• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is up for PS5 and Xbox X/S

hevy007

Banned
Well, yeah... that's what's in the Matrix Awakens product description: "Get ready for a glimpse into the future of interactive storytelling and entertainment with UE5 in this free, boundary-pushing cinematic and real-time tech demo."

The main difference between The Matrix Awakens and something like Kara (or before that The Casting) or other tech demo showcases is that we're going to be getting it in our homes. Sometimes PC tech demos are released to the public (although sometimes "public" means the development community with access to the development engine editor,) but not always; consoles, we almost never get those early demos showing off hardware graphics/audio/FX features. We did get Killzone: Behind the Bullet (which seems to have been made in the Killzone 2 engine, but with a lot of modifications to make it its own thing; it's not just a KZ2 cutscene or something like that,) and the PS1 actually came with a demo disc of the T-Rex demo, but there's not much beyond that. (Super Rub-a-Dub didn't actually used the water tech of the PS3 Ducks, and on the Xbox side, the final Malice wasn't the same as the Xbox Hammer Girl demo.) It's a little weird to be getting a tech demo showing what next-gen power will look like a year after we've had the next-gen consoles (which is another difference between Matrix Awakens and typical tech demos people think of, although most of the demos I mentioned above were second-gen tech projects rather than pre-launch,) but us finally getting a UE5 showcase on actual hardware in our homes might still be a landmark experience, if they do this right.
The difference is you can do it right now...you can go and download the engine and do it all of that if you have the skills... right this instant. No need to guess pr play guessing games.

Romulus

We are having this convo based on your claim that "you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." when this was proven false.

The data is that Lumen is now using hardware accelerated RT, the fact is that Lumen is now using hardware accelerated RT. Whether it's 50% faster or 10% I couldn't say, but it's definitely faster, either are a lot"you can't just suddenly make all those reflections etc less taxing." false. But a lot of your reasoning is that "the devs are just lying" so forget about it. I'm sure they are lying everytime they say that they've made lumen more performant.

Their hardware RT now support about 10x more instances than it did at the release of EA

Yes, they do it all the time. People who aren't gamers are aware what tech demos are

Sure, this at locked 30fps plus combat sounds right.

You literally agreed that you can't suddenly make those taxations less expensive, but now you can? The conversation has never been about the improvement over time, it was how much to get a stable game at this level. You said GI made incredible gains in a year so why am I supposed to believe this now. Lumen better, ok. 10-50% more vague obtuse shit that doesn't relate to my challenge of your GI claim.(that you still refuse to address with specifics)
And apparently the progression isn't all that fast or over the course of this demos building(which took a long while) or we would see further progression. This thing is running at gta5 ps3 fps levels with alot elements missing, no mission structure, no combat. You have to build an action game around the max stress points, explosions+cars crashing+bodies ragdolling with bullets deflecting off everything. Its nowhere near that.
And why are we suddenly so trusting of devs? Lol like they don't say wild shit all the time.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The difference is you can do it right now...you can go and download the engine and do it all of that if you have the skills... right this instant. No need to guess pr play guessing games.

Right, that's what I was saying. (The original OP was talking about the PS3 Kara project by Quantic Dream and saying this was going to be that all over again... I wasn't sure if they were saying Kara was a vision of the future or was an unreliable demo promising too much compared to what actual games would deliver. But either way, this is here and people can see for themselves.)

Not sure if this is the "future of demos", but it would have been amazing if old demos were actually released. They'd be a gift to only a certain type of tech enthusiast (the rest of the gaming crowd gripes that they're just demos and real games are all that matter,) but I would have found it fascination to have PS3 Kara (even though parts of the scene did make it into Detroit Become Human) or PS4 Dark Sorcerer in your home. Or for instance, Bungie had the original Halo 2 demo working (it was just impossible to actually build a real game out of what they had and also they did levels differently ultimately, so they had to rewrite things,) and that would be a real history piece to have at home. Behind the Bullet or Document of MGS2 are no substitute to actually playing Killzone 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2 (and as monumental as it was, who wouldn't trade PT for actually getting Silent Hills if there were a choice?,) but for those who want to study them and understand them beyond the play experience, they're rare in the demoverse of tech samplers made for people

Matrix Awakens is a special release, not just because it's amazing, but because we can all keep it and anybody with these consoles can talk about it, it's not just a one-time-tradeshow special thing for press to tell you how cool it was to witness.

Last edited:

Lethal01

You literally agreed that you can't suddenly make those taxations less expensive, but now you can?
No I didn't, being able to make reflections less taxing is the first thing I said was possible.

Just from the work the coalition did .5ms was shaved off and again, Hardware tracing was previously 50% slower than software raytracing while being far less accurate and it's now faster than software.

I think the "matrix filter" is actually how colors look in real life and attribute to the realism.

Nah, it's how some media like to represent real life by making it look "gritty" and "serious", it looks like a crappy cars dashcam
Real life is far more vibrant and colorful

Last edited:

Larxia

I think the "matrix filter" is actually how colors look in real life and attribute to the realism.
In some movies, maybe, but in real life, really?
I think the demo looks a lot more realistic without the matrix filter, it really reduce the amount of colors and how good the lighting is. I've never seen a green filter like this in my real life.

hevy007

Banned
Right, that's what I was saying. (The original OP was talking about the PS3 Kara project by Quantic Dream and saying this was going to be that all over again... I wasn't sure if they were saying Kara was a vision of the future or was an unreliable demo promising too much compared to what actual games would deliver. But either way, this is here and people can see for themselves.)

Not sure if this is the "future of demos", but it would have been amazing if old demos were actually released. They'd be a gift to only a certain type of tech enthusiast (the rest of the gaming crowd gripes that they're just demos and real games are all that matter,) but I would have found it fascination to have PS3 Kara (even though parts of the scene did make it into Detroit Become Human) or PS4 Dark Sorcerer in your home. Or for instance, Bungie had the original Halo 2 demo working (it was just impossible to actually build a real game out of what they had and also they did levels differently ultimately, so they had to rewrite things,) and that would be a real history piece to have at home. Behind the Bullet or Document of MGS2 are no substitute to actually playing Killzone 2 or Metal Gear Solid 2 (and as monumental as it was, who wouldn't trade PT for actually getting Silent Hills if there were a choice?,) but for those who want to study them and understand them beyond the play experience, they're rare in the demoverse of tech samplers made for people

Matrix Awakens is a special release, not just because it's amazing, but because we can all keep it and anybody with these consoles can talk about it, it's not just a one-time-tradeshow special thing for press to tell you how cool it was to witness.
I doubt it, those engines aren't available to the public so putting a tech demo a serves little to no purpose. For Epic it gets people talking more importantly it gets people downloading. Unity will have demos, uniengine etc. PT was an interesting case but that was still more of a game demo than a tech demo.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No I didn't, being able to make reflections less taxing is the first thing I said was possible.

Just from the work the coalition did .5ms was shaved off and again, Hardware tracing was previously 50% slower than software raytracing while being far less accurate and it's now faster than software.

Nah, it's how some media like to represent real life by making it look "gritty" and "serious", it looks like a crappy cars dashcam
You’ve never been to Eastern Europe. What colour

In some movies, maybe, but in real life, really?
I think the demo looks a lot more realistic without the matrix filter, it really reduce the amount of colors and how good the lighting is. I've never seen a green filter like this in my real life.
No.

Lethal01

T

This video is literally what I was thinking of when I responded, this tells you in the first minute that it was trained on "mostly photos of german cities recorded with automotive cameras"

You’ve never been to Eastern Europe. What colour
there are definitely place that look dull but this takes it to an extreme and even affect interiors and the night.

Point is that making things green and dull isn't more "realistic" than being vibrant and colorful

Last edited:
T

This video is literally what I was thinking of when I responded, this tells you in the first minute that it was trained on "mostly photos of german cities recorded with automotive cameras"

there are definitely place that look dull but this takes it to an extreme and even affect interiors and the night.

Point is that making things green and dull isn't more "realistic" than being vibrant and colorful
But reality isn't that vibrant...colors don't look like a cartoon in reality...cartoons and video games are amplified.

Lethal01

But reality isn't that vibrant...colors don't look like a cartoon in reality...cartoons and video games are amplified.

unknown.png

The colors aren't "Cartoon" level of vibrancy. That is the level of saturation that is natural in reality. the matrix fillter's dullness is what's unrealistic.

Like I said it's a filter used to to make things look "serious" and "Gritty" when reality is far more colorful. It's what we use back in the ps3 generation to try to trick people into thinking the games looked realistic.

Last edited:
unknown.png

The colors aren't "Cartoon" level of vibrancy. That is the level of saturation that is natural in reality. the matrix fillter's dullness is what's unrealistic.

Like I said it's a filter used to to make things look "serious" and "Gritty" when reality is far more colorful. It's what we use back in the ps3 generation to try to trick people into thinking the games looked realistic.
Depends on alot of factors...alot of games don't have realistic saturation levels...I agree its not that dull but definitley not super vibrant. I also don't know the settings to capture this photo....

Lethal01

The point is reality isn't vibrant its more dull than not...

It's more colorful than not. That photo I sent is actually desaturated vs what it looks like in real life.

For the least, that demo looks realistic with the filter off and unrealistic with it on.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
I just replayed it.

The flying around made me think of the supposed Superman game that got cancelled. I think the tech is now there to pull it off with great effect.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Lol, I can't believe the transitions between real Keanu and cg/realtime Keanu like we shouldn't see a difference!

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

Meh. They knew we’d see the difference. I think they also knew that the package as a whole is pretty slick, is solid enough visually, and has a lot going on in that city compared to other games with a city.

I think that’s the point. They were saying that it’s a glimpse into what UE5 could do in cinematic storytelling as a demo. It wasn’t saying you can’t tell the difference between file capture and in-game characters.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ok, now that we’ve seen next gen games running... Do you guys think a 1060 will hold me for a couple years while running these games at 1080p at 30fps like... on medium? I currently have a 5600x and a Gen 3 nvme so that would be the only bottleneck

Lol, I can't believe the transitions between real Keanu and cg/realtime Keanu like we shouldn't see a difference!

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF
Well, obviously you can see the difference. Even in most (if not all) big budget Hollywood movies you can instantly notice a CG human (for example Starwars Rogue One) so it definitely won't be flawless in realtime.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, now that we’ve seen next gen games running... Do you guys think a 1060 will hold me for a couple years while running these games at 1080p at 30fps like... on medium? I currently have a 5600x and a Gen 3 nvme so that would be the only bottleneck

I don't think that card could handle this demo at playable framerates at all. If you want console-ish performance you're gonna need at least a 2070 or 2080.

Last edited:
Well, obviously you can see the difference. Even in most (if not all) big budget Hollywood movies you can instantly notice a CG human (for example Starwars Rogue One) so it definitely won't be flawless in realtime.

This. Even when you simulate the tiniest details (like how the muscles slide over bone structures and how the skin stretches), you will still be able to tell a fake face from a real one. We are so used to looking at human faces that we can instantly tell when something is 'off'.

Stuart360

At 30fps, of course. You have to remember that games will be releasing on XSS, and a 1060 and that cpu is more powerful.
I

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Meh. They knew we’d see the difference. I think they also knew that the package as a whole is pretty slick, is solid enough visually, and has a lot going on in that city compared to other games with a city.

I think that’s the point. They were saying that it’s a glimpse into what UE5 could do in cinematic storytelling as a demo. It wasn’t saying you can’t tell the difference between file capture and in-game characters.

Are you sure most people would be able to spot the difference?

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Finally took a look at this and as a tech demo and as a proof of concept it's astonishing. The geometric complexity, the asset quality and the draw distance is a complete generation apart. Clearly there's work to do here, but put me down as very impressed.

Highlights most of all what been needed some time and that's a fundamentally different approach to pipeline. Really looking forward to see what this can deliver going forward.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Matrix Unreal Engine 5 experience is impressing a lot of people so we thought we'd put the movies side-by-side with the films and see how they compare. The Matrix Awakens Experience is built using Unreal Engine 5 and some of the characters shown look almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne Moss appear and we've also added a few shots that were clearly inspired by scenes in the movies.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Here's a detailed look on Unreal Engine 5 showcase on all next-gen consoles - PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Combained with an evolution of Unreal Engine's Nanite and Lumen and MetaHuman tools.
I also included a comparison with real life shots to show how photorealistic UE5 footage can be.
Enjoy!

waquzy

I tried this last night. It looks impressive, but what’s up with driving physics, they are horrible. Crashes are very unrealistic as well, even worse than Cyberpunk.

Top Bottom