• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

4As creative director was an engineer by trade, so when designing them, he actually made sure all the weapons in the Metro games could be usable and built in real life.

Anarion07

somebody please, for the love of all that is holy, post the moment when drake starts the engine in the jeep in uc4 and his warm hand leaves a condensation mark on the metal near the ignition key!!!!

oh and when you're in the attic, light behind you makes your ears translucent, just like in real life!

I really love uncharted but wasn't that specific moment just an artifact? (The condensation one)

Formosa

The absurd amount of detail in a car in Forza. I think it's totally unrivaled in the fact that you can open the car up and explore (other games have detailed engines on cars where the engine is visible through glass, but not many have a "car explorer" AFAIK) and see so much detail in its components.
Q1FpVOc.jpg

The PBR on them is amazing too. You can really see that the "M Power" engine cover is a plastic-y material while the rest are various metals.

That does not look good at all. Looks fake and cheap. I have the same car and it looks nothing like that lol. Detailed and realistic I would say GT series for racing games.

In Uncharted 4, there are a few times where you're moving from location to location via a jeep. The area is a giant playground and you can get out of the jeep at any point. During this part of the game, Sam and Sully will talk about their past. If you jump out of the jeep mid-conversation, the characters will notice this and stop talking. Whenever you get back, they'll say something like. "So what was I saying? Oh yeah: when I was younger..."

It's a pretty cool way to prevent players from missing dialogue, and it sounds natural, too. I thought it was pretty cool. Another cool detail in this area are the moving clouds, which cast shadows on the environment.

a916

Uncharted 4 - Explosions as light source under water

You take this kind of stuff for granted. As far as I'm concerned ND and Rockstar North have a level of detail that's unmatched. ND goes a bit further and has a slightly higher level of polish

ss_lemonade

In OG Halo 1, zooming in on weapons held by NPCs will show the same details as when you are holding them (ammo count and compass point in the assault rifle for example). Hopefully the newer games still do this, but that detail had me impressed on the xbox.

R00bot

In mario kart 8, the racers will look at each other as they pass, as well as looking at items passing by, but the most impressive detail I've noticed is the characters looking at the shadow of a blue shell about to hit them. This is most impressive because the blue shell only flies for the last few seconds before hitting you, so they programmed that just for a split second that nobody will notice.

The battlefield hamburger feels like a dev got bored one day while eating lunch and decided to model the burger into the game.

When I played Skyrim, I was on some quest and had to go talk to somebody in their home. On the way out, I was grabbing some items and accidentally STOLE a cup or something. Later on, I finished clearing a cave, weak as hell, overloaded with loot, and when I entered the overworld, three dudes accosted me and tried to kill me. I got the best of them and searched their bodies. There was a note from the lady whose cup I accidentally stole that basically put a hit out on me for taking her property. That wasn't nice.

So I went back to her town. I found any and everybody who had the same last name as her and I murdered them in the coldest of bloods. I collected each body and left them near her front door. Then I waited for her to find them. Unfortunately, she never noticed them, because she never left her house for whatever reason. So I snuck into her house late at night, murdered her husband or brother and threw him into the burning hearth. When she woke up, she looked at the hearth but didn't really react. I don't know if the AI glitched or she lost her mind, but after she saw it I just walked out confident in knowing that she knew that I ended her bloodline.

I liked Skyrim.

You ok there buddy?

Kenstar

I remember being blown away when I realized in Max Payne 1 that every single bullet was actually a rendered projectile, which is what allowed you to dodge them. Thankfully it's something every entry in the trilogy has kept.

Speaking pf Max Payne, MP3 probably has the best weapon details/animations of any shooter I've ever played.

UgVDbiy.gif

Slow motion shotgun action

Very detailed but the shell pops out instantly in the game instead of right before the next one is loaded.

T_V_H

I remember being blown away when I realized in Max Payne 1 that every single bullet was actually a rendered projectile, which is what allowed you to dodge them. Thankfully it's something every entry in the trilogy has kept.

Speaking pf Max Payne, MP3 probably has the best weapon details/animations of any shooter I've ever played.

UgVDbiy.gif

Max Payne 3 sure is still impressive, played it through again a while back and damn does it hold up well.

Still if you want impressive weapon animations you should look at Killing Floor 2. By far the best in my oppinion.

The prime series has tons of neat details like this. But I think the Metal gear series takes the cake with shear volume of little things / easter eggs you can experience. Those games are all packed with fun stuff to find and cool interactions with the environment/enemy ai.

The Argus

GTA V and IV
Red Dead Redemption
Max Payne 3

All Rockstar games, all insanely detailed and alive. No one comes close. Well maybe Naughty Dog, but since their games are linear I give R* the trophy here.

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time felt really detailed for its time, loved the little things like the giant pissed off skeletons that spawned at night if you killed enough of the small ones. Or the fishing mini-game where you could catch the owners toupee or get called out for gaming the system.

Menitta

I'm going to pick the Yakuza series when it comes to product placement. When you go into a bar, not only are the lists of drinks real products, they each have a full paragraph of description. In Yakuza 5 you can read the first chapter of a bunch of manga (albeit not in English but still) in convenient stores! They've got Hajime No Ippo, Attack on Titan, Initial D, and a bunch of other stuff. It's nuts!

The Yakuza series really is the Japan simulator.

Edit: Though I do think the amount of Boss Coffee is a bit much lol. Not sure if that's real though.

In Smash the Metroid trophy has a reflection in it that is the title screen of Super Metroid

So essentially the trophy itself is of the Metroid looking out of the tube from the title screen of Super Metroid.

Source

Speaking of Smash...

13729181033_705dce2ecc_o.jpg

Still remember people going wild about how realistic Greninja's doll looked. And it's something that rarely appears (logs are more common when Greninja's DSpecial is done), and when it does appear, it is only for a few seconds.

IC5

This is a pretty good choice just because of how completely uninvolved with the gameplay it is. Stuff like Geralt's beard growing in Witcher III, or the Metroid visor effects.... everyone who plays is going to see that, and most players will in some way take notice.

But like.... ice cubes. I would venture to say that less than 1% of players even shot that bucket of ice and probably even less stood around after to watch the ice melt. It's just so totally pointless, but that's what makes the game so special.
Well, except that game mags dissected the crap out of the tanker demo. Revealing all those little details.

Monocle

The one I really love is that Kojima hand designed every single desk in MGS individually rather than use a bunch of templates to complete the immersion.

In fact, this is an MGS thread. There are way too many things in the MGS games to list here.
That's really cool. I want to go check them out now.

Bamboo

I like some of the details in Shadow of the Colossus. Like Agro drinking from water once he's near a pond or something and you don't bother him. Or being able to hold onto birds or fish, gliding along for a while. Yes there are fish and even small eel that shock you IIRC. Also: the turtles that hide in their shell when you get too close. Or the fact that you can shoot off the lizards tails with your bow without killing the animal itself.

XV death spell deforming polygon meshes / shrinking enemies out of existence.

ffvx.gif
This is great and super unsettling at the same time.

Post the best thing that took time and effort for the developer to make, despite knowing that most people will probably never notice.

Here's an example:

In Metroid Prime, the different weapons are presented on the visor by different hand gesture icons. Apparently, Samus changes the weapons of her hand canon using different hand gestures.

Well, she does indeed. If you use the X-Ray visor and aim at a dark spot, not only you can see her hand inside the cannon, you can even see her move her fingers and doing different gestures as you change weapons.

Good luck beating the above example.

I'm glad to finally come across a gif of this!

jtb

Banned
Deus Ex. You can SAVE PAUL.

*bow*

It's embarrassing how a blocky, hideous nearly two decade old game shits on modern gaming, with its love of shooter/RPG hybrids.

This is a minor one, but in MGS2, once you get the sword, you can press a button to make all of its attacks non-lethal (Raiden hits people with the blunt side). However, if you stab someone with it, it's still lethal.

The soldiers in A Link to the Past have some surprisingly detailed AI. They're not just alerted if they see Link, they'll react to projectiles that enter their field of vision. They are also alerted by noises, for instance, should your boomerang miss it's target and hit the wall instead all nearby soldiers will be onto you in a second.
Not exactly hidden stuff, but I didn't notice any of it until someone pointed it out to me.

Mgs and GTA are kings for getting the little things right, which is why I hold gta5 and mgs2-3 in such high regard. In fact I'm a little surprised there isn't more focus on mgs3 in this thread, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember snake falling ill if you eat somensort of berries or fruit in the game and certain types of raw meat making him puke??

Oh AND OF COURSE how smoking is detrimental for your health if you smoke in any of the mgs games. I remember codec conversations taking place when smoking and how you would get scolded for smoking.

Uncharted takes the cake too:

https://youtu.be/eZlfFx4QP1o

The beams bending when he holds onto to them are fucking insane!

In Uncharted 4, there are a few times where you're moving from location to location via a jeep. The area is a giant playground and you can get out of the jeep at any point. During this part of the game, Sam and Sully will talk about their past. If you jump out of the jeep mid-conversation, the characters will notice this and stop talking. Whenever you get back, they'll say something like. "So what was I saying? Oh yeah: when I was younger..."

It's a pretty cool way to prevent players from missing dialogue, and it sounds natural, too. I thought it was pretty cool. Another cool detail in this area are the moving clouds, which cast shadows on the environment.

I was really impressed how well his worked in the game.

royox

I'm playing the game for the first time and I was going to post this. It's AMAZING and made me think "WHY THIS ISN'T A THING?!?!?!!?"

Oxenfree perfected this.

fester

Banned
One that's always stuck in the memory: In Ultima VII, you can bake bread.

Yeah, people excited about prescription glasses and ice cubes as examples of "insane detail" kind of has me depressed for the state of gaming. In my mind it's superficial fluff. Back in 1992 we had NPCs with fully working daily schedules and the ability to interact with nearly every item in the game world. There's a timeline out there where Ultima VII inspired developers to take this design to new levels of technical ability, but we're not living in that one. Even Ultima's own sequels scaled back the detail more and more until they vomited out U9 as a desperate cry for help. :(

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I just finished playing through Fallout 4. The amount of detail and small minute things scattered throughout the world was altogether staggering and stunning. There are hundreds if not thousands of fully rendered objects that you can look at it with great detail. The texture work in this game is insane.

I loved to explore and find random details all around the world; a random hidden switch somewhere to open a hidden panel, a skeleton with some psycho or jet hidden way off the beaten path, there are hundreds of examples. Oh... and all those instrument panels looked stunning with fully rendered buttons and text on them! Man I loved Fallout 4!

latest

And did anyone take the time to look inside a Vault-Tec lunchbox? Seriously... the detail... just wow....

maxresdefault.jpg

nkarafo

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time felt really detailed for its time, loved the little things like the giant pissed off skeletons that spawned at night if you killed enough of the small ones. Or the fishing mini-game where you could catch the owners toupee or get called out for gaming the system.
OOT was one of the most detailed games when it was released. If not the most detailed.

Even today, it has many more "little things" compared to more recent Zelda games. It's filled with secrets and little touches that most people would never notice. It's also the only Zelda that has a lot of different idle animations depending on the location Link is standing or whether he is holding his sword or not.

I remember feeling disappointed in later "next gen" entries for having only one measly idle animation. It felt like those games pared the details and extras back and focused only on what's needed.

Rellik

I'm playing Uncharted 4 now and the whole game is just full of crazy detail.

MGSV reflection too which shows the twist.

Top Bottom