• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

YYZ

Anyone know of any bands like 3 Inches of Blood without the metalcore influence? Basically, keep the vocals of Cam Pipes and subtract the other stuff :D

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
YYZ said:
Anyone know of any bands like 3 Inches of Blood without the metalcore influence? Basically, keep the vocals of Cam Pipes and subtract the other stuff :D

What I'm really thinking is "every other power metal band ever" but I'm going to recommend you Lost Horizon = A Flame to the Ground Beneath.

YYZ

Phobophile said:
What I'm really thinking is "every other power metal band ever" but I'm going to recommend you Lost Horizon = A Flame to the Ground Beneath.
well it's not quite the same as typical power metal vocals. But wow, I can't believe I didn't listen to Lost Horizon before, Swedish FTW. Everything I love in metal.

Phobophile

YYZ said:
well it's not quite the same as typical power metal vocals. But wow, I can't believe I didn't listen to Lost Horizon before, Swedish FTW. Everything I love in metal.

Seriously, check it out. I'm not a huge power metal fan anymore, but that band still makes me wet.

Steering away from power metal for a bit.....

Inthenightsideeclipseemperor.jpg

After rediscovering this album, where does one go from here when trying to find atmospheric Black Metal with symphonic influences?
The only albums i managed to find similiar to 'In The Nightside Eclipse', was Marduk's Nightwing and Anorexia Nervosa's Drudenhaus. Both of which are great, especially Nightwing as no keyboards/orchestra were used.

Any help?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
The Take Out Bandit said:
Ecrofirt must let go of his hate, and accept his fellow Canadians into his playlist!

B00061RYWA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The singer is about on the same level of Rob Halford in terms of sound. But god damn do the songs rock! PIRATES! WARRIORS WITH ENCHANTED AXES?! HOLY FUCK!

I saw these guys in concert. It was great, like the greatest thing ever. Small venues are so much more fun too!

Ravager61

sub_zer0 said:
Steering away from power metal for a bit.....

Inthenightsideeclipseemperor.jpg

After rediscovering this album, where does one go from here when trying to find atmospheric Black Metal with symphonic influences?
The only albums i managed to find similiar to 'In The Nightside Eclipse', was Marduk's Nightwing and Anorexia Nervosa's Drudenhaus. Both of which are great, especially Nightwing as no keyboards/orchestra were used.

Any help?

Id recommend:
Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler
3609.jpg

Aske

sub_zer0 said:

Any help?

I'm trying to think of albums that have that 'Eclipse' sense of atmosphere, but feel a little more stripped down that Emperor's 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk', which I assume missed the mark given its omission from your post. Nokturnal Mortum are a very obvious recommendation if you don't object to the NS themes on their latest albums. From their straight Black Metal days, 'To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire' should be exactly what you're looking for.

Belenos will be worth your while - check out 'Spicilege' - and Ecclesia Satani's 'NS Satan' is a work of unparalleled genius. I'd also suggest checking out Kampfar's first album: 'Mellom Skoggkledde Aaser'. It's quite different to 'Eclipse', but I have a feeling that it might be what you're after. And just out of the blue I'm going to recommend Kroda, particularly their latest album 'Fimbulvinter'. They might or might not hit the mark, but they're talented enough to be worth a search, and you'll find samples on their website.

Closer to 'Nightwing' than 'Eclipse', but I have to recommend Funeral Mist's 'Salvation'. This album is unparalleled in terms of atmosphere. To be honest, I would recommend this regardless of your criteria, it's that good.

Reese-015

Big Nate said:
Sabaton - Primo Victoria

B00077CYIW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Described as "war" metal, this World War II concept album is one of my newly discovered favorites. Everything from the vocals to the soaring solos, to the awesome keyboard work, reeks of quality metal on this album.

Highly recommended.

Not bad, and absolutely awesome to hear they actually have a good sense of humour in the last song... The lyrics are completely ridiculous, I even think he said "*suck* my metal machine" instead of 'touch' in one of the last bits.

Ravager61

Caïna - Mourner
151813.jpg

Caïna - I, Mountain
141321.jpg

Ive been listening to these 2 albums for the past couple days. People have classified the band as post-black metal and I think thats a fair definition. Its actually some of the most depressing music ive ever heard. Some of it is downright creepy but its also brilliant at the same time. Definately check them out if you are looking for something different.
http://www.myspace.com/cainaband

Thanks for the replies Ravager61/Reese-015. Got some Black Metal shopping to do this weekend then.

I guess most people heard the Decapitated news it over the weekend, but i'll post it here in case (...) anybody missed out on the news:
On 29 October 2007, while travelling to a show in Gomel, Belarus, the band was involved in an automobile accident. Their tour bus collided with a truck carrying wood, injuring Vitek and Covan. While it was initially believed that they were taken to Moscow to be treated after treatment at a local hospital, it was later confirmed that they were only taken to be treated in Novozybkov, where they have remained for the time being.

Covan has since shown signs of improvement. The bus was said to be 'beyond repair' following the crash, an indication of the impact of the collision. On 2 November 2007, the band's drummer Witold "Vitek" Kiełtyka died in the hospital from head injuries sustained in the accident. He was 23 years old.
Which is a damn shame after just seeing them a few months back. Vitek's drumming was the only thing that kept the new album from a total disappointment. Not only that, but he was certainly one of the best upcoming metal drummers in the scene.

Onto releases:
161146.jpg

I picked up Portal's Outre few months back, and finally got around to listening to it. Holy crap, this atmospheric/doom-ish classic morbid angel era death metal is amazing. Most definitely will be my favourite Death Met album of 07.
http://www.myspace.com/portalxiii

Barnolde

Banned
I'm glad to see Sabaton getting lots of love here.

Their "new" release, 'Metalizer' is a remaster of their first album, Fist for Fight and I'm not all that impressed.
SABATON%20METALIZER.jpg

It comes with Fist for Fight, but it just seems too controlled and too slow. While the songs sound better, they just seem off, with the speed lacking on the original Fist for Fight. It does have a new song, Jawbreaker and it's pretty good.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Ravager61 said:
Caïna - Mourner
151813.jpg

Caïna - I, Mountain
141321.jpg

Ive been listening to these 2 albums for the past couple days. People have classified the band as post-black metal and I think thats a fair definition. Its actually some of the most depressing music ive ever heard. Some of it is downright creepy but its also brilliant at the same time. Definately check them out if you are looking for something different.
http://www.myspace.com/cainaband

Very nice. Reminds me of Agalloch.

DieH@rd

Banned
Equilibrium - Turis Fratyr [Viking Black metal [with a little folk touch]]
Turis_Fratyr.jpg

Excelent album, and its their first one! Soon they will release their second album for Nuclear Blast.

Phobophile

Witchfinder General said:
Very nice. Reminds me of Agalloch.

If you liked Caina, check out more black metal/post-rock albums, like Wigrid - Die Asche Eines Lebens. His first album's just flat-out Burzum worship and really nothing special but this is his sophomore release and it's fantastic.

Eric P

I'm looking for metal suggestions

i've been going through this list and have found stuff i like, but mostly stuff i dislike.

i'm really enjoying the technical and power metal that i'm hearing, but despise anything with cookiemonster vocals

stuff i like

behold the arctopus - techmetal out of brooklyn, currently on tour. just picked up their two metal blade CD releases. very good stuff. no vocals.

ulver- all of it. very, very good stuff. esp the earlier stuff.

i love tech metal because it reminds me of my favorite jazz form, which is hardbop, so any suggestions along those lines would be really appreciated.

Phobophile

Eric P said:
I'm looking for metal suggestions

i've been going through this list and have found stuff i like, but mostly stuff i dislike.

i'm really enjoying the technical and power metal that i'm hearing, but despise anything with cookiemonster vocals

stuff i like

behold the arctopus - techmetal out of brooklyn, currently on tour. just picked up their two metal blade CD releases. very good stuff. no vocals.

ulver- all of it. very, very good stuff. esp the earlier stuff.

i love tech metal because it reminds me of my favorite jazz form, which is hardbop, so any suggestions along those lines would be really appreciated.

Tech metal:

Canvas Solaris
Electro Quarterstaff

Folk black metal (like Ulver):

Nokturnal Mortum - Weltanschauung
Hammers of Misfortune - The Bastard

Barnolde said:
I'm glad to see Sabaton getting lots of love here.

Their "new" release, 'Metalizer' is a remaster of their first album, Fist for Fight and I'm not all that impressed.
SABATON%20METALIZER.jpg

It comes with Fist for Fight, but it just seems too controlled and too slow. While the songs sound better, they just seem off, with the speed lacking on the original Fist for Fight. It does have a new song, Jawbreaker and it's pretty good.
I still like the war themed songs from Attero Dominatus and Primo Victoria best.

Phobophile

Here's a new album for the majority of metal fans on GAF:

8esti83.jpg

Biomechanical - Cannibalised

Awesome prog metal band that combines the technicality of prog metal and the groove of modern heavy metal. It's pretty much Nevermore with prog and even more groove and less suck.

I figured I'd recommend something that's not black/death/grind/sludge for you folks since I know not all of you like em.

http://www.myspace.com/biomechanical

There's a track from the new album on their Myspace but I think that the other tracks on the album are even better than that sample.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I have Empires of the Worlds but haven't listened to it much. From what I've heard it sounds pretty good, though.

There really isn't much new metal that tickles my fancy these days The only newer stuff I really like is Children Of bodom, Mastodon, Municipal waste and some other stuff. Miles beyond is pretty good but they lack energy in there songs there a little to slow in my opinion.

Maggot9

Banned
Picked up Opeth's Roundhouse Tapes yesterday. Have only listened to the first 2 tracks and it seems awesome. 20 minute Blackwater Park FTMFW

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Phobophile said:
Biomechanical - Cannibalised

I realllllllllly hated biomechanical when I listed to them, but they were definitely not prog. They sounded like Nevermore or something, with even worse(alright who am i kidding, there are no worse vocals) vocals which made me cringe.

Music was pretty good though I thought. Maybe they have changed/it was a different but similarly named band.

Proc

<3 this thread; thanks for all of the suggestions. It's been so long since I've been into metal.

Definitely had a long running Industrial/Indie kick.

I'm really enjoying Caïna.

Proc

Sorry for the double post...can anyone recommend some prog metal ala Tool? I just realized I never ventured down that road and I have been a fan of tool for quite some time now (although their later stuff is sorta meh).

Flynn

I recently picked up Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm not well versed in black metal, but I found the record to be very interesting.

Phobophile

QVT said:
I realllllllllly hated biomechanical when I listed to them, but they were definitely not prog. They sounded like Nevermore or something, with even worse(alright who am i kidding, there are no worse vocals) vocals which made me cringe.

Music was pretty good though I thought. Maybe they have changed/it was a different but similarly named band.

Well most "prog metal" really hasn't been progressive in nearly two decades, but whatever. It's proggy enough and the vocals are decent enough. I've never had a problem with shitty vocals; they don't hurt the music but can only enhance it.

Proc said:
Sorry for the double post...can anyone recommend some prog metal ala Tool? I just realized I never ventured down that road and I have been a fan of tool for quite some time now (although their later stuff is sorta meh).

Tool ain't metal.

DieH@rd

Banned
jeffy_johnson said:
PROPHET_BIG.jpg

Prophet of the last Eclipse is a good blend of orchestrated and electronic with power metal as the core.

Great album, with excelent storytelling. To this day I wait for some sort of story sequel :)

I'm definitely not a metal expert, but it's cool to see A Wolves in the Throne Room recc in this thread. They rule and have one of the best band names EVER. :D

Vader is kind of awesome too.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Proc said:

Check out "The New Normal" by Cog. Kinda like a heavier version of Tool but the band's Aussie.

Also, Warrel Dane is a great singer.

Fuck you all.

*Adds Biomechanical to his Chrissie list*

Eric P

so i've been checking out some other metal with the help of magazines like terrorizer and metal hammer, just to get more of a grip on the music.

i've found arch enemy who i like, the most recent terrorizer issue had Blut Aus Nord, which I liked. I really liked Finntroll, and Witchcraft.

and I've picked up tickets to Chiamara, Katalyst, Terror and The End in two weeks..

i think the issue is that i've avoided most metal because the music i've been exposed to has either been a lie ("nu-metal") or has been cookie monster vocals, which I can't really get into.

I have also found that increasing the bass on whatever device I am using will actually make it sound a lot better. well, to me anyway. I wish the drums and the bass weren't mixed so low. :|

can somebody recommend me some good melodic death metal?

i like archenemy, in flames, children of bodom, and ...dethklok

i'm not really in touch with the world of metal, what else should i get?

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
bggrthnjsus said:
can somebody recommend me some good melodic death metal?

i like archenemy, in flames, children of bodom, and ...dethklok

i'm not really in touch with the world of metal, what else should i get?

At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity, Arsis (first album only), Carcass' Heartwork, old Soilwork

LordMaji

I know this has probably been said.

But that Ziltoid album is aweeeesssooommeeee.

Devin did an awesome job w/ the music. The music really brings you into the story (goofy or not) some parts really paint a picture in your head really well.

Great album, if you are a fan of metal & scifi dorkness, then this is prefect for you. It's kind of like the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy w/ metal!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom