• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF has a metal thread? My mind = blown....

Every time I see a music thread pop up in OT, I'm always so disappointed when I open it.

Umm, I'll just skip straight to it.

Bloodbath - Unblessing the Purity
800x600.jpg

What I'm currently listening to.

I've been waiting for this, and I'm really loving it. Losing Swano probably hurt things a little bit, but Akerfeldt back on vocals is just awesome, and he sounds great. Anyone else get the chance to listen to it yet?

Also, I saw talk of Devin above. Yes.

I know it's only March, but what's everyones favorite release so far this year? I would say mine is definitely Eluveitie - Slania.

VOMIT said:
The only death metal albums that i really love are Demilich's Nespithe and Intestine Baalism- Banquet in the Darkness.

you sir have good taste.
Not my favorite album's, but damn good ones for sure.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wow, I need to check the OT more often, didn't realize this thread was here. Glad to see mentions of a lot of my favorites, Alcest and Devin Townsend being the biggest. I, too, am grooving on the latest from Lair of the Minotaur, though I like the previous album better I think.

I'm very much a fan of doom/stoner/sludge over all, stuff like this right here:

The Deep Blue

and

Leather Nun

If you like what you hear there, check out the likes of Bongzilla, Electric Wizard, Weedeater, SunnO))), Clutch, Sons of Otis, Black Cobra, the list goes on. Currently my favorite album is "The Coast Explodes" by Mammatus, which is just incredible and gets lots of play on my ipod.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I got tickets for Iron Maiden in May. And tickets for Gigantour in April. I cant wait!

Therion = awesome.

Opeth - Still Life, re-listening to this masterpiece.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I'm seeing Baroness in a couple weeks! Genghis Tron is playing too (though their newest release is way ridiculously hipster and watered-down). Unfortunately Baroness is opening for... the Red Chord (they shoulda quit after Fused Together in Revolving Doors).

Fireblend

Banned
captive said:
I got tickets for Iron Maiden in May. And tickets for Gigantour in April. I cant wait!
Iron Maiden was here in Costa Rica last month and the show was fucking amazing. I was in line since the day before and it was absolutely worth it; they're as brilliant as they've ever been.

Anyway, I'm also into progressive metal so you guys might not be interested, but if it's your thing (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension, Ayreon, Some Devin Townsend, Tool etc...) I just got Frost*'s album "Milliontown" and was absolutely blown away; seriously recommended. This is severely underrated stuff; apparently they've got a new album coming this year as well and now I can't wait.

I thought since people were talking abut the tour, you might dig these:

edforce1copy22small.jpg

edforce1copy5small.jpg

edforce1copy4small.jpg

In case you did not know, Bruce is flying everyone around himself this round. I don't doubt he has some help but he goes above and beyond... literally!

Edit: Taken at Newark Airport in New Jersey

new Arghoslent album came out last week "Hornets Of The Pogrom":
Hornets%20small.JPG

as expected, absolutely awesome. Equally as good as any of their previous releases.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ugh, so are the east coast tour dates on Maiden's website the final list. I want to go but I'd have to fly to a show or drive awhile. Soooo jealous.

Masenkame

Giant Robot said:
Hornets%20small.JPG

as expected, absolutely awesome. Equally as good as any of their previous releases.
I was just listening to this. It is a great album, as always by these guys.

Outpost #31

HitokiriNate85 said:
800x600.jpg

What I'm currently listening to.

I've been waiting for this, and I'm really loving it. Losing Swano probably hurt things a little bit, but Akerfeldt back on vocals is just awesome, and he sounds great. Anyone else get the chance to listen to it yet?

Same here,been waiting almost an eternity for this.
IT FUCKING ROCKS!

Can't wait for this sucker right here :
CDVILEF241X__Bloodbath_260.jpg
The cd/dvd set of their performance at wacken 2005.
May 19th can't come here soon enough.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Giant Robot said:
Hornets%20small.JPG

Hell fucking yes, this is bad ass, listening to it now.

That Bloodbath album cover is epic.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
cd_amon%20amarth_%20oden_g.jpg

They've been mentioned in this thread several times already, but I just fired this up again this morning and am once again blow away by Amon Amarth. Seriously one of the best metal albums of the last decade. I think what impresses me most is the drumming. These guys have one of the best drummers ever, and don't even get me started on the riffs.

Amon Amarth. Real. Fucking. Metal.

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
Avantasia_TheScarecrow300.jpg

The new Avantasia album is pretty good. Metal Opera Part II is still the best album by them, with this new one coming in 2nd.

Best tracks imo:

The Scarecrow
Carry Me Over
Another Angel Down
Lost In Space

The EP's that were released a couple months before this album are very good as well.

avantasia.jpg

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
SofaKing said:
The new Avantasia album is pretty good. Metal Opera Part II is still the best album by them, with this new one coming in 2nd.

Best tracks imo:

The Scarecrow
Carry Me Over
Another Angel Down
Lost In Space

Ok, this is some awesome stuff! I'd listened to the Metal Opera I & II in the past, but it had been a while. The production on this latest effort is off the charts good. The riffs are epic, the drumming awesome, and the vocals... man that dude can wail. Reminds me of Geoff Tate of Queensryche... Thanks for the recommend, I'll be listening to this a lot.

Outlaw

Banned
Big Nate said:
cd_amon%20amarth_%20oden_g.jpg

They've been mentioned in this thread several times already, but I just fired this up again this morning and am once again blow away by Amon Amarth. Seriously one of the best metal albums of the last decade.

Amon Amarth. Real. Fucking. Metal.

Yes, yes it is. Have you seen them live? FUCKING AWESOME!!!

amon.jpg

**Pic I took when they played here in Houston back in November 07.**

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
SofaKing said:
Avantasia_TheScarecrow300.jpg

Best tracks imo:

The Scarecrow
Carry Me Over
Another Angel Down
Lost In Space

The EP's that were released a couple months before this album are very good as well.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/Hennett/avantasia.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I actually just bought this the other day on a whim when getting R6v2. Had no idea was a new album. Found them on Pandora via inputting nightwish/therion into pandora.
Havent had a chance to play it yet though.

Also picked up Hammerfalls best hits, Lacuna Coil - in a Reverie, and Angra - Temple of Shadows.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Feel bad taking this from Phobo because he told me, and he likes the band way more than me (not that I'm not a fan, but Giant Robot, the new Torche's out.

=]

Someone please point me in the right direction! I recently started listening to Lamb of God and I fell in love instantly. From New American Gospel to Sacrament. There are so many kinds of metal that it makes my head hurt. If anyone can show me the next step I should take into the metal universe I would appreciate it.

Axalon

captive said:
Old hat and everyone and their brother, mom, dad and grandchildren know Black Sabbath.
Yeah, but it needed a thread presence. It's like, it wouldn't be complete without, you know? :D

Phobophile

SnakeXs said:
Feel bad taking this from Phobo because he told me, and he likes the band way more than me (not that I'm not a fan, but Giant Robot, the new Torche's out.

=]

Yeah and it's SOOOOO fucking awesome

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Outlaw said:

metal my ass.
Amon Amarth suck norse balls live and in studio.

Behemoth > Amon Amarth

ComeBackTime said:
Someone please point me in the right direction! I recently started listening to Lamb of God and I fell in love instantly. From New American Gospel to Sacrament. There are so many kinds of metal that it makes my head hurt. If anyone can show me the next step I should take into the metal universe I would appreciate it.

Manowar

ComeBackTime said:

How new are you, btw? Because if Lamb is your style the obvious next bands for you are Pantera and Exhorder.

Doomsayer

HitokiriNate85 said:

Yes, that EP is so good. I finally got around to listening to it today and I didn't want to stop. So good.

Opeth is also releasing Watershed this year, such a good year for metal. :D

Phobophile

183479e4982.jpg

This is my first Belphegor album and it's fucking sweet. For fans of blackened death-era Behemoth (pre-second sell out) and any other black/death bands.

Aske

Outlaw said:

So true. Most Amon Amarth fans seem to prefer their older material, but as far as I'm concerned With Oden on Our Side is their strongest release. But I can't discuss Viking metal without mentioning Graveland. As far as my tastes are concerned, nothing comes close to these two albums.

Fire Chariot of Destruction
20080325-d37ajm4jc493pmq7m7q815a252.jpg

Creed of Iron
20080325-c4t6cjt8a2teutaquxb13uw1at.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iFz-Nan62MM

NameGenerated said:
Ugh, so are the east coast tour dates on Maiden's website the final list. I want to go but I'd have to fly to a show or drive awhile. Soooo jealous.

:O I checked their tour dates, and their playing in MD in June. I live in Maryland :D, so I gotta go.

Cheech

sub_zer0 said:

We wear jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes!

Got my Maiden tickets for Chicago. Woot.

New In Flames out next week, I've only heard the first single and it's "ok". These guys have been gradually going downhill since Colony IMO.

Cheech

Amon37 said:

I have a soft spot for Colony because the US release has "Man Made God" on it which is really a thinly veiled Maiden tribute and rocks pretty damn hard. Around the 2:30 minute mark the guitars all go into this mad gallop and it's a "crank it to 11" piece.

Jester Race through Colony, I have listened to those albums literally hundreds of times. Clayman is OK too, but shit really starts going downhill from there.

I saw them in concert a couple times, and their Ozzfest show was pretty good. They played a club where I live as well, and they played literally maybe 3 songs from the four "core" albums I listed above. Huge disappointment. Still, they're one of my more recent favorite bands. Most of the other shit I listen to was recorded in the 70s and 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom