• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No link to common sense

But seriously, didn't we just talk about how that guy posting here asked yet again about the most broad of features there could be demand for? And hasn't it been far beyond your 8 weeks for development?

And EA doesn't do remasters. You keep saying without any probable reason that they've probably been greenlit or even started, and in reality, EA's record and the posts fishing for interest suggest otherwise.

But he'll, if there's a link, please post 'em.
How is it "common sense" that there won't be a remaster?

You foolishly hold onto this notion of "EA doesn't do remasters"

Guess what? There was a time when EA didn't do DLC, didn't do microtransactions didn't do etc.

There's a first time for everything and despite the protests of certain factions there is a market demand. Given the low risk, it's pretty much a no brainer. The market has CHANGED and TLoU, Diablo 3, Halo: MCC and GTAV proved there is money to be made doing it.

If you want to hold on to this "EA doesn't do remasters" as proof that a remastered ME trilogy isn't coming by all means.

I'll just use "common sense" and recognize that you don't send a big wig (Aaryn Flynn) out to gather feedback on a potential project on a well known forum if something is not in development and/or at least being seriously being close to greenlit.

If EA/Bioware wanted to gauge interest in an unofficial/less obvious manner they would use something simple like an online survey and/or poll. If they did that, I would be more inclined to believe that a remastered ME trilogy was coming.

As for your 8 weeks comment, I never said it was coming in 8 weeks...way to put words in my mouth. I said I believed a competent port could be made in 8 weeks with a dedicated team.

But let's make this interesting....Why don't you and Bisnic put your money where your mouth is?

If we do not get a remastered trilogy announced by dec. of 2015 I will buy both you and Bisnic a game of your choice.
If we do get an announcement before that both of you buy me a game of my choice.

How does that sound?

BouncyFrag

This is the type of response that brings a tear to my eye... I feel your feels.

Anyone else holding off on another playthrough in the hopes of the remaster rolling out?
It's killing me, slightly.
I'm holding off too. Finishing DA:I has left me jonesing hard for some Mass Effect. While I enjoyed DA:I, the companions were hit or miss in comparison to Mass Effect's. Exploring companions is one of my favorite things to do in Bioware games.

I wonder if they would tweak the combat a bit in the first one. Frustrating cover mechanics are frustrating, but I do look forward to the hearing the baddies yelling ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!!

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm holding off too. Finishing DA:I has left me jonesing hard for some Mass Effect. While I enjoyed DA:I, the companions were hit or miss in comparison to Mass Effect's. Exploring companions is one of my favorite things to do in Bioware games.

I wonder if they would tweak the combat a bit in the first one. Frustrating cover mechanics are frustrating, but I do look forward to the hearing the baddies yelling ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!!
Ha.. yep, that ENEMIES EVERYWHERE! comes out of nowhere sometimes and really bangs the ears (especially in those semi-tough prefab fights earlier in the game when you're not OP yet).

To be honest, remaster news would probably trump all other gaming news for me in 2015, that's how keen I am :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How is it "common sense" that there won't be a remaster?

You foolishly hold onto this notion of "EA doesn't do remasters"

Guess what? There was a time when EA didn't do DLC, didn't do microtransactions didn't do etc.

There's a first time for everything and despite the protests of certain factions there is a market demand. Given the low risk, it's pretty much a no brainer?

If you want to hold on to this "EA doesn't do remasters" as proof that a remastered ME trilogy isn't coming by all means.

I'll just use "common sense" and recognize that you don't send a big wig out to gather feedback on a well known forum if something is not in development and/or at least being seriously being close to greenlit. If EA wanted to gauge interest in an unofficial manner they would use sometching simple like an online survey and/or poll.

As for your 8 weeks comment, I never said it was coming in 8 weeks...way to put words in my mouth. I said I believed a competent port could be made in 8 weeks with a dedicated team.

But let's make this interesting....Why don't you and Bisnic put your money where your mouth is?

If we do not get a remastered trilogy announced by dec. of 2015 I will buy both you and Bisnic a game of your choice.
If we do get an announcement before that both of you buy me a game of my choice.

How does that sound?

You seem to be taking this a little too seriously lol. It's easy to make a bet like this when they could easily start development in a few months and decide to announce it late this summer. They're too busy right now to even make this when they have their hands full in making the new game, unless they throw this project into another team.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You seem to be taking this a little too seriously lol. It's easy to make a bet like this when they could easily start development in a few months and decide to announce it late this summer. They're too busy right now to even make this when they have their hands full in making the new game, unless they throw this project into another team.

No, I'm just tired of people "insisting" and talking like they actually "know" that they're not coming when IMO the evidence strongly says otherwise. It's just a question of when.

In regards to Bioware being too busy to make a port:

Porting from PC to PS4/X1 is not a monumental task and does not require a huge team. Naughty Dog was able to port TLoU to PS4 and continue to work on Uncharted 4. It's very important to note that TLoU was also a much more difficult port since it was a game that took advantage of every nook and cranny (I believe) of the PS3 architecture, which as I am sure you know is considerably different from the PS4 architecture. To make Mass Effect ports Bioware only has to use the PC assets, which is very similar to PS4/X1 architecture. Thus I can't believe for one second that this would require a significant level of resources. Of course it depends on what all Bioware wants to actually do with the remasters, but a simple 1080p/60fps port with all DLC is probably how far they would go and I would be 100% OK with that and likewise I think most fans would be ok. If Bioware intends to do a remaster along the lines of Metro 2033 redux or Halo MCC then yes that would change things a bit.

Second, more than likely they would farm it out to a dedicated porting team such as Bluepoint. I'd be ecstatic if they did that since they are the best in the business.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Second thing, I realize that I often say porting from PC to PS4/X1 is easy a lot without providing hardcore evidence. Here is why I think that:

I have heard from people in the know. Since I can't provide a link or quote you can choose not to believe me.

Second, I look online and I see people using source codes, and making MODs for PC games (Skyrim being the best example, Doom 3). Many of those are done with one person and as a hobby and not a full time job. Therefore you cannot convince me that a team of dedicated paid individuals could not make a PC to PS4/X1 port in a reasonable amount of time.

Bisnic

No, I'm just tired of people "insisting" and talking like they actually "know" that they're not coming when IMO the evidence strongly says otherwise. It's just a question of when.

Note that I never said it's not coming, but that they're probably not working on it right now. They could very much do this when ME4 is almost over and in beta phase, or whatever.

haha I loved that line. ENEMIS EVERYWHERE!11! hilarious

GlamFM

Banned
Note that I never said it's not coming, but that they're probably not working on it right now. They could very much do this when ME4 is almost over and in beta phase, or whatever.

The one thing I know for sure is that ME3 was ported to Frostbite a year ago.

Could mean that the remaster is in fact in the works.

Bisnic

What? I don't think porting a UE3 game to a Frostbite engine can be that easy, is it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I seem to remember that shinobi originally said that the unreal engine licences had expired and that they would have to get ported to Frostbite in order to get re-released. This was well before Aaryn Flynn paid a visit to our forum and shinobi recently clarified that they may not indeed be the case and that the unreal licence may still be valid.

Shinobi, please elaborate if you read this?

So can you GlamFM confirm with 100% that ME3 was ported or are you just going on shinobis info?

I honestly couldn't careless whether its on Frostbite or unreal engine. But it would certainly be a bigger task (but I would guess not too difficult) to port the games to Frostbite.

GlamFM

Banned
I seem to remember that shinobi originally said that the unreal engine licences had expired and that they would have to get ported to Frostbite in order to get re-released. This was well before Aaryn Flynn paid a visit to our forum and shinobi recently clarified that they may not indeed be the case and that the unreal licence may still be valid.

Shinobi, please elaborate if you read this?

So can you GlamFM confirm with 100% that ME3 was ported or are you just going on shinobis info?

I honestly couldn't careless whether its on Frostbite or unreal engine. But it would certainly be a bigger task (but I would guess not too difficult) to port the games to Frostbite.

I can 100% confirm that someone from EA told me that there is a complete version of ME3 that runs on Frostbite.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can 100% confirm that someone from EA told me that there is a complete version of ME3 that runs on Frostbite.

I am going to choose to believe you!

If true I'd say that this pretty much confirms that it will get re-released on PS4/X1.

Why do it if you weren't going to release it? Right, Cannon?

GlamFM

Banned
I am going to choose to believe you!

If true I'd say that this pretty much confirms that it will get re-released on PS4/X1.

Why do it if you weren't going to release it? Right, Cannon?

Not sure, because that person told me it was done for internal research purposes.

I guess the higher ups just wanted to know if it could be done, how long it would take and what the result would look like.

I asked specifically about a re-release and got "I know it´s being discussed/ an external team would have to do it/ ME3 already runs on Frostbite" back.

We´ll see.

Bonus info!:

I was also told that every assumption that Nirolak (or was it EatChildren?) made about ME4 is right on the money.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not sure, because that person told me it was done for internal research purposes.

I guess the higher ups just wanted to know if it could be done, how long it would take and what the result would look like.

I asked specifically about a re-release and got "I know it´s being discussed/ an external team would have to do it/ ME3 already runs on Frostbite" back.

We´ll see.

Bonus info!:

I was also told that every assumption that Nirolak (or was it EatChildren?) made about ME4 is right on the money.

I don't remember what they said.....
remind+me.jpg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

We´ll see.

How long ago was this?

Lakitu

st5fu
There's a rumour that Elias Toufexis (Adam Jensen) may be a VA for the next game on the Bioware forums. Apparently the VA director followed him on Twitter and he a bunch of devs on the project.

I'm not sure who is this EA person is or who Glam's talked to, but I have it on very good authority, there is no version of Mass Effect 3 running on Frostbite. Glam is only relaying what he was told so he only has good intentions of course.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not sure who is this EA person is or who Glam's talked to, but I have it on very good authority, there is no version of Mass Effect 3 running on Frostbite. Glam is only relaying what he was told so he only has good intentions of course.

tumblr_m740zxpLP01r3rsoso1_500.gif

Well Im not sure if thats good or bad...but shit.

Well Im not sure if thats good or bad...but shit.
Neither really, there is no point to making a fully functioning ME3 in Frostbite. My prior posts about their licensure to UE being expired were corrected when I learned further. That was in regards to specific elements, I now know they indeed still do have the ability to use Unreal to port the trilogy over. It'll be much easier and faster anyway, use the PC codebase and build off of that.

For now I'll just say that any attempt to get the trilogy out on new-gen would likely come before the new game in 2016 (obviously).

TM94

Neither really, there is no point to making a fully functioning ME3 in Frostbite. My prior posts about their licensure to UE being expired were corrected when I learned further. That was in regards to specific elements, I now know they indeed still do have the ability to use Unreal to port the trilogy over. It'll be much easier and faster anyway, use the PC codebase and build off of that.

For now I'll just say that any attempt to get the trilogy out on new-gen would likely come before the new game in 2016 (obviously).

When do you think the next Mass Effect will be formally revealed Shinobi?

radeonxt

Oh god, i hope to have mass effect trilogy with dlc 1080P @60fps for next gen no matter if it is unreal frostbite or whatever it is... :( but release it!! :(

Ponn

Banned

I think its inevitable. The landscape has changed and with no backwards compatible home consoles now its the way to get older games to newer audiences. And these companies are getting to milk more money out of old games as a bonus. It's a win-win for them and probably why we are seeing so many remasters. And that's actually fine with me, I really don't like to have multiple consoles sitting under my TV and if I can have everything available on one system that would be great. A Mass Effect trilogy remaster just makes so much sense right before ME 4 with decision tree transfer. I think the only reason we didn't see it with DA was because timing didn't really allow for it.

Bisnic

I truly hope that a remaster would offer more than 1080p, 60 FPS and all DLCs... because I already have all that on PC. :(

dr_rus

A straight port of PC ME1 wouldn't be that satisfying as that version ran pretty bad on PC anyway and it is showing it's age in textures and all. Elevators loading is a problem as well. So it's not as easy as just port the PC versions to XBO/PS4 APIs. There is a considerable amount of refactoring to be done with ME1, less so with ME2 and 3 but still - 1 and 2 didn't have any AA in them at all on PC. I wouldn't count on them doing such ports prior to ME4 release, and that pushes them to 2017 probably, 2016 at best.

I still don't see why such ports are needed with PC versions going for $5 on sales and running fine on tablet-grade hardware currently.

Bisnic

A straight port of PC ME1 wouldn't be that satisfying as that version ran pretty bad on PC anyway and it is showing it's age in textures and all. Elevators loading is a problem as well. So it's not as easy as just port the PC versions to XBO/PS4 APIs. There is a considerable amount of refactoring to be done with ME1, less so with ME2 and 3 but still - 1 and 2 didn't have any AA in them at all on PC. I wouldn't count on them doing such ports prior to ME4 release, and that pushes them to 2017 probably, 2016 at best.

I still don't see why such ports are needed with PC versions going for $5 on sales and running fine on tablet-grade hardware currently.

What? ME1 on PC runs flawlessly with some very rare drops in framerates. Unless PCs from ~2008 had trouble when the game was current?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I truly hope that a remaster would offer more than 1080p, 60 FPS and all DLCs... because I already have all that on PC. :(

What else would you reasonably expect?

The real reason to do a remaster would be so the trilogy is playable on PS4/X1 since a decent PC can pretty much already do everything.

I just wish they would patch in gamepad support.

Bisnic

What else would you reasonably expect?

The real reason to do a remaster would be so the trilogy is playable on PS4/X1 since a decent PC can pretty much already do everything.

I just wish they would patch in gamepad support.

For one, some improvement to ME1 inventory/loot would be a great start. Hate managing that thing when it's full.
Fixing some of the incredibly low res textures seen on armor or cloth too.
Reducing the long loading screens of ME2. No matter how fast your PC is, it still takes 20secs to load a mission. At least Normandy is super fast. Also, make scanning planets faster.
Putting back holster in ME3, and fixing its journal updates.
Simple stuff like that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

giphy.gif

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For one, some improvement to ME1 inventory/loot would be a great start. Hate managing that thing when it's full.
Fixing some of the incredibly low res textures seen on armor or cloth too.
Reducing the long loading screens of ME2. No matter how fast your PC is, it still takes 20secs to load a mission. At least Normandy is super fast.
Putting back holster in ME3, and fixing its journal updates.
Simple stuff like that.

The first one would likely be the hardest and definitely least likely.
But the others then yeah. I'd guess that those would be improved by default.

A remaster seems absolutely pointless for people who only play the game on PC since it would already have the 1080p/60fps (although all the DLC is still expensive)

I'd be pretty pissed if they released the remastered edition on PC and essentially all it had was gamepad support.

I just finished Mass Effect 3 for the first time with the Citadel DLC. I don't think I could have loved it anymore than I already did but that dlc made it so much better

Bisnic

The first one would likely be the hardest and definitely least likely.
But the others then yeah. I'd guess that those would be improved by default.

A remaster seems absolutely pointless for people who only play the game on PC since it would already have the 1080p/60fps (although all the DLC is still expensive)

I'd be pretty pissed if they released the remastered edition on PC and essentially all it had was gamepad support.

I dunno, just putting a button "Sell All" or "Sell all items below a specific rank" at a vendor or "Destroy all items into medigel" when looting 4-5 items at the same time, would be pretty nice and not too complicated.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I dunno, just putting a button "Sell All" or "Sell all items below a specific rank" at a vendor or "Destroy all items into medigel" when looting 4-5 items at the same time, would be pretty nice and not too complicated.

Those changes are pretty reasonable I guess. I guess I could see those done.

For me I would be happy if it were just 1080p/60fps and all DLC.

Anything less would be unacceptable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom