• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSG could have been even better if it only ran 3 seasons. Season 3 had too many irrelevant episodes. Getting all the relevant stuff from s3 and 4 would've been difficult to fit into one season, though.
Agreed. However, the
Adama maneuver
was fanfuckingtastic. That would need to stay in, no matter what.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Devs have already said that the way forward for the series is recapturing the things that made ME1 work and those priorities over ME2/3 linear shoot bang.

Ah there's the disconnect. Some of us feel that ME1 didn't work and don't have much confidence that the experience they deliver for "exploration" will be significantly better than what was in ME1 or DA3.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong in 2016(?).

Any news on a trilogy remaster? I'm jonesing for it so bad.

I just cannot go back and play the 360 version ever again.

I play the 360 versions a lot. Mass Effect 2 annoys me in that I can't play single player if my console is connected. Keeps trying to check for DLC, I also lost a lot of my save files from ME2 after I bought the DLC =(.

I played leviathan for the first time yesterday. I didn't like it much, the story is pretty cool but the combat was really lacking, Reapers are too easy for me.

Edit:

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD!!! I lost my main save file of Mass Effect 3. I feel like my Dog die or something.

Lethe82

Banned
Ah there's the disconnect. Some of us feel that ME1 didn't work and don't have much confidence that the experience they deliver for "exploration" will be significantly better than what was in ME1 or DA3.

Of course I would love to be proven wrong in 2016(?).
Well a lot of people disagree, and them moving away from Unreal Engine alone should really aid them in being able to even better realize the experience of ME1 than they ever could at the time.

were you guys generally satisfied with the outcome of the Me2 vs Uc2 thread?

Me2 had a huuuuuuge impact on me, and I'm one of those who were LTTP without a choice since I played it on Ps3. Trust me I'm a hardcore ME fan, and I think I'm in the minority for it because most of us are probably ex360 owners/xbone owners at this point, yeah? So although I didn't get the full ME experience (played Me1 only once, and after playing Me2 extensively and Me3), I hate the ending as much as anyone could.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Me2 had a huuuuuuge impact on me, and I'm one of those who were LTTP without a choice since I played it on Ps3. Trust me I'm a hardcore ME fan, and I think I'm in the minority for it because most of us are probably ex360 owners/xbone owners at this point, yeah? So although I didn't get the full ME experience (played Me1 only once, and after playing Me2 extensively and Me3), I hate the ending as much as anyone could.

1. The two games are too different to be compared.

2. How the hell did UC2 win? ME2 is the better game period.

UC2 alone sold 5 million copies to date. As of mid 2011, the Mass Effect series had sold a combined total of 7 million units. More people have played Uncharted 2 and I can guarantee you that there are tons of people who voted that had only played one game but not both. ME2 is also a game that has experienced backlash on Neogaf - the "ME1 4eva" crowd is pretty loud here.

Guri

I didn't even visit that thread. I find that console wars can be very toxic, so an exclusive, especially a good one, will always be more important to a fanboy/fangirl. That being said, I don't think it's fair to compare a linear shooter with a hub-based RPG.

UC2 alone sold 5 million copies to date. As of mid 2011, the Mass Effect series had sold a combined total of 7 million units. More people have played Uncharted 2 and I can guarantee you that there are tons of people who voted that had only played one game but not both. ME2 is also a game that has experienced backlash on Neogaf - the "ME1 4eva" crowd is pretty loud here.

Also, the "ME3 retroactively ruined the series" people probably played a role.

1. The two games are too different to be compared.

1. They are different games but they both share very distinctive similarities, many of which I mentioned in the thread but the most important one being, they both have amazing, spectacular, absolutely stellar single player experiences. The question is/was, which one was the best, because one of them has to be better, right?
I don't know.
People have stated in that thread, that one of the reasons Uc2 is greater than Me2 because Me2 aims higher and doesn't reach, that it is "not a great RPG" but I don't understand that, I thought the consensus was, Me2 being one of the GOATs, it was a great RPG, buy why is it considered not?

And something else that is unclear to me... why does gaf think Me1 is the better RPG/better game?
I didn't even visit that thread. I find that console wars can be very toxic, so an exclusive, especially a good one, will always be more important to a fanboy/fangirl. That being said, I don't think it's fair to compare a linear shooter with a hub-based RPG.
Me2 was exclusive for a while. And that counts for something. It helped make ME recognized as more of an XBox franchise and had 360 as the best selling platform for ME. As games, Me2 and Uc2 were had elemental similarities enough for me to ultimately decide making that thread.

Guri

Me2 was exclusive for a while. And that counts for something. It helped make ME recognized as more of an XBox franchise and had 360 as the best selling platform for ME. As games, Me2 and Uc2 were had elemental similarities enough for me to ultimately decide making that thread.

I never saw Mass Effect as an exclusive franchise because the games were always released simultaneously on PC. I know "console exclusive" is a thing, but I never saw Xbox fans worshipping it like they do with, say, Gears of War or Halo. Uncharted 1 meant a change for the PS3 and the sequel improved a lot of aspects. If I'm not mistaken, U2 was an October-09 release and Mass Effect 2 was in.. January-10? I played both at release and never thought of comparing them. I don't like doing that, haha.

prag16

Banned
Well a lot of people disagree, and them moving away from Unreal Engine alone should really aid them in being able to even better realize the experience of ME1 than they ever could at the time.
To each their own, but I can't imagine how anyone enjoyed the "exploration" in ME1. Sure, the "idea" of ME1 exploration.. that's what the ME1 supremacists hope to see in ME4.

But as executed in ME1, it was crap imo. Boring planets (with nice skyboxes) with a thresher maw and a cookie cutter base, copypasta. And I spent about the minimum time in the mako as was physically possible in three playthroughs.

Got way more mileage out of 2 and 3 personally.

I never saw Mass Effect as an exclusive franchise because the games were always released simultaneously on PC. I know "console exclusive" is a thing, but I never saw Xbox fans worshipping it like they do with, say, Gears of War or Halo. Uncharted 1 meant a change for the PS3 and the sequel improved a lot of aspects. If I'm not mistaken, U2 was an October-09 release and Mass Effect 2 was in.. January-10? I played both at release and never thought of comparing them. I don't like doing that, haha.
I've never been a PC gamer, other than having GTA III on my PC when I was a teenager. I respect it but gaming for me largely is about the consoles. So ME to me has always been an XBox series, even after going multiplatform (thank god EA made it so though, otherwise I'd never kno what I was missing out on)

I'm willing to bet that ME was not a huge seller on 360 because it was entirely single player, without a hint of multiplayer (until of course 5 years into the series life). the xbox brand in general is seen I think as mostly a shooter, multiplayer console platform.

Mass Effect 1 wasn't a simultaneously release with PC.
I'm willing to bet that ME was not a huge seller on 360 because it was entirely single player, without a hint of multiplayer (until of course 5 years into the series life). the xbox brand in general is seen I think as mostly a shooter, multiplayer console platform.
Hmm? It is a pretty big seller, especially on the 360. For a new IP, it did pretty damn well. The 360 version of ME3 sold close to 1 million at launch, outselling the PS3 version 4:1. That being said, I don't think the sales of the franchise are as big as EA would have wanted.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, both games excel at doing what they want to do.

UC2 is a linear game where everything is established for you. Nathan Drake is who he is.

Mass Effect you get to decide who Commander Shepard is.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That being said, I don't think the sales of the franchise are as big as EA would have wanted.

While the ending of ME3 is where most of the backlash and venom comes from. I ALWAYS felt when playing that game is that EA really forced Bioware's hand to make the game much more mainstream and accessible to appeal to a larger audience.

Granted I will never hold it against anyone trying to expand their audience I just felt that EA had too much of a hand in it.

But there is plenty of blame to go around as to why ME3 was slammed by hardcore fans.

Guri

I've never been a PC gamer, other than having GTA III on my PC when I was a teenager. I respect it but gaming for me largely is about the consoles. So ME to me has always been an XBox series, even after going multiplatform (thank god EA made it so though, otherwise I'd never kno what I was missing out on)

That's true! Uncharted is more like what PlayStation fans seem to enjoy.

Oh, that's right. But it was always planned. BioWare wasn't as big back then, so it was ported by another studio.

UC2 is a linear game where everything is established for you. Nathan Drake is who he is.

Exactly!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh, that's right. But it was always planned. BioWare wasn't as big back then, so it was ported by another studio.

That was right before EA acquired Bioware and MS was the publisher and probably had intended for ME to remain exclusive to 360. EA acquiring Bioware probably changed everything.

Patryn

That was right before EA acquired Bioware and MS was the publisher and probably had intended for ME to remain exclusive to 360. EA acquiring Bioware probably changed everything.

I remain perpetually curious if Microsoft ever thought about grabbing Bioware. And if so, how would things have gone?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

I know people tend to hate on EA for acquiring Bioware and influencing them on later titles, but I'm kinda glad actually... I would have missed playing the ME trilogy if it stayed a Xbox exclusive.

The Reapers are heavily influenced by the Revelation Space series. There is a species / group called The Inhibitors that periodically wakes up to wipe out space-faring civilisations and then eliminate the evidence / making it look like natural extinctions. They go into hibernation until they are woken again. They leave behind vast, obviously artificial constructions scattered across the galaxy that lure new species into exploring them. Once they trigger these artefacts, it sends a signal to alert the inhibitors to their new target. They will ignore non-advanced species and allow them to develop without interference.

Their motive is also "quasi-benevolent but actually pretty stupid" - their goal is to shepard the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies through their upcoming collision by adjusting the position of stars and such. They considered the suppression of advanced species as necessary on the grounds that they believed organic species would not be able to coordinate / cooperate on a sufficiently large scale for their needs. Ultimately, their goal is long term preservation of the life-bearing capacity of the Milky Way.

They are impervious to conventional weaponry, have terrifyingly advanced technology, the usual trappings of "precusor" races.

sounds like mass effect writers copied this book 100%.

nel e nel

Well, they used a heavily modified version of the Unreal engine for ME1, and they also had very little experience with shooting mechanics.

With 2, they finally realized that trying to reinvent the wheel with Unreal engine was kinda dumb since it already had a lot of the tools built in to make good shooting mechanics in their game, hence the more 'Gearsy' feel to it.

Derpcrawler

I got tired of waiting HD Remaster for consoles and started playing in 4K on PC 60FPS. To be honest, I am not even sure why I waited to begin with, considering before I had beefy PC with 780s in SLI and now I upgraded to Haswell-E and two GTX980s in SLI.

Also, I have all addons for all games on PS3/360, but I checked prices on PC and all DLC are still full priced. Is there a way to get them cheaper? I kinda don't want to drop another 60-70 bucks on all DLC for PC.

my new Shepard in 4K, decided to try out FemShepard:

2709991AA93365690358C6E55C3F4E61E453EC25

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I got tired of waiting HD Remaster for consoles and started playing in 4K on PC 60FPS. To be honest, I am not even sure why I waited to begin with, considering before I had beefy PC with 780s in SLI and now I upgraded to Haswell-E and two GTX980s in SLI.

Also, I have all addons for all games on PS3/360, but I checked prices on PC and all DLC are still full priced. Is there a way to get them cheaper? I kinda don't want to drop another 60-70 bucks on all DLC for PC.

Nope, DLCs never go on sale on PC, stupid I know. I usually bought DLCs day 1 anyway, not just because i'm a fan, but because the price will never go down lol.

Hmm? It is a pretty big seller, especially on the 360. For a new IP, it did pretty damn well. The 360 version of ME3 sold close to 1 million at launch, outselling the PS3 version 4:1. That being said, I don't think the sales of the franchise are as big as EA would have wanted.
Okay it is a big seller, I guess what I should've said is, it didn't do gears of war numbers (also a new IP last gen) because of lack of multiplayer.

ME sold on a way huger margin on 360 because that's still the only place where you'd get the full ME experience (at the time) and because for the most part 360 had a higher attachment rate than Ps3.
That's true! Uncharted is more like what PlayStation fans seem to enjoy.

Exactly!
I wouldn't say it's just simply put what PlayStation fans enjoy more, but what our platform has been most identified with - single player experience. since mw2, cod's always been the best selling game and even the the 360 version outsells it by a wide margin.

That's been established but put it this way - if both games came out in Q4 of 2009, they'd definitely both be contenders for GOTY - but only one would be chosen for it, so with that type of mindset (two great ass games) I asked the question, which of the two had the best single player experience
I know people tend to hate on EA for acquiring Bioware and influencing them on later titles, but I'm kinda glad actually... I would have missed playing the ME trilogy if it stayed a Xbox exclusive.

THIS, THIS THIS so much. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I do not hate EA, for the record I appreciate them. If it weren't for them, I would never get to experience the great thing that is Me2 on my Ps3.

In light of the Battlefield Hardline beta, I'm interested in how a non-cross gen Frostbite powered game will look. All games using Frostbite on the current gen consoles have been cross gen thus far, and I haven't really been blow away by any of them from a technology standpoint.

But with Aayrn having this to say:
...I'd go so far as to say that dropping the older consoles has had more impact on the overall gameplay goals of the next Mass Effect game than what DAI successfully accomplished.".

It makes me think supporting the older consoles is really holding Frostbite back. It also has me extremely excited ME is only on current gen, and makes me wonder how exactly the gameplay goals have been influenced.

Sagely

I was very impressed with how DA: Inquisition looked, so the idea that the next Mass Effect could be even more gorgeous is just mouth-watering.

To think that just over a year ago I hadn't played anything from Bioware; since then I've marathonned the ME trilogy and played DA Origins and Inquisition twice each. I adore these games and everything they stand for, and can't wait for more :)

Patryn

I was very impressed with how DA: Inquisition looked, so the idea that the next Mass Effect could be even more gorgeous is just mouth-watering.

To think that just over a year ago I hadn't played anything from Bioware; since then I've marathonned the ME trilogy and played DA Origins and Inquisition twice each. I adore these games and everything they stand for, and can't wait for more :)

If you have a PC and can appreciate older games, do yourself a favor and get Knights of the Old Republic, and the Baldur's Gate trilogy (which is actually 2 games and an expansion).

Sagely

If you have a PC and can appreciate older games, do yourself a favor and get Knights of the Old Republic, and the Baldur's Gate trilogy (which is actually 2 games and an expansion).

That's funny, I bought the KOTORs just today! I also plan to play the Baldur's Gate games too; not a doubt in my mind that I'd love them. It's quite the backlog but should be a lot of fun.

While the ending of ME3 is where most of the backlash and venom comes from. I ALWAYS felt when playing that game is that EA really forced Bioware's hand to make the game much more mainstream and accessible to appeal to a larger audience.

Granted I will never hold it against anyone trying to expand their audience I just felt that EA had too much of a hand in it.

But there is plenty of blame to go around as to why ME3 was slammed by hardcore fans.
Yeah, with ME3 they kept saying "there's never been a better time to jump in."

I'm pretty sure they would still be on PC if MS was still the publisher. Probably not right away, but a year later.

I remain perpetually curious if Microsoft ever thought about grabbing Bioware. And if so, how would things have gone?
I'm pretty sure Shane Kim mentioned they tried. The thing is, BioWare had merged with Pandemic, so MS would have had to buy both when they probably only wanted the Mass Effect team. Also, BioWare was working on SWTOR, which would have been a pretty big investment. I think SWTOR was the reason EA bought them in the first place. They needed something to go up against World of Warcraft.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, with ME3 they kept saying "there's never been a better time to jump in. "
To be honest the game does accomplish that reasonably well. I mean if you had never played any of the previous installments Mass Effect 3 is a pretty darn good third person shooter. In that regard it was successful. People jumping in arent likely to care about the characters that much nor have much care with the ending.

Again I'll never hold it against a company to try and expand their audience, but it should not be done at the expense of your current fans.

Femshep is the bestshep. Romance Garrus and buy the Citadel DLC, shit's pure excellence.

To be honest the game does accomplish that reasonably well. I mean if you had never played any of the previous installments Mass Effect 3 is a pretty darn good third person shooter. In that regard it was successful. People jumping in arent likely to care about the characters that much nor have much care with the ending.

Again I'll never hold it against a company to try and expand their audience, but it should not be done at the expense of your current fans.
I liked James Vega, for the most part. even though everybody hates him.
Femshep is the bestshep. Romance Garrus and buy the Citadel DLC, shit's pure excellence.

never got the citadel DLC. lost pretty much all interest in this game after buying leviathan.

Shame. Citadel is like the best thing about ME3.

i'm sure the content is great but the premise is silly. celebrating more during the war adds on to the disbelief that the game already had. if it was a post-ending DLC, then it would've been more acceptable and could've made things nicer.

i'm sure the content is great but the premise is silly. celebrating more during the war adds on to the disbelief that the game already had. if it was a post-ending DLC, then it would've been more acceptable and could've made things nicer.
People still enjoy themselves and find times to celebrate and have peace even in times of war, it's not necessarily an unbelievable thing. Quite common actually.

jmood88

You need to talk to some soldiers or read about war. People aren't super-serious all the time, even in dire situations.

People still enjoy themselves and find times to celebrate and have peace even in times of war, it's not necessarily an unbelievable thing. Quite common actually.
this war a war on a galactic scale, orchestrated by what is supposed to be an unfathomably powerful army.
You need to talk to some soldiers or read about war. People aren't super-serious all the time, even in dire situations.

I don't doubt it. Shepard's attitude did not seem to me like it would suit the contents of the citadel dlc. "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

the sense of urgency I expected to feel throughout Me3 generally wasn't there. And the revelation of the citadel dlc didn't remedy that in the slightest.

Sure but not everywhere in the galaxy was under attack simultaneously, there are times when taking a breather is necessary in a major war.

I get that, but we the players and Shepard knew how high the stakes were. this is gonna get redundant because I did not like Me3. Me2 is my favorite game ever (I keep going back and forth with it and Uc2), but Me3 to me was an utter disappointment. There was a lot more wrong with that game than just its ending.

TheFatMan

I feel like Mass Effect could learn a lot from the larger areas of Dragon Age. I know some people hated the game...but I loved it and I hope to see a bit of that shine through to Mass Effect.

That said, I think it's pretty obvious that ME and DA are pretty different creatures and always have been.

Patryn

I wonder what it is about this moment that led to this pushback. They could have just let things be and dealt with the issue when they had stuff to show off (guessing either E3 this year or early next year).

Did Bioware just begin to worry that this idea was gaining critical mass?

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be talking, seeing as Aaryn's post was in direct reply to me.

prag16

Banned
I get that, but we the players and Shepard knew how high the stakes were. this is gonna get redundant because I did not like Me3. Me2 is my favorite game ever (I keep going back and forth with it and Uc2), but Me3 to me was an utter disappointment. There was a lot more wrong with that game than just its ending.

Man. I just can't understand this stance. ME3 had further refined combat systems and area designs, and more "mainline" plot missions than ME2. Otherwise the games were really similar in how they looked and played in most respects. ME2 has the edge in a couple areas, but I don't think you're being objective whatsoever if you hold one up as favorite game of all time, and "don't like" the other.

It's like when people argue that UC2 is GOAT, but UC3 "sucks", only worse imo because I probably actually like ME3 better than ME2 overall, even with the ending detracting from 3.

Man. I just can't understand this stance. ME3 had further refined combat systems and area designs, and more "mainline" plot missions than ME2. Otherwise the games were really similar in how they looked and played in most respects. ME2 has the edge in a couple areas, but I don't think you're being objective whatsoever if you hold one up as favorite game of all time, and "don't like" the other.

It's like when people argue that UC2 is GOAT, but UC3 "sucks", only worse imo because I probably actually like ME3 better than ME2 overall, even with the ending detracting from 3.
Here's the thing, almost everyone admits that ME3 has the best combat/RPG mechanics of the three games, but the fact that a lot of the stock game was fetch quests and repurposed MP maps really hurt its stock, even before taking the ending into account.

prag16

Banned
Here's the thing, almost everyone admits that ME3 has the best combat/RPG mechanics of the three games, but the fact that a lot of the stock game was fetch quests and repurposed MP maps really hurt its stock, even before taking the ending into account.

And that's a perfectly valid stance to have (even though I'd argue with some aspects of that in ME3's favor, personally). But I see that as a far cry from saying "ME2 is my favorite game of all time, and I didn't like ME3 and/or ME3 is bad".

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

hmmm...NO.

That honor would go to ME1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom