• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Nier: Automata x Mass Effect: Andromeda thread rages on in the General Discussion forum have this nice screenshot of Cora someone posted on the subreddit.

tumblr_omaibxjbuG1r8kbpjo1_1280.jpg

Mindlog

Fighting machines is fun, but I'm not sure if I'd call that great either.
The combat system is not very good at engagements that rapidly change distances. With certain enemies using a ropecaster is less of a strategic decision so much as one that attempts to circumvent that camera. I initially went stealth heavy and in most cases it was very easy to avoid combat entirely with overwhelming alpha strikes. You have to force yourself to stop using certain tools that make the game too easy. Then you stumble on the combination of War Bow + Sharpshooter and have to avoid that as well.

I really like the game. Just very interesting to compare the critique that some games receive compared to others.

While the Nier: Automata x Mass Effect: Andromeda thread rages on in the General Discussion forum have this nice screenshot of Cora someone posted on the subreddit.

I know who my bae is now. Wonder if I should pick Scott or Sara for my first playthrough. I pick male characters initially when playing new games so I might mix things up a bit.

Tsukumo

The MP pictures continue.

There's something about the eyes of the Krogan and Turians in Frostbite that weirds me out.

EDIT: The picture is their prestige system for those confused. This is the way it was described by their lead designer.

Hopefully the levels are capped, otherwise the MP is going to fall into the same traps of Inquisition's.
The color customization seems a bit poor. I thought they would have learned a thing or two from Warframe. Not that it's much different from ME3 customization options, but it worries me to see they made changes were none was needed (promotions) and left out things that needed a bit of an overhaul (customization).

Buckle

Man, I really hope you can romance Cora as FemRyder.

Not really a fan of the male voice so far and I typically enjoyed Mass Effect more as a renegade badass space lady cop.

90% of that was probably Jennifer Hale being awesome as hell.

prag16

Banned
Not that it is a surprise or anything but a dev on twitter confirmed that you are cut off from story progression at a certain point in the EA Access/Origin Access trial.

It was the same case in the Inquisition trial as well.
I hope the cutoff isn't like 2 hours in. How far along (played at an average pace) was the DA:I cutoff?

Your daily MP picture with accompanying tweet.

https://twitter.com/DiscoBabaloo/status/838545536626081792

Supposedly this is the link between singleplayer and multiplayer: Missions. Complete them and earn rewards for both modes. They seem to be timed.

I'm a little confused about the rewards though. I assume the bottom "Pathfinder" rewards are the things for singleplayer but that would imply some sort of loot box system for singleplayer no? Not sure how I feel about that.

I hope the cutoff isn't like 2 hours in. How far along (played at an average pace) was the DA:I cutoff?

I didn't run out of stuff to do within the 10 hours if that's what you're asking.

prag16

Banned
I didn't run out of stuff to do within the 10 hours if that's what you're asking.
Cool. Thanks. Sounds like a situation where you could rush through pushing the main storyline ahead and finish in far less than 10 hours, but there should be enough content to fill most of the time. If I run out I can always hop into multi for a bit.

Not that it is a surprise or anything but a dev on twitter confirmed that you are cut off from story progression at a certain point in the EA Access/Origin Access trial.

It was the same case in the Inquisition trial as well.

If you do start the early access trial... can you pick up your progress when it unlocks, or do you start over?

JeffG

If you do start the early access trial... can you pick up your progress when it unlocks, or do you start over?

if its like DA:I, you just pick up where you left it

Note: if playing on xbox, do not leave the game in suspend mode. that counts on your time. Explicitly exit the game

All your progress is saved. And if you decide to buy the game digitally after using up your trial you do not have to re-download anything except for some patches that may or may not come out before launch. Also achievements can be earned as well if you care about them.

Having used it for Inquisition and Battlefield 1 I can definitely say it's worth it. Just be prepared to deal with the game telling you "You have this many hours/minutes left in the trial" every so often.

I'm a little confused about the rewards though. I assume the bottom "Pathfinder" rewards are the things for singleplayer but that would imply some sort of loot box system for singleplayer no? Not sure how I feel about that.

Looks like you can only earn SP loot boxes through the MP. It's artificial loot without playing the game.

As a day 1 MP player I'm going to keep all the single player loot sealed, I don't want to break the game by being an overpowered lvl1 killing machine lol.

Looks like you can only earn SP loot boxes through the MP. It's artificial loot without playing the game.

As a day 1 MP player I'm going to keep all the single player loot sealed, I don't want to break the game by being an overpowered lvl1 killing machine lol.

Yeah I tweeted him looking for clarification after. A relief to know regardless.

Killzig

GfEsur5.png

I take this to mean that MP rewards are still doled out for MP activities as well as SP rewards. The SP rewards can also be collected by dispatching Apex Force on 'table missions' like what we had in DA:I.

So. 16th March 10 hrs for EA/Origin Access. How does that effect VPN-ing the game come 21st March? If I play on 16th can I still unlock on 21st?

Killzig

Yet another topic in general gaming that I regret entering. If it's not a hate circlejerk it's not a ME/Bioware topic.

What is the common ground? The games don't look anything alike.

edit: n/m I forget this site just lumps jrpgs in with crpgs.

prag16

Banned
What is the common ground? The games don't look anything alike.

edit: n/m I forget this site just lumps jrpgs in with crpgs.
Yeah that's possibly what was most confusing about that topic. The games don't seem anything alike.

It's not surprising that the fan base of a pretty niche type of game (as good as it may be, and I mean niche in the broader sense, not in the gaf sense) descended on the thread to evangelize. ME was basically collateral damage especially when some of the Bioware hate squad started showing up to pile on.

At this point I just want the game to be out already. It won't stop the hate train (actually it'll probably only get worse), but it'll be easier to ignore.

SliChillax

Bought Origin Access, pre-ordered the super duper edition of the game. I'm incredibly excited, can't believe I'll play it in 10 days.

SPCTRE

Yup, the early 10 hour access got me to finally subscribe to EA Access.

Think I'll cancel my physical preorder so I can play seamlessly on launch day with a digital preorder.

prag16

Banned
Heh, of course the 7 day trial offer ends tomorrow; clever by them I guess; making sure people have to shell out the $5 bucks for early Mass Effect. No free rides.

I can't wait until after release so the threadshitting about "red flags" stops.

And instead gets replaced with "paid reviews!!!" or talking about how reviews don't matter anymore.

prag16

Banned
Wow, people are starting to shit on MEA in the GR Wildlands review thread.

I can't wait until after release so the threadshitting about "red flags" stops.

And instead gets replaced with "paid reviews!!!" or talking about how reviews don't matter anymore.

The term "red flags" has officially lost all meaning for me. -_-

I love Horizon so far. So no slight on that game, but one of the reasons I hope ME:A scores higher on metacritic than Horizon is for the meltdowns. popcorn.gif Gaf will NOT be happy if that transpires (though to be fair after a honeymoon period, some have come out of the woodwork to shit on that game now too).

Either way, as I said earlier, regardless of the gaf narrative after launch; it'll definitely be easier to ignore when the game is out. Though I guarantee these people will do their damnedest to shit up our OT too.

Mindlog

And another trope getting under my skin.
If the camera dramatically pans as someone is hanging from a ledge by their fingertips I will kick the next space child I see.

Almost here.
wkddgJC.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nice.

Something about these videos gives me feels. I think the music is really fucking good.

Also 7 golden worlds... does that means 7 will be the number of explorable planets? Hmmm....

That seems like a low number considering the number of planets we could land on in the past games(I know, in term of size they don't compare, but still). So, out of a "hundred" of planets, 93 of them would just serve as scanning/material resources and some lore info as text?

Also, mention of
quarians!

Retrofluxed

That seems like a low number considering the number of planets we could land on in the past games(I know, in term of size they don't compare, but still). So, out of a hundred of planets, 93 of them would just serve as scanning/material resources and some lore info as text?

I'll bet that we land on "corridor-like" planets for loyalty missions.

Also 7 golden worlds... does that means 7 will be the number of explorable planets? Hmmm....

I wouldn't conclude anything from that. There's bound to be other playable environments (arks, the Nexus, other space stations, ships, hostile planets). I also wouldn't be surprised if we don't visit all seven designated golden worlds in this game.

Nier vs. Mass Effect thread... Lol. Why even bother asking that question here. I know I know, GAF isn't a hivemind, but the overall consensus about Mass Effect here is clear enough. It's tiring to sift through all the concern trolling and shitposting that goes on here. I do kind of appreciate that Horizon has become the new game du jour to compare everything else against, if only because it means I can stop hearing about the damn Witcher in every thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom