• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is ignorant if it's not based on fact.

The "rehash" "remaster" generation only holds water if we had anywhere close to the number of remasters as we do completely new games.

Right now the number of new games completely dominates the number of re-released games.

I'm sorry. That's just how it is.

that's true but most of the games that have been remastered from last generation were big titles, and that's why they receive so much attention. but yes, obviously new games grossly outnumber the remasters.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

Hope that helps!

So...you knew this was coming....any news on the ME trilogy coming to current gen consoles?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
that's true but most of the games that have been remastered from last generation were big titles, and that's why they receive so much attention. but yes, obviously new games grossly outnumber the remasters.

Ok, we will leave it at that. We are done. Have a good day sir.

I should go.

Make Mass Effect Next all about exploration and go back to the aesthetics of the first game and I will be a happy man.

qmi2g8qrtj9swhid1336.gif

gz89xnfocrdlw7ymsd9a.png

RedSwirl

If you could tell me all the pluses in the first game that the second took away that would be nice. I got to play Me1 only once since it took forever to land on Ps3.

It felt like an actual space RPG. A flawed space RPG, but it got the main features down just well enough for things to come together. Characters are based on a wide array of states, they had actual gear sets, etc. More importantly you can explore huge surface areas on many planets. It's somewhat sloppily done but it elicits a cool feeling of exploring alien worlds. The amazing sky boxes don't hurt either. It feels like you're actually exploring the galaxy basically.

Also, ME1 probably has the best main quest in the series. Including The Citadel it has three large hub-like town areas instead of two (and almost had a fourth). The aesthetic is more of a 1970's optimistic sci-fi as opposed to the sequels' "military shooter in space" thing. ME1 looks kinda like old Battlestar Galactica or JJ Abrams Trek (despite coming out two years earlier).

It felt like an actual space RPG. A flawed space RPG, but it got the main features down just well enough for things to come together. Characters are based on a wide array of states, they had actual gear sets, etc. More importantly you can explore huge surface areas on many planets. It's somewhat sloppily done but it elicits a cool feeling of exploring alien worlds. The amazing sky boxes don't hurt either. It feels like you're actually exploring the galaxy basically.

Also, ME1 probably has the best main quest in the series. Including The Citadel it has three large hub-like town areas instead of two (and almost had a fourth). The aesthetic is more of a 1970's optimistic sci-fi as opposed to the sequels' "military shooter in space" thing. ME1 looks kinda like old Battlestar Galactica or JJ Abrams Trek (despite coming out two years earlier).
what bothered me a lot about Me2 was that there weren't that many missions based for the story alone. There was horizon, the empty collector vessel, and the derelict reaper. The game hinges/depends on you gaining the loyalties of your teammates. And those were great yeah, but seeing as how that's most of the game it just feels like filler. Great filler yes, but still filler nonetheless.

Saiyan-Rox

I apologize if I am off target, but need some advice. I have never played Mass Effect 2 or 3, but own them. The DLC is half off right now on 360.

If I am not going to play them anytime soon, should I still take advantage of the sale? This stuff is rather expensive otherwise and I would hate to miss out. This stuff never goes on sale.

Note, I want to play them eventually, but just don't have time now.

Damn where is the sale on psn dlc

foxtrot3d

Banned
I've seen a few thoughts like this recently, and thought I'd weigh in as much as I can right now. I have a good idea where it's coming from. All of our games are using Frostbite now. We've said the next Mass Effect (and our new IP, but I won't expand on that yet) uses some of the technology from DAI. We've been enjoying building larger areas that you can explore with less friction, so that'll be there as well.

But after that, the next Mass Effect will be (and should be) drawing on its own rich and successful past more than what DAI would say it should do. Take the Mako, something we've already shown in prototype form. We had that in ME1, and bringing it back is more related to a feeling that we can do it much better than we did before and fulfill the original promise of that gameplay. That has nothing to do with DAI. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.

We're very proud of what DAI has achieved, but that does not set a "template" for what every other game we make needs to be. Each game franchise needs to innovate and improve their experience based on what's best for it, not just what another game had success with because "well that was successful".

Hope that helps!

thumbs-up-o.gif

foxtrot3d

Banned
go for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983303

I haven't played any dragon age though so unfortunately I don't know what this news means for the future of ME compared to its past.

It's good news, I love Inquisition but those fetch quests are just out of place and tedious. I also hope, for the love of God, that they have animated cutscenes for most dialogue interactions. That weird, both people stand in the same place, conversation system in Inquisition just felt cheap and awkward.

Thematically and aesthetically, take two parts Babylon 5, one part Battlestar Galactica, a cybertechnic Cthulhu God race, and wrap it up in a faux RPG shell. Simmer for 25 hours and bam! One of the best games of last gen.

I liked ME2, but it had almost nothing on ME1.

kosmologi

This is a good description. The sequels have too much space magic and Star Wars in them, whereas the original was influenced more by Star Trek, bsg and even 2001 Space Odyssey.

xam3l

Do you guys know what would be cool as hell?

Today I was re-watching Interstellar with my family, and the wave's scene remembered me how awesome the exploration in ME1 was.

I would love some king of easter egg/side mission where we could just land to retrieve something and race the hell out of there, against time.

It's good news, I love Inquisition but those fetch quests are just out of place and tedious. I also hope, for the love of God, that they have animated cutscenes for most dialogue interactions. That weird, both people stand in the same place, conversation system in Inquisition just felt cheap and awkward.
Fetch quests in Me3? Or are there also fetch quests in Da3?
Thematically and aesthetically, take two parts Babylon 5, one part Battlestar Galactica, a cybertechnic Cthulhu God race, and wrap it up in a faux RPG shell. Simmer for 25 hours and bam! One of the best games of last gen.

I liked ME2, but it had almost nothing on ME1.

I'm sorry, but I don't know about any of those things.

O_O

Find some way to watch both B5 and Battlestar Galactica. The 2003 version of BSG not the original. Also read some Lovecraft!

While playing ME1.

You'll see the inspiration, and then hate that ME didn't continue on that much more interesting path.

Don't get me wrong. I loved ME2 as well (still haven't played 3) but there's a reason I've got a good 1000 hours in different ME1 playthroughs and my own personal psychosis is only part of the answer.

O_O

Find some way to watch both B5 and Battlestar Galactica. The 2003 version of BSG not the original. Also read some Lovecraft!

While playing ME1.

You'll see the inspiration, and then hate that ME didn't continue on that much more interesting path.

Don't get me wrong. I loved ME2 as well (still haven't played 3) but there's a reason I've got a good 1000 hours in different ME1 playthroughs and my own personal psychosis is only part of the answer.
Okay sir, I will check them out at some point. Wasn't star wars and to a greater extent, star trek also big influences on ME?

DirtyCase

Make Mass Effect Next all about exploration and go back to the aesthetics of the first game and I will be a happy man.

This very much so. Ever since Mass Effect 1 came out I have been hoping for a sequel that had similar aesthetics/art direction to ME and that focused on exploring this large universe they created.

Ronnie

Banned
Like a total idiot I've only played Mass Effect 3 (I own a Mac and Wii U so have no way of playing 1 and 2). I fell in love with ME3 to the point where it's in my top 3 games of all time. The instant Bioware announce the trilogy for current gen consoles I'm buying a PS4 or XBO, just to play 1 and 2. Please please make it happen Aaryn :)

foxtrot3d

Banned
Fetch quests in Me3? Or are there also fetch quests in Da3?

Fetch quests in DA3, they are just not good.

Okay sir, I will check them out at some point. Wasn't star wars and to a greater extent, star trek also big influences on ME?

Oh man, you are in for a treat with all of those shows and once you watch them you'll understand that Mass Effect is a mix of them all.

-Quarians v. Geth Conflict= Battlestar Galactica
-Reapers= Lovecraftian Cthulhu mixed with Shadows from Babylon 5 and maybe a touch of Star Trek Borg
-Rachni= Alien + Aliens
-Overall feel and look= A lot of Star Trek mixed with Blade Runner, hell Omega is nothing but a Blade Runner homage.

There is even an explicit Star Trek reference in Mass Effect 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtTn0uBbl88

Fetch quests in DA3, they are just not good.
I see. Well, they fucking sucked in Me3 as well. Then again, Me3 as a whole fucking sucked.

Oh man, you are in for a treat with all of those shows and once you watch them you'll understand that Mass Effect is a mix of them all.

-Reapers= Lovecraftian Cthulhu mixed with Shadows from Babylon 5 and maybe a touch of Star Trek Borg
-Rachni= Alien + Aliens
-Overall feel and look= A lot of Star Trek mixed with Blade Runner, hell Omega is nothing but a Blade Runner homage.

I see. that is quite thorough.

I've always wanted to get into battlestar galactica. is it a television series or a film series?

and no stargate or star wars?

I see. Well, they fucking sucked in Me3 as well. Then again, Me3 as a whole fucking sucked.

I've always wanted to get into battlestar galactica. is it a television series or a film series?

Stargate... a little bit, with the relays. They largely avoid the "ancient astronauts" aspect, though (other than that one aside in ME1, IIRC).

-Rachni= Alien + Aliens

Seriously.

I'm practically giddy that we're introducing someone to such unparalleled awesome.

ME takes inspiration from a whole range of space faring scifi.

Artisan, we hope you enjoy.

edit: I feel really stupid for not making the Omega/Blade Runner connection though. So thanks for making me feel dumb foxtrot.

I probably will, my good sir.

I'll have to embrace the fact that I'll be coming LTTP to all that stuff though.
I did for most of it.

Through 1996-2001 and I wasn't watching much scifi at all. From there I watched very little until 2008. Most of it fantasy. I'd missed B5, BSG, Farscape, all of the StarGates, everything after The Next Generation.

But the plus side is you won't have to wait for plot resolutions. So you won't have to question "Who are the final five?" and work yourself into a frenzy when they are revealed.

foxtrot3d

Banned

1. As bad as the fetch quests were in ME3 they were basically a replacement for planet scanning, a way to break up the combat that made sense in the context of the Reaper War. In Inquisition its worse since it's way more involved and makes no sense. I'm the Inquisitor find your own goddamn goat or lost ring.

2. BSG is a TV series, it starts off as a two hour mini-series which is basically the pilot and then you got 4 Seasons of greatness to watch. The very first episode past the pilot, "33," is one of the best pieces of television ever produced and it's not even my favorite episode. Also, fuck all the haters who dislike the ending it's great.

3. Don't know much about Stargate but there isn't too much Star Wars in Mass Effect since SW is more science fantasy. There are some visual cues and plot similarities. For example, ME2 is basically The Empire Strikes Back and I'd bet my ass off that the last shot in ME2 is a homage to the last shot in Empire Strikes Back. And, I guess you could also say that the Spectres are basically more "realistic" Jedi's, but that's about it.

4. Man, I have to say again you are in for some serious sci-fi greatness. I'd say start off with BSG since there's only 4 seasons, afterwards you can watch either Babylon 5 or if you've never seen Star Trek watch that starting with The Next Generation. And then of course watch ST: Deep Space 9 at which point you'll understand where BSG got a lot of it's ideas.

Seriously.

I'm practically giddy that we're introducing someone to such unparalleled awesome.

ME takes inspiration from a whole range of space faring scifi.

Artisan, we hope you enjoy.

edit: I feel really stupid for not making the Omega/Blade Runner connection though. So thanks for making me feel dumb foxtrot.

Heh, I actually don't think I had seen Blade Runner the first time I played ME2 but afterwards when replaying I was like HOLY SHIT, Omega is a blatant homage to Blade Runner as is the lighting used on Illium. The references on Ilium become even more apparent during Thane's mission as you drive the hover car to reach the building and then the final shot of Thane looking out at the sunset through Nassana Dantius' window. Pure Blade Runner.

The Reapers are heavily influenced by the Revelation Space series. There is a species / group called The Inhibitors that periodically wakes up to wipe out space-faring civilisations and then eliminate the evidence / making it look like natural extinctions. They go into hibernation until they are woken again. They leave behind vast, obviously artificial constructions scattered across the galaxy that lure new species into exploring them. Once they trigger these artefacts, it sends a signal to alert the inhibitors to their new target. They will ignore non-advanced species and allow them to develop without interference.

Their motive is also "quasi-benevolent but actually pretty stupid" - their goal is to shepard the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies through their upcoming collision by adjusting the position of stars and such. They considered the suppression of advanced species as necessary on the grounds that they believed organic species would not be able to coordinate / cooperate on a sufficiently large scale for their needs. Ultimately, their goal is long term preservation of the life-bearing capacity of the Milky Way.

They are impervious to conventional weaponry, have terrifyingly advanced technology, the usual trappings of "precusor" races.

Someone mentioned that the rachni were influenced by Alien, but I would say that Alien's influence lies more in the way that the humans react to them on Noveria in ME1. (There is also, of course, the chest-bursting scene.) The rachni themselves seem to be much more obviously influenced by the buggers/formics from Ender's Game. Both are telepathic, insectoid species with an intelligent queen and dumb drones. Both previously waged devastating wars against civilization. Both are essentially misunderstood, and the morality of whether or not to exterminate them entirely is the crux of their plotline.

I did for most of it.

Through 1996-2001 and I wasn't watching much scifi at all. From there I watched very little until 2008. Most of it fantasy. I'd missed B5, BSG, Farscape, all of the StarGates, everything after The Next Generation.

But the plus side is you won't have to wait for plot resolutions. So you won't have to question "Who are the final five?" and work yourself into a frenzy when they are revealed.
It's a lot of stuff to catch up on though isn't it? 6+ movies, and god knows how many hours of television episodes I gotta watch?
1. As bad as the fetch quests were in ME3 they were basically a replacement for planet scanning, a way to break up the combat that made sense in the context of the Reaper War. In Inquisition its worse since it's way more involved and makes no sense. I'm the Inquisitor find your own goddamn goat or lost ring.

2. BSG is a TV series, it starts off as a two hour mini-series which is basically the pilot and then you got 4 Seasons of greatness to watch. The very first episode past the pilot, "33," is one of the best pieces of television ever produced and it's not even my favorite episode. Also, fuck all the haters who dislike the ending it's great.

3. Don't know much about Stargate but there isn't too much Star Wars in Mass Effect since SW is more science fantasy. There are some visual cues and plot similarities. For example, ME2 is basically The Empire Strikes Back and I'd bet my ass off that the last shot in ME2 is a homage to the last shot in Empire Strikes Back. And, I guess you could also say that the Spectres are basically more "realistic" Jedi's, but that's about it.

4. Man, I have to say again you are in for some serious sci-fi greatness. I'd say start off with BSG since there's only 4 seasons, afterwards you can watch either Babylon 5 or if you've never seen Star Trek watch that starting with The Next Generation. And then of course watch ST: Deep Space 9 at which point you'll understand where BSG got a lot of it's ideas.

Heh, I actually don't think I had seen Blade Runner the first time I played ME2 but afterwards when replaying I was like HOLY SHIT, Omega is a blatant homage to Blade Runner as is the lighting used on Illium. The references on Ilium become even more apparent during Thane's mission as you drive the hover car to reach the building and then the final shot of Thane looking out at the sunset through Nassana Dantius' window. Pure Blade Runner.
1. the fetch quests in Me3 were worse than the mining. It ruined the narrative of Me3 because you're supposed to have this sense of urgency with the war; not going around doing things for other people; THOSE people should've felt the urgency as well. But oh well... the issues with Me3 go much deeper than that.

2. Okay, and they did make a film series too yeah? Damn, I've got so much to catch up on. Fuck.

3. I see. Well, that's that. Stars Wars to date probably is the most popular sci-fi franchise there is.

4. Lol, realistically though it's gonna take me a while to get through it all yeah? I don't even know when to get started. I gotta get employed first before I do anything else for leisure =P
Devs have already said that the way forward for the series is recapturing the things that made ME1 work and those priorities over ME2/3 linear shoot bang.
I don't know what you mean by "mass effect 1 gaf taking over"

prag16

Banned
BSG is incredible (the recent series; never saw the original). And as someone else said, fuck the haters; the ending was great. Especially in a world where so many shows have such shitty endings (Dexter was the most recent one to make me rage; How I Met Your Mother was probably even worse, but I didn't entirely care for that show the last few seasons regardless, and it was a comedy so w/e).

I even really liked the spinoff show Caprica, which was cancelled after one season.

Stargate is on my list to check out, but not sure what I should check out and in what order. Will have to look into that.

foxtrot3d

Banned
It's a lot of stuff to catch up on though isn't it? 6+ movies, and god knows how many hours of television episodes I gotta watch?

1. the fetch quests in Me3 were worse than the mining. It ruined the narrative of Me3 because you're supposed to have this sense of urgency with the war; not going around doing things for other people; THOSE people should've felt the urgency as well. But oh well... the issues with Me3 go much deeper than that.

2. Okay, and they did make a film series too yeah? Damn, I've got so much to catch up on. Fuck.

3. I see. Well, that's that. Stars Wars to date probably is the most popular sci-fi franchise there is.

4. Lol, realistically though it's gonna take me a while to get through it all yeah? I don't even know when to get started. I gotta get employed first before I do anything else for leisure =P

I don't know what you mean by "mass effect 1 gaf taking over"

They made a few BSG movies that take place in between some seasons but they aren't necessary viewing, more like further expansion of certain characters. And I hear you, you've got quite the backlog of awesome sci-fi waiting for you. Like I said when you get the chance it's probably best to start with BSG since it's not that long of a series. As for Babylon 5, the first season is pretty much dogshit but you have to watch it because it all pays off later. Also, you can pretty much skip the final (fifth) season if you want.

If you want to watch some Star Trek start off with TNG but since there are like 7 seasons I'd suggest watching the top 10 or 5 episodes for each season if you don't feel like watching it all. Then move on to Deep Space Nine and do the same thing until around S5, afterwards you should watch pretty much every episode since DS9 is way more serialized than TNG. In fact, by the final season it's pretty much completely serialized. Afterwards, you can go back and watch The Original Series, nothing beats that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy triumvirate and 60's camp. But, avoid Voyager and Enterprise like the plague.

X-Frame

The Reapers are heavily influenced by the Revelation Space series. There is a species / group called The Inhibitors that periodically wakes up to wipe out space-faring civilisations and then eliminate the evidence / making it look like natural extinctions. They go into hibernation until they are woken again. They leave behind vast, obviously artificial constructions scattered across the galaxy that lure new species into exploring them. Once they trigger these artefacts, it sends a signal to alert the inhibitors to their new target. They will ignore non-advanced species and allow them to develop without interference.

Their motive is also "quasi-benevolent but actually pretty stupid" - their goal is to shepard the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies through their upcoming collision by adjusting the position of stars and such. They considered the suppression of advanced species as necessary on the grounds that they believed organic species would not be able to coordinate / cooperate on a sufficiently large scale for their needs. Ultimately, their goal is long term preservation of the life-bearing capacity of the Milky Way.

They are impervious to conventional weaponry, have terrifyingly advanced technology, the usual trappings of "precusor" races.

Wow, I need to read that series next.

Where is my Citadel Chronicles game? Working as an investigator for C-Sec solving cases happening around the citadel, interacting with different species, citadel is one huge open world hub etc etc. Bioware pls..

Wow, I need to read that series next.
It's pretty great, I highly recommend it. Besides the all-powerful cyclical extinction thing, though, it bears no resemblance to Mass Effect. Interstellar travel is more complicated and takes years, and humanity is divided into several factions who mostly hate each other. Aliens are rare, and humans barely interact with them since they're so different and unrelatable.

They made a few BSG movies that take place in between some seasons but they aren't necessary viewing, more like further expansion of certain characters. And I hear you, you've got quite the backlog of awesome sci-fi waiting for you. Like I said when you get the chance it's probably best to start with BSG since it's not that long of a series. As for Babylon 5, the first season is pretty much dogshit but you have to watch it because it all pays off later. Also, you can pretty much skip the final (fifth) season if you want.

If you want to watch some Star Trek start off with TNG but since there are like 7 seasons I'd suggest watching the top 10 or 5 episodes for each season if you don't feel like watching it all. Then move on to Deep Space Nine and do the same thing until around S5, afterwards you should watch pretty much every episode since DS9 is way more serialized than TNG. In fact, by the final season it's pretty much completely serialized. Afterwards, you can go back and watch The Original Series, nothing beats that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy triumvirate and 60's camp. But, avoid Voyager and Enterprise like the plague.

i'll PM you guys when I actually sit down to watch all of it :) is any of it by any chance on netflix or do I gotta find the shit online?

also, OT, if I playthrough Me2 again for a second time with a newgame+, can I play as a different class or does it have to be the same class as I was first?

prag16

Banned
i'll PM you guys when I actually sit down to watch all of it :) is any of it by any chance on netflix or do I gotta find the shit online?

also, OT, if I playthrough Me2 again for a second time with a newgame+, can I play as a different class or does it have to be the same class as I was first?

95% sure you can choose a different class.

Murray97

I finished playing through the whole trilogy earlier this week and I miss it already. I feel like I need more from the Mass Effect universe.

I'm tempted to just replay them all again.. maybe as renegade.

foxtrot3d

Banned

BSG and Babylon 5 you gotta find on your own, Netflix used to have BSG but took it down recently. However, all of Star Trek is on Netflix.

I didn't really mind the ending of BSG, but I hated season 3. The show was just marking time and making some very blunt commentary on the war in Iraq.

kosmologi

I didn't really mind the ending of BSG, but I hated season 3. The show was just marking time and making some very blunt commentary on the war in Iraq.

BSG could have been even better if it only ran 3 seasons. Season 3 had too many irrelevant episodes. Getting all the relevant stuff from s3 and 4 would've been difficult to fit into one season, though.

BioWare should make some spinoff Mass Effect games, too. Like a C-Sec game tringworldso mentioned or a 3rd person game in a different style (think Dead Space, Uncharted).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom