• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staf

I'm okay with most of the animations that they've shown so far. But I gotta admit that some of the gifs/pic that people come up with are so damn funny. Like, the Shrek picture in the 13 minutes video thread, made me legit chuckle.

Yeah, the GIFs have been a gold mine. May they keep coming. If Andromeda turns out to be a great game then i call it a win-win lol.

Yeul

Yes you can change your first name, but Ryder stays as Ryder. If you choose to keep your default name (Scott/Sara) characters will vocalize it in some cases. However, if you choose to change your first name to a custom one I suppose it will default to the characters saying something like "Ryder" or "Pathfinder".

Don't play the copy paste card on me about "Oh here goes the animation troll again". Lips don't pop out of your face like that. It looks like a bug to me (anchor points or something, I know nothing about animation) that's why I asked and that's why I posted here.
Animation troll? What are you talking about?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm okay with most of the animations that they've shown so far. But I gotta admit that some of the gifs/pic that people come up with are so damn funny. Like, the Shrek picture in the 13 minutes video thread, made me legit chuckle.

THEN I SAW HER FACE

tumblr_o8qbrd3lZk1u31sp3o1_540.jpg

NOW I'M A BELIEVER

Killzig

The most jarring bit of the exploration trailer was having her face spliced in for no apparent reason. Don't think I've ever been as put off by a character before. I came around on Sera though, so maybe she'll grow on me in game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Animation troll? What are you talking about?

Unless I'm wrong, it's referring to the 'GAF Hivemind' 'setting the narrative' w/r/t the animation jank that has been bandied about in this thread to varying degrees (and the accompanying use of said gifs as rationale for varying levels of bashing).

Officer Sanchez did not care for the implication that such criticism should be discarded as valid, at least with regards to the lip-popping issue shown in the recent footage.

Ridesh

Banned
Man, people should be thrilled about having a game of this scale with those gorgeous locations and that level of production values instead of actively looking for little things to bitch about.

Man, people should be thrilled about having a game of this scale with those gorgeous locations and that level of production values instead of actively looking for little things to bitch about.

I really hope this game does well for them, because I really don't want to lose the only space opera video game franchise there is out there right now!

Sub_Level

I really hope this game does well for them, because I really don't want to lose the only space opera video game franchise there is out there right now!

5 years of dev time implies a large cost. But I have a feeling it will sell enough to justify a sequel.

I mean, its Mass Effect. And its on 3 platforms.

The intro footage on IGN looks really good. For those who are worried about spoilers, it's only the setup to what is presumably the first action/exploration segment. Can't see any significant dialogue choices either, it seems to ease you into the interaction system.

I would have liked to see
the actual launch of the Arks - that moment felt like it needed more oxygen before the cut to 634 years later
(slight intro spoiler). Still, they manage to convey a lot of story in a few short scenes.

Hype.

Sou Da

The intro footage on IGN looks really good. For those who are worried about spoilers, it's only the setup to what is presumably the first action/exploration segment. Can't see any significant dialogue choices either, it seems to ease you into the interaction system.

I would have liked to see
the actual launch of the Arks - that moment felt like it needed more oxygen before the cut to 634 years later
(slight intro spoiler). Still, they manage to convey a lot of story in a few short scenes.

Hype.

I feel like some of that might have been attached to the CC?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My thirst to watch the whole IGN video is so real....I watched up until the title screen then shut it down promptly.

Not sure if I can hold out really, this is a good test of my volus willpower levels.

I feel like some of that might have been attached to the CC?

That would make sense. God, I hope we get a chance to see Ryder move and talk before that first shot in the footage because it takes a fairly long time to get there. For those who like to tinker with the creator, it's going to be so frustrating to watch that intro again and again if that's the first time you see your character in motion.

amoebae

Even though I've been told there are no real spoilers in the 13 minute video, I'm holding off. I know the title screen happens during it, and as daft as it may sound that's a pretty important part of playing a new Mass Effect game for me -- the little bit of action/dialogue/cut scene followed by the reveal of the Mass Effect logo. I want to experience that for myself the first time.

[True story: I've been replaying ME3 for the first time since right after the Citadel DLC came out, so it's been a long time. When the Mass Effect title screen came up at the beginning... I'm not ashamed to say I welled up a bit.]

DevilDog

Watched the 13 minute video.

Actually looked good. And this time I'm not even trying to hype myself up.

Apart from the reasoning of going to Andromeda. I hope BioWare is wise and doesn't dwell too much on it. Better rip the band-aid rather than slowly removing it.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the 13 minute video.

Actually looked good. And this time I'm not even trying to hype myself up.

Apart from the reasoning of going to Andromeda. I hope BioWare is wise and doesn't dwell too much on it. Better rip the band-aid rather than slowly removing it.

Did they touch upon the reasoning in that video? If so, how did they justify it?

If Im worried about anything regarding this game, its the script. They played very fast and loose with the internal logic and consistency of the ME universe in Mass Effect 3, and i suppose much of it is because they didnt at all plan ahead for the final game when they did ME2, as Mac Walters said in an interview a while back. After playing ME3 and reading that interview, i have always worried that they simply arent up to the task of writing a good, consistent main narrative, even if they have been good at smaller isolated narratives such as loyalty missions, etc.

I have come to view the explanation for the migration to Andromeda as a kind of litmus test for how consequent they will be with the narrative ever since we found out that its apparently not a reaction to the reaper threat, and therefore difficult to justify. Maybe they will introduce new narrative elements that perfectly explain the expediton, or maybe they can try to shroud it im mystery, im fine either way. Just dont give us half-assed explanations, not in a game where the narrative is supposed to be a core focus.

Renekton

Based on the exploration footage of Krogans, it seems like they directly ported the UE3 models in. I wonder how many extra polygons they added per model for this generation.

Based on the exploration footage of Krogans, it seems like they directly ported the UE3 models in. I wonder how many extra polygons they added per model for this generation.

If they did they messed something up because the eyes and faces of all the Krogan so far except Drack look really weird.

The space campsites, space scanning herbs and killing wildlife to improve viability points is definitely sounding inquisitiony. I really hope the metagame layers aren't going to murder this game for me. Got a sinking feeling that there's going to be a lot of crafting and such too.

prag16

Banned
Did they touch upon the reasoning in that video? If so, how did they justify it?
The reasoning is basically, "lol let's go to another galaxy YOLO bitches" .

Maybe there'll be more to it once we dig into the narrative. If there's not I guess it's no big deal but eh, we'll see. Doesn't affect my sky high hype level.

Reviews go up on March 20th at 9 AM eastern.
Cue the "that's too close to launch, something something red flagzzzzz" chorus.
On one hand, it seems kinda weird, since the game would've been out for 4-5 days, due to EA/Origin Access, but on the other hand, you're only getting 10 hours of campaign and unlimited MP (IIRC), so it's not terrible.

But yeah, I'd be more comfortable if the embargo ended sooner.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The space campsites, space scanning herbs and killing wildlife to improve viability points is definitely sounding inquisitiony. I really hope the metagame layers aren't going to murder this game for me. Got a sinking feeling that there's going to be a lot of crafting and such too.

I vaguely remember seeing/hearing/reading that at least in terms of scanning resources, the 'scans' don't directly account for a flat # of palladium that you get, they turn into research 'credits' of which a certain # of each of the three types (I think you can see the three symbols on the IGN video when Scott is scanning, at least) are needed to make weapons/armor/mods that need to be crafted.

So it's at least not something you have to lug around with/inventory management as much as DA:I.

DOWN

Banned
Gonna finish my original trilogy playthrough on Xbox One. I had already started the first one out of excitement for Andromeda so I'll finish that this weekend and then head on to ME2 and 3. I've never played any 3 DLC including From Ashes of Citadel despite owning them all for years.

Sub_Level

Gonna finish my original trilogy playthrough on Xbox One. I had already started the first one out of excitement for Andromeda so I'll finish that this weekend and then head on to ME2 and 3. I've never played any 3 DLC including From Ashes of Citadel despite owning them all for years.

Citadel is the ultimate send off to the original trilogy.

If you don't manage to finish all of 3 in time for Andromeda, make sure you at least finish that one!

Rever

Neo Member
Watched the 13 minute intro.
How does a ship that's capable of intergalactic travel crash into space seaweed!? SAM/Hyperion should have a shit ton of sensors constantly scanning for stuff like that. I know it's mentioned in the intro that his sensors isn't working correctly and such,but that should have set off alarms of its own...

Plus there are huge windows on the bridge.. what the hell were the pilots doing....playing galaga?

Forgot this was the community thread,,,,

People have quoted me below before I spoiler tagged my post. May be best to just go to the next page to avoid...

Xanathus

I definitely feel that Andromeda is going to be Inquisition-in-space. Everything about it from the way the character moves, the camera, the meta-game aspect of doing stuff around the planet to get Influe- I mean Viability points looks like they just took it from Inquisition. Hopefully they learn from Inquisition that the general gaming public is too dumb to leave the Hinterlands on their own, and first put you in a "tutorial" planet with a small number of side-objectives. Witcher 3 did that by putting you in White Orchards.

DOWN

Banned
I think it's quite likely that they were well aware of the positive reception The Witcher 3 got and of the shortcomings Inquisition was criticized for over the past 2+ years since Inquisition released.

Watched the 13 minute intro. How does a ship that's capable of intergalactic travel crash into space seaweed!? SAM/Hyperion should have a shit ton of sensors constantly scanning for stuff like that. I know it's mentioned in the intro that his sensors isn't working correctly and such,but that should have set off alarms of its own...

Plus there are huge windows on the bridge.. what the hell were the pilots doing....playing galaga?

Damn, you're right. Mass Effect has really let down their Alistair Reynolds/Arthur C. Clarke roots.

We don't yet know how quickly the Scourge forms - but yeah, it makes you wonder how the AI planned on handling space debris in general.

So um, how we going to handle spoilers here - is the promo material fair game or is talking about the IGN intro too much for people?

I think Shinobi said "no story spoilers" in this thread a page or so back.

Watched the 13 minute intro. How does a ship that's capable of intergalactic travel crash into space seaweed!? SAM/Hyperion should have a shit ton of sensors constantly scanning for stuff like that. I know it's mentioned in the intro that his sensors isn't working correctly and such,but that should have set off alarms of its own...

We don't yet know how quickly the Scourge forms - but yeah, it makes you wonder how the AI planned on handling space debris in general.

So um, how we going to handle spoilers here - is the promo material fair game or is talking about the IGN intro too much for people?

DevilDog

Since we've seen so many aliens in ME, I would like to see some more variation with sexes. It would be cool to have aliens that have 3 or more, much like how some species on Earth do.

Maybe they wanted to "get in close to finish them off".

Dany

Banned
Really liked the intro from IGN. Through, imo I wish there was more grandeur placed into the mission on the onset. But perhaps they build on that through the first few missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom