• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Matrix: Resurrections Trailer Shown at CinemaCon

ManaByte

If a movie has "Ressurection" within the title, it's going to be shit.
200.gif

I mean it sounds too weird to be true, but could have levels to it - like maybe his videogame was used by the machines for creating the actual matrix, he fucked up the matrix and essentially gave himself god powers so they reset him and are getting him to make a new one they have more control over or something. That's a shit plot but just an example, I expect ManaByte's friend is telling the truth, but not telling the whole story.
Both neo and Trinity died. They're either both programs in a new matrix, somehow their consciousness were saved, or..... That's all I got.

The Wachowski brothers are both mentally ill these days so it doesn't surprise me how trash this sounds. The Matrix was an amazing film (ideas ripped off from other material but still a great film) but the Wachowski brothers are clearly 1 hit wonders. Because they are 1 hit wonders, they'll continue to bleed The Matrix well dry.

xandaca

Both neo and Trinity died. They're either both programs in a new matrix, somehow their consciousness were saved, or..... That's all I got.

What I'm curious about is how this film squares the fact the sequels were specifically about Neo breaking the cycle of death and rebirth (machines insert humans in the Matrix > the One frees humans and creates Zion > human rebellion reaches a tipping point, the machines wipe out Zion population, the Matrix is rebooted and the One picks certain people to begin the rebellion all over again). If the One still exists in any capacity, it means Neo failed and the entire thematic basis of the sequels is invalidated. Considering that the most interesting parts of the sequels are its themes and symbolism (ideas great, execution... let's say, mixed), I'm hoping Lana Wachowski has thought up a way of continuing the story without kicking out the good stuff in its predecessors, whose conclusion seemed to leave no room for sequels.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
So I wondered about this. Did someone out of shot catch her ball then at the same time A.N Other drop a ball into the basket or did SW literally hit the basket first time or finally, I wonder how many takes?

Or is it CGI?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I think that's definitely a possibility with Neo, given that in Revolutions he was carried off on an altar by the Deus Ex Machina. I could see the machines preserving his body or at least his mind and replicating it to make some sort of "The One," program to take the function of the human who usually emerges with those powers and streamline it into something that is legitimately part of the system and under their control, in case any Smithesque things happen again and there's another system threatening anomaly.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So I wondered about this. Did someone out of shot catch her ball then at the same time A.N Other drop a ball into the basket or did SW literally hit the basket first time or finally, I wonder how many takes?

Or is it CGI?

I read that it was going to be CG, but in a freak twist of events, she actually made the shot first try, and they kept the take.

Star-Lord

The Wachowski brothers are both mentally ill these days so it doesn't surprise me how trash this sounds. The Matrix was an amazing film (ideas ripped off from other material but still a great film) but the Wachowski brothers are clearly 1 hit wonders. Because they are 1 hit wonders, they'll continue to bleed The Matrix well dry.
But V For Vendetta, man.

I think that's definitely a possibility with Neo, given that in Revolutions he was carried off on an altar by the Deus Ex Machina. I could see the machines preserving his body or at least his mind and replicating it to make some sort of "The One," program to take the function of the human who usually emerges with those powers and streamline it into something that is legitimately part of the system and under their control, in case any Smithesque things happen again and there's another system threatening anomaly.

Right, come to think of it, just because trinity is in it doesn't mean it's really her. They could have saved neos "mind" and she's a figment of his imagination of sorts. Or his memory is fragmented 🤷 guess we will see.

ManaByte

Director Jeunet wanted to display Ripley's new powers, including a scene in which Ripley throws a basketball through a hoop while facing the opposite direction. Weaver trained for ten days and averaged one out of six baskets, although the distance required for filming was farther than she had practiced. Jeunet was concerned about the time being spent on the shot and wanted to either use a machine to throw the ball or to insert it later using computer-generated imagery (CGI). Weaver, however, was determined to make the shot authentic, and insisted on doing it herself. The shot required many dozens of takes, during which none of the balls went in. The crew were going to give up, but gave Weaver one last shot, and in this take, she got the ball in perfectly (the idea that she did it in one take is a myth). The ball was out of frame for a moment during the shot, and Pitof offered to edit it so that the ball was on-screen for the entire scene, but Weaver refused. Ron Perlman broke character when she made the basket, and turned to the camera to say "Oh my god!" There was enough of a pause between Weaver's basket and Perlman's statement for the film's editors to cut the scene accordingly during post-production.[18]

Star-Lord

I'm still hoping John Wick ties into this.
If the film really is as meta as rumours suggest, then I can't see a logical reason why they couldn't introduce John Wick into the mix. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an alternate universe where Neo and Trinity survived and they somehow find themselves uploaded into the current universe, where John Wick is an Agent.

Mihos

Gold Member
Couldn't it just be another cycle, I mean the last movies was like the 6th cycle not including 2 that were unstable

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I was wondering if they were gonna go much deeper with the story, like Inception territory.

The idea that maybe "real life" is simply another level of the Matrix, within a Matrix. But I guess that would have been too insane, and maybe predictable. Hard to nail.

Last edited:

INC

So neo was hard jacked into the matrix at the end, makes sense he could return in a future version of the matrix.

xandaca

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding you, you just described exactly what The One already is: a program created and used by the Machines as part of their system of managing the human need for rebellion. It's exactly what the Architect's speech reveals to Neo (that he's not breaking the system, simply another part of it controlled by the Machines).

carlosrox

Banned

Or is it CGI?

It took dozens of takes and she missed every single one. She got it on the final take.

I read that it was going to be CG, but in a freak twist of events, she actually made the shot first try, and they kept the take.

It was one take, first take I believe.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Oh no, the trailer doesn't explain how batshit insane the movie is.

Thomas Anderson is a software engineer who made the hit Matrix Trilogy video games for Warner Brothers. Now it's years later and WB wants a fourth game from him.
This is beyond shitposting, right?

INC

Yeah but how did the machines deal with the freed Zion people unless they were forced back too.
They didn't, they said that this is has happened before, the one sacrifices himself to save the rest hooked up still, and allow the zionists to carry in living, how the matrix was written, we wouldnt entirely accept a matrix that didn't have tragedy and shit etc

Guess it was all part of the machines plan

Ulysses 31

They didn't, they said that this is has happened before, the one sacrifices himself to save the rest hooked up still, and allow the zionists to carry in living, how the matrix was written, we wouldnt entirely accept a matrix that didn't have tragedy and shit etc

Guess it was all part of the machines plan
Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, the architect said that in previous iterations Zion was destroyed and that the one had to choose people to rebuilt it. He also said that the machines got better at destroying it each time. There was no living on in Zion till Matrix Revolutions.

Doczu

Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, the architect said that in previous iterations Zion was destroyed and that the one had to choose people to rebuilt it. He also said that the machines got better at destroying it each time. There was no living on in Zion till Matrix Revolutions.
Yeah about that. Two things to consider:

- is Matrix Online canon? Because we know from it that the peace didn't last for long
- what about the (quite plausible) theory that the "real world" was another layer in the Matrix? It was hinted and Neo had his powers in it, while unplugged.

So what if the second war with the machines is going on in the background and the AI is fed up with it and want to create another Matrix for the humans, but they give.Neo the possibilty to design it.

That and the meta commentary on how the Wachowskis didn't want to make the sequel

Top Bottom