• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Gear series' legacy: The turning point.

MGS4 is the best. It's insane, crazy, over the top, tries to tie up a series which started in 1987, flawed, dramatic, melodramatic, everything and nothing. I play it once every year.

lquidj8pbs.gif

It's the most insane thing ever put to disc and is the perfect culmination to an already insane series. We'll never get a series like it nor something as batshit crazy as MGS4.

Kazuhira

I love all of them,period.
I wish V went out with a bang but what can i do about it? still clocked like 400hrs so i could say i have a good time with it.
Edit:nope,steam says 443hrs lol.

icespide

Banned
MGS4 is the best. It's insane, crazy, over the top, tries to tie up a series which started in 1987, flawed, dramatic, melodramatic, everything and nothing. I play it once every year.

lquidj8pbs.gif

It's the most insane thing ever put to disc and is the perfect culmination to an already insane series. We'll never get a series like it nor something as batshit crazy as MGS4.

man that whole sequence is amazing, its such a shame that the MGS theme from 1 and 2 isn't included for legal reasons

DrD

My ranking of the MGS games I've played is 2 > 3 > 1 > 4

Have yet to play V but I plan on playing it eventually. MGS2 feels like the most Kojima game in the series and the one I'd call his greatest masterpiece. I really enjoyed the crazy story and the fast paced stealth gameplay that improved on the first game.

Definitely 1+2 with 4 next for me,but nothing comes close to the 1st couple for myself.I didn't hate 5 but compared to what came before it,phew

MCD250

lquidj8pbs.gif

Yep and yep.

It's pure, decadent, self-indulgent excess in videogame form. I loved it.

Liquid ocelot is fucking stupid, its a good thing MGS2 was left open to whether or not it was VR.....................................................................................................................................................................Oh

I love MGS2, but its VR. MGS1-3 are amazing. only good game post 3 was PW

AudioEppa

I wasn't on, or knew about Gaf back then. I would have voted both times if I was.

There can be all the long worded essays giving reasons about any problems with MGS4 from the perspective of someone, or many who did not like it. At the end of the day and many years later it's still the best game in the series for me. It was a conclusion of many years being invested in it's crazy plot.

I didn't play the psp game or V. And I have no interest in doing so. Back in 08 everything wrapped up for me.

I fell in love with the series because of it's simple gameplay supporting a very cinematic storytelling. MGS4 ended the way I wanted. For almost 9 years there has been this on going debate. I personally feel like it's because certain people do not want this game to be praised because it highlights an aspect of game design they fear of becoming more normal with other games. The long cutscenes aka. A game being more like cinema. I've seen many people over the years give me shit by telling me to "go watch a movie instead" regarding my opinion on MGS4. Especially if I have no desire to play V. A game that gets praised for its gameplay, yet. That's not the reason I enjoyed playing the series.

MGS2 is my favorite as well. Monotonous appearance aside, every area of the Big Shell is a cleverly constructed "level." Every area you step in is made for gameplay first and everything else later. Even when you have to go back to previous areas they're often different, whether by enemy placement or traversal method. Not to mention that despite people thinking the Big Shell looks samey and boring, the level of interactivity with it at the time was unprecedented. It felt lived in and every object seemed precisely placed where it was. The way you could fuck with the soldiers was another highlight. Just extremely meticulous.
The same could be said for MGS1 as well for its time.

MGS3 and all the MGS games forward lost that. MGS3 has a lot of cool gimmicks, a great setting, good story and memorable bosses/characters. But it didn't take the big step forward from MGS2 that MGS2 took from MGS1. MGS3 was the last time Kojima seriously gave a fuck. Everything else after was an obligation. Not just for Konami, but for the fans.

All that being said, most developers wish they could make a game half as good s Kojima has made with his passionless efforts. MGS4 is still a pretty good game(and shitty anime) and MGS5 is a great game, but they just don't measure up to the potential. MGS5 for me is both a huge disappointment, but still a great game.
Id say the same about Destiny honestly.

Im confident in Death Stranding being Kojima's next real step forward after MGS2.

who died? Naomi and Eva, anyone else?

Eva, Para Medic, Wolf, Olga, Emma, Fortune, Naomi, the B&B unit, The Boss, Strangelove, Paz, Quiet (presumedly)... hell even Meryl died in MGS' B-ending, and was only confirmed alive when MGS4 came out.

I'm not trying to raise any point or anything, just noticed.

icespide

Banned
Eva, Para Medic, Wolf, Olga, Emma, Fortune, Naomi, the B&B unit, The Boss, Strangelove, Paz, Quiet (presumedly)... hell even Meryl died in MGS' B-ending, and was only confirmed alive when MGS4 came out.

I'm not trying to raise any point or anything, just noticed.

maybe I misunderstood your post, I thought you were specifically talking about females he killed in MGS4 only

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

lquidj8pbs.gif

Damn i really should buy a PS3 again just to finish 4 if only they could port it to PS4 😐

They are all fucking bonkers really. I played and enjoyed MGS1, 2, 3 and 4 but PW did nothing for me at all. Likewise I fell off MGS5 as it didn't have the same feel as 1-4 - there wasn't enough bonkers quite frankly. It could be that I just got older. MGS 1-4 are all worthy of praise and scorn I think but they are a seminal set of games.

Released

I liked it up until MGS4, which completely lost me lol. MGS2 is my favorite. Yeah it has plenty of stupid bullshit subplots typical of the series (Liquid Ocelot, Raiden and Rose's inane relationship chatter during a counter-terrorism mission, Otacon being estranged from his stepsister because he had an affair with her mother) that make me roll my eyes. But then you get to the end and damn. Its social and political commentary are on point, as well as its metacommentary on games themselves. So good.

Neptonic

2 is insane for what it did and everything it comments on (big data, the nature of sequels and expectations, etc.). 3 is the pinnacle of the series for it's blend of setting, tone, characters, narrative, and gameplay. 4 improves the gameplay of 3 but overcomplicates the story to try and tie up every loose end. And the post credits scene ruins the ending. Everything after 4 is hot trash from an overarching narrative perspective.

MGS2 and MGS3 are the peak of the series, for some reasons similar and some different, but they are excellent games.

The drop-off in quality from MGS3 to MGS4 is staggering. There's very little about that game that impressed me in any way. MGS4 is definitely the game I disagree with the masses the most on, out of any game. There are other games that I don't like, where I can at least see what others see in it and why people think it's great, but I've just never found MGS4 to be a good game at all. This is one that I'll just never understand.

3 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4. Storytelling in V is terrible, but it's a gameplay showpiece that got me to sink close to 300 hours into it.

They're all good games. I mean they're pretty much all good, some are great i guess merit of some really strong execution.

But 2 is on a different level.

lquidj8pbs.gif

I'll always be salty that the game didn't end the way Kojima wanted it to. That would've been ballsy as hell, but also appropriate.

I think 3 was the best narratively but 4 had my favorite moments. And V is amazing too. 2 was definitely not the pinnacle of the series.

I blame MGS2 for MGS4 outcome. :p

The story semented by 2 was ridiculous, how can you fix that? That's why 3 is fantastic, it's a prequel.

Seriously, I find MGS2 a really boring game while having one if not the best level in the entire franchise, The Tanker, and I think Raiden is just a minor problem in MGS2.

Edit: 4 made me really angry tho...

http://abload.de/img/lquidj8pbs.gif

Exactly, MGS4 is the most ridiculous game ever made.
I don't even think there is a 1% chance we will ever see another like it.

Saladinoo

To an extent, Metal Gear Solid 4 is timeless in terms of its frankly magnificent presentation: From the channel flicking at the start, to the seamless cutscene to gameplay transitions, to the press triangle to flashback, to the amazing set pieces (Fighting in a metal gear and that final fight hoooooly shit). The things it did were absolutely insane back in its day, and it does not get enough credit for that.

The issue with MGS4 is that the writing is mostly trash. MGS2 is probably my favourite game of all time, and it ended perfectly. It was bold to continue that story, and although I feel it could have been possible, they just hammed it up by trying to explain absolutely everything, which resulted in everything being put down to nanomachines.

Timeaisis

MGS3 is the best one, and it's because Kojima didn't feel chained to the lore of the series, and he could just go back in time and tell a completely different story. With 4, there's so much shit to tie up from the first 3, it was bound to be confusing. But I think they did a great job, considering. It's probably the weakest in the original quadrilogy, but it's still a fantastic game. Also, it's the most ridiculous. Which is fun.

3 > 2 = 1 > 4 if we are ranking.

V is a spin-off for me. Same with PW.

I'll always be salty that the game didn't end the way Kojima wanted it to. That would've been ballsy as hell, but also appropriate.

Which was...?
Snake killing himself?

Cyanity

Banned
MGS 3 > MGS 2 > MGS 1 > MGS 5 > MGS 4

And yet they're all amazing games.

Also Metal Gear Rising is probably the most fun you can have in the Metal Gear universe.

2 is absolutely incredible. 4, not as good, but an amazing love letter to series vets. Ground Zeros and what followed after are not a turning point, so much as an irredeemable dumpster fire that only serve to highlight how great 1-4 were.

After 3 it was all downhill for this fan. My dislike of 2 was a sign, but 3 convinced me that that whole thing must've been some kind of fluke.

Then the flurry of shitty PSP games and MGS4 came to destroy and shred any care I ever had for anything in the series. Awful writing that retroactively made what came before it worse ala Spiderman 3. Even Silent Hill Homecoming can't tarnish Silent Hill 3 for me but Kojima's embrace of his own material is probably what makes it worse.

MGR made me care again, briefly, but not for its Metal Gearness. I just stick to playing MGS1 and 3 and it's all good in this hood, sometimes jump into the NES adventures for le kicks.

Which was...?
Snake killing himself?

As ShinoguTakeruKoeru mentioned,
Snake and Otacon were supposed to be executed for war crimes. This is made more obvious by the inclusion of "Here's to You" as the ending theme. That song was originally written for two Italian anarchists who were wrongfully executed. Apparently some KojiPro staffers objected to the ending because they found it to be too depressing. So, that lead to the ending that we saw in the final game.

IrishNinja

i feel bad that 4 had the onus of trying to tie together literal decades of lore (fuck, it came with a digital encyclopedia) but even then, it did so laughably bad and firmly established big boss as the more compelling character. i mean, 4 had a few interesting gameplay sections - some held back by the hardware, but that's forever been the case with this series - but while it can be argued there likely wasn't a great way to tie up the overarching plot, this one did so in such a way that i was kinda done with Solid Snake. established characters were thrown right out the window, seemingly without much thought, and the gaping plotholes were made worse by a story not interesting enough for me to overlook them.

5's ending had some high-tier kojima fuckery, no doubt, but after the majesty that was 3, i just think 4 really messed things up in such a way that playing Raiden without all that bullshit was especially refreshing.

MGS 3 > MGS 2 > MGS 1 > MGS 5 > MGS 4

And yet they're all amazing games.

Also Metal Gear Rising is probably the most fun you can have in the Metal Gear universe.

this is a pretty good list, i need some more time away from V to see where i'd rank it overall but yeah

Roufianos

What a series. I absolutely love it and it's probably my favourite piece of fiction.

Such a bummer that it's over and that it went out on such a weak note. If V had been the game that it was advertised as then at least we could have got some closure to the Big Boss storyline.

I1. Hideo Kojima being held creatively hostage for far too much time. He probably needed (wanted!) to pass the torch after MGS2. (No place for Hideo!)

This is fucking hilarious to read when the reality is most of the franchise's jump the shark moments came as a result of Kojima being allowed to whatever the fuck he want, take however the fuck long he wanted, and spend how ever much money he wanted.

Most of Kojima's best work came when he also had the most constraints put on him.

MGS1-3 have a feel in common.

MGS4 fees like it's own thing

MGS5 feels like it's super very own thing

2 is the one that I learn more about every time I replay it though. A beautifully layered piece of media like The Matrix.

JackelZXA

One of the lead writers for MGS2 and 3 (who also worked on 1) left konami after the PS2 era, leaving Kojima a director without a strong second writer to fall back on to do the heavy lifting. This is why MGS4, V, and PW feel so different to 1 2 and 3.

This is fucking hilarious to read when the reality is most of the franchise's jump the shark moments came as a result of Kojima being allowed to whatever the fuck he want, take however the fuck long he wanted, and spend how ever much money he wanted.

Most of Kojima's best work came when he also had the most constraints put on him.

To be fair, he was given the freedom to work on a series that he really didn't want to work on anymore. He'd tried multiple times to hand the series off to other staff sot hat he could make different games and was never able to successfully do it. Even the KojiPro developed Rising eventually fell through.

One of the lead writers for MGS2 and 3 (who also worked on 1) left konami after the PS2 era, leaving Kojima a director without a strong second writer to fall back on to do the heavy lifting. This is why MGS4, V, and PW feel so different to 1 2 and 3.

Stop it!

Ratrat

MGS2 is restrained in what way?

Top Bottom