• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Did anyone already recommend Wintersun?

If not:
Listen to this people!

2197415.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5OZDHUUQcg
Worth every penny!

El_Victor

Outlaw said:
Amon Amarth are not melodic death. They are Viking metal and you have horrible taste if you don't like them.
I do like them, not just as much as many others. Besides, this is what the vocalist said;
We play death metal. We write about Vikings so therefore some refer us to Viking metal, but I have no idea what that is. I can't imagine the Viking’s [sic] veer into metal at all except on the swords and stuff. And musically, I guess they only played these strange lip instruments and some bongos or whatever.

Flynn

Nobody's been mentioning it so here's Decibel's best of 2007. There's lots of non-metal in there, but I want to see what some of the more devoted metal heads think of the list:

40 - Grave In The Sky - Cutlery Hits China: English For The Hearing Impaired
39 - Trap Them - Sleepwell Deconstructer
38 - Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
37 - Year of No Light - Nord
36 - Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
35 - Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
34 - Torche - In Return
33 - Between the Buried and Me - Colors
32 - Evoken - A Caress Of The Void
31 - Destroyer Destroyer - Littered With Arrows
30 - Down - III: Over The Under
29 - Engineer - The Dregs
28 - Rwake - Voice Of Omens
27 - Architect - All Is Not Lost
26 - Obliteration - Perpetual Decay
25 - Dax Riggs - We Sing Of Only Blood Or Love
24 - Big Business - Here Come The Waterworks
23 - Rosetta - Wake/Lift
22 - Magrudergrind - Rehashed
21 - Machine Head - The Blackening
20 - Caina - Mourner
19 - Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
18 - The End - Elementary
17 - Melt-Banana - Bambi's Dilemma
16 - Graf Orlock - Destination Time Tomorrow
15 - Bergraven - Dodsvisioner
14 - Moonsorrow - Viides Luku/Havitetty
13 - Pelican - City Of Echoes
12 - The Red Chord - Prey For Eyes
11 - Deathspell Omega - Fas-ite Maledicti In Ignem Aeternum
10 - A Life Once Lost - Iron Gag
09 - High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
08 - Portal - Outre
07 - Witchcraft - The Alchemist
06 - Neurosis - Given To The Rising
05 - Baroness - The Red Album
04 - Jesu - Conqueror
03 - The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
02 - Watain - Sworn To The Dark
01 - Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb

List @ Last FM

Right off the bat I got into Electric Wizard thanks to this list.

Guy

Anyone know what's going on in the avantgarde scene these days? Now that Arcturus are gone I guess we need some new blood. I know bands like Unexpect, Age of Silence, Winds, Diablo Swing Orchestra but I'm talking more about new bands that we really did not hear about already...

Outlaw

Banned
El_Victor said:
I do like them, not just as much as many others. Besides, this is what the vocalist said;
We play death metal. We write about Vikings so therefore some refer us to Viking metal, but I have no idea what that is. I can't imagine the Viking’s [sic] veer into metal at all except on the swords and stuff. And musically, I guess they only played these strange lip instruments and some bongos or whatever.

Viking metal is a term used in reference to heavy metal music with a dramatic emphasis on Norse mythology, Norse paganism, and the life and times of Northern and Central Europeans prior to the Christianization of Scandinavia. It is still debated whether or not Viking metal can be considered a stand alone "genre", or merely an ideological off-shoot of other genres, as the influence of style being played varies among artists. Bands associated with Viking metal cover a broad range of musical genres and influences, such as folk metal, thrash metal, death metal, black metal and power metal.

Ravager61

Matt Barlow is back in Iced Earth!!!!1

Jon Schaffer said:
Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

"While out on the European tour I had several in depth discussions with many loyal ICED EARTH fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in ICED EARTH's history.

"When I heard several months ago that Matt [Barlow] was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

"Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to ICED EARTH and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

"Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the 'Something Wicked' concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of ICED EARTH shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

"I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

"You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for ICED EARTH. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

"Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

"There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

"I am very happy to announce that ICED EARTH is truly BACK!"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86574

Fucking awesome.

Eric P

so i'm doing more exploring and i think the genres i like most so far are doom and folk.

black/death/sludge and the like don't really capture my fancy

Eric P

Ravager61 said:
What folk bands are you into?

ulver's first albums, turisas, finntroll, and evulite. i'm going to get tickets to see Ensiferum, Turisas, Tyr and Eluveitie perform at the end of april.

it should be a good time

do you have more suggestions?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Eric P said:
black/death/sludge and the like don't really capture my fancy

Well you're pretty much my least favorite person ever.

Barnolde said:
After a long 'Sigh' stint, I focused on the other awesome Japanese band in my library.

0803341126527.jpg

Banquet in the Darkness from Intestine Baalism is exemplary.

Might as well listen to some Dismember since IB's pretty much the same band but with that obligatory arena rock influence found in all J-music.

Ravager61

Eric P said:
ulver's first albums, turisas, finntroll, and evulite. i'm going to get tickets to see Ensiferum, Turisas, Tyr and Eluveitie perform at the end of april.

it should be a good time

do you have more suggestions?

Of course I do.

Korpiklaani is one of my favorite folk bands. Similar to Finntroll but I like Korpiklaani better. Tales Along this Road is my favorite album.

Borknagar is awesome as well. Most of their albums are similar to Ulver's first album, but they also have a more mellow album called Origins. Great stuff.

Ill also throw out a recommendation for Vintersorg as well. Till Fjells and their new album Solens Rötter are really good. Kinda similar to Borknagar. Their lyrics are not in english but dont let that turn you off.

Lastly, while they arent technically a folk band, you should still check out Summoning. Its epic, atmospheric stuff based mostly on the Lord of the Rings.

Eric P

Ravager61 said:
Of course I do.

Korpiklaani is one of my favorite folk bands. Similar to Finntroll but I like Korpiklaani better. Tales Along this Road is my favorite album.

Borknagar is awesome as well. Most of their albums are similar to Ulver's first album, but they also have a more mellow album called Origins. Great stuff.

Ill also throw out a recommendation for Vintersorg as well. Till Fjells and their new album Solens Rötter are really good. Kinda similar to Borknagar. Their lyrics are not in english but dont let that turn you off.

Lastly, while they arent technically a folk band, you should still check out Summoning. Its epic, atmospheric stuff based mostly on the Lord of the Rings.

thanks. i'm still pretty new to all of this so any suggestions are great

Phobophile

yacobod said:
lol so paul stanley is rejoining iced earth

They've been rehashing the same riffs since Burnt Offerings so the only thing Barlow will bring back to the table is a sense of nostalgia.

yacobod

Banned
Phobophile said:
They've been rehashing the same riffs since Burnt Offerings so the only thing Barlow will bring back to the table is a sense of nostalgia.

only thing worse than iced earth's rehashed riffs are their ballads lol

i remember when a friend tried to turn me onto them like 5-6 years ago, yuck

although dante's inferno is cool

Falch

Been listening a lot to Black For Fire: An Islandic Odyssey Part II by Solefald. Epic black prog metal. Also, check out part one: Red For Fire.

h08473tjqej.jpg
i03142lz627.jpg

Ravager61

Phobophile said:

yacobod said:
only thing worse than iced earth's rehashed riffs are their ballads lol

i remember when a friend tried to turn me onto them like 5-6 years ago, yuck

although dante's inferno is cool

I hate you both so much right now.

glad to see a lot of awesome metal in here.
I'm a huge metal nerd with a boner for CARCASS and Iron Maiden. Observe:
carcass.jpg

original Reek of Putrefaction on vinyl (not the re-release), Symphonies of Sickness Picture disc. Thats not including cassettes and VHS's either.

IMG_9616.jpg

and shirts that will never ever leave my closet.

but yea, huge fan of earlier death metal/grindcore, especially from old Earache/Relapse/Nuclear Blast/Peaceville days.
Dismember, Entombed, General Surgery, Pestilence, Master, Asphyx, Atheist, Carnage, Godflesh, Repulsion, Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Terrorizer, Autopsy etc etc. Fans will know similar tastes to me.

and then also a huge thrash metal fan.
Vio-Lence, Dark Angel, Forbidden, Testament, Death Angel, Exodus, Sodom, Toxik, Razor, Rigor Mortis, Demolition Hammer, etc...

Right now im on a huge JESU and Pelican kick right now. I can't get over how fucking perfect Pelican is. Fucking FLAWLESS. Also been listening to a lot of Floor, Indian, and Toadliquor

Pelican.jpg

seriously, perfect fucking album. BUY IT!

B00076NYPK.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and anything Justin Broadrick touches turns to fucking gold. I got to meet him recently!
BUY IT!

Joe said:
any thrash or speed metal recommendations? no 80's or early 90's stuff please unless its really good.

I'm gonna come out and say thrash pretty much died in the early 90's. All your essential thrash are from the 80's:
Vio-Lence
Artillery
Atrophy
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Testament
Metallica
Rigor Mortis
Dark Angel
Slayer
Megadeth
Sabbat
Morbid Saint
Razor
Sadus
Tankard

there are a couple standout thrash bands post 90's, but i think the most significant and short lived for me was HYPNOSIA
hypnosia.jpg

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What has everyone been listening to lately? Some stuff thats been on my rotation.

The Scourger - thrashy melodic death metal
Protest the Hero - Fortress is great and I finally bought Kezia
Zimmers Hole - The new album is cool. It's the first thing I've heard from them.

Phobophile

sazabirules said:
What has everyone been listening to lately? Some stuff thats been on my rotation.

The Scourger - thrashy melodic death metal
Protest the Hero - Fortress is great and I finally bought Kezia
Zimmers Hole - The new album is cool. It's the first thing I've heard from them.

Dismember - Dismember
Abominable Putridity - In the End of Human Existence
Boris - Smile
Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

Just some new/recent releases I've been spinning recently.

Maggot9

Banned
NameGenerated said:
I just recently got into Amon Amarth, they are all kinds of awesome. Here's my last.fm profile if anybody wants to add me as a friend or just look.

http://www.last.fm/user/NameGenerated/
They've been my favourite band for years. They're currently writing a new album which I absolutely cannot wait for, and they also just renewed their contract deal with Metalblade for 3 more records.

Here's me and Johan H. from a while back. (Wish I didn't try to look remotely menacing. :( )
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Maggot9_bucket/CA0JKV2P.jpg

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Maggot9 said:
They've been my favourite band for years. They're currently writing a new album which I absolutely cannot wait for, and they also just renewed their contract deal with Metalblade for 3 more records.

Here's me and Johan H. from a while back. (Wish I didn't try to look remotely menacing. :( )
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x88/Maggot9_bucket/CA0JKV2P.jpg
Wow that's awesome, Johan looks like he is about to come out of my monitor and kill me D:

BTW here is a recent update from the Wintersun forums.
Hey everyone, sad news for sure from Jari, but the petition idea was a good one and I wrote up an intro to it. Proofreading by any of you is helpful. Or if one of you already started one, let me know where I can sign up. Thanks!!!

"Wintersun is a Finnish heavy metal band whose lyrics are thoughtful and whose music is creative and impeccable. They released a self-titled debut album in 2004. Check it out on amazon.com, and their website, wintermadness.net. They have been in the process of getting their sophomore album, entitled "Time", released. They've had some trouble financially, as this album is reported to be quite complex and requires sophisticated computers and recording equipment. If you can help out, please do. It will be worth your time and effort. What is needed is approximately $6000."
In case anyone wants to help them out :p
http://www.wintermadness.net/messag...&start=0&sid=2876ed4f02e819364a78b2896c9031a6

Phobophile said:
Dismember - Dismember
Abominable Putridity - In the End of Human Existence
Boris - Smile
Averse Sefira - Advent Parallax

Just some new/recent releases I've been spinning recently.

New Boris is just....bizarre (particularly the first half of it). And goddamn it Boris, enough of this sludge garage rock stuff, i want a proper follow up to the drone doom awesomeness that was Amplifier Worship.

My rotations mainly consist of a lot of Helloween, considering im seeing them in 2 weeks (even if Kiske left them what, 18-something years ago along with a regular lineup shuffle)

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just started listening to the new Mercenary album, Architect Of Lies and I'm already starting to like it more than the last one. It wasn't as good as Everblack and 11 Dreams.

Ravager61

mithras-beyondsmall.jpg

Mithras - Behind the Shadows Lie Madness

Ive been listening to this album a lot lately. Really atmospheric death metal. They remind me of later era Morbid Angel.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Maybe the new Avantasia album sucks less than I think it do, but writing a Celine Dion song and throwing it right in the middle of a CD by the same guy that made The Metal Opera is kinda disheartening.

On a second listen I've just tossed it. Going to listen to Metal Opera.

The Toy Master :lol

Baker

Banned
This is probably the most late "news" ever, but if you head over to http://www.megaforcerecords.com/sodfreedvd/, you can get SOD's Live at the Fenix DVD for free ($3 shipping).

The indie record store sold me:

SOD - Rise of the Infidels
Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
Entombed - Serpent Saints
Leng Tch'e - Marasmus

for $40 today. I was happy.

fallout

Baker said:
The indie record store sold me:

SOD - Rise of the Infidels
Opeth - The Roundhouse Tapes
Entombed - Serpent Saints
Leng Tch'e - Marasmus

for $40 today. I was happy.
I love that album, if only because you get to hear how laid back Åkerfeldt is on stage. They're really relaxed, but they're entirely tight and spot on when it comes to the music. It's my favourite combination in a live act.

sub_zer0 said:
And goddamn it Boris, enough of this sludge garage rock stuff, i want a proper follow up to the drone doom awesomeness that was Amplifier Worship.

YES PLEASE.

been droning out to OM lately.

and also can't wait for the new Arghoslent album coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom