• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
The objections remain - I think fundamentally changing every single lifeform (not even sentient species!) is a monstrous act beyond anything else possible. If you honestly think that's better than the option of shooting space ghost in the head and then letting the *next* cycle destroy the reapers then I think we're just coming at it from a completely different moral viewpoint.

The Synthesis ending is obviously stupid. But I'm assuming the hypothical that the beam does what the game tells me.

My moral viewpoint is that I want to save lives. There is zero reason to choose Refuse and punt the problem to the next cycle. You'd be causing far more deaths than Destroy does. We can have a discussion about whether Destroy or Synthesis is the better outcome for the galaxy, but choosing Refuse isn't even on the table. It assumes a Kantian morality so extreme as to contradict the possibility of progressing through the Mass Effect series to even reach ME3's ending.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Well, I'll actually backtrack and say that the Rannoch peace makes perfect sense if you pick Control. It wouldn't have happened without Shepard forcing it to happen, so a Control Shepard does make sense there.

In many ways the Control ending is just what Shepard has been doing the whole series taken to its extreme. Had the game let you openly support and work with the Illusive Man's plans you might even call it a coherent playthrough.

Nah man, let's not go trying to defend those ridiculous ending choices they really don't make sense; neither does the artificial theme shoe horned in at the end of the game.

The Synthesis ending is obviously stupid. But I'm assuming the hypothical that the beam does what the game tells me.

My moral viewpoint is that I want to save lives. There is zero reason to choose Refuse and punt the problem to the next cycle. You'd be causing far more deaths than Destroy does. We can have a discussion about whether Destroy or Synthesis is the better outcome for the galaxy, but choosing Refuse isn't even on the table. It assumes a Kantian morality so extreme as to contradict the possibility of progressing through the Mass Effect series to even reach ME3's ending.

Let's be honest here, I've always taken the Refuse option as BioWare's final "fuck you" to people that complain about the ending. Basically, a "sure, you want to be able to refuse the Star Child, well here you go. It still doesn't change anything and the next cycle is gonna have the same choices. So, now that you are done pouting pick one of our ending colors and be happy we don't make something worse." Hence, why shooting the Star Child triggers the Refuse ending automatically, it was a response to all those videos of people doing that protesting the ending.

But enough about ME3's wrong doings, what are some little things you want to see returned or new things put in ME4? For me:
-In-game loading. Decontamination procedures, elevator rides, etc. I want them back and I never understood the complaint against them anyway. What people really wanted was less loading times not those things cut out, I'll take an in-game decontamination sequence over a load screen any day.
-Exploration.
-Space Combat, it's a damn shame I never once got to pilot the Normandy in some space battle sequence in the whole trilogy. Even if it is just one short section I wuld be satisfied.

Maledict

I'm not saying I like the "shoot the starkid" ending, just that from my perspective that's the better option than synthesis. Had it been done better, and built up as a theme throughout the series, it could have worked but as it is it's just a joke ending the devs put in after the outcry over the original ending.

Saving lives isn't worth it if it comes at the cost of removing the free will and agency of those lives. Especially for those species who literally have hundreds of thousands of years ahead of them before they get reaped. Or the species who would *never* get the attention of the Reapers.

I'm not just fighting to save lives though - I was fighting to give us the right to make our own choices and destiny, and not be subject to the whims of ancient space gods and star children. I didn't repeatedly defy orders and achieve the impossible only to then end up monstrously mutating every individual in existence. Survival is too high a price at those costs.

X-Frame

I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned, but I hope that the next Mass Effect really has a better character creator with many more options (especially hair).

Basically, if possible, I'd want the gap between what console players can choose by default and what PC mods can make to be a lot smaller. So many good Shepard's are almost always modded in some way.

But then at the same time, I hope that they retain the face code generator like 2 and 3 so that people can exchange face codes easily. I guess that limits options and flexibility in tweaking a character, but I suck with CC's and why it took me almost 5 hours with DA:I before I even begun.

I'm not sure if this has been already mentioned, but I hope that the next Mass Effect really has a better character creator with many more options (especially hair).

Basically, if possible, I'd want the gap between what console players can choose by default and what PC mods can make to be a lot smaller. So many good Shepard's are almost always modded in some way.

But then at the same time, I hope that they retain the face code generator like 2 and 3 so that people can exchange face codes easily. I guess that limits options and flexibility in tweaking a character, but I suck with CC's and why it took me almost 5 hours with DA:I before I even begun.

If Dragon Age Inquisition is anything to go by, it will be pretty extensive. It will just be really nice to not have ugly Unreal Engine characters anymore.

androvsky

I'm not saying I like the "shoot the starkid" ending, just that from my perspective that's the better option than synthesis. Had it been done better, and built up as a theme throughout the series, it could have worked but as it is it's just a joke ending the devs put in after the outcry over the original ending.

Saving lives isn't worth it if it comes at the cost of removing the free will and agency of those lives. Especially for those species who literally have hundreds of thousands of years ahead of them before they get reaped. Or the species who would *never* get the attention of the Reapers.

I'm not just fighting to save lives though - I was fighting to give us the right to make our own choices and destiny, and not be subject to the whims of ancient space gods and star children. I didn't repeatedly defy orders and achieve the impossible only to then end up monstrously mutating every individual in existence. Survival is too high a price at those costs.

Got some serious Babylon 5 flashbacks reading that last paragraph. I can almost hear
yelling at [spoilers]... if you haven't seen it, you should. :)

Sou Da

"Alliance Military Personnel Database"
NOTE: It's sometimes prone to data corruption.

Boy I hope Bioware learns that people who play RPGS enjoy independence and stop tying the player character to a faction, or at the very least put the option in game to cut loose from the faction early on.

I understand it in ME, but DA has no excuse.

Boy I hope Bioware learns that people who play RPGS enjoy independence and stop tying the player character to a faction, or at the very least put the option in game to cut loose from the faction early on.

Eh, I don't mind it. It can get to be too much at times, but it often helps give the story some direction. I couldn't stand Skyrim because I just felt no real motivation to go out and do... anything, really. Having a faction to be a part of helps give the character purpose.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Eh, I like being tied to a faction as someone else stated it gives the story direction. You can't just be lone wolf dwarf, for example, else wise you would have no motivation to do anything.

THAT SAID, the Mass Effect universe is massive and amazing, and until ME3 destroyed everything including the relays, had infinite possibilities. I wish BioWare you just break off a small team and make a smaller, cheaper, contained game set in the ME universe. For instance, a C-Sec officer on the citadel, an outlaw/bounty hunter on Omega, etc. I remember a while ago Patrick Weekes had an ongoing fictitious story running on his twitter account about a hard boiled Salarian private eye and it was marvelous. I'd love to have a game of just that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Eh, I like being tied to a faction as someone else stated it gives the story direction. You can't just be lone wolf dwarf, for example, else wise you would have no motivation to do anything.

THAT SAID, the Mass Effect universe is massive and amazing, and until ME3 destroyed everything including the relays, had infinite possibilities. I wish BioWare you just break off a small team and make a smaller, cheaper, contained game set in the ME universe. For instance, a C-Sec officer on the citadel, an outlaw/bounty hunter on Omega, etc. I remember a while ago Patrick Weekes had an ongoing fictitious story running on his twitter account about a hard boiled Salarian private eye and it was marvelous. I'd love to have a game of just that.

They weren't destroyed, at least it was clarified/fixed/changed after the Extended Cut, but I feel like you already knew that.

foxtrot3d

Banned
They weren't destroyed, at least it was clarified/fixed/changed after the Extended Cut, but I feel like you already knew that.

; )

I do.

After much searching I found all those Citadel Noire tweets, I WANT THIS!:

@PatrickWeekes said:
This station holds secrets darker than the energy of Haestrom's sun. They call it business as usual. I call it Citadel Noire

Salarian PI, lonely, broke. No females on Citadel, and only azure I'd seen was eviction notice blue-shifting on approach. Then she walked in. Asari, but likely elcor father, as she was high-gravity adapted in all the right places. Said krogan after her for friend's debts. Story stank like cheap ryncol, but black eyes hadn't come from embracing eternity. Said I'd help. Her eyes lit up like two singularities. Had a feeling I'd be feeling the warp bomb before this was over.

Called in favors from old STG friend for intel. Had left when Ts got too S. And I'd never worked well in G.

Krogan named Urr. Used batarians when needed fingers to count past six, shotgun when didn't feel like counting. Urr worked as slaver, not loan shark. Close enough. Back in STG, had killed better things for worse reasons. Found Urr in Wards. Took shot from rafters with M-98. Humans call it Widow. Don't think Urr would be leaving girl behind.

Urr shot through heart. Got up anyway. Redundant nervous system. Feeling redundant, nervous myself.

"You've got a quad!" Urr yelled, charging. "No. Only two." Incendiary, rigged to tripwire. STG. Bring bomb to gunfight.

"This was the dame," Urr said as he died. Left him and questions before C-Sec showed. Keepers deserved well-cooked meal.

Salarians think fast on their feet. Probably why she had me on my back as soon as I got back.

"Thanks for killing my competition." Woke up staring down barrel of pearl-handled Carnifex at smile color of polonium rounds.

Her Codex entry had been titled, "Trouble." Unfortunately, never liked to read in bed.

M-98 was in other room, but I had a black Widow right here with me. But she didn't know I used biotics. "Lady, your barriers are just like your morals... WARPED!"

By time I got up from warp-bomb explosion, she'd fled. Probably for best. Bad idea to let dame stay all night on first date. Salarians not great with mass effect fields. But when meet someone that sick, good to have supply of antibiotics. Slaver queen enemy for life. But didn't give me scale itch, and her check cleared. Not my worst job.

Just another day on the big station for Ewolram Edaps, Biotic PI.

tumblr_lzpryq7SBO1qmj5xvo1_1280.png

MBison

Playing through ME series with my daughter. ME on pc holds up okay but definitely meh graphically but acceptable. Max res was 720p. But ME2 wow. Looks amazing. 2500x1400. And the game is so polished over ME1. And the writing is tighter. Simply one of the best games ever.

Playing through ME series with my daughter. ME on pc holds up okay but definitely meh graphically but acceptable. Max res was 720p. But ME2 wow. Looks amazing. 2500x1400. And the game is so polished over ME1. And the writing is tighter. Simply one of the best games ever.

There are higher res options for Mass Effect. There a little arrow that you use to scroll down to more resolutions. Kind of hard to see.

Omega

Banned
In the past two days I've played 16 hours of Civ V using Mass Effect races. I now want a real Mass Effect strategy game.

There should also be a game where you use a real spectre. A truly open world game where you're free to tackle a mission however you see fit. Stealth vs guns blazing, going undercover for intel vs interrogating for it. stuff like that.

my dreams are already crushed as i know these both have absolutely no chance of ever occurring. i can only play these games in my head

Astrates

In the past two days I've played 16 hours of Civ V using Mass Effect races. I now want a real Mass Effect strategy game.

There should also be a game where you use a real spectre. A truly open world game where you're free to tackle a mission however you see fit. Stealth vs guns blazing, going undercover for intel vs interrogating for it. stuff like that.

my dreams are already crushed as i know these both have absolutely no chance of ever occurring. i can only play these games in my head

I did not know there were Mass Effect mods for Civ V. I now know what I'm doing this week!

My perfect New ME Universe game would be something like Star Trek Voyager. A lone ship stranded out in unknown territory trying to get home with only the help from the allies they make on the way. Would be magnificent.

wolfhowwl

Banned
It happens about a bit too quickly, but the dichotomy of peace divided between Tali and Legion is fairly well done I think, across the games. Tali is one of the few characters that, based on your conversations and her interactions, can show real growth and development within the narrative. Young, naive and fanatical, given a bit of worldliness and perspective and sees the errors of what she learned and what her people taught. It sells her character very well. Meanwhile Legion provides some necessary perspective on the Geth as a sentient species and becomes arguably one of the most important figures in Tali's life.

It's a shame BioWare had to ham it up with a dumb pinocchio climax to the Geth, and made Legion a last minute optional character to Mass Effect 2 despite having arguably the most intriguing exposition of all companions across the three games. But, you know. BioWare gonna BioWare.

I don't like BioWare's habit of structuring their conflicts with an option that renders the others as completely inferior and destroys any semblance of a hard choice. As Ralemont said above they also did it with Dragon Age but that game didn't push "sacrifice" like ME3 did or launch a franchise with advertising that talked about how "there are many choices ahead, none of them easy." It also clashes with their ending but that's certainly been talked to death.

The handling of Legion in ME2 is rather odd when they still recorded a game's worth of banter and conversations for him that players would never even see. Surely it wouldn't have been that hard to shoehorn him in earlier, the content was already there. It's even stranger when you can read in the 2007 ME1 artbook that the reason the Geth were robots to begin with was because "as Mass Effect's underlying themes of organics vs. machines emerged, the Geth were rewritten as a synthetic lifeform." I suppose it's just another sign of the lack of focus and direction that plagued this franchise, BioWare BioWareing indeed.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Anyone else have specific world states in mind they tend to recreate with a ME trilogy on next gen?

I'm still planning to make a Shepard Lives playthrough

• Shepard alive at the end of 3
  • Mordin Solus alive
  • Jacob Dead
  • Zaeed dead
  • Ashley and Kaidan dead
  • A Human council
  • Rachni alive
  • bunch of other stuff I can't remember atm
How do you make a playthrough that kills Kaiden and Ashley?

Guri

I know this may sound silly, but one of the reasons I think there were these issues with the trilogy is the lack of experience in a project that carries choices between three games. It was very ambitious and there are a lot of issues related to development that make sure things don't always go as planned, no matter how carefully you thought about it.

When you start planning a trilogy since 2003, to release the first game in 2007 and also think about how many situations you (as a developer) don't have any control at all due to player choices that will carry away until the last game in 2012, I am sure there are situations you will have to make changes. Not to mention that soon after Mass Effect 1 shipped, BioWare was bought by EA and more people joined the team.

And, while Dragon Age also have choices that carry between the games (using Keep), they are no near as connected as Mass Effect, where there is one protagonist between three games. I do believe the experience they acquired (especially since a lot of team members are still there) will be used to correct lore issues if they plan this new era with more than one game as well.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I know this may sound silly, but one of the reasons I think there were these issues with the trilogy is the lack of experience in a project that carries choices between three games. It was very ambitious and there are a lot of issues related to development that make sure things don't always go as planned, no matter how carefully you thought about it.

When you start planning a trilogy since 2003, to release the first game in 2007 and also think about how many situations you (as a developer) don't have any control at all due to player choices that will carry away until the last game in 2012, I am sure there are situations you will have to make changes. Not to mention that soon after Mass Effect 1 shipped, BioWare was bought by EA and more people joined the team.

And, while Dragon Age also have choices that carry between the games (using Keep), they are no near as connected as Mass Effect, where there is one protagonist between three games. I do believe the experience they acquired (especially since a lot of team members are still there) will be used to correct lore issues if they plan this new era with more than one game as well.

Well yeah, Mass Effect was the first every game to do that. Though, hopefully they've learned a lot by now on how to implement your choices.

Maledict

ME being an exclusive would break me. The ME trilogy was my greatest experience in gaming, but I refuse to buy an Xbox one, and I don't want to reward the shitty behaviour microsoft engages in by buying exclusivity (or EAs shockingly stupid behaviour with their relationship with MS).

I only hope it's not true, as making it an Xbox exclusive would guarantee the series fails to get a wider audience given the way the console wars have gone this generation.

He should have said "Use your common sense."

my common sense tells me: mass effect is mostly recognized as an xbox franchise, and the majority of the installments were exclusive to the 360 for a very large amount of time, and mS isn't afraid to shell out millions of dollars to secure a 3rd party exclusive (rotr).

Sou Da

my common sense tells me: mass effect is mostly recognized as an xbox franchise, and the majority of the installments were exclusive to the 360 for a very large amount of time, and mS isn't afraid to shell out millions of dollars to secure a 3rd party exclusive (rotr).

Your common sense should tell you they wouldn't limit themselves to XBOX when every other ME game is also on PS3 and that there isn't a console exclusive EA blockbuster to date.

foxtrot3d

Banned
ME being an exclusive would break me. The ME trilogy was my greatest experience in gaming, but I refuse to buy an Xbox one, and I don't want to reward the shitty behaviour microsoft engages in by buying exclusivity (or EAs shockingly stupid behaviour with their relationship with MS).

I only hope it's not true, as making it an Xbox exclusive would guarantee the series fails to get a wider audience given the way the console wars have gone this generation.

Welp, I don't care I'll buy a XBONE just for Mass Effect, I bought a PS4 for Ground Zeroes afterall.

Personal anecdote:
I never bought a 360 for Mass Effect, I already had a PS3 but when I went to college I decided to pick up a 360. Anyway, when I was at my local Gamestop they had a buy two used, get one free deal, so I got Halo 3, Gears of War, and this funny game I vaguely heard about called "Mass Effect" (it was like 5 bucks). Anywho, I'm pretty sure I played Mass Effect last and needless to say it became one of my favorite games ever. Afterwards, my 360 pretty much became a Mass Effect only machine and I immediately after put down a pre-order for ME2.

Your common sense should tell you they wouldn't limit themselves to XBOX when every other ME game is also on PS3 and that there isn't a console exclusive EA blockbuster to date.
as things are right now, yes that is what I believe.

but all it takes is a brolic check from mS to EA for this rumor to unfortunately become a reality.
Welp, I don't care I'll buy a XBONE just for Mass Effect, I bought a PS4 for Ground Zeroes afterall.

Personal anecdote:
I never bought a 360 for Mass Effect, I already had a PS3 but when I went to college I decided to pick up a 360. Anyway, when I was at my local Gamestop they had a buy two used, get one free deal, so I got Halo 3, Gears of War, and this funny game I vaguely heard about called "Mass Effect" (it was like 5 bucks). Anywho, I'm pretty sure I played Mass Effect last and needless to say it became one of my favorite games ever. Afterwards, my 360 pretty much became a Mass Effect only machine and I immediately after put down a pre-order for ME2.

I never had a 360, and I didn't care about ME until it was ported to Ps3. And that's when I realized what I was missing out on all this time. Thank God it became multiplatform.

If they made it exclusive though, it adds tremendous value to that platform. Yes, they may be sacrificing sales, but that's the tradeoff every exclusive game makes, 1st party or not.

Maledict

I don't mind buying a console for a first person exclusive, but I won't support the way MS buys exclusives. It's shitty behaviour that only makes gaming worse for everyone.

Guri

It won't be an exclusive to any platform, I believe. Mass Effect is too big now for EA to ignore the profit it can get on 3 platforms. But maybe there can be some kind of exclusive arrangement (DLCs, multiplayer stuff...) for a certain period of time.

I don't mind buying a console for a first person exclusive, but I won't support the way MS buys exclusives. It's shitty behaviour that only makes gaming worse for everyone.
I agree, but people will also say the same for sony even though I for one don't think it is exactly the same.
It won't be an exclusive to any platform, I believe. Mass Effect is too big now for EA to ignore the profit it can get on 3 platforms. But maybe there can be some kind of exclusive arrangement (DLCs, multiplayer stuff...) for a certain period of time.
yeah, like what they do with cod? I wouldn't really care about that. The dlc would come out on Ps4 eventually if that's the case. Unless they pull a destiny and make dlc exclusive for like a year. That would be kinda ridiculous.

By the way, although the ME series was by no means a flop, I don't think the games sold extraordinarily well.

Guri

yeah, like what they do with cod? I wouldn't really care about that. The dlc would come out on Ps4 eventually if that's the case. Unless they pull a destiny and make dlc exclusive for like a year. That would be kinda ridiculous.

By the way, although the ME series was by no means a flop, I don't think the games sold extraordinarily well.

Let's not forget that EA owns a platform on PC, which is Origin. So, while there may be some timed-exclusive content to Xbox due to their relationship with Microsoft, I think that the same content would be available at the same time for PC, but maybe not PS4. This only if there's some kind of arrangement. But considering how much EA invests on Origin, I am sure the game itself won't be exclusive to one platform.

As for sales, I believe the trilogy sold over 10 million copies (not sure how many after that) and there was also the profit they got from the amount of paid in-game content they made for Mass Effect 3.

Let's not forget that EA owns a platform on PC, which is Origin. So, while there may be some timed-exclusive content to Xbox due to their relationship with Microsoft, I think that the same content would be available at the same time for PC, but maybe not PS4. This only if there's some kind of arrangement. But considering how much EA invests on Origin, I am sure the game itself won't be exclusive to one platform.

As for sales, I believe the trilogy sold over 10 million copies (not sure how many after that) and there was also the profit they got from the amount of paid in-game content they made for Mass Effect 3.
10 million sold is pretty damn impressive

foxtrot3d

Banned
10 million sold is pretty damn impressive

Yup, although what I'm always curious about is how much money they make from merchandising. There's always a good amount of Mass Effect merchandise on the BioWare online store and I wonder how much that stuff sells, and if so, why they don't advertise it more? People seem to forget that the reason Star Wars was so profitable was not ticket sales but merchandising, a series like Mass Effect has ample opportunity to be turned into a merchandising cash cow. Afterall, Angry Birds makes its main money that way and that's just a bunch of plushies and what not.

Yup, although what I'm always curious about is how much money they make from merchandising. There's always a good amount of Mass Effect merchandise on the BioWare online store and I wonder how much that stuff sells, and if so, why they don't advertise it more? People seem to forget that the reason Star Wars was so profitable was not ticket sales but merchandising, a series like Mass Effect has ample opportunity to be turned into a merchandising cash cow. Afterall, Angry Birds makes its main money that way and that's just a bunch of plushies and what not.

I'm sure they make even more in merchandise. Well, I can't speak for video games but I heard in the movie industry that filmmakers make far more money from merchandise than the actual box office.

Daemul

Meh, I wouldn't care either way if the next ME game went exclusive or not, that's the main benefit of owning both consoles and also being a PC gamer, you don't miss out on anything :p

As long as the game is good, IDGAF what dodgy deal EA and MS do. Tbh, at this stage I wouldn't be surprised if this exclusive rumour is true, because this EA&MS partnership seems far deeper than either side let on.

DOWN

Banned
Meh, I wouldn't care either way if the next ME game went exclusive or not, that's the main benefit of owning both consoles and also being a PC gamer, you don't miss out on anything :p

As long as the game is good, IDGAF what dodgy deal EA and MS do. Tbh, at this stage I wouldn't be surprised to hear of MS just buying EA outright, because their partnership seems far deeper than either let on.

You should definitely care if their ambitions and tech only are reaching for the weakest console and they invest no effort into better visuals due to the team's knowledge it won't be seen or it will only be a budget external port a year later to better systems. I own Xbox One. I refuse to buy third party games for it.

Spineker

Banned
No chance in hell ME4 is exclusive to anything. The only console it won't be on is all the previous gen consoles..... and the Wii U.

Daemul

You should definitely care if their ambitions and tech only are reaching for the weakest console and they invest no effort into better visuals due to the team's knowledge it won't be seen or it will only be a budget external port a year later to better systems. I own Xbox One. I refuse to buy third party games for it.

That's a problem you have man, for me, IDGAF. I just want more ME, I don't care how I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom