• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mummy |OT| A New World of Gods and Monsters

Tom_Cody

I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I'm curious to hear how wider audiences will react. There were some tonal problems IMO.

Humor was alright, until
ghost johnson,
so annoying
I actually liked that element
shamelessly lifted from An American Werewolf in London though.

Sounds like Bob had a good time...

Welp. Now we know what ARMY OF DARKNESS would've been like if no one knew it was supposed to be funny.
This does a good job of describing my issues with the movie. The horror elements are very serious and un-self-aware. The characters never react with irony or gallows humor to the situations they are in. The horror and comedy elements don't blend well, though I liked each individually.

yodandy

How's the climax? Is it usual the blockbuster fare, i.e. CITY-WIDE DESTRUCTION, or something smaller in scale?

It's actually smaller in scale, the set pieces before it are larger than the finale, IIRC the finale is just Cruise & The Mummy duke-ing it out throwing punches in a cave.The only city wide destruction happens in the beginning when a small building in Iraq collapses,
and later in the film the generic "sandstorm with a face" happens in London.

What did you think of Sofia Boutella?

I liked her, I had to IMDB her after to see what she'd been in before and it made sense she was in seemingly more action heavy roles. Not sure if she did all the mo-cap for the mummy herself but she was very active this movie. She was creepily sexual towards Cruise this movie as she 'chose' him to become the vessel to bring evil into the world. She got on top of him and licked him probably 5 times.

Doeshe mummy swinging on chains look as terrible in the film as in the trailer?

Yes. Her climbing up them was somewhat freaky looking, but the swing down was a bit cheesy, thankfully what you see in the trailer is about the extent of that scene, it's very brief.

yodandy

Does the Mummy Lady survive the movie? The trailer looked pretty bad to me, but I thought she looked cool

I think it's ambiguous? Most likely dead though.

From what I can take away, she ends up pretty much in the same state as she was in the beginning,
mummified, sealed away, but without a crazy evil curse making her immortal. The 'evil' that she made a deal with to become immortal is transferred to Cruise, who now has the ability to bring people back to life? He has the evil in him but Dr. Jekyll wants him to 'use it for good'.

She ends up shriveled up and dead I think. Her body is then taken back to Dr. Jekyll's facility where she is sealed away, but the heavy ending exposition makes it obvious she could easily come back as 'evil never stops sleeping for long' (though they were likely referring to Cruise.)

I'm a bit fuzzy on ALL The details as I saw this in the front row, towards the end, and in shitty 3d at a bad angle.

-shadow-

I remember watching The Mummy Returns in a cinema in Egypt when I must've been ten years old or so. I remember having an absolute blast despite my English being the absolute bare minimum that was required. The action was hilarious and I remember having a good time so that didn't matter that the subtitles were in Arabic. Will probably watch this one eventually in the cinema here in town if I'm bored one day. I find a lot to look terrible, but still might have some redeeming factors.

Still the best, need to add this trailer to the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI0MGrwqb6w

I am so happy that we have an isolated version of that scream! :'D

All I know about it is that Rachel Weisz (wisely) refused to turn up for it, so they replaced her with Maria Bello.

Wasn't she pregnant while they were shooting this film? Could be a smart decision since it required quite a lot of physical stuff.

Toa TAK

Banned
Man, that DID suck. Fuck. Guess the Cruise Missile was off course on this one.

First thing, the "Dark Universe" logo got some shrugs and one confused open palm forward (from the small group of us in the theater). The whole ritual with Set makes no sense, especially after the way it's resolved. Once the movie gets to Pridigium (spelling ?) it feels like everything just flies. There's a brief fight with Hyde which felt like it was set up only minutes before along with plenty of exposition that he might as well be reading a textbook. Cruise couldn't carry this one, and Boutella's Mummy has some weak ass characterization with an even lamer self-justification for her murders (wanted her father's love so he kills him and his kid? Gimmie a fuckin break). Plus, the face in the sandstorm thing was done way better in the Summer movies.

Movie was weaksauce. The latest Pirates was a much more enjoyable flick than this. I'll give it one thing, I really do like the design of the Mummy herself. Nice compromise between going full rotten corpse of Summer's Mummy and the original's bandaged look. Also, there's something to be said about how cool the imagery, however brief, of an Egyptian Mummy Princess surrounded by undead Crusaders.

I guess when it comes to the recent Universal Monster output:

Dracula Untold
The Wolfman
The cold, bottom burnt scraps of the popcorn that was left at the concession stand.

The Mummy

Also, did anyone else catch the Book of the Dead from the Summer's movie in this? That was the coolest easter egg in this thing.

Great, thanks!

For reference
bQVF6h.gif

I'm 100% okay with Universal bringing back their classic monsters. I think gothic monsters will always have an appeal.

What is questionable is bringing them back as superhero action films. Really bizarre choice, and Tom Cruise is the wrong person to lead this. Cut the budget a bit and make this a creative, scary film and people would have loved it.

Also, no Kurtzman, Orci, or any of those fools.

Toa TAK

Banned
Listening to the Mummy 99's soundtrack right now, man it had so much personality and fun to it.
Yeah. Tyler's score can't beat it (but let's be honest, few can beat Goldsmith anyways) but listening to it on its own, it's good. The score is over 2 hours, but there is a lot of good stuff in there.

The movie stumbles right out of the gate with the Mummy's motivations. Both Karloff and Vosloo's Mummies were driven by wanting to reunite with a lost love. Boutella's Ahmanet is a power hungry baby* murderer who made a deal with Death; there's no tragedy to her story.

and they just had to show the blood splashing on her face twice

Also the
Crusaders buried with the stone and the dagger hidden in an abbey
plot points make zero sense besides being convenient ways to set the last half of the movie in England.

Also, did anyone else catch the Book of the Dead from the Summer's movie in this? That was the coolest easter egg in this thing.

Yeah that was a nice touch. I don't know if it was deliberate but the shots of the ravens perching on the wires and rooftops when the sarcophagus was raised from the tomb seemed straight out of The Birds.

HiiiLife

I thought it was alright. The lack of chair throwing is only made up for with
mummy swimmers.

Rotten tomatoes was a lie. This and Baywatch > Wonderwoman.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Suggest title change to "Mods and Gonesters"

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Movie was pretty fun till THE DARK UNIVERSE. Said it in the other thread, it was a blend of The Mummy and American Werewolf in Paris. Which I thought was pretty fun. Was enjoying myself

Then THE REST OF THE FILM IS ABOUT THE DARK UNIVERSE. EVIL MUST BATTLE EVIL. THE DARK UNIVERSE. DID WE MENTION THE DARK UNIVERSE? THE DARK UNIVERSE

Magwik

Banned
Movie was pretty fun till THE DARK UNIVERSE. Said it in the other thread, it was a blend of The Mummy and American Werewolf in Paris. Which I thought was pretty fun. Was enjoying myself

Then THE REST OF THE FILM IS ABOUT THE DARK UNIVERSE. EVIL MUST BATTLE EVIL. THE DARK UNIVERSE. DID WE MENTION THE DARK UNIVERSE? THE DARK UNIVERSE
Shoulda just built off of Dracula

HiiiLife

So what is this leading up to? A giant battle between mummies, wolves and vampires? Is Van Helsing making an appearance?

zeemumu

Kind of crazy that people still think the Fraser remakes/reboots were the originals.

Yeah. I mean it's part of the pantheon of Universal Movie Monsters with Wolfman, Invisible Man, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.

universal-monsters.jpg

I never treated the Fraser ones as remakes. They're so drastically different in style and tone that I considered them to be their own things.

So, I'm not going to see this ever, so I want something spoiled for me. I read on twitter that the ending is... well, (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING?)

Tom Cruise defeats the mummy by figuritivel or metaphorically or literally raping/fucking the mummy to death? what? is that a gross exaggeration or something?

Toa TAK

Banned
So, I'm not going to see this ever, so I want something spoiled for me. I read on twitter that the ending is... well, (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING?)

Tom Cruise defeats the mummy by figuritivel or metaphorically or literally raping/fucking the mummy to death? what? is that a gross exaggeration or something?
What the fuck?

No.

killroy87

For the first half of this movie, you could pretend you're watching an Uncharted movie, and the resemblance is uncanny.

Overall, I thought it was okay. The last act was definitely the roughest, but I think the reviews hammered my expectations down just low enough for me to enjoy it.

I just really, really enjoy Tom Cruise. No matter how bad the material, the man commits. I'm actively impressed whenever I watch him on screen, doubly so in a movie like this, that does nothing to deserve the charisma he's delivering.

BajiBoxer

Banned

Uhh... no. Not even close.
He basically stabs himself bringing Set into his body, then sucks out her life force.

HiiiLife

L
O
L

scarlet

For the first half of this movie, you could pretend you're watching an Uncharted movie, and the resemblance is uncanny.

Overall, I thought it was okay. The last act was definitely the roughest, but I think the reviews hammered my expectations down just low enough for me to enjoy it.

I just really, really enjoy Tom Cruise. No matter how bad the material, the man commits. I'm actively impressed whenever I watch him on screen, doubly so in a movie like this, that does nothing to deserve the charisma he's delivering.

My thought as well.

Kurtzman had zero knack for writing, and we let him direct a movie with the Cruise missile to star in a terrible cinematic universe? Whoa.

duckroll

This was not a good film. It wasn't a bad film. It was a nothing film. Tom Cruise does his best pulling his weight in yet another totally mundane time waster with no passion, no vision, and no unique content. On par with Jack Reacher 2.

And no, he does not throw a chair in this movie. Confirmed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
There were things I actually liked about this movie. It was funnier than I expected it to be, but the humor just dropped in at the worst moments. I'm perfectly okay with a movie trying to shift between tones. But The Mummy gave me whiplash. You'd get an emotionally​ tense moment, then a horror one, then comedic relief all in less than a minute.

It also over explains itself for whatever reason...like this shit isn't that deep or out there. We don't need narration, then exposition dumps, then flashback/visions.

You can tell this is a script that was fiddled with a lot, probably by multiple people. It doesn't have a voice. It's more sterile than anything, and when it isn't sterile it's just weird. I think it's fun to watch it you're into screenwriting, just so you can see a project stumble over itself. "Oh, here is a good horror moment. Maybe we can ruin it with a flat joke."

Qvoth

Just finished
I can't in good conscience give this anything higher than 7/10
Quite messy imo, not sure how to explain

Jaraghan

This was not a good film. It wasn't a bad film. It was a nothing film.
That's a terrific description. My friend and I had the same sentiment. We boh agreed that the entire movie our faces never moved or showed emotion. We weren't invested into anything, and ultimately couldn't care less about any of it.

Toa TAK

Banned

I wanted to go back to this now that I've seen the actual tweet itself, and in a way he kinda does? To be honest I completely blanked out on how
he actually defeats her but yeah, he does just kinda grabs her head and gives her the kiss of death.
So yeah, she ain't wrong.

Top Bottom