• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could easily pass for ten different SF franchises, tbh. Although that's as much ME's issue as it is those renders.

SF? Science fiction?

True, but I was just referring to the visual fidelity of it more than the art design itself...hell, BF4 characters already look much better in Frostbite 3. And I remember tweeting Yanick (the game's studio director) about how good they looked and what we can expect from the next ME in Frostbite, and he pretty much said that given Bioware's focus on great looking characters, we'll be more than pleased with how good they look.

Ah found it:

j3AcpCaL2hzs5.png

Advice, if you've already beaten ME3: Get at least the Citadel DLC, play through ME3 to just before the point of no return. Then play the Citadel DLC. That now becomes your ending. After completing that, turn off the system.

I guarantee you will leave with much better feelings towards ME than you did after getting the "real ending".

Ha, I might just do that. I really don't think I can stomach that ending again.

atrossity

Banned
I am not sure if this is the greatest game series of all time, or legend of zelda.

I have a lot of friends who played ME2 or ME3 but never started from the beginning and they always say "well, its OK." Its hard for me to explain, but its like watching a movie and starting halfway through to me. The thing that makes these games so great is the evolving story and really detailed characters- not the gunfights. Those are actually pretty boring.

I only wish that the extended cut ending (the one where the battle against the reapers is lost- and a hologram of liara is left for future generations) was made canon. That way I feel that the series could have continued in a meaningful way.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I only wish that the extended cut ending (the one where the battle against the reapers is lost- and a hologram of liara is left for future generations) was made canon. That way I feel that the series could have continued in a meaningful way.

But then that would mean that the Reapers would have succeed in eradicating all the races. So you would have to say goodbye to turians, krogans, asaris, salarians, drells, volus, and i can go on. A sequel like that wouldn't even be Mass Effect anymore.

Subitai

But then that would mean that the Reapers would have succeed in eradicating all the races. So you would have to say goodbye to turians, krogans, asaris, salarians, drells, volus, and i can go on. A sequel like that wouldn't even be Mass Effect anymore.
Yeah, you can't make a game without humans.

Thinking about it some more, I'd be interested in seeing if they could get multiplayer up to 6 or modes that allowed giving each player the option of an AI partner.

i-Lo

Well they did look really good. The character models were pretty superb when ME launched in 2007.

Mostly true for non-human female characters.

That said I remember this showing a rather poor side of ME's modelling and reiterated the issue that we still have, i.e. lack of proper animation from under the chin down to the neck (including adam's apple) which can lead to some awkward looking models:

bodymedis3w.jpg

After Mass Effect 3, I really just want something that I will have fun playing again. ME1 and ME2 had a lot of things I liked and didn't like, but I had a great time just playing them. ME3 always made me want to put the controller down and do something else.

Darmik

I remember Wrex's character model blowing my mind back in the day. The humans never improved all that much through the series but I'm sure they'll look significantly better in future titles. I'm hoping the next game will provide similar wow moments the original gave me.

My primary disappointment with the ending was that I had no idea at all how they could continue the series. The series can't live off prequels forever and if they want to move into the future I think they would need to make one of the endings canon.

I'm still incredibily excited to see what they do next. Mass Effect was still overall my favorite franchise of the gen. It's the kind of franchise that can hold several kinds of gameplay styles and spin offs. I think that's actually one of the more wasted potentials of the franchise so far, all of the spin off's have been mobile games. I'd love a stealth game or a game based on a party member's past (though that would probably have worked better for DLC).

Mostly true for non-human female characters.

That said I remember this showing a rather poor side of ME's modelling and reiterated the issue that we still have, i.e. lack of proper animation from under the chin down to the neck (including adam's apple) which can lead to some awkward looking models:

bodymedis3w.jpg

Very true, I was mostly referring to the faces, but I agree animation overall needs to drastically improve in the next Mass Effect. Hope they work on making transitioning animations and running/taking cover really smooth and fluid.

But characters like Wrex, Grunt, Garrus, Shepard, Liara, Vega, etc had pretty damn good detail in the faces.

kai3345

Banned
I still need to finish my Femshep run of all 3 games. I'm on ME2 right now

Also the picture in the OP is invalid due to a lack of Wrex.

Bisnic

I still need to finish my Femshep run of all 3 games. I'm on ME2 right now

Also the picture in the OP is invalid due to a lack of Wrex.

Yeah, what's up with that? Who is insane enough to kill him in ME1 other than for curiosity?

Dany

Banned
Mass Effect always had great faces but animation was always stilted, so hopefully they move towards mo-caping that.

Does anyone want a different type of shooter or genre for the next game?

Does anyone want a different type of shooter or genre for the next game?

They said it'll be the same style as the previous games (third person). They should keep it like that. It can't be anything other than an FPS or TPS given its use of weapons, and an FPS sounds terrible lol.

Bisnic

Someone with a tweeter account need to ask Yanick Roy what to expect with animations. Maybe we'll get an answer if we're lucky.

OP reminded me how much i loved ALL of the games. That ending though...

Interested to see where the series goes but the ending of Mass Effect 3 has made me pretty reluctant to invest heavily into another Bioware series.

TheChaos

Echoing the sentiment that it needs to have the overall ME1 vibe of exploration and mystery. A reboot is probably the only way to go as they kinda wrote themselves into a corner with the endings.

The whole "inclusiveness" message from them feels so hollow and manufactured as during Mass Effect 1 and 2 they are swearing up and down that Shepard is a pre-defined character and cannot be gay (But FemShep being a lesbian is OK though).

Methinks they changed their tune after somebody called them out on it.

boxter432

Just finished ME:3 Special Edition (WiiU) and got the
SO BE IT
ending. hmm. it was late at night and I was tired so it least the ending wasn't long.

Whilst the animations and crappy textures were janky one of the biggest issues for me was the "magically appearing weapon" in in-game cutscenes. You know the kind of thing you spend most of the game with the Mattock because you love it then bang a cutscene happens and magically Shepard is now sporting the fucking Avenger for a cutscene.

Whilst the animations and crappy textures were janky one of the biggest issues for me was the "magically appearing weapon" in in-game cutscenes. You know the kind of thing you spend most of the game with the Mattock because you love it then bang a cutscene happens and magically Shepard is now sporting the fucking Avenger for a cutscene.

Hah I agree with that. I'm going to bring that up too, never hurts to let them know our feelings on these issues. Hopefully they'll fix details like that.

Blinck

So I'm replaying ME1, just started a few minutes ago.

Is there any kind of mod like that Headmorph thing for ME3? It's really hard to make a good looking female Shepard with the presets they have :p

Love the music in the first game god damn it.

Bisnic

What's even more weird is that some cutscenes DO use your currently equipped weapon, while others use an Avenger or Predator. I'm not even sure if this is intended or a bug because of that. :lol

Thanks for asking questions shinobi, hopefully he doesn't get tired of your questions. ;p

i-Lo

*Warning* GIFs ahead (took me awhile):

Progress made over the years:

KoTOR:

Carth The Sceptic

Small time punks

Tsundere

ME 1:

Shepard + Expendable asset

Dr. Chakwas

Liara T'Soni

ME2:

Shepard

Dr. Chakwas + Shepard (awkward)

Trinity

Liara Me'Horny

Shepard (again under different lights)

ME3:

The many facets of Shepard

Liara's many moods

Dr. Chakwas the alcholic

Now from what I've seen, ME games tend to have a more realistic and higher fidelity visuals (including characters). So given what we saw of DA Inquisition, can what can we expect of ME4?

For reference:

DA 2:

Dwarf plus Dominatrix

DA Inquisition (great hair):

Dwarf (?) crouches

Warrior looks on

Aeryn Sun/Vala Mal Doran/Chloe?

dont think i've ever been as excited for the potential future of a new IP as I was after I played the first Mass Effect

then 2 and 3 happened

fool me once..

As much as I hate 3 i'll definetly give them a chance with whatever the announcement/first footage is.

I think you're about to be fooled again...

I'm so done giving them second chances. I stuck to my guns and RENTED ME3 like I said I would. I've held off on picking it up--for $8.95 most recently because it is the only way I can send them a message they understand. And I'm a completionist. That's how hard they dropped the ball on ME3. An entire series narrative cast aside, and the majority of your choices having zero consequence beyond filling a bar...

So to stay on topic--I'm looking forward to them retconning out the entirety of 3 and giving us the real third chapter in the femshep saga. Until then, colour me unimpressed.

And don't tell me "they've said they're done with Sheppard" because we all know what the word of BioWare is worth nowadays...

i-Lo

The dwarf's name is Varric and the woman in the last gif is Morrigan :)

Nice GIFs, makes me want to put some images together and post too. *starts googling*

I'll raise thee a few more in the mean time:

I hope for space related battles and other scenarios with fidelity like this:

ibrRDNQZX5IUb4.gif

Others:

http://i.minus.com/irzljnksAleq8.gif

http://i.minus.com/iIXhX7yIHcAHd.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibtW6zhL8JbIju.gif

http://i.minus.com/iCoQqCpZI8v5v.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibiJJ5eyVhmNMY.gif

Also can you imagine playing ME4 with character fidelity very close to this:

ivkKmuUzuqv9s.gif

I'll keep an open min...bah, who am I fooling. I'll definitely be buying the next game. I'm looking forward to hearing more, and seeing the first screens.

I am a little concerned, as I though that Omega was a weak add-on. Things could go wrong.

The key thing to realize is that the magic that was the original Mass Effect is long gone. It's not going to happen again. I'm not going to go into the next game expecting it, or bust. Give me a solid, enjoyable game that gives me more adventures in the Mass Effect universe, and I'll be happy.

I expect the next game that grabs a hold of me like Mass Effect did is going to be some new IP we don't even know about yet, from some previously unheralded team toiling away as we speak.

Also can you imagine playing ME4 with character fidelity very close to this:

ivkKmuUzuqv9s.gif

Honestly I'm expecting quality that good. We already see some pretty stunning character models in Battlefield 4, and that's just an FPS by DICE, where the main focus most likely isn't on the fidelity of the characters, unlike the Mass Effect games.

I'm expecting some downright spectacular models and faces in the next ME.

Xamdou

Bioware will set the bar for facial animations very high once again like what they did with original Mass Effect.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I beat ME3 today. A little disappointed by the finale, but no complaints with the ending. I found this one too be far too heavy on the linear cover shooter mechanics. Additionally, basically all of my characters in ME2 died and thus I only got Edi, James and Liara for the entirety of ME3. A little lame for me.

That being said, I'm still very stoked for next gen Mass Effect. I want more options, more conversation and a deeper squad system if they are going to stick with it.

Bisnic

I beat ME3 today. A little disappointed by the finale, but no complaints with the ending. I found this one too be far too heavy on the linear cover shooter mechanics. Additionally, basically all of my characters in ME2 died and thus I only got Edi, James and Liara for the entirety of ME3. A little lame for me.

That being said, I'm still very stoked for next gen Mass Effect. I want more options, more conversation and a deeper squad system if they are going to stick with it.
L25cjbM.jpg

Nice way to make ME3 even less interesting, you missed so much.

I've been having an overwhelming urge to play through the whole series again, even though I've beaten it all about 3 times, what is wrong with me! ME3 was by no means my favourite but I feel like enough time's passed that I can just enjoy it and not get too hung up on the stuff I didn't like.

Femshep playthrough here I come, love those Janeway vibes!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd say Dragon Age: Inquisition is a good metric for the kind of character quality you'll see in Mass Effect 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom