• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So in the last metal thread we determined that there are a bunch of us here, so I figured I'd start a new thread so we could recommend albums and discuss. PLEASE people, let's try to keep this civil and don't rag on other's favorites. Just because some people like some forms of metal over others doesn't mean they are idiots.

Anyhoo, to start things off, I have to recommend:

Misery Index - Discordia

B000F1I0TW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52709636_.jpg

This album is currently rocking my face off. If you love death metal at all, you must hear this one. Brutal riffs and killer vocals without the Cookie Monster-ism that a lot of people hate. Hard and fast these guys are, and the album has great production values.

Highly recommended.

EDIT - Could everyone who posts recommends please include the genre of metal along with your recomends, please. This'll help immensely.

Ecrofirt must let go of his hate, and accept his fellow Canadians into his playlist!

B00061RYWA.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The singer is about on the same level of Rob Halford in terms of sound. But god damn do the songs rock! PIRATES! WARRIORS WITH ENCHANTED AXES?! HOLY FUCK!

Sorry, no fancy pics from me. But I'll reccomend some:

Ill Nino- All their albums are fantastic. Like a more melodic version of Soulfly. Its obvious that all their songs are crafted with the utmost care. I mean its all just put together too well to argue otherwise. +1 for having "This is War" as Nick Diaz's UFC intro music. :)

Soulfly- The Dark Ages. Really the best Soulfly album hands down if you ask me. Its brilliant. Riotstarter is probably my favorite, but I love the way the last track starts with the sound of rainfall and then goes into like a 10 minute acoustic bit.

Chimaira- Chimaira and The Impossibility of Reason. Somebody said in the other thread "They're the new face of metal". I agree. They have an aggression in their sound that is all their own and to know it is to know metal. Weirdly enough, my favorite song from them is the closer on Impossibility of Reason. Its a 13 minute instrumental that is just awesome. I can't help but imagine it playing in the background of the newest Tekken game or something. Its just so badass and fitting. There's even a part near the end that would be PERFECT for the continue screen when you lose a fight. But yeah, their awesome.

Symphony X- Divine Wings of Tragedy, V, Twilight in Olympus, and The Odyssey. All fantastic works of art. I really believe the guys in this band are the BEST players in the world at what they do. I think its awesome that they're all in the same band and making music this technically sound. Not only is it all technical as fuck, but its not just that way for the sake of being difficult. There's a lot of brilliant craftsmanship in their songs. Just listen to V for example. Its my favorite album of the bunch. You can tell right away from the first few tracks that these guys are awesome at what they do. There's a reason I own TWO of everything they've done.

I finally picked up the album Croatoan by Starkweather and it's awesome. Starkweather has been one of my favorite metal bands for years, even though they haven't released anything except for a few tracks on compilations since the mid-90s. Their music is kind of hard to describe: they don't really conform to any metal subgenre. Basically their stuff has a cathartic, emotional (but not emo!) feel along with very intricate songwriting. Their songs go back and forth between clean and distorted vocals, and have lots of tempo changes and soft/loud dynamics. They're an all-around amazing band that deserves to be more well-known than they are.

ced

Been listening to older Opeth and In Flames recently.

BTW I saw In Flames sunday night with Evergrey and some other mediocre bands I didnt know, they were really good in spite of the crappy venue.

I unfortuantly missed most of Evergrey, but what we caught was good.

soakrates

TToB:
I saw 3 Inches of Blood open up for Exodus some time back. It was GLORIOUS.

I recently picked up Behemoth's "Demigod" even though it came out in 2004. I'm not the biggest fan of more traditional death metal, but this album is quite good. Amazingly technical with lots of great riffs and solos.

Oh, and Blind Guardian are touring North America later this year, so I've been listening to them quite a bit. Aside from that, I haven't listened to much metal lately.

Ecrofirt

All are Power Metal. All have clean vocals. All are must-listens.

MANOWAR - Kings of Metal
11ain39.jpg

Edguy - Mandrake
11ainty.jpg

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
11aiq8x.jpg

Galneryus - Advance To The Fall
11aitfl.gif

Hammerfall - Renegade
11aiz9k.jpg

Freedom Call - Crystal Empire
11aj2ns.jpg

Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt. 2
11aj3ax.jpg

Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
11ajokh.jpg

Ecrofirt

Big Nate said:
I have to 2nd the Galneryus recommend. These guys have only two albums that I know of, but they kick all sorts of ass, in particular their guitarist.

"Silent Revelation" video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfBI_kmDlNQ&search=galneryus

Their MySpace page:
http://www.myspace.com/galneryusworld

I just recently got into Edguy, and have only heard "Rocket Ride".
B000CQO2GU.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Can't wait to hear Mandrake.

Galneryus has a new CD coming out July 12th or so. Here's everything I know so far:
◆Galneryusアルバムリリース情報!!
★★Galneryus 3rd Album「Beyond the end of despair...」
VPCC-81542 2006.7.12 release \3,000[税込]
1.Arise
2.Shriek of the vengeance
3.Raid again
4.Shiver
5.Point of no return
6.In the cage
7.Heavy curse
8.Vanishing hope
9.Dawn of tragedy
10.My last farewell
11.Braving flag
12.Rebirth...

Also, Mandrake is very different from Rocket Ride. If you want something more like Rocket Ride, the closest you'll come is Hellfire Club.

fallout

Nothing to add right now, but I think it would help to put the name of the band and the album under each thing you post. These are recommendations, not bragging rights.

Ecrofirt

fallout said:
Nothing to add right now, but I think it would help to put the name of the band and the album under each thing you post. These are recommendations, not bragging rights.

Yep, exactly what I did with mine. It's hard as hell to read the title on some CDs.

B00000IN5G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0009WPLM6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Been listening to both of these a lot lately after being introduced by a friend. I'm more of a hiphop head but these get me fuckin pumped up! :lol

MetalAlien

Banned
My ole favorite is Gwars Ragnarox. I can just put that on and listen to the whole CD.

Others maybe not be strictly Metal.

TSOL
The Cramps
The Damned.
(campy) 45 Grave
Pretty much the whole soundtrack from Return Of the Living Dead.

The movie Trick Or Treat is a nice trip down memory lane for metal heads.

Joe

any thrash or speed metal recommendations? no 80's or early 90's stuff please unless its really good.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter (black metal)

B0000255CL.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Immortal have been around for a long time, and have many great albums, but for me this one is the pinnacle. It's more brutal than a lot of black metal, and contains some of the most killer riffs I've heard. Other great Immortal albums include Damned in Black and Pure Holocaust.

Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream (death metal)

B0009VN8CC.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Dismember, one of the best death metal bands in the world, hail from Sweden, land of buxom blonds and brutal riffs. And it doesn't get much more brutal than this album, which to me is beside Deicide's Legion as the best death metal albums ever. Buy this!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Joe said:
any thrash or speed metal recommendations? no 80's or early 90's stuff please unless its really good.

I'm not totally up on either of those genre's, as I stick mostly to black/death/power metal, however, if you haven't checked out Strapping Young Lad, you should. They have a new album coming out in July I believe, but any of their early stuff, in particular City, would fit your description of speed metal nicely. These guys play hard and fast, but I'm unsure of how to classify them in the metal realm. Check 'em out.

Barnolde

Banned
The only metal site you need:
http://www.metal-archives.com/

Ghoul's (death/grind/thrash/punk) Splatterthrash just came out
ghoulnewest.jpg

Sample song http://www.razorbackrecords.com/music/casket.mp3
Another sample off their Maniaxe CD: http://digestor.tripod.com/music/numbskull.mp3
And off their first CD: http://digestor.tripod.com/music/soonscream.MP3

Blood Freak! (grind)
bloodfreakcoverart.gif

MP3s:
http://www.razorbackrecords.com/music/toxic.MP3
http://www.razorbackrecords.com/music/goretits.mp3
http://www.razorbackrecords.com/music/axeofviolence.mp3

FRIGHTMARE! (death/grind)
bbbcover.jpg

MP3s:
http://digestor.tripod.com/music/cropsy.MP3
http://www.razorbackrecords.com/music/barbecutioner.MP3

Sabaton (heavy power metal)
6070.jpg

MP3s:
http://www.download.com/sabaton

Plus here's some FREE albums:
Demilich (inhuman technical death metal
Vörnagar (melodeath)
Ewigkeit (experimental metal/electronic)

Leatherface

Big Nate said:
I'm not totally up on either of those genre's, as I stick mostly to black/death/power metal, however, if you haven't checked out Strapping Young Lad, you should. They have a new album coming out in July I believe, but any of their early stuff, in particular City, would fit your description of speed metal nicely. These guys play hard and fast, but I'm unsure of how to classify them in the metal realm. Check 'em out.

I second Strapping Young Lad. They are an amazing band.

Tokubetsu

I dont know why, but im typically not a death metal type of person...but Cannibal Corpse has been REALLY intruiging me of late. I usually stick to Power, thrash, folk and the ocassional black but ive been hearing some of cannibals older stuff (their new album is meh imo) and ive been slowly falling in love with it. Been holding off a puchase though...dont know why.

izakq

One of my favorite bands is Voivod. An experimental band in which each album was practically a story on the main character, Voivod. The four man group each had their own stage names. "Snake" - singer, "Blacky" - bassist, "Piggy" - guitarist, "Away" - drummer (also does the bands artwork in videos, logo, albums and such). However, which album to recommend is pretty tough, as they are all very different in sound.

Ravenous Medicine - From their third album "Killing Technology". Very thrashy, raw sound.

Tribal Convictions - From their fourth album "Dimension Hatross". More speed metal than thrash, if anything, but an excellent album.

Astronomy Domine - Pink Floyd cover song from their fifth album "Nothingface". Another excellent album. Has a very spacy feel to it with the obvious Pink Floyd influences.

Clouds In My House - From their sixth album "Angel Rat". Now on this album, things the sound got a little more mainstream. Some fans didn't like this album because of it, but I still thought is was very well done. Their bassist "Blacky" had left the group.

The next album was "The Outer Limits" which, to me, was a cross of "Nothingface" and "Angel Rat" in terms of writing and sound.

Insect - Now at this point, their singer left, and Eric Forrest joined for the next two albums, "Negatron" and "Phobos". The sound here goes back to the days of "Killing Technology" and "Dimension Hatross".

We Carry On - From their latest album "Voivod". Here "Snake" returns to the group with, that's right, Jason Newsted, or Jasonic, on bass.

Their next album is coming out sometime soon, however their guitarist, "Piggy" had passed away a few months ago from colon cancer. Such a talented guitarist. Anyway, there you go.

And just to go off into left field, here's a video of German thrash group, Desctruction. Excellent song.

Desecrators Of The New Age

blahness

While I could post most of the albums that My Arms Your Hearse posted im going to throw these out

Mastodon - Leviathan
I was initally not impressed with Mastodon when i first heard this album, but with a few more listens it really hooked me.
mastodon_leviathan.jpg

Nasum - Helvete (Grindcore gods!)
nasum_helvete.jpg

Windir - 1184
3844.jpg

sadly Nasum and Windir are now defunct due to the death of their vocalists in 2004 (a dark year for metal)
Mieszko Talarczyk of Nasum died while on vacation in the huge ass Tsunami
Valfar of Windir died of hypothermia after he got lost trying to find help in a snow storm

Leatherface

blahness said:
While I could post most of the albums that My Arms Your Hearse posted im going to throw these out

Mastodon - Leviathan
I was initally not impressed with Mastodon when i first heard this album, but with a few more listens it really hooked me.
mastodon_leviathan.jpg

Nasum - Helvete (Grindcore gods!)
nasum_helvete.jpg

Windir - 1184
3844.jpg

sadly Nasum and Windir are now defunct due to the death of their vocalists in 2004 (a dark year for metal)
Mieszko Talarczyk of Nasum died while on vacation in the huge ass Tsunami
Valfar of Windir died of hypothermia after he got lost trying to find help in a snow storm

Mastodon is ****ing great. Especially live. I actually had a chance to play with these guys last year. what a show.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars

Best black metal album of 2006 thus far. Great for fans of USBM like Weakling (these guys do what Weakling did, but a whole lot better and not boring). Great harmonized black metal with a modern guitar tone, folk elements, and guest female vocals.

Wolves-cover.gif

My favorite album by my favorite band: Solefald - Pills Against the Ageless Ills

The quintessential post-black metal album. Heavily guitar driven, not as electronic and experimental as their previous album, Neonism and not as atmospheric as their next album, In Harmonia Universali, this album incorporates influences from other guitar-driven genres, like old prog rock, punk, etc.

solefald_gr.jpg

Darvulia - L'Alliance des Venins

Great damn black metal. Combines the minimalistic stylings of second-wave black metal and the semi-technical dissonant songwriting and cleaner, more modern production of third-wave BM bands, in particular, their other French contemporaries, such as Deathspell Omega.

3465_7995.jpg

Benighted - Identisick

Everything you could want in a death metal album: groove, brutality, technicality, and its fair share of melody. One of the few death metal bands that can pull off an album with ultra-spiffy, modern production. If you don't listen to this, you don't like good death metal. One of 2006's best.

104616.jpg

Saprogenic - Ichneumonid

Saprogenic: one of the very few good things to come out of Michigan. For fans of brutal death metal (like Suffocation). This album was a breath of fresh air in the brutal death scene as most recent brutal death albums have been incredibly generic, lackluster, and contrived. Saprogenic's songwriting drastically matured and improved since their first album, The Wet Sound of Flesh on Concrete. Rather than playing two great riffs for about two and a half to three minutes, they'd tossed in more with a surprising element--melody.

ichcover.jpg

Dismember - The God That Never Was

Holy shit this album restored my faith in the Swedes. Not having released anything decent since like 1993 and having put out a lot of crap (see Bloodbath, most of the Gothenburg melo-death movement) for over the past decade, Dismember comes back with their best album since Like an Ever Flowing Stream and Indecent & Obscene with a surprisingly amazing death metal album. Just as groovy as their first two albums but even heavier and more melodic! There should be no reason any death metal fan wouldn't like this. Best death metal in over two years.

bigcover_god.jpg

Barnolde

Banned
Phobophile said:
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars

Best black metal album of 2006 thus far.

Oath Bound says hi.
B000EQIO80.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57016917_.jpg

Summoning = 2006. Oath Bound is just ****ing incredible. They're classified as black metal, but they don't sound like any other bm, which is probably one reason why they kick so much ass.

EDIT: Oh shit, Saprogenic, I haven't heard about them in ages. Wet Sound of Flesh was your typical snore inducing br00tal shit. I'll have to check their new album out.

Ahriman

I couldn't get into mastodon's "Leviathan" even after repeaded listens :|

Anyway, give Arcturus--La Masquerade Infernale a shot.

blahness

Ahriman said:
I couldn't get into mastodon's "Leviathan" even after repeaded listens :|

Anyway, give Arcturus--La Masquerade Infernale a shot.

heh we are opposites.. i have listened to la masquerade many times and it still hasnt hooked me... not a bad album just it hasnt hooked me *shrugs*

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Barnolde said:
Oath Bound says hi.

Oath Bound also says I'm the same thing Summoning did four albums in a row but less spectacular. A significant step down from Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

Edit:

blahness said:
heh we are opposites.. i have listened to la masquerade many times and it still hasnt hooked me... not a bad album just it hasnt hooked me *shrugs*

Man, that's unfortunate. It's definitely one of the best post-black metal albums out there.

Leatherface

I must say, it really impresses me that so many of you are into metal in this day in age.. The genre doesn't get enough credit. especially since it's not the "trendy" music to listen to...

you guys are ok in my book. :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dismember The God That Never Was

Holy shit, yes! This album is indeed one of the best death metal has to offer in the last two years, no contest. Buy this album, people.

Of all the stuff I've jammed on today, I have two recommends:

Deicide - Scars of the Crucifix

B00015HSLS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Deicide's latest album (until 6/6/06 that is, woo!) is one of their best imo. While not up to the groundbreaking effort of Legion, it still stands up as a brutal death metal album that no self-respecting fan should be without. Glen Benton's vocals have never sounded more evil, and their playing is just super tight and well produced. My favorite track is "The Pentecostal" which is a blinding, face-ripping tour-de-force of killer riffs, melodic undertones, and furious drumming. Actually, that describes the whole album! :lol

Next up we have:

Kreator - Enemy of God

B0006HXXBA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This album is for all you old-school thrash fans out there. Blindingly fast riffs and awesome vocals is what you have right here. Nothing more to say, really, except if you like your metal loud, fast, and well-played, look no further!

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Let me put some stoner/sludge/doom metal in this thread.

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

14030.jpg

So heavy that it could possibly suffocate you. This is one of the perennial doom/sludge metal albums. Unrelentingly heavy guitar riffs from start to finish.

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

20231.jpg

A bit different than the other sludge/doom metal albums I'm mentioning, but this is a classic. A very depressing album that alternates between ballads with cleanly sung vocals, and pummelling blasts of doom riffage.

Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash...

99703.jpg

A bit more polished sounding than Electric Wizard's Dopethrone, but this is still one devastating album. You know the drill-- crushing riffs and groove.

Sleep - Dopesmoker

84874.jpg

This one is not for the faint of heart. Dopesmoker includes a single overwhelming track that's over an hour long. This album is a stoner masterpiece.

Buried at Sea - Migration

156559.jpg

Three tracks of sprawling, vicious doom metal. Extremely dissonant with grimy production and bile-spewing vocals.

Boris - Amplifier Worship

43264.jpg

Almost forgot this album. One of the best Boris albums, and probably their best straight up metal album. Has a bit of everything--drone metal, doom, and even some psychedelic.

Ecrofirt

11wekue.jpg

I thought I'd update this thread by posting a Lordi video.

I just heard about Lordi, and after seeing some Lordi stuff, I was pretty blown away.

Lordi actually recently won the Eurovision Song Contest, which is usually a pop competition. From what i understand, they won with the highest number of votes ever.

Here's a video of the performance:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8576567677038063896&q=lordi

Here's the actual video for the song. It's pretty ****ing awesome:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6666637566522776701&q=lordi

Seriously. Any band that plays on stage dressed like this gets mega points:
11wen37.jpg

SofaKing

Hates all things good and decent in this world
Ecrofirt said:
All are Power Metal. All have clean vocals. All are must-listens.

MANOWAR - Kings of Metal
11ain39.jpg

Edguy - Mandrake
11ainty.jpg

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
11aiq8x.jpg

Galneryus - Advance To The Fall
11aitfl.gif

Hammerfall - Renegade
11aiz9k.jpg

Freedom Call - Crystal Empire
11aj2ns.jpg

Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt. 2
11aj3ax.jpg

Rhapsody - Dawn of Victory
11ajokh.jpg

what he speaks is true
plus these:

Dawnrider - Fate Is Calling Pt. 1

Bloodbound - Nosferatu

Nocturnal Rites - Shadowland

Barnolde

Banned
Phobophile said:
Oath Bound also says I'm the same thing Summoning did four albums in a row but less spectacular. A significant step down from Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame.

>_< GTFO

Leatherface said:
I must say, it really impresses me that so many of you are into metal in this day in age.. The genre doesn't get enough credit. especially since it's not the "trendy" music to listen to...

you guys are ok in my book. :)

Metal =/= popular. And most metal fans/bands want it to stay that way.

Dismember - The God That Never Was is incredible and has a very awesome coverart. I also praise this album. And Deicide is pretty lame, Legion and Scars are solid, but not excellent and their new single on iTunes was pretty boring. Cannibal Corpse - Kill is pure shit as well, easily their most boring album to date.

And in case anyone missed the post before:
Barnolde said:
FREE albums:
Demilich (inhuman technical death metal)
Vörnagar (melodeath)
Ewigkeit (experimental metal/electronic)

LISTEN TO ARGHOSLENT.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
First, /applause for the Lordi recommend. I just recently heard these guys for the first time as well (due to seeing an article on them winning that contest). So far, I'm greatly impressed, love 'em.

Did everyone have a good 6/6/6? I spent the day playing Oblivion and listening to ultra loud metal, usually Deicide and these guys:

Behemoth - Demigod

B00070Q8DQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

My goodness, this is some brutal death metal. The album starts with some acoustic work but quickly flies into some of the hardest, most savage shite I've heard in a while. Seriously, if this stuff doesn't have your head banging and your blood pumping, then check your pulse, cause you're probably dead. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Barnolde

Banned
Big Nate said:
Did everyone have a good 6/6/6? I spent the day playing Oblivion and listening to ultra loud metal, usually Deicide and these guys:

Behemoth - Demigod

My goodness, this is some brutal death metal. The album starts with some acoustic work but quickly flies into some of the hardest, most savage shite I've heard in a while. Seriously, if this stuff doesn't have your head banging and your blood pumping, then check your pulse, cause you're probably dead. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

I played HL2: Episode One and did a bit more of nothing, also I got a new bong, which was the highlight of my 6/6/6, on my way to pick it up, I almost hit some guy who was running, that was it.

Behemoth's Zos Kia Cultus is their best death metal album, Demigod was a bit of a letdown compared to it (although I <3 Slaves Shall Serve). I haven't heard their black metal stuff, but I hear good things about it.

Any Judas Iscariot fans here?
judasdyingcd.jpg

Thy Dying Light (and pretty much everything else by him) is incredible.

Leatherface

Big Nate said:
Behemoth - Demigod

B00070Q8DQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

QFT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLDZ01M2Yh0&search=behemoth
Behemoth - slaves shall serve (video)

BAD ASS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom