• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is up for PS5 and Xbox X/S

Elios83

You have to go to one of the yellow icons on the map.

Yeah thanks.
If other people can't find it: there are some golden plates scattered around the map. Near the yellow icon in the upper right corner of the map there is one that allows to switch to night view.

K2D

Banned
XOOKWCe.jpg

I don't think you can have photo realistic, non-uncanny valley characters AND interesting gameplay.

You have to choose up to two.

I.e. maybe you can have a Matrix Awakens levels-of-graphics walking simulator - with believable actors.. But you can't add Spiderman gameplay to the mix..
Please prove me wrong this generation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't spot a difference between the xbox and ps5 outside of how each console looks on my tv at the same settings. There is some differences I feel the ps5 is more black crushed and I think the xbox version might have a slightly longer pause or stutter between camera cuts on the chase sequence.

Framerate on both seems to be around the same? Driving under a viaduct at speed tanks the framerate. Crashes etc make the framerate tank.

3liteDragon

Is this demo using UE5’s software compute shaders for triangle rasterization or is it using the consoles’ mesh/primitive shaders feature? We’re supposed to get a DF video & interview on this today, I hope that question’s asked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wait how do you turn on night time in city exploration mode?
I saw the option just for a few seconds in the engine features panoramic but I can't find the setting in the menus afterwards.

Find yellow circles on the map. There are three. They all let you change it to night time

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don’t think people realize that this is using hardware accelerated lumens which is the highest quality setting on PCs Valley off the Ancient demo.

Epic had said back then that the ps5 and xsx will target only 1080p when using rt accelerators. Medium quality lumens targets 1440p 30 fps. It is also using RT for reflections which is typically a 35% performance hit on the gpu compared to regular SSR reflections.

What im saying is that devs will stick to medium lumens and no RT reflections to get a stable framerate and high enough resolution. Especially in big open worlds. This is basically the peak of what’s possible next Gen. hell, you might even get 60 fps modes at this 1080p resolution and medium lumens Lighting we saw in the first two UE5 demos.

I forsee three modes
1440p-1800p 30 fps non rt mode
1080p 60 fps non rt mode
1080p 30 fps rt mode

All i know if that the chase scene looked so real i thought i was playing a fmv. It wasn’t until my second play through did I recognize the streets and highways I had driven in the open world section. They are able to really push the lighting quality and LODs when they have you locked in a an onrails section. Its like how NDs cutscenes look way better than their gameplay models, only this time epic can push cutscene quality models and lighting during linear gameplay.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I expect someone else has said it in this thread, but you can dramatically improve things in the in-game settings...

Turn off Matrix Filter, and set Crowd / Traffic / Parked Cars to 50%.

Lethal01

Is this demo using UE5’s software compute shaders for triangle rasterization or is it using the consoles’ mesh/primitive shaders feature? We’re supposed to get a DF video & interview on this today, I hope that question’s asked.

This was answered last year, it uses both and switches depending on the size of the triangles.

Your whole point was based around how much GI had improved in one year, now you have no idea. Time, right? Well try giving us a time because we should expect big improvements in several years, but we're already a year into the generation.

No need to wait many years, engines improve every year.
I didn't say I have no Idea, I said I don't remember the specific numbers and because few people actually care to find out it's not something that's easy to find again on a whim despite not being a secret.

The devs had already said there were significant improvements from the first demo to the valley of the ancients demo. and that was before they started using hardware acceleration to speed things up.

For the rest of it, they have already said they have tons of CPU overhead that would be enough for most modern games. they already have tons of cars and people on screen, they aren't going to suddenly fall apart because you need to fight some npcs. Assuming combat, it's unlikely to be more taxing than driving into cars already is.

Last edited:

Ivan

It is really impressive, finally something truly next-gen.

It only lacks some stuff that requires a lot of manpower and dedication, like character animation etc, face capture etc. That part is a little jarring, but overall - fantastic.

HoofHearted

I love creating traffic jams in this game lol gotta love those next Gen CPUs.

Lol same… last night I was just screwing around on the highway and then realized I had created a traffic jam. Just sat there and watched the traffic build up to see how the engine could handle more cars… ended up with a mile plus long jam with at least 1000+ cars. Pretty wild…

Darius87

I don’t think people realize that this is using hardware accelerated lumens which is the highest quality setting on PCs Valley off the Ancient demo.

Epic had said back then that the ps5 and xsx will target only 1080p when using rt accelerators. Medium quality lumens targets 1440p 30 fps. It is also using RT for reflections which is typically a 35% performance hit on the gpu compared to regular SSR reflections.

What im saying is that devs will stick to medium lumens and no RT reflections to get a stable framerate and high enough resolution. Especially in big open worlds. This is basically the peak of what’s possible next Gen. hell, you might even get 60 fps modes at this 1080p resolution and medium lumens Lighting we saw in the first two UE5 demos.
lumen had hardware and software RT from the start first example was "land of nanite" demo on PS5 lumen was RT HW accelerated back then.

ethomaz

Banned
Now Rockstar is in trouble because if GTA6 looks any worse than this, it’s not gonna be acceptable.
?

GTA games were never praised for graphics.
They were actually on average in that point.

It is different from RDR for example where they focus more in graphics.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I noticed before some NPC's looked very detailed. I just figured out you can use the in game camera mode, get in front of them with it to make them stop.

Even something like making NPC's more detailed and unique will be nice.

jroc74

I love creating traffic jams in this game lol gotta love those next Gen CPUs.

Same, lol.

I caused one by mistake, then caused another one trying to clear the first one.

And it had an impact driving around, part of the highway was very clear, empty...because of the traffic jams.

Last edited:

jroc74

I expect someone else has said it in this thread, but you can dramatically improve things in the in-game settings...

Turn off Matrix Filter, and set Crowd / Traffic / Parked Cars to 50%.
Yup, first thing anyone should do is turn off the filter.

I just set everything else to 25%. Or traffic to zero to see how fast I can drive on the freeway.

There are some ramps you can jump off too. Nothing big or major, just the trailers used to transport cars. Its basically a ramp park near the bottom of the map.

nikolino840

I don't know..the first part seems better....
The walking animation is...i don't know..maybe because wasn't that the important part of the tech demo..

nikolino840

I actually wonder if it’s reused animation from the original lumen in naniteland demo
Who knows...but i'm playing lost judgment and walking and running in Ijincho feels better (yeah i know that is a finished games)
but textures and buildings and lights are amazing tho

ReBurn

Gold Member
I ran it on both XSX and PS5. It was kinda cool to see it in action on both. I could go for a game made like this.

Romulus

No need to wait many years, engines improve every year.
I didn't say I have no Idea, I said I don't remember the specific numbers and because few people actually care to find out it's not something that's easy to find again on a whim despite not being a secret.

The devs had already said there were significant improvements from the first demo to the valley of the ancients demo. and that was before they started using hardware acceleration to speed things up.

For the rest of it, they have already said they have tons of CPU overhead that would be enough for most modern games. they already have tons of cars and people on screen, they aren't going to suddenly fall apart because you need to fight some npcs. Assuming combat, it's unlikely to be more taxing than driving into cars already is.

Just to be clear, you originally said in one year GI had seen huge advances. I asked you to prove it and crickets. I never made any claims either way.
So you're taking the word of an engine developer trying to sell their engine that theres enough cpu overheard? Ok, for what? Maybe they should simply have a stable fps first if that's the case. They spent all this time and money on art, why not performance if its so easy?
You honestly think combat, bullets, smoke, and explosions is something that can be added with little affect to performance? Lol. Even cars in the demo are bare bones outside of the damage model. They don't catch fire, no head beams at night, even the water surrounding the city is straight out of a PS3 game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Needs a PC version, it’s amazing but the framerate makes me motion sick whenever I drive, fly, or move the camera too fast.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I forsee three modes
1440p-1800p 30 fps non rt mode
1080p 60 fps non rt mode
1080p 30 fps rt mode

All i know if that the chase scene looked so real i thought i was playing a fmv. It wasn’t until my second play through did I recognize the streets and highways I had driven in the open world section. They are able to really push the lighting quality and LODs when they have you locked in a an onrails section. Its like how NDs cutscenes look way better than their gameplay models, only this time epic can push cutscene quality models and lighting during linear gameplay.
I did notice some SSR on objects though where if I turned the camera I would see it pop in on the building glass, so I don’t think it’s completely RT in the reflections. Environmental, maybe, but some objects like cars seemed to pop in. Not all of them did, but select ones seemed to.

Could also be a “glitch in the matrix”

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know..the first part seems better....
The walking animation is...i don't know..maybe because wasn't that the important part of the tech demo..
I’m pretty sure they didn’t spend any budget on mocap and that’s why it looks like a basic open source animation. The purpose was to show the world and the tech off, character models and rigs are for the artistry of the game developers.

When it’s in developers hands, that’s when it will shine.

elliot5

I don't think the original actors want their avatars sodomized over the internet.
well maybe not those assets, but the city assets. In the DF video they said during their time talking to Epic they mentioned it's going to all be publicly available for use.

FrankWza

Has anyone been able to get into the water? I’m trying to find a car carrier near the water to try and jump in. All the water parts are blocked by a fence.

Lethal01

Just to be clear, you originally said in one year GI had seen huge advances. I asked you to prove it and crickets.

Don't think you asked me to prove it. you asked how much it's improved and I didn't go quiet, I said I didn't have an exact number but it's substantial, atleast 10% just going by what I remember from testing out an older version vs a newer one. And again we know that RT is now hardware accelerated, it goes without saying that it's faster.

This is not some mysterious engine that you can't touch, this had been available in early access for ages, it's easy to see how much heavier it is on GPU than CPU. Why did they focus on graphics and not performance? Because devs are already aware you could improve it with optimization, it's far more important to show just how good it can look and that it's possible to put a product out with it. Proving that you can have raytraced GI,Shadows and reflections in a city of this quality is important, A dev isn't going to worry about a tech demo dipping to 24fps when all that is happening they understand that fixing these things are small in comparison to getting the graphics to this level.

I've got no reason to doubt them when they say there is tons of CPU headroom, A lie about that would only hurt them since this is coming to pc soon enough and we have already seen how it works for ourselves.

This isn't some game company desperate to make their day one sales as high as possible.

I know for certain that combat in many games is extremely cheap compared to the graphics and crowd simulation of this. Not saying that it works with absolutely anything. but, most games don't require more than what you saw in the shooting segment. If you aren't making something like the zombie system in days gone combat is usually very cheap on the CPU, Demons souls ran on ps3, a little headroom is often all you need.

Last edited:

Romulus

Don't think you asked me to prove it. you asked how much it's improved and I didn't go quiet, I said I didn't have an exact number but it's substantial, atleast 10% just going by what I remember from testing out an older version vs a newer one. And again we know that RT is now hardware accelerated, it goes without saying that it's faster.

This is not some mysterious engine that you can't touch, this had been available in early access for ages, it's easy to see how much heavier it is on GPU than CPU. Why did they focus on graphics and not performance? Because devs are already aware you could improve it with optimization, it's far more important to show just how good it can look and that it's possible to put a product out with it. Proving that you can have raytraced GI,Shadows and reflections in a city of this quality is important, A dev isn't going to worry about a tech demo dipping to 24fps when all that is happening they understand that fixing these things are small in comparison to getting the graphics to this level.

I've got no reason to doubt them when they say there is tons of CPU headroom, A lie about that would only hurt them since this is coming to pc soon enough and we have already seen how it works for ourselves.

This isn't some game company desperate to make their day one sales as high as possible.

I know for certain that combat in many games is extremely cheap compared to the graphics and crowd simulation of this. Not saying that it works with absolutely anything. but, most games don't require more than what you saw in the shooting segment. If you aren't making something like the zombie system in days gone combat is usually very cheap on the CPU, Demons souls ran on ps3, a little headroom is often all you need.

You made the claim and went quiet. It's substantial. Ok. How substantial and how do we know this will translate to better performance like GI? If you're claiming 10% that's really not getting us out of the slideshow fps here. You're essentially taking the word of developers that's there's "tons" of headroom but if that were the case it would be a stable 30fps or even higher. None of it makes any sense.
No one is arguing they can't make improvements and everything is frozen lol not my point at all. My point is there is way too much to add.

Lethal01

You made the claim and went quiet.
I made the claim then answered right away. there was no attempt to avoid answering or hesitation. You said "you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." and I pointed out that you can and you already have. You could have made the same claim about the last demo and this demo would have proven you to be extremely wrong. Improvements are very expected from software that isn't even out yet. What part of that is "going quiet"? the first thing i said was I don't have an exact number since I'm not personally a part of the team working on it.

Ok. How substantial and how do we know this will translate to better performance like GI? If you're claiming 10% that's really not getting us out of the slideshow fps here. You're essentially taking the word of developers that's there's "tons" of headroom but if that were the case it would be a stable 30fps or even higher. None of it makes any sense.

They said there was tons of CPU headroom. as in for calculations like AI, Bullet trajectories things like that which are important in gameplay. The lighting and reflections are not what's making the game dip.

The bottleneck is the GPU. Having tons of CPU headroom means they can add a bunch of GAMEPLAY related calculation without affecting performance, so putting in a combat system that would not be heavy on the CPU is not a concern.

No one is arguing they can't make improvements and everything is frozen lol not my point at all. My point is there is way too much to add.

They said (and we see) that most of the performance issues are coming from the way they switch Nanite cars out with non-nantie cars and some issues with world streaming. These are issues we can see clearly and exactly the type of issues that usually get fixed by the end of development. Basically, they are closer to bugs than a sign of this being ridiculously demanding and ready to fall apart if anything new was added.

But hey, maybe out of the thousand of issues like this that usually get fixed during the course of development these ones just happen to be totally unfixable but it would be silly to assume that.

Last edited:

Romulus

I made the claim then answered right away. there was no attempt to avoid answering or hesitation. You said "you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." and I pointed out that you can and you already have. You could have made the same claim about the last demo and this demo would have proven you to be extremely wrong. Improvements are very expected from software that isn't even out yet. What part of that is "going quiet"? the first thing i said was I don't have an exact number since I'm not personally a part of the team working on it.

They said there was tons of CPU headroom. as in for calculations like AI, Bullet trajectories things like that which are important in gameplay. The lighting and reflections are not what's making the game dip.

The bottleneck is the GPU. Having tons of CPU headroom means they can add a bunch of GAMEPLAY related calculation without affecting performance, so putting in a combat system that would not be heavy on the CPU is not a concern.

They said (and we see) that most of the performance issues are coming from the way they switch Nanite cars out with non-nantie cars and some issues with world streaming. These are issues we can see clearly and exactly the type of issues that usually get fixed by the end of development. Basically, they are closer to bugs than a sign of this being ridiculously demanding and ready to fall apart if anything new was added.

But hey, maybe out of the thousand of issues like this that usually get fixed during the course of development these ones just happen to be totally unfixable but it would be silly to assume that.

You made the claim that GI made huge strides in a year then said you didn't know the timeline or the actual gain. I mean we're literally havng this conversation based on that claim. What's the actual data? You never addressed it specifically after using it as an argument. "I think." You don't want to spend the time backing up your claim with facts yet you spend the time posting over and over about it. And do you really think they're going to release a demo and say they tried optimizing it further but couldn't get a stable fps? That's not great business lol
So if we're going off technology making incredible performance gains, what is it? What is the timeline? Because this would definitely need it.
And what do you foresee? This exact level of detail/resolution + combat etc AND a much higher fps?

Last edited:

Lethal01

You made the claim that GI made huge strides in a year then said you didn't know the timeline or the actual gain. I mean we're literally havng this conversation based on that claim.
We are having this convo based on your claim that "you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." when this was proven false.

What's the actual data? You never addressed it specifically after using it as an argument. "I think." You don't want to spend the time backing up your claim with facts yet you spend the time posting over and over about it.
The data is that Lumen is now using hardware accelerated RT, the fact is that Lumen is now using hardware accelerated RT. Whether it's 50% faster or 10% I couldn't say, but it's definitely faster, either are a lot"you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." false. But a lot of your reasoning is that "the devs are just lying" so forget about it. I'm sure they are lying everytime they say that they've made lumen more performant.

Their hardware RT now support about 10x more instances than it did at the release of EA

And do you really think they're going to release a demo and say they tried optimizing it further but couldn't get a stable fps? That's not great business lol
Yes, they do it all the time. People who aren't gamers are aware what tech demos are

So if we're going off technology making incredible performance gains, what is it? What is the timeline? Because this would definitely need it.
And what do you foresee? This exact level of detail/resolution + combat etc AND a much higher fps?

Sure, this at locked 30fps plus combat sounds right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom