• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
i doubt ME is Exclusive to the XB1, and I'm sure Microsoft Doesn't want Millions of People to Hate them because that would be literally heart Breaking, just hope we see something this year at E3 From the Good Folks over at Bioware

What?

Is there any news that in anyway indicate that this is a possible direction?

I'd hate that since I have no plans whatsoever in getting an XB1.

Getting no exp for killing enemies made the combat feel like nothing but roadblocks in ME2 for the longest time for me. I just had to put it in the back of my mind and try to not think about it. The enemies were just "in the way" of the next cutscene, especially when combined with the corridor map layouts. And having no EXP for enemies also made the EXP get dished out at the same rate for everyone, so everyone was at pretty much the exact same level at the same points of the game. You couldn't do anything to get more exp by choice other than side missions which other people could do too. Even if it worked quietly in the background, exp for downing enemies made it at least feel like it counted for something.

But combat is always a roadblock in any game? That is the whole point and also why developers cannot seem to come up with something different besides more combat. The enemies would still be in the way of the next cutscene even if you got exp for killing them. Which you still get by the way, only its gets awarded at the end instead of in between.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but ME1 and 2 are there :) origin came out after me2?
Of course. The first Origin exclusive I recall was Battlefield 3, after that every single EA PC game never appeared on Steam.

prag16

Banned
What?

Nuff said. There's been absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to indicate this. I can't believe people are still hand wringing about this.

Almost seems more like concern trolling at this point.

And shinobi (multiple contacts within Bioware) even said it's no concern, possibly multiple times even. The fact that it's still being brought up is absurd.

DOWN

Banned
What?

Nuff said. There's been absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to indicate this. I can't believe people are still hand wringing about this.

And shinobi (multiple contacts within Bioware) even said it's no concern, possibly multiple times even. The fact that it's still being brought up is absurd.
There was at least one recent article that said it may be, so that is why people are repeating it. It didn't come out of nowhere on the forum, but it seems to have come out of nowhere via the press.

prag16

Banned
There was at least one recent article that said it may be, so that is why people are repeating it. It didn't come out of nowhere on the forum, but it seems to have come out of nowhere via the press.

Isn't hip hop gamer the only one who said that? (And anything else regarding it traced back to him?)

If so, well, his track record is quite poor with regard to such things as far as I know. Didn't the topic here about it here get closed because "lol, hiphopgamer"?

MBison

Replaying me2 after a long time off. When's the appropriate story time to play Overlord dlc and Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Also when I get to me3 replay I didn't get any dlc except for extended ending last time. What about the other dlc, is it all to be played post game or is there story reasons to play some sooner?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Replaying me2 after a long time off. When's the appropriate story time to play Overlord dlc and Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Also when I get to me3 replay I didn't get any dlc except for extended ending last time. What about the other dlc, is it all to be played post game or is there story reasons to play some sooner?

As far as I remember, there is no real "wrong" time to play the ME2 DLCs, both Overlord and Shadow broker are fairly self-contained stories that dont really tie into the main story in the game, nor clash with it in any way. If you have the Kasumi - Stolen Memory though, id recommend to get that done early to have a good extra companion early, as well as a great SMG.

Patryn

Personal opinion: I tend to play Overlord just prior to the Suicide Mission, and then play Shadow Broker after the Suicide Mission as the second to last thing I do. Arrival, naturally, is the last thing I do.

radeonxt

The thing I'd love to hear from people is what you'd like to have in such an experience. For me (personal opinion, and based on what people have told me many times before):

- 1080p
- 60 fps
- High res textures, especially on ME1
- Some shader improvements commensurate with newer GPUs
- All the DLC
- "Seamless experience" - the adventures flow into each other without having to go back to save import, menu screens, etc.

Agree / disagree? What else?

Bear in mind this is a "wish list" at this point...

Maybe 2-3 player local coop using squad members?

ALL the DLC is pretty important, it is very expensive...

Character improvements (faces in mass effect 1 at least...)

any possibility to patch pc versions to be gamepad friendly? :S

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't hip hop gamer the only one who said that? (And anything else regarding it traced back to him?)

If so, well, his track record is quite poor with regard to such things as far as I know. Didn't the topic here about it here get closed because "lol, hiphopgamer"?

Yes.

The press is essentially abusing starry eyed Xbox fans who are upset about their platform's position in order to make easy money.

It's a very cynical industry.

Guri

Maybe 2-3 player local coop using squad members?

ALL the DLC is pretty important, it is very expensive...

Character improvements (faces in mass effect 1 at least...)

any possibility to patch pc versions to be gamepad friendly? :S

Remember that any possibility of a remaster does not mean a remake. You can't add game design features that completely change the mechanics.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

It is trolling and is based on nothing. At the end of the day if it does happen, so what?

Remember that any possibility of a remaster does not mean a remake. You can't add game design features that completely change the mechanics.

Yeah, most of us would be perfectly happy with all DLC, 1080/60fps. Expecting anything more is a bit unrealistic.

What would be cool is if they reinstated the feature that made Javik the Catalyst, but that would likely require too much rework (although Thessia is the only part that would really change)

So? Different developpers.
If Dragon Age Inquisition is multiplatform, so will be Mass Effect. EA isn't known to make their multiplatform franchises suddenly exclusive anyway. It's like if Madden 2016 was exclusive to XBO and the next Battlefield exclusive to PS4, i dont see it happening.

except Dragon Age was never exclusive, ME has a history of being exclusive at some point.

I don't want it to be true; I'd love me some Me4 on Ps4, but the possibility is there.

prag16

Banned
except Dragon Age was never exclusive, ME has a history of being exclusive at some point.

I don't want it to be true; I'd love me some Me4 on Ps4, but the possibility is there.
No, it's really not. Haven't you listened to anything shinobi and Bioware have said?

The thing is, the reason the series was exclusive wasn't because of "money hats" (or what ever), but because Microsoft was publishing/funding the game.

Any exclusivity would be EA's decision now, and like I said before, I can see MS doing co-marketing/DLC first, but definitely not the whole game.

Squall516

to get a lil off topic from the current discussion, if the Citadel or some other form of like a homebase or huge city or something like that exists in the next one, anyone else really hoping that its like fully explorable? They have mentioned a few times that the next game is really going to focus on exploration, and idk about everyone else but personally i love the idea of exploring big huge high tech cities or structures like that, and shinobi said that the game is going to massive and bigger than anything they have done before so i really hope they have like massive cities or settlements or something to explore and find items and talk to people that would really be awesome. And also fingers crossed for early in 2016 lol ^_^

DOWN

Banned
to get a lil off topic from the current discussion, if the Citadel or some other form of like a homebase or huge city or something like that exists in the next one, anyone else really hoping that its like fully explorable? They have mentioned a few times that the next game is really going to focus on exploration, and idk about everyone else but personally i love the idea of exploring big huge high tech cities or structures like that, and shinobi said that the game is going to massive and bigger than anything they have done before so i really hope they have like massive cities or settlements or something to explore and find items and talk to people that would really be awesome. And also fingers crossed for early in 2016 lol ^_^

From what we've gathered, and seem to have gotten so far, Frostbite is a great engine for huge environments. That's led to growth in the map sizes of Battlefield, Dragon Age, and from the sounds of it, Mass Effect. While it was a clear struggle to create both the detailed hubs and the large uncharted worlds for ME1, it sounds like the team on the new game feel it is a much more plausible structure technically now. So while ME2 and 3 cut out size in exchange for detail and graphical improvement, the next game won't have to.

I don't realistically expect that we will have 'fully explorable' hubs, but I do expect they will match and often surpass the scope of hubs that we got in the past couple of games, and like Inquisition with it's far more open map zones, may feel much larger from a smart use of space as well.

MBison

So hope this isn't a sore annoying topic.

With my eventual me3 replay coming up, and now its been years, was there ever any verdict on the indoctrination theory? Or is it still one of those if you wanna believe it, you'll find the evidence for it kinda things. What about what yall believe?

With my eventual me3 replay coming up, and now its been years, was there ever any verdict on the indoctrination theory? Or is it still one of those if you wanna believe it, you'll find the evidence for it kinda things. What about what yall believe?

It's wishful thinking. When Bioware includes a shocking twist they want to make sure the audience knows about it and the writing staff are not very subtle in general. None of the behind the scenes information lends itself to reading the game like that. If it makes you like it more you can assume it's true, but don't be surprised if the next ME game is set after the events of ME3 and its backstory supports taking ME3's ending at face value.

RedSwirl

^ I agree though I think "realism" has to be sacrificed for convenience, I wouldn't want to have to read subtitles for every alien I come in contact with. Also, we really don't have any idea how an intelligent alien species, if they existed, would look or communicate like. Thus, we truly can't say "X" is unrealistic, aliens truly are ALIEN in the most true form.

I like the path Star Wars takes honestly. There you have species who can understand each others' languages despite not having the vocal chords to speak them, and you have a few lingua francas like Huttese. At the very least a Han-Chewie type relationship or an R2-D2 type character would be interesting, but they'll probably stick with translator microbes.

Personally, I think that it's just people grasping at straws. One of those "Link was dead in Majora's Mask" things.

Hahs

If it was indoctrination there wouldn't be any options - puppets can't make decisions.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Indoctrination theory is a bunch of nonsense self-deluded fans cooked up, the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC all but disprove it. However, BioWare refuses to official strike the theory down because they don't want to destroy deluded fanboy head canon.

Squall516

From what we've gathered, and seem to have gotten so far, Frostbite is a great engine for huge environments. That's led to growth in the map sizes of Battlefield, Dragon Age, and from the sounds of it, Mass Effect. While it was a clear struggle to create both the detailed hubs and the large uncharted worlds for ME1, it sounds like the team on the new game feel it is a much more plausible structure technically now. So while ME2 and 3 cut out size in exchange for detail and graphical improvement, the next game won't have to.

I don't realistically expect that we will have 'fully explorable' hubs, but I do expect they will match and often surpass the scope of hubs that we got in the past couple of games, and like Inquisition with it's far more open map zones, may feel much larger from a smart use of space as well.

ya thats very true, and i mean some of the maps in Inquisition are huge, and i love running around and exploring them and finding all these hidden things. So even if they make the game like massive and have a bunch of planets you go to with giant maps like that, i dont see why they couldn't just build a hub area, or a city or ship or something maybe not as big as a whole map but pretty close, and populate it with people to talk to and things to interact with and shops for upgrades and stuff. I dont really think thats too unrealistic to expect.

Sure it might take a long time to develop and like with FFXV ive waited soo long for that, i dont mind if they take a lil more time to perfect it, i would feel the same for this, i want that huge grandiose feeling of exploring planets and alien civilizations and high tech cities or ships, if they had to delay the game to really implement some of those things and add detail and life to their worlds and universe i would really be ok with that. All in all, i definitely feel its 100% achievable to do, the question really is whether or not they will take the time or if its something they even want in the game in the first place. But imo and idk how others feel about it, but if they really want to make it and exploration game, and bring back more traditional RPG elements and stuff i feel like exploration and having a big hub area with lots of stuff going on to explore is pretty big component to that and adds depth to the game. I mean im sure ill still be happy with the end result, because it seems like the game will be much more massive and scale and the missions and areas and stuff you go to, i just dont want it to be all like oh you go to this planet and can explore these huge areas in the new mako or w.e it is, but its mostly barren except for a few alien settlements or ancient ruins and stuff. While that would be cool for some of the game i feel like it would still be missing something and needs something much more populated to explore to really give the game realism and life imo. Still cant wait and hope we hear lots more about it at this coming E3! :)

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I just love that the theory exists in the first place; it makes you think: and that's never a bad thing.

I still believe, brother.

Indoctrination theory is a bunch of nonsense self-deluded fans cooked up, the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC all but disprove it. However, BioWare refuses to official strike the theory down because they don't want to destroy deluded fanboy head canon.

I've never liked that they never shot it down themselves. If it 100% incorrect, then don't let people continue playing and living the game in their fantasies; tell them that the ending they see is the ending they get, no matter how horrible they think it is.

And for the record, as much hate as the indoctrination theory got, it is still lightyears ahead of the actual ending, extended cut/leviathan or not.

prag16

Banned
I've never liked that they never shot it down themselves. If it 100% incorrect, then don't let people continue playing and living the game in their fantasies; tell them that the ending they see is the ending they get, no matter how horrible they think it is.

And for the record, as much hate as the indoctrination theory got, it is still lightyears ahead of the actual ending, extended cut/leviathan or not.
Yeah, definitely had the potential to be really interesting. Deriding those who came up with it and those who enjoy the possibility as "self deluded fanboys", as the post you quoted did, is a little silly and unnecessarily. No fun allowed apparently.

Yeah some people did take it to the extreme, but it just shows how great the game series is overall, with how invested many people are/were in it.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Yeah, definitely had the potential to be really interesting. Deriding those who came up with it and those who enjoy the possibility as "self deluded fanboys", as the post you quoted did, is a little silly and unnecessarily. No fun allowed apparently.

Yeah some people did take it to the extreme, but it just shows how great the game series is overall, with how invested many people are/were in it.

When the theory was originally proposed it was certainly interesting and clever even though I never believed it, however those who continue to cling to it now post Extended Cut and Leviathan are indeed "self-deluded."

prag16

Banned
When the theory was originally proposed it was certainly interesting and clever even though I never believed it, however those who continue to cling to it now post Extended Cut and Leviathan are indeed "self-deluded."
I don't really see anybody SERIOUSLY still doing that. But I'm also not very often browsing in the types of places where I'd run into such people anymore.

Yes, this exactly. Gamble himself stated that the indoctrination theory just goes to show how dedicated the fanbse is/was.

But then his response to it is what was wrong. He should've just stated right then and there that it is wrong and that the ending wasn't a dream.
I think it is more along the lines of since those people found the ending to be so horrible, they just do not want to accept it as the ending. It doesn't matter how much time has passed; it doesn't make the ending better. If anything, remembering how horrible it was makes it worse.

I don't blame people for continuing to just have their self-made indoctrination theory be their own, unfinished ending.

Ralemont

not me

Nah, not even close. If IT was real then ME3 doesn't have an ending, full stop. It literally ends right before the resolution.

IT also posits the Anderson death scene wasn't real, which I can't dealwith.gif

The Extended Cut/Leviathan experience of ME3's ending really isn't that bad. It's mediocre, but whatever. I don't need it to be the GOAT.

Nah, not even close. If IT was real then ME3 doesn't have an ending, full stop. It literally ends right before the resolution.

IT also posits the Anderson death scene wasn't real, which I can't dealwith.gif

The Extended Cut/Leviathan experience of ME3's ending really isn't that bad. It's mediocre, but whatever. I don't need it to be the GOAT.

Okay, well we're not going to agree no matter what because I thought the extended cut/leviathan dlc didn't do jack shit to make the horrendous ending better.

fanmade, indoctrination theory, unfinished ending >>>>>> ME3 ending, with or without all the dlc

Ralemont

not me
Okay, well we're not going to agree no matter what because I thought the extended cut/leviathan dlc didn't do jack shit to make the horrendous ending better.

It's difficult to get the stink of the vanilla endings out of one's head, but I think it's telling that anecdotally many people who first played ME3 with the DLC don't really find the ending to be a big deal.

It's difficult to get the stink of the vanilla endings out of one's head, but I think it's telling that anecdotally many people who first played ME3 with the DLC don't really find the ending to be a big deal.

probably because they have no choice but to accept it, and move on.

I don't accept it and never will, but I'm still going to get Me4. Me3's ending doesn't change the fact that Me2 is my favorite game of all time (goes back and forth with Uc2).

Maledict

There's also the fact that people who played it only with the extended DLC are comings late to the party, which does have two implications:

1) They've heard about how utterly, mind-boggling attrocious the ending is from friends / the intertubes, to the point where no matter how bad the ending was it couldn't be as awful as the expectations around it are

2) The people who hit it first are generally those who had a lot more committed in terms of time to the series - if you've waited 6 years for the end to a series it's going to have a much bigger impact on you than if you get all three games and then play them through in the same month.

Both of those combine to mean I don't think it will have the same impact on people playing now - plus at the time there was a bit of a 'disaster survivor' experience going on where everyone was just stumbling round shell-shocked at how shockingly shit the ending was, and that reinforced the beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom