• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdrr gnr

How can you be so sure. Microsoft did it with RoTR, I don't think any of us saw that coming. It's not like rumors were swirling before the reveal that Microsoft was buying the exclusive rights to it, like there were with Minecraft... which brings me to my next point, in that Microsoft bought Mojang, so you can bet your ass a Minecraft 2 will be completely Microsoft exclusive.
Minecraft is as valuable/popular as it is because it is available on so many platforms. I'm not sure what will happen with Minecraft 2, but there is absolutely a chance of that game making its way onto Sony platforms. Timed-exclusivity is always a possibility, but Minecraft 2 as an MS exclusive is not fait accompli.
ME was exclusive to Xbox for a good while. Until part of the series finally went multiplatform and eventually all of it, but it took a very long time. So it's safe to say ME is pretty recognized as an Xbox franchise even though it's not multiplatform anymore. Microsoft knows this. And they have the money to buy up timed exclusivity all they want. So I ask again, how can you be so sure?
I agree that the association is there. I consider ME as a de facto MS-exclusive precisely because the game was so much bigger on Xbox than on PS. But you also have to consider EA's position. They have this successful brand that sells well, reviews-well, and has a fanbase now across three platforms. Nothing about making that exclusive benefits them unless MS offers an absurd amount of money for 6 months to 1 year of exclusivity. EA isn't Square Enix, ME isn't Tomb Raider, and the PS4 is not the PS3. Timed-exclusive DLC I could see, but this game will absolutely launch on PS4, Xbox One, and PC at the same time.

Mass Effect really isn't "recognized as an Xbox franchise" though. One of its games was "exclusive" (which just meant that it wasn't on PS3) for a while; that's not a huge brand message. BioWare had been shopping around for someone to buy them for a while. They were considering Microsoft for a while (which, I suspect, is why the original Mass Effect wasn't on the PS3 for a while), but they later settled on EA. I think the Microsoft exclusivity ship has sailed.

No, what really happened is this: BioWare pitched Mass Effect to to Microsoft, as they had already formed a relationship with Kotor and Jade Empire (which they also published). BioWare and Pandemic merged together from Elevation Partners, which was headed by John Riccitiello. Right before Mass Effect 1 was released, EA announced they were purchasing BioWare/Pandemic, the same year that John Riccitiello rejoined EA to become CEO. The reason the original Mass Effect wasn't on PS3 is because Microsoft published it, and EA only recently got the publishing rights back.

It's certainly a franchise most associated with Xbox, much like something like Metal Gear is most associated with Play Station. The next one won't be exclusive, but I bet it will have exclusive/timed DLC and co-marketing from Microsoft just like Dragon Age is getting.

No, what really happened is this: BioWare pitched Mass Effect to to Microsoft, as they had already formed a relationship with Kotor and Jade Empire (which they also published). BioWare and Pandemic merged together from Elevation Partners, which was headed by John Riccitiello. Right before Mass Effect 1 was released, EA announced they were purchasing BioWare/Pandemic, the same year that John Riccitiello rejoined EA to become CEO. The reason the original Mass Effect wasn't on PS3 is because Microsoft published it, and EA only recently got the publishing rights back.
Thanks! I had forgotten that Riccitiello owned the holding company.

Yeah, he's probably the main reason why they got acquired in the first place. That and SWTOR. Of BioWare's IPs, Mass Effect was already tied to Microsoft with the first game about to release, Dragon Age was still a ways off, and Jade Empire wasn't exactly a mainstream game. EA's biggest competition, Activison had a huge MMO with World of Warcraft, so they needed something to compete. What better way than an MMO based on Star Wars?

Their recent sales performance is actually worse than usual for this time of year.
okay, but compare xbone's sales performance right now to its competitor and...?
That's not what "exclusive" means.
I don't care. I know what the word means and what I explained to you is my interpretation of exclusivity of software in the video game industry.
Minecraft is as valuable/popular as it is because it is available on so many platforms. I'm not sure what will happen with Minecraft 2, but there is absolutely a chance of that game making its way onto Sony platforms. Timed-exclusivity is always a possibility, but Minecraft 2 as an MS exclusive is not fait accompli.
Fine, but you didn't say anything about what I said about RoTR.
I agree that the association is there. I consider ME as a de facto MS-exclusive precisely because the game was so much bigger on Xbox than on PS. But you also have to consider EA's position. They have this successful brand that sells well, reviews-well, and has a fanbase now across three platforms. Nothing about making that exclusive benefits them unless MS offers an absurd amount of money for 6 months to 1 year of exclusivity. EA isn't Square Enix, ME isn't Tomb Raider, and the PS4 is not the PS3. Timed-exclusive DLC I could see, but this game will absolutely launch on PS4, Xbox One, and PC at the same time.
4 platforms** you're forgetting the Wii U now. Or you're forgetting PC.

I actually like EA, and I know the internet and typical gamer's general consensus is that EA is evil but I appreciate them because if it weren't for them, I'd have never been able to enjoy the beautiful thing that is Me2 on my Ps3, and see what I've been missing out on all this time.

However, they did say their mission statement is $, period right? So if Microsoft offers them $ for timed exclusivity, which they easily can, why would they say no?

Nevermind, I thought ME2 was released on PS3 in 2010 too.
Dude I saw your post once and then refreshed the page. It wasn't a bad post, can you re-put it in with the edit?

What better way than an MMO based on Star Wars?

except ME ain't an MMO man

It's certainly a franchise most associated with Xbox, much like something like Metal Gear is most associated with Play Station. The next one won't be exclusive, but I bet it will have exclusive/timed DLC and co-marketing from Microsoft just like Dragon Age is getting.
well, that's too much for me to digest coz I don't know all those names
who dat

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dude I saw your post once and then refreshed the page. It wasn't a bad post, can you re-put it in with the edit?

I don't remember exactly what I said, anyway, my whole point was that ME is now a multiplatform franchise, doesn't matter if it was "exclusive"(ignoring the PC versions existence) to Microsoft in the first years.

If EA had purchased Bioware a few years sooner, you can bet Mass Effect 2 would have released at the same time on both PS3 and 360 and that Mass Effect 1 might have been ported to PS3 a lot sooner. Mass Effect 1 was probably ported so late because EA/Bioware was wondering if it was worth it or not during all that time.

How can you be so sure. Microsoft did it with RoTR, I don't think any of us saw that coming. It's not like rumors were swirling before the reveal that Microsoft was buying the exclusive rights to it, like there were with Minecraft... which brings me to my next point, in that Microsoft bought Mojang, so you can bet your ass a Minecraft 2 will be completely Microsoft exclusive.

ME was exclusive to Xbox for a good while. Until part of the series finally went multiplatform and eventually all of it, but it took a very long time. So it's safe to say ME is pretty recognized as an Xbox franchise even though it's not multiplatform anymore.

Microsoft knows this. And they have the money to buy up timed exclusivity all they want. So I ask again, how can you be so sure?
It's not happening.

100%

I don't remember exactly what I said, anyway, my whole point was that ME is now a multiplatform franchise, doesn't matter if it was "exclusive"(ignoring the PC versions existence) to Microsoft in the first years.

If EA had purchased Bioware a few years sooner, you can bet Mass Effect 2 would have released at the same time on both PS3 and 360 and that Mass Effect 1 might have been ported to PS3 a lot sooner. Mass Effect 1 was probably ported so late because EA/Bioware was wondering if it was worth it or not during all that time.

you said something about only one game being exclusive or something like that.

Wasn't EA the original publisher of Me2 anyways? So if they wanted to right away why didn't they release the Ps3 version?

Also back when that PC gamer found the Ps3 code in either the 360 or PC version of Me2, Bioware lied and said it wasn't coming to Ps3

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-ps3-refs-in-me2-code-erroneous

which was bullshit, because it did. they just like to fucking lie to us.

I was talking about SWTOR.
ok my bad
The term you're searching for is "console exclusive."
perhaps but I don't find a need to include the word "console" when I talk about exclusives.
Former CEO of EA.
has things at EA been drastically different since his departure?
It's not happening.

100%
And if we were living on a day before August 12th, 2014, and I told you I fear RoTR becoming xbone exclusive, would your response be

"it's not happening. 100%"?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
you said something about only one game being exclusive or something like that.

Wasn't EA the original publisher of Me2 anyways? So if they wanted to right away why didn't they release the Ps3 version?

Development on the PS3 version probably started later and wasn't ready to release in 2010, I dunno.

EA acquired BioWare 2 years before ME2 was released. It's likely that Microsoft payed for a year of exclusivity, or it may have been an agreement they released (I suspect it could be a reason why ME1 showed up on PC so soon, maybe they allowed that in exchange for timed exclusivity on the sequel, but that's just a guess). The reason ME1 was ported so late is because Microsoft still had the rights for it at the time (Microsoft still had publishing rights after EA acquired BioWare). They either expired, or EA bought them out. I'd guess that they expired, given that it took just over 5 years.

mass-effect-mass-effect-3-commander-shepard-motivational-posters-fresh-new-hd-wallpaper.jpg

7d79aa4d8721e133d33b700125b66e4ef322c73c.jpg__846x0_q80.jpg

Anyone else really like the Japanese box art? Shepard's face looks a bit off, but overall it's pretty cool. Microsoft changed the box art for a lot of their games in Japan, it's always interesting too see what other regions get. Here's Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Crackdown.

ME2 and 3's box art is the same over there. Kind of a shame, I've always thought ME3's was the weakest, so it would have been cool to have an alternate one.

Patryn

Anyone else really like the Japanese box art? Shepard's face looks a bit off, but overall it's pretty cool. Microsoft changed the box art for a lot of their games in Japan, it's always interesting too see what other regions get. Here's Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Crackdown.

ME2 and 3's box art is the same over there. Kind of a shame, I've always thought ME3's was the weakest, so it would have been cool to have an alternate one.

Was that Shepard's face before they got Vanderloo?

Mindlog

The Japanese box art is the plot that wasn't hammered home. Paragon/Renegade. Getting results without becoming Saren. A bunch of opportunities like that.

Mass Effect 3 on PC got a patch.
What's up with that?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
ok my bad

perhaps but I don't find a need to include the word "console" when I talk about exclusives.

has things at EA been drastically different since his departure?

And if we were living on a day before August 12th, 2014, and I told you I fear RoTR becoming xbone exclusive, would your response be

"it's not happening. 100%"?

Dude, chill out.

Yes, it is *possible* that MS could try and moneyhat EA to make it an exclusive. Just like its *possible* MS could just acquire EA straight up! If it does happen it will cost a bundle of money. After Titanfall you can bet EA will have a much higher cost.

But it's very unlikely and it's pointless to worry about. If it happens, it happens.

Patryn

Dude, chill out.

Yes, it is *possible* that MS could try and moneyhat EA to make it an exclusive. Just like its *possible* MS could just acquire EA straight up! If it does happen it will cost a bundle of money. After Titanfall you can bet EA will have a much higher cost.

But it's very unlikely and it's pointless to worry about. If it happens, it happens.

I'd be willing to predict that MS will try to get timed exclusivity on the DLC for it, similar to its deal with Dragon Age. I think it's just too expensive to get either total or timed exclusivity on the game itself given the size of the PS4 install base.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd be willing to predict that MS will try to get timed exclusivity on the DLC for it, similar to its deal with Dragon Age. I think it's just too expensive to get either total or timed exclusivity on the game itself given the size of the PS4 install base.

That's much more afffordable and doable and maybe, maybe not.

Dima

Neo Member
Not sure on Sheps face there but it's still a nice box art

If they were going to do a trilogy remaster for this gen I would like to see a box art like this, Steelbook, with a code for the soundtracks and documentary

image.jpg

Except for Shep, who could be a female, this box art would be perfect for the trilogy. Would be nice if they gave it a new title as well. ME 2183-2186 for example, or something more creative..

Bombless

Man, after playing Dragon Age Inquisition multiplayer I'm really not looking forward to ME4's MP.

The games are still peer to peer which breaks the game more often than not, even less options (no push to talk, no voice options at all apart from muting), the countdown to start with 3 players ready is gone (seriously, why?), the game has only 3 tile sets with 2 very ressembling ones and while crafting helps unlocking the classes you want, the chests you buy tend to give nothing but white items you'll immediately salvage to get mats to craft those class sets.

Also only 4 active skills at a time. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Kikujiro

First of all thanks to the people who answered me some pages ago.
I'm playing ME3, I'm near the end, just before Priority: Cerberus HQ, I just finished The Citadel DLC wich was truly awesome.

The game is good, there are some stupid things, but there are great things too, but I liked ME2 much more. Toughts:

- What's the point of James Vega? Did Bioware want to write a walking stereotype? There's nothing interesting about him, his introduction scene with the "boxing match" was so bad I though I was playing the wrong game. But you know what's the worst part? He is basically the replacement of your Krogan squad mate, why the hell did they go with him? I'm pretty sure everybody loves Krogans. I talked to him at the end of every mission, he acts and remains a stereotype.

- What's the point of Diana Allers? She's completely useless, she doesn't have anything interesting to say, she looks and is completely out of place, why not use Emily Wong instead of killing her?

- My biggest gripe is the team, why no Legion? Why no Kasumi? Why no Krogan? Why no Salarian? Why no Drell? Random Vorcha >> James Vega. It's such a disappointment coming from ME2. EDI is a great character, but was the sexbot pandering really necessary?

- It definitely lacks the sense of wonder and discovery found in ME1 and to a lesser extent in ME2, it makes sense because of the story, but I understand why people were disappointed.

- As for the story I think the main plot is more believable and reasonable than the silly ME2's one, some of the emotional parts are well done, like Mordin's sacrifice and the Thessia failure, meeting your old companions was awesome. Some parts were bad: the dreams, the Kai Leng character. The story works because it's pretty simple. Well I still need to see the ending, but I'm prepared, I played Leviathan and I think we are already past the silly scale, it's like Assassin's Creed's sci-fi story, middle school mumbo-jumbo.

- The Citadel is really the best DLC ever made.

I think the series should be more about Space adventures with your friends and less about Saving the galaxy. You don't need to Micheal Bay your game to sell better, that's what the top brass think but it's not the truth.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
First of all thanks to the people who answered me some pages ago.
I'm playing ME3, I'm near the end, just before Priority: Cerberus HQ, I just finished The Citadel DLC wich was truly awesome.

The game is good, there are some stupid things, but there are great things too, but I liked ME2 much more. Toughts:

- What's the point of James Vega? Did Bioware want to write a walking stereotype? There's nothing interesting about him, his introduction scene with the "boxing match" was so bad I though I was playing the wrong game. But you know what's the worst part? He is basically the replacement of your Krogan squad mate, why the hell did they go with him? I'm pretty sure everybody loves Krogans. I talked to him at the end of every mission, he acts and remains a stereotype.

- What's the point of Diana Allers? She's completely useless, she doesn't have anything interesting to say, she looks and is completely out of place, why not use Emily Wong instead of killing her?

- My biggest gripe is the team, why no Legion? Why no Kasumi? Why no Krogan? Why no Salarian? Why no Drell? Random Vorcha >> James Vega. It's such a disappointment coming from ME2. EDI is a great character, but was the sexbot pandering really necessary?

- It definitely lacks the sense of wonder and discovery found in ME1 and to a lesser extent in ME2, it makes sense because of the story, but I understand why people were disappointed.

- As for the story I think the main plot is more believable and reasonable than the silly ME2's one, some of the emotional parts are well done, like Mordin's sacrifice and the Thessia failure, meeting your old companions was awesome. Some parts were bad: the dreams, the Kai Leng character. The story works because it's pretty simple. Well I still need to see the ending, but I'm prepared, I played Leviathan and I think we are already past the silly scale, it's like Assassin's Creed's sci-fi story, middle school mumbo-jumbo.

- The Citadel is really the best DLC ever made.

I think the series should be more about Space adventures with your friends and less about Saving the galaxy. You don't need to Micheal Bay your game to sell better, that's what the top brass think but it's not the truth.

Time to stop, you've played the Citadel epilogue already.

Kikujiro

Time to stop, you've played the Citadel epilogue already.

So you're telling me the true ending is that Shepard and crew stop caring about the Reapers invasion and decide to pass the remaining days strolling and relaxing on the Citadel? That doesn't sound bad.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So you're telling me the true ending is that Shepard and crew stop caring about the Reapers invasion and decide to pass the remaining days strolling and relaxing on the Citadel? That doesn't sound bad.

Imagine the reapers were defeated before the partying and the rest, should you play it, was a delirious hangover dream.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Imagine the reapers were defeated before the partying and the rest, should you play it, was a delirious hangover dream.

A better thing is to play the ending and then go back and do the Citadel. Just pretend the it takes place a while later and the citadel was rebuilt.

I don't see ME4 being an exclusive on XBox, but what if they co-published the Mass eEffect trilogy for XBone? EA doesn't have the rights to use Unreal anymore (unless I'm mistaken), Microsoft might since they used it in Fable Anniversary. So maybe they would work out a deal for exclusivity of the Mass Effect trilogy on next gen consoles, it'd help maintain the perspective of Mass Effect as part of the Xbox brand, while Mass Effect 4 could be on Playstation and Xbox. I don't expect this to happen, but I'm just spit-balling as I want the trilogy on next gen hardware.

Given the circumstances I HIGHLY doubt the next Mass Effect game will be exclusive to any one platform. It just doesn't make any sense given what we already know (built on Frostbite 3, pre-concept work began back in mid-late 2012, already in a playable "alpha" state, currently in full production at BioWare Montreal etc...).

There might be some exclusive pre-order bonuses or timed DLC on PS4 or XB1 but I guarantee you that the game itself won't be exclusive, (when was the last time EA or BioWare released an exclusive title?).

Besides one of DA:I's art directors has all but confirmed the next Mass Effect game is "next-gen" only when he said in a pre-release interview (about DA:I), that Inquistion's graphics were going to pretty good but the next Mass Effect's graphics would be even because it's a "next-gen" only title, i.e. PC, PS4 & XB1.

TheChaos

My biggest gripe is the team, why no Legion? Why no Kasumi? Why no Krogan? Why no Salarian? Why no Drell? Random Vorcha >> James Vega. It's such a disappointment coming from ME2. EDI is a great character, but was the sexbot pandering really necessary?

We can't play as the ME2 cast because they're all killable. It would be kind of a dick move when playing a game to be permantly get locked out of a bunch of squadmates because they're all dead. Hence why you have Liara, EDI and Ashley/Kaidan is party members as they cannot be killed in ME2.

The exceptions are Tali and Garrus and that's because they're huge fan favorites.

We can't play as the ME2 cast because they're all killable. It would be kind of a dick move when playing a game to be permantly get locked out of a bunch of squadmates because they're all dead. Hence why you have Liara, EDI and Ashley/Kaidan is party members as they cannot be killed in ME2.

The exceptions are Tali and Garrus and that's because they're huge fan favorites.

Legion has a ready made excuse for coming back from the dead though, which is that he backs himself up before the Suicide mission and you just get an alternate skin (without one or two of the unique markings Legion has) as a "new body" for him. The real problem there is that you can choose to not recruit him at all... but then again, you could avoid recruiting Garrus in ME1 and he still shows up in ME2 anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, in hindsight having killable squadmates may not have been the best decision although it would have taken a lot of the emotional impact outta the final mission in ME2.

Renekton

Besides one of DA:I's art directors has all but confirmed the next Mass Effect game is "next-gen" only when he said in a pre-release interview (about DA:I), that Inquistion's graphics were going to pretty good but the next Mass Effect's graphics would be even because it's a "next-gen" only title, i.e. PC, PS4 & XB1.
I'm not sure how much further the current-gen can be pushed by FB3.

DA:I is already giving PS4X1PC fits.

I'm not sure how much further the current-gen can be pushed by FB3.

DA:I is already giving PS4X1PC fits.
Giving them fits? DAI was their first go at the engine, if anything it's a massive achievement that it turned out the way it did. DICE was consulted many times over the course of its schedule but Bioware is basically self-sufficient in Frostbite after the experience received from DAI's development. ME team doesn't have to worry about the constraints of 10 year old hardware.

You haven't seen what Bioware can do with Frostbite 3. Believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom