• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DA and ME are fundamentally different in that Mass Effect's story areas have always, always been more linear in nature - the temptation is to say it's a corridor shooter, because it is, but I DON'T mean that in a disparaging way.

ME's openness came in past games in an open-ended mission structure and a variety of planets to visit, each of which was on the whole more linear. That's rounded out with a few of those planets (a couple per game, really) being hub worlds that don't house traditional missions. I really do expect ME to continue with that formula, because it's a winning one. I don't think zones will end up being as vast & open as some of the DA ones, but I also think that's for the best.

The exception will be if they do planets ala ME1, obviously... but they were very barren anyway. The core mission sort of structure I think will continue to resemble the first three games in their linearity.

i have the agree, but i still wanted to see some populous planets with more exploration and some kind of big challenges like the dragons, but i prefer sacrifice all of this to a really great story.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
One thing i do hope for the next ME is that it is a contained story. No import into the next game, no big universe-changing decisions to be made. The Mass Effect-universe should allow for plenty of stories without needing the reapers or a big evil wizard or whatever planning on destroying the universe.

So far Bioware has shown that they have not yet found a way to deal with the possible choices the player can make and make them meaningful in new games. In Dragon Age: origins for example you could kill a companion and lo and behold, in DA:I it was revealed she wasnt killed, only left for dead. Or Bioware simply replaces a killed companion with a new character that is clearly a copy. When that is the consequence, i much rather have Bioware not try to put such decisions in the game.

I'm expecting a Dragon Age-keep like feature being implemented for Mass Effect 4 if it's set in the future. They will likely be extremely vague on exactly how the war ended, but you can still expect only one of the endings to be canon. (it's inevitable, really. They must pick one considering how different they were really when you think about it.)

I'm hoping they drop "the return of the powerful, forgotten, ancient evil beings " and delve more into political issues where you have choices to pursue peaceful diplomacy or war. Exploration should be key, and I'm expecting a lot of it since they revealed the return of the Mako. A ship that you can upgrade will obviously be your homebase.

I also wish they include more freedom of choice as to who you get to side with, but I can imagine that it would take quite some effort to write the different missions/quests based on who your allies are. I don't want to be locked in with the alliance - what if I don't want to be a soldier anymore? Perhaps I feel like becoming a space pirate instead. Let me choose my character's background and actually have it change something other than a few lines of text.

One can dream...

MrMuscle

So its been a while and im feeling the urge to play thru the trilogy again. I own everything on the 360 but im dreading hooking it back up. Is the PC version worth a rebuy? Or should i just suck it up with the 360? (I have a PS3 as well if that version is an alternative).

So its been a while and im feeling the urge to play thru the trilogy again. I own everything on the 360 but im dreading hooking it back up. Is the PC version worth a rebuy? Or should i just suck it up with the 360? (I have a PS3 as well if that version is an alternative).

PC version doesn't have controller support and the DLC rarely ever goes on sale, so if you have everything on the 360, it might be worth it.

I started a replay on the 360 last year during spring, but somehow got halted about halfway through ME2. Life took over. Don't think I'll fire up the 360 for it anymore, either. That's why I'm hoping for a complete collection to hit PC or Xbone.

MrMuscle

PC version doesn't have controller support and the DLC rarely ever goes on sale, so if you have everything on the 360, it might be worth it.

I started a replay on the 360 last year during spring, but somehow got halted about halfway through ME2. Life took over. Don't think I'll fire up the 360 for it anymore, either. That's why I'm hoping for a complete collection to hit PC or Xbone.

Oh, yeah im gonna have to have controller support. Thanks man, im weirdly excited about starting it up again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I feel the need to replay the trilogy again...what is wrong with me? I played it so many times i already know what most characters will say before they even open their mouth.

I'll probably wait until the next ME is officially reveal when i'm in complete hype mode... if I can hold until then.

Lone Wolf

I'm expecting a Dragon Age-keep like feature being implemented for Mass Effect 4 if it's set in the future. They will likely be extremely vague on exactly how the war ended, but you can still expect only one of the endings to be canon. (it's inevitable, really. They must pick one considering how different they were really when you think about it.)

I'm hoping they drop "the return of the powerful, forgotten, ancient evil beings " and delve more into political issues where you have choices to pursue peaceful diplomacy or war. Exploration should be key, and I'm expecting a lot of it since they revealed the return of the Mako. A ship that you can upgrade will obviously be your homebase.

I also wish they include more freedom of choice as to who you get to side with, but I can imagine that it would take quite some effort to write the different missions/quests based on who your allies are. I don't want to be locked in with the alliance - what if I don't want to be a soldier anymore? Perhaps I feel like becoming a space pirate instead. Let me choose my character's background and actually have it change something other than a few lines of text.

One can dream...

I would be very happy with this scenario, though am still worried that it may not be a sequel.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Im not replaying it until the HD remake is ready

Yeah well, i'm not sure if i'm willing to wait until next year for that. And it's not even sure it's even coming out. If they don't even bother to mention it at this year's E3, we can almost forget about it....unless they announce that Mass Effect 4 will release in Fall 2016, so maybe there's a chance that a remaster will be announced in E3 2016 and released a few months later if it's not mentioned at E3 2015.

prag16

Banned
Yeah well, i'm not sure if i'm willing to wait until next year for that. And it's not even sure it's even coming out. If they don't even bother to mention it at this year's E3, we can almost forget about it....unless they announce that Mass Effect 4 will release in Fall 2016, so maybe there's a chance that a remaster will be announced in E3 2016 and released a few months later if it's not mentioned at E3 2015.

No, don't even say that. Q1 2016 is already a damn long enough wait for the next game.

exbepi.png

Luke_Wal

One thing i do hope for the next ME is that it is a contained story. No import into the next game, no big universe-changing decisions to be made. The Mass Effect-universe should allow for plenty of stories without needing the reapers or a big evil wizard or whatever planning on destroying the universe.

So far Bioware has shown that they have not yet found a way to deal with the possible choices the player can make and make them meaningful in new games. In Dragon Age: origins for example you could kill a companion and lo and behold, in DA:I it was revealed she wasnt killed, only left for dead. Or Bioware simply replaces a killed companion with a new character that is clearly a copy. When that is the consequence, i much rather have Bioware not try to put such decisions in the game.

Haven't they said something about it taking part in a different part of the galaxy with some new species? I would have to assume it'll be self-contained to a certain extent.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Where's my mass effect remastered trilogy?
EA has never done remasters and absolutely never will. This trilogy is not getting remastered.

This is what a few posters have said and therefore must be true.
I guess it will come sometime between August and December this year. Pure speculation.

Lakitu

st5fu
I always thought the next Mass Effect was just being developed by Montreal while Mike Gamble and Mac Walters oversaw it from Edmonton. Now, it's being co-developed?

I always thought the next Mass Effect was just being developed by Montreal while Mike Gamble and Mac Walters oversaw it from Edmonton. Now, it's being co-developed?
As development on a particular project ramps down, certain team members move over to the next project in earnest. It's fairly common actually, and Bioware has 800+ employees so they do it a lot.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Reading Gaider's explanation, I'm left wondering who is actually in charge of formulating a plot arc across several titles. The writers know the themes, details and loose threads but the project leads have the final say and seem to be mostly focused on the high concept and the things that differentiate the new title from the last.

So while this approach might work to get a decent self-contained title out the door, the proof is in the pudding: BioWare cannot adequately handle plot lines and repercussions of player choice across several titles in a franchise. It makes me wonder why they keep trying and overpromising.

Yeah, I do think they are capable of tracking a large high concept plot across several titles but how those plots intricately play out and how your decisions effect them is something I don't think they have, or maybe even can, plan out. I'll have to find that article about ME2 but they talked about how, even up to the release of ME3, which decisions would have an impact. It's clear they knew certain large decisions would have to have an impact (Genophage, Rachni, Council Saving), but not how. As for the smaller decisions they seemed to explain that at every new game the make a list of all the decisions the player could make and then decide based on various factors, especially cost and resources, which would carry over and be rewarded somehow.

Thing is I'd like for ME4 to at least try and attempt again a sort of arc across multiple titles. I don't want another galaxy saving plot, something smaller is fine, but I'd like to follow the same character across multiple games. The thing I kinda don't like about DA is the fact that I'm a new character with each game often with a whole new supporting cast. Thus, I never feel as invested as in my PC as I do to my Shepard. My Shepard was Garrus' bro across three fucking games, my Warden knew and was friends with Alistair for one game 10 years ago (as far as the game world is concerned).

prag16

Banned
Oh.
I guess it makes sense.

We know it was at minimum definitely being discussed internally. But we don't have any guarantee.

JohnnyFootball is right not to listen to the "no fucking chance" camp. But I wouldn't listen to the "it's an absolute lock" camp either (to keep from getting hopes up if nothing else).

prag16

Banned
Another day of work and school down?

Another day closer to a new Mass Effect.

cryosleep pls

I'm getting close to that point, man. Replaying KOTOR2 right now (DA:I is on the backburner... having trouble motivating myself to finish up) is making me want a new mass effect more than ever.

south-park-s10e12-go-god-go_4x3.jpg

VinFTW

I'm getting close to that point, man. Replaying KOTOR2 right now (DA:I is on the backburner... having trouble motivating myself to finish up) is making me want a new mass effect more than ever.

south-park-s10e12-go-god-go_4x3.jpg

DA:I is actually the reason I haven't been able to resist posting in here :/

The world building in that game reminds me so much of how amazing it felt to explore in ME1.

Man... I can't wait. Gonna replay ME1/2/3 this summer. Maybe Jade Empire again too.

Thing is I'd like for ME4 to at least try and attempt again a sort of arc across multiple titles. I don't want another galaxy saving plot, something smaller is fine, but I'd like to follow the same character across multiple games. The thing I kinda don't like about DA is the fact that I'm a new character with each game often with a whole new supporting cast. Thus, I never feel as invested as in my PC as I do to my Shepard. My Shepard was Garrus' bro across three fucking games, my Warden knew and was friends with Alistair for one game 10 years ago (as far as the game world is concerned).

This is something I hadn't really thought about much but now that you mention it: I agree that a consistent, clearly defined cast is a major ingredient in the secret sauce that makes Mass Effect so enjoyable.

And fair is fair, Wrex and Mordin had beautiful payoffs to their story arcs across three titles. So it can be done... but I feel it's been more misses than hits so far.

No, don't even say that. Q1 2016 is already a damn long enough wait for the next game.
It didn't enter full production until DAI was near complete. Spring 2016 is on the early side of the spectrum. Certainly possible, and optimistic :)

Admittedly it's massive, dwarfing prior MEs and Inquisition. It should be worth the wait.

prag16

Banned
It didn't enter full production until DAI was near complete. Spring 2016 is on the early side of the spectrum. Certainly possible, and optimistic :)

Admittedly it's massive, dwarfing prior MEs and Inquisition. It should be worth the wait.

Ahhh goddammit. First half 2016 is considered optimistic now? -_-

I thought you said 2015 was still on the table as of the latter part of last year (even if unlikely). Or maybe that was EatChildren. Can't remember.

What constitutes full vs. less-than-full production anyway? I thought they started the planning stages in 2012. More massive than DA:I? In terms of what? That almost sounds like a bad thing to me.

Guri

Ahhh goddammit. First half 2016 is considered optimistic now? -_-

I thought you said 2015 was still on the table as of the latter part of last year (even if unlikely). Or maybe that was EatChildren. Can't remember.

What constitutes full vs. less-than-full production anyway? I thought they started the planning stages in 2012. More massive than DA:I? In terms of what? That almost sounds like a bad thing to me.

The Next Mass Effect is exclusive to current gen and PC. That means they can do more in every area. Dragon Age Inquisition was still a PS3/360 game. While I don't know the details of what he said, "more massive" doesn't necessarily mean bigger hubs, but maybe more options for the player.

As for the release date, I never actually believed 2015 was possible, because they have Battlefield in just a few months and then Battlefront in October/November. 2016 may be the year of Mirror's Edge and Mass Effect. They know that if they put both in the same release window, Mirror's Edge would likely suffer. Maybe first half of the year for Mirror's Edge and the second half for Mass Effect? That's what I believe.

foxtrot3d

Banned
This is something I hadn't really thought about much but now that you mention it: I agree that a consistent, clearly defined cast is a major ingredient in the secret sauce that makes Mass Effect so enjoyable.

And fair is fair, Wrex and Mordin had beautiful payoffs to their story arcs across three titles. So it can be done... but I feel it's been more misses than hits so far.

I agree, without beating a dead horse, ME3 was so close to sticking the ending and had it done so it would have been a monumental achievement in gaming history. Alas, it was not to be. But, you can always get a second chance and I hope BioWare takes one.

Guri

This could be a bad news as DAI itself received many negative comments from players who hate some aspect of it, such as side quests, mobile-ish war table, and combat/AI.

Or maybe tech developers helping with the engine, considering what they found in Dragon Age: Inquisition, especially now that both franchises use Frostbite? Also, there's a difference in what the Leads of each game planned. There were devs from both franchises working in Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3 and now DA: I and NME. You could see clear differences in all of the games already released in terms of quests, combat and overall design.

Ralemont

not me
This could be a bad news as DAI itself received many negative comments from players who hate some aspect of it, such as side quests, mobile-ish war table, and combat/AI.

Well #3 shouldn't be an issue since ME's AI has always been terrible and it's never mattered much.

As for combat, these are the guys that made Omega and the Multiplayer. They've got Mass Effect combat down, no worries.

Oh man, the one thing I've noticed since joining is GAF REALLY dislikes Inquisition :(

Anyway, hopefully we get some type of trailer at E3. I'm thirsty for some ME. Listening to the soundtracks isn't helping either.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The vast majority of BioWare Canada's staff works on all their games.

There's usually like ~30 or so people on them in preproduction and then an army shows up to add to everything once the basics are in place of for some staff they switch earlier if say all the main design is done and they're not super critical on the previous project anymore.

When we say this is BioWare Montreal's game we are more so talking about creative leads and preproduction than the whole process.

It's like how a Rockstar games are lead by different sub studios, but all of them usually work on all the games at some point.

Ralemont

not me
Oh man, the one thing I've noticed since joining is GAF REALLY dislikes Inquisition :(

Naw, it's going to place second in the GOTY voting behind the greatest character action game ever made. It's got plenty of love here.

That doesn't mean there aren't worthy critiques to be made, which is why there are a few threads on it. Inquisition is pretty much the definition of a flawed gem.

Banned

I hope you're wrong. There won't be enough time to make a new trilogy if the first one comes out in late 2016 seeing as how there will probably be a PS5/XB3 in 2020 or 2021.

*assuming a standard 36 month dev cycle*

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I hope you're wrong. There won't be enough time to make a new trilogy if the first one comes out in late 2016 seeing as how there will probably be a PS5/XB3 in 2020 or 2021.

I'm not sure they're doing the trilogy thing anymore, but if they are, they can just transfer data via a website a la Inquisition.

foxtrot3d

Banned

1. Next-Gen consoles in 2020 or 2021 is a bit bold.

2. You can still have a trilogy and it be a cross-gen title, like Inquisition.

Or maybe tech developers helping with the engine, considering what they found in Dragon Age: Inquisition, especially now that both franchises use Frostbite? Also, there's a difference in what the Leads of each game planned. There were devs from both franchises working in Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3 and now DA: I and NME. You could see clear differences in all of the games already released in terms of quests, combat and overall design.

Well #3 shouldn't be an issue since ME's AI has always been terrible and it's never mattered much.

As for combat, these are the guys that made Omega and the Multiplayer. They've got Mass Effect combat down, no worries.

I hope you're right.
My only concern is that the new Mass Effect won't be for everyone, like DAI. Some really love it, some really hate it.

Anyway, hopefully we get some type of trailer at E3. I'm thirsty for some ME. Listening to the soundtracks isn't helping either.

It's definitely my GOTY, but others seem have big issues with the game.

DOWN

Banned
1. Next-Gen consoles in 2020 or 2021 is a bit bold.

2. You can still have a trilogy and it be a cross-gen title, like Inquisition.

Bold? That's just using the same length of gens as the previous one. Given the lower prices on these systems, I'd hope it's sooner honestly.

Rodhull

Sure but it was generally well received. The prospect of a Bioware game pleasing everyone seems unlikely as different people want different things from them. Just look at how much the complaints varied between all 3 Mass Effect games.

prag16

Banned

As other said above, this shouldn't be an issue. If they do save transfers, there are other ways. (And I'll be playing on PC anyway, so..)

I'm just bummed that the consensus keeps sliding backward slowly. A couple years ago 2015 was the assumption. Then it became well MAYBE late 2015. Then probably slipping into early 2016. And now Q1 2016 is even too early, with Q2 being an "optimistic" expectation in shinobi's opinion? Pretty soon we'll be saying "well, obviously it's early 2017 because late 2016 is for Battlefield". :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom