• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is up for PS5 and Xbox X/S

Theres no indication on time, it could have been a year or longer. I just know from playing it, the demo isn't anywhere near the complexity of a full game and its still hitting sub 20s framerate. Struggling.
That’s precisely my point. I dont think they put this together with anywhere close to their full horsepower so I wouldnt be overly concerned abt the framerates

K2D

Banned
Nanite in and of itself is pretty interesting, but this as a tech demo seems pretty pointless for me without all the other bells and whistles, such as a proper facial animation rig, world clutter and (lol) framerate.

Maybe this is all feasible with PS6 and nextbox..

Nanite in and of itself is pretty interesting, but this as a tech demo seems pretty pointless for me without all the other bells and whistles, such as a proper facial animation rig, world clutter and (lol) framerate.

Maybe this is all feasible with PS6 and nextbox..
Think of the demo as a proof of concept and nothing more.

Compare this demo to how they built New York for Peter Jackson's King Kong:

The city generation was one software, and then traffic (the famous Massive software), lighting, atmospherics etc. were layers upon layers of additional technology. 16 years later all these features are neatly packaged in Unreal Engine.

I suppose the demo could render all this just fine if there was no disk size limit:

more than 90,000 buildings were created, which were constructed using 22 million component/cells, including 32,839 buildings for Queens, Brooklyn and New Jersey, and 51 landmark buildings (such as the Empire State Building), covering an area stretching more than 26 miles.

vs

• The city is 4,138 km wide and 4.968 km long, slightly larger than the size of downtown Los Angeles
  • The city surface is 15.79 km2
  • The city perimeter is 14.519 km long
  • There are 260 km of roads in the city
  • There are 512 km of sidewalk in the city
  • There are 1,248 intersections in the city
  • There are 45,073 parked cars, of which 38,146 are drivable and destructible
  • There are 17,000 simulated traffic vehicles on the road that are destructible
  • 7,000 buildings
  • 27,848 lamp posts on the street side only
  • 12,422 sewer holes
  • Almost 10 million unique and duplicated assets were created to make the city
  • The entire world is lit by only the sun, sky and emissive materials on meshes. No light sources were placed for the tens of thousands of street lights and headlights. In night mode, nearly all lighting comes from the millions of emissive building windows
  • 35,000 simulated MetaHuman pedestrians
  • Average polygon count? 7000k buildings made of 1000s of assets and each asset could be up to millions of polygons so we have several billions of polygons to make up just the buildings of the city

Hunnybun

Just been playing this on PS5 and.... I don't think looks that great, tbh.

It looks REALLY low res, for a start, like properly soft. Returnal is reconstructed from 1080p but even that looks much sharper than this.

One of the less impressive next gen games I've played if I'm honest.

hussar16

Graphicly looks greatd
but the image is so soft .I don't think these next gen games will look great if it's not in 4k. It looks like a 1080p movie

K2D

Banned
Think of the demo as a proof of concept and nothing more.
Exactly. Proof of concept for nanite as a technology, not as how games will look like this generation.

I have to turn off all expectations and look at this in the most sober way. I can't even get started to be hyped about this. Now, if they'd nail "in-game" facial animation, I'd be good on my way to being excited.

XXL

Exactly. Proof of concept for nanite as a technology, not as how games will look like this generation.

I have to turn off all expectations and look at this in the most sober way. I can't even get started to be hyped about this. Now, if they'd nail "in-game" facial animation, I'd be good on my way to being excited.
The games on PS4 easily surpassed the UE4 tech demos for PS4 though.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Matrix reloaded 2003

Matrix Unreal Engine Demo 2021

fCP9vIg.gif

It's amazing what you can do in a scripted scene. The mind boogles at how GTA online would look like with these graphics.

Your friend and mine The Xbox Tester put up this video:

He does the full demo on the XSS. I hope this puts to bed any notions and concern about what this $300 system is capable of. As Jason Ronald stated the system is designed to deliver the same experience at lower resolutions and that's what we have here. I'm pretty this isn't even on last gen consoles so that should finally answer the question if this system is more powerful than PS4 Pro, or X1X or the Switch. Good to finally have clarity.

There was some pop up in some buildings, but what do you expect its the series S. Its almost flawless on the series X and the PS5. I played in on the PS5 for 4 hours. Driving in the several cars was great and a lot of fun...

Last edited:

chonga

Just been playing this on PS5 and.... I don't think looks that great, tbh.

It looks REALLY low res, for a start, like properly soft. Returnal is reconstructed from 1080p but even that looks much sharper than this.

One of the less impressive next gen games I've played if I'm honest.
Yeah the softness is a bummer, I think it causes focus issues - though probably not helped by the city being so bland and monotonal.

The heavy artifacting in fast moving scenes is also really off-putting. That needs major improvement.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, I love the car physics. The chase sequence crashes weren't all scripted. The physics and destruction engine dont seem to be canned at all.

rQWb1Ow.gif

At first I thought my car rolling was impressive but then I noticed how the two parked cars react realistically to getting clipped as well. This is all so impressive.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nanite really is a game changer.
IMO the biggest game changer with this new engine.
Being able to inject basically full detail highpolys into the engine will make everything in games look a million times better basically from any distance.
It's a small fraction of "full detailed" models that are actually rendered.

But it's still a lot of polygons!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Man, I love the car physics. The chase sequence crashes weren't all scripted. The physics and destruction engine dont seem to be canned at all.

rQWb1Ow.gif

At first I thought my car rolling was impressive but then I noticed how the two parked cars react realistically to getting clipped as well. This is all so impressive.
The car bending and suspension work great. Dynamic damage model is impressive. Especially forn/back. Less on the sides.
But no particles and debris. And the car physics actually kinda bad. But I can;t stop playing. Its so good

Romulus

That’s precisely my point. I dont think they put this together with anywhere close to their full horsepower so I wouldnt be overly concerned abt the framerates

I'm sure a dev team could iron out some issues for sure, but you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing. There's a reason we don't see that level of detail in other open-world games. Spiderman is close in some instances, but that's from a pedigree developer without gunshot physics. There's no explosions or anything going on here in the open world.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the greatest fucking thing i have ever seen. I thought this was a bs interactive cutscene until they dropped you into a fully living breathing open world. I am done. I told you all photorealism was possible this gen!

@James Sawyer Ford

Makes you even more pissed that Sony is making God of War 2 and GT7 cross-gen huh?

luca_29_bg

"The final experience however is indicative of what is possible for a game, running on a PS5 or XBox Series X/S there is still a lot of CPU headroom that would allow a game designer to run the normal mechanics of a game. The team did not want to build a demo that was unrealistic for what a new AAA game would be able to achieve."

So it's possible to have full games like this, it will be very interesting to see who will accomplish this for first....

SlimySnake

The car bending and suspension work great. Dynamic damage model is impressive. Especially forn/back. Less on the sides.
But no particles and debris. And the car physics actually kinda bad. But I can;t stop playing. Its so good
lol yeah car handling is atrocious

Get a porsche and try ramming into people stopped a traffic light. You will throw them in the air and go right through them. Absolutely hilarious.

I did notice car windows breaking very realistically. Like next Gen version of tlou2. Very impressive.

If you go on the highway, the framerate completely tanks. Like 15 fps. I’ve never been happier to see the framerate dip so low. Its time we start making these GPUs sweat.

Stooky

This is what so many really dont get.

Having dual LG 27GP950s it makes it fairly easy to compare PS5/XSX (dont have a series s to do so) but for the average person with say a regular 4k 65" TV sitting 6' or so away from the couch if you changed the Series S out vs a Series X while they were out of the room most people would never be able to tell the difference

Its not until DF pauses a game and zoom in 400% counting trees int he back ground can most people see a difference

Since my son picked up a Series S I have been able to see this firsthand
maybe, its still too early in this generation to tell. For this demo they had their top devs working on it. Im thinking about other devs on other engines that might not have the backing to pull it off. After seeing this demo I'm interested in seeing engines directly designed to take advantage of the hardware and its specific features. With an engine that tightly aligned with hardware you are always able to squeeze out more performance, letting the hardware punch above its weight.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Yeah the softness is a bummer, I think it causes focus issues - though probably not helped by the city being so bland and monotonal.

The heavy artifacting in fast moving scenes is also really off-putting. That needs major improvement.

I don't even get WHY it looks so soft, though. I thought the native res was around 1440p or so? Other games with that base res generally look very sharp to me.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I wonder if corridor crew will do a video on this.

Im really curious how MCU budget Hollywood movie would look like on this, habing a while team and the massive group of teams using UE5 to do visual effects im sure they could get something very close to current ore rendered CGI.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

"The final experience however is indicative of what is possible for a game, running on a PS5 or XBox Series X/S there is still a lot of CPU headroom that would allow a game designer to run the normal mechanics of a game. The team did not want to build a demo that was unrealistic for what a new AAA game would be able to achieve."

So it's possible to have full games like this, it will be very interesting to see who will accomplish this for first....

That article says Keanu at the start is rendered in real-time... I thought for sure that part was video, it looks completely real to me. But I guess when they can throw all power at just a single model they can achieve this. Still, that's nuts.

Edit: No, later in the article it clearly says that part was filmed. The guys writing this article are confused. As are we all I guess.

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I have both consoles PS5 and Xbox Series X , maybe it just seems like that to me but my PS5 has much more stable Framerates.
Xbox Series X has streaming bottleneck or something, especially while driving Mode the Framerates are no stabile.

K2D

Banned

Let's hypothesize.. If GTA6 or a similar game were to use nanite for a ps5/xsx game, building everything around the level of realism in this game, meaning npc and player models that blend into this world (cause the current ones look really out of place), geometric and animation.. Add clutter and artifacts (dust, leafs and garbage blown by wind). Sound scape. Weather.. etc.

I'm not so much worried about textures, as I figure they can stream and cull at a moments notice..

But populating a scene with spectacle to match with the realism and still achieve the (at the very least) same performance.. I'd love to be proven wrong.

SlimySnake

I have both consoles PS5 and Xbox Series X , maybe it just seems like that to me but my PS5 has much more stable Framerates.
Xbox Series X has streaming bottleneck or something, especially while driving Mode the Framerates are no stabile.
Try restarting demo. Went from test mode into gameplay on ps5 and was getting bad drops.

On the ps5, the frame drops kick in when you crash into other cars and if you start going really fast.

I'm sure a dev team could iron out some issues for sure, but you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing. There's a reason we don't see that level of detail in other open-world games. Spiderman is close in some instances, but that's from a pedigree developer without gunshot physics. There's no explosions or anything going on here in the open world.
What open world games have we seen in Unreal 5?

Top Bottom