• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nanking Massacre By the Imperial Japanase was the worst war crime in WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinokill

From Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

The Nanking Massacre or Nanjing Massacre, also known as the Rape of Nanking or Rape of Nanjing, was an episode during the Second Sino-Japanese War of mass murder and mass rape by Japanese troops against the residents of Nanjing (then spelled Nanking), then capital of the Republic of China. The massacre occurred over six weeks starting December 13, 1937, the day that the Japanese captured Nanjing. During this period, soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army murdered an estimated 40,000 to over 300,000 Chinese civilians and disarmed combatants, and perpetrated widespread rape and looting.

Case 5 of John Magee's film: on December 13, 1937, about 30 Japanese soldiers murdered all but two of 11 Chinese in the house at No. 5 Xinlukou. A woman and her two teenaged daughters were raped, and Japanese soldiers rammed a bottle and a cane into her vagina. An eight-year-old girl was stabbed, but she and her younger sister survived. They were found alive two weeks after the killings by an elderly woman.

The International Military Tribunal for the Far East estimated that, in a addition to infants and the elderly, 20,000 women were raped.[47] A large portion of these rapes were systematized in a process in which soldiers would go from door to door, searching for girls, with many women being captured and gang raped.[48] The women were often killed immediately after being raped

Perhaps the most notorious atrocity was a killing contest between two Japanese officers as reported in the Tokyo Nichi Nichi Shimbun and the English language Japan Advertiser. The contest — a race between the two officers to see which could kill 100 people first using only a sword — was covered much like a sporting event with regular updates on the score over a series of days.

Google The Nanking Massacre and you will see some fucked up shit.

As a native of Nanjing, I agree it's messed up.

But is the "worst" tag really needed here?

Nah I think I'm gonna stick with dropping two atomic fucking bombs on them. There's fucked up, then there's that.

Yet no one cares about what the allies did to Dresden. When you start comparing atrocities on a relative scale, you do a disservice to the victims.

Chichikov

I don't think it's particularly useful to rank the atrocities committed in World War II, but yeah, The rape of Nanjing was fucking terrible, as was the Japanese occupation of China as a whole.

Fuck imperial Japan and fuck its apologists.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Worst warcrime in terms of deaths ? Or by what was done specifically to the people ? Because between the holocaust, two atomic bombs, the treatment of alot of the russian people during WW2 by stalin, and german experiments and treatment theres some pretty fucked up competition.

Nanking was fucked up, just amazing that during those fews years that there could be so much example of pure bloody destruction from almost all sides.

Mussah92

fuck. i should not have googled that..

Just seen a soldier holding up a baby by the end of his gun....FUCK

No, I'm gonna go with the atomic bombs.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think would of happened if they hadn't dropped the atomic bombs? The firebombing (Technically more devastating than the Atom bombs) wasn't going to stop anytime soon, and the fighting wasn't really winding down.

Since no asked

WWII atrocities ranked

1. Einsatzgruppen squads
2. Unit 731
3. The Final Solution
4. Dr. Josef Mengele experiments
5. Tokyo Firebombings.

No need to declare it the worst but certainly one of the least recognised, there are popular Japanese politicians who still won't admit it happened. One won 25% of the youth vote in a Tokyo election, wtf.

Dinokill

You can't compare this with the atomic bombs. The atomic bombs served a purpose whether you agree or not. You tell me what was the purpose of raping and killing civilians for basically fun.

antonz

The Holocaust is always going to be #1 for WWII.

As Jeevesmeister pointed out the Russians were monsters with how they treated the Germans and pretty much everyone else in the final days of the war and the aftermath. Russia never viewed itself as a liberating power but a Conquering one and Conqueror's get to enjoy the spoils of their conquest.

Up to 2 million women in Germany are estimated to have been raped. 200,000+ died in connection with their rape. They would rape women "liberated" from concentration camps.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This was recent in the news as the Japanese government was denying that such event has happened and that their was no evidence of it happening.

The Japanese government really doesn't want to admit to its war crime and their level of censorship about this makes me worry about the younger generation growing up in Japan.

Also does anybody knows why Japan decided to side with the Nazi when in WW 1 they on the allied force side?

Glass Rebel

Just out of curiosity, what do you think would of happened if they hadn't dropped the atomic bombs? The firebombing (Technically more devastating than the Atom bombs) wasn't going to stop anytime soon, and the fighting wasn't really winding down.

ifUCJGa.png
you really don't want to go down this path breh

Ozigizo

Since no asked

WWII atrocities ranked

1. Einsatzgruppen squads
2. Unit 731
3. The Final Solution
4. Dr. Josef Mengele experiments
5. Tokyo Firebombings.

Why are we rating these? If there was ever something that didn't been to be ranked, it's probably these things.

Yagharek

I don't think it's particularly useful to rank the atrocities committed in World War II, but yeah, The rape of Nanjing was fucking terrible, as was the Japanese occupation of China as a whole.

Fuck imperial Japan and fuck its apologists.

I agree with this. WW2 is an indictment on the ability of humans to do horrible things to each other.

We should respect the horrible events and learn from them, not rank them.

Nanking citizens suffered terribly and I hope these sorts of crimes don't keep occurring. They sadly do, however.

Helmholtz

Isn't this event considered pre-WW2? Nonetheless it is terrible, and I feel that a lot of North Americans don't even know about it.

What's with this recurring ranking of WW2 horrors? I get that people are excited to share new knowledge they weren't taught in high school but still

ED: This shit right here though:

This was recent in the news as the Japanese government was denying that such event has happened and that their was no evidence of it happening.

The Japanese government really doesn't want to admit to its war crime and their level of censorship about this makes me worry about the younger generation growing up in Japan.

Seems like this isn't gone over (at least in America) because of a combination of lingering remorse over the bombs and the event not directly involving America. Japan is on another level of denial with this too

cmWg8PA.gif

This will open a huge can of worms

ifUCJGa.png
you really don't want to go down this path breh

I don't, I just hate when people constantly bring that up in comparison with other horrible war crimes that served absolutely no purpose. Talk about the Fire Bombing sure, which was far far worse imo. But always bringing up the Atom Bombings just seems ignorant.

cmWg8PA.gif

This will open a huge can of worms

That gif never gets old, greatest thing to come out of that film.

Syncytia

Only if you are someone who thinks WWII was only confined to europe.

When I was younger my primary interest in history was WW2. As far as I remember, everything before is considered outside the scope of the "World War" and are pre-war events, even if they contributed to the outbreak of worldwide war and the build up of different alliances.

It was an amazingly terrible atrocity. But this is WW2. Nazi concentration camps, sieges of Russian cities that starved everyone, fire bombing cities, 2 atomic bomb drops on cities, etc. That war was a shit show across the globe. Hard to pick what was worst and not much point. We need to learn from it all. And never again.

Chichikov

Isn't this event considered pre-WW2? Nonetheless it is terrible, and I feel that a lot of North Americans don't even know about it.
Many historians believe that the Second Sino-Japanese War should actually mark the start of the 2nd World War.
But yeah, if you go by the standard definition of September 1st 1939 then this happened before the war broke.
You're not going to persuade anybody and it will just help people who love to steer any such discussion toward the victimization of Imperial Japan to do so.
It's a pointless exercise in frustration.

Hari Seldon

When I was younger my primary interest in history was WW2. As far as I remember, everything before is considered outside the scope of the "World War" and are pre-war events, even if they contributed to the outbreak of worldwide war and the build up of different alliances.

That is euro-centric nonsense. WWII started in 1931 period. If Japan never invaded China, then the US never embargoes Japan, and Japan never attacks the US, the US never gets involved at all, and Russia probably controls all of mainland Europe by 1945.

Oberon

Banned
Personally I think the worse crime of WW II would be not learning from it and allowing WWIII happening.

This may sound weird but I think a WW III would less of an "atrocious". Since it's all about the atomic bombs now. If all the nukes blow up, only a few would survive and would actually suffer through the consequences ( I probably just overly simplifying things here)

Log4Girlz

Sticking people in ovens, fire bombing, WW2 was pretty messed up. A true nightmare. At the very least we haven't had a WW3. You can pretty much thank the atomic bombs for that.

whipihguh

Banned
Legit question, how does this count as WW2?

Does WW2 not begin with Germany invading Poland?

That's the most accepted date. On the other hand, considering America's place in the war and how it entered in both the European and Pacific Theater after Imperial Japan's attack, one could argue that it began with Imperial Japan's first attacks, which would place the beginning of WWII at the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War in 1937, or even the invasion of Manchuria in 1931. So while those earlier dates aren't really accepted, it's proximity and relation to the established date usually causes it to be referenced and talked about in relation to WWII as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom