• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

Merc_

Dude makes videos with black people being lynched and you come in here and shit out a "his wife is black" excuse.

full

People seem to have a real hard time understanding that you can have a personal relationship with a black person and still be racist as fuck against black people. Even though the US has a long history of this shit and numerous examples of it.

AESplusF

Watch this and tell me that you don't realize that this is a parody or joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpwqLa2s95o

You have to be purposefully daft. You may not think it's funny (I don't) and a complete and utter waste of time, but I can't imagine coming away from this video and saying "wow this guy is an alt right leader!"

Exactly, and not a single poster has had the spine to come out and say hey you know what I haven't seen the video, I don't know anything about thatistheplan, all I did was read the Fader article.

Dude, you haven't even answered questions that were posted to you beyond finding the one other guy who agrees with you.

Solidarity in ignorance, I guess.

What question do you want answered please help me out? Also let me ask, have you honestly seen the videos in question/ or other videos from the channel in question?

JKM78613

Neo Member
Exactly, and not a single poster has had the spine to come out and say hey you know what I haven't seen the video, I don't know anything about thatistheplan, all I did was read the Fader article.

But how can you say that other posters should make this comment when you haven't actually looked deep inside their brains and know that that's the truth?

Terrell

To those claiming that he's joking and this is all "ironic":

If you can so easily run afoul of Poe's Law, you're doing it wrong and should just fucking stop already. Were his intentions entirely about parody, glad to see he realized that, albeit too late.

Ghazi

Thatistheplan has been using the meme format for at least a year and the channel was always prominently linked on theneedledrop. Why did it take an article by Fader for people to learn and get upset about this content? It seems like really unfortunate timing that the Fader article came out around the same time as Anthony nuking the channel, because almost all the videos on that channel were harmless or, at worst, just unfunny.

Ozigizo

What question do you want answered please help me out? Also let me ask, have you honestly seen the videos in question/ or other videos from the channel in question?

In what context is racism alright?

How was hanging out with Sargon ironic?

Fuck the videos than. You can conceivably excuse that just for him making dumb meme videos. That's what I did as a subscriber to his main channel but I only watched a few of the thatistheplan videos.

You can't excuse his appearances with multiple alt-right figures.

collige

Banned
Thatistheplan has been using the meme format for at least a year and the channel was always prominently linked on theneedledrop. Why did it take an article by Fader for people to learn and get upset about this content? It seems like really unfortunate timing that the Fader article came out around the same time as Anthony nuking the channel, because almost all the videos on that channel were harmless or, at worst, just unfunny.

If by "around the same time" you mean "right after the article dropped", sure.

Courage

What does the timing of it have to do with the content itself? Seems like a weird comment to make and deflects what the thread is actually about.

Anung

Un Rama
V0uUzGa.jpg

Apparently he was doing some sort of tour? and now it is canceled in select venues.

This makes the deletion of his meme YouTube page look way more reactionary to the news breaking than anything to do with monetisation.

I read that as two separate thoughts:

1. He does videos evocative of black people getting lynched
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vteP54F.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HMaFxmy.jpg[/img]

2. His videos are plastered with alt-right symbology
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/cKPK3el.jpg[/img]
That video wasn't about a black person being lynched, it was a piece of toilet paper he there into the air around his neck for a joke about suicide and he used the image.
I've seen the meme in other contexts, hes not joking about lynching, doesn't even show the full picture.
I guess it's all still just meant to be ironic, huh.
He performed his Cal Chuchesta parody album on the tour (which is actually funny) amongst other things, nothing nefarious, there's video from some of his show in Australia on YouTube.

Kaizer

Banned
He's not actually alt-right or racist, he was just fine making videos for all the alt-right, racist fans he had on /mu/ as long as he could earn money and have the videos themselves fly under the radar. Once he couldn't earn money and had a "hit piece" about it come out, he decided to stop making videos pandering to racists!

What a great guy, huh?

This sums up the problem pretty well. He's not alt-right, but he sure loved 'ironically' making money off of them.

Exactly, I don't think Fantano is secretly a Nazi or Klansman but I do believe he's a scummy opportunist. And in way, a guy that's willing to make bank over both sides of the spectrum is worse than an outright racist to me.

JKM78613

Neo Member
Glad to see and I hope more venues do similar

Echoplex also cancelled his date in Los Angeles. Also, if you try to buy tickets on his site, the touring company that managed him has removed him from their roster.

Hard lesson to learn, but them's the breaks Fantano.

Glad to see and I hope more venues do similar
Trying to ruin the livelihood of someone who's fairly progressive over a blatantly misleading hit piece is pathetic.
Your sort of witch hunt should have no place in the direction of the left, he's no Jontron or Pewdiepie.

Jombie

I remember him talking about a song Tim Heidecker wrote about 4chan and he got really defensive about it. Saying you can't dismiss all of poli 4chan, when anyone with a sane mind knows that place is an unequivocal cesspool of hate and ignorance. I never knew about the other channel, makes sense.

And yeah, anyone that believe he be deleted it out of anything other than panic are deluding themselves.

JKM78613

Neo Member
Trying to ruin the livelihood of someone who's fairly progressive over a blatantly misleading hit piece is pathetic.
Your sort of witch hunt should have no place in the direction of the left, he's no Jontron or Pewdiepie.

Maybe these events just weren't monetizing well to begin with and they just decided the drama wasn't worth it?

I hope dude learned his lesson, is properly contrite, and eventually is welcomed back into polite internet society. Because pushing back against and getting defensive about this kind of attention has turned more than one person who wasn't completely gone into a full-throated ally of the alt-right.

Assuming he's not completely gone already, of course.

Ozigizo

The second pic is of a black kid with a hand at his neck. As it is presented in the video, it could be seen as form of abuse, but saying that the image is evocative of lynching of black people is quite the leap, to say the least.

The first pic is, of course, unsavory. But in the full image(here ), the man is being "hung" by toilet paper. And that was part of the "joke" of the "Hopsin is the best rapper" video. Hopsin's fans are full of melodrama and angst.

Fantano courted a following of alt-right members partially via meme shitposting, not by inciting racial animus. There were tons of shitty memes in all his vids but they never targeted a specific ethnicity, or race in general.

I remember watching that video and being taken aback with the use of a racist Jew stereotype, and it was in part because it seemed to have come out of left field. It might have been the only use of racist imagery in all of his videos. Its use is inexcusable but if that's all the writer could dig up in his search then it serves to prove my point.

Also, I addressed the use of memes that use the n-word in a previous post in this thread; I'll repost that here:

It's a bit difficult to discuss images from these videos when they've been taken out of context and repurposed for the article's argument, and when the videos and the entire channel has been taken down. The videos I saw from the channel took stupid pictures and memes of people irrespective of race. The channel never specifically targeted black people or black musicians.

Again fails to even mention him being best buds with Sargon. Also, you too need to answer the question of "what context makes racism alright."

Also, it's hilarious that you stan for every piece of shit YouTuber.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Jombie

Does a guy that giggles while some asshole describes his rape / murder fantasy deserve to have a youtube "livelihood"?

I remember him talking about a song Tim Heidecker wrote about 4chan and he got really defensive about it. Saying you can't dismiss all of poli 4chan, when anyone with a sane mind knows that place is an unequivocal cesspool of hate and ignorance. I never knew about the other channel, makes sense.

And yeah, anyone that believe he be deleted it out of anything other than panic are deluding themselves.

"B-b-b-but it's all just jokes! His wife is black! Hit piece!"

Irnbru

Christ all the stanning in here is killing me eyes. The dude pandered to shitlords for cash. Whether he is racist or not or JUST JOKES BRUH. He did it. That's it. And when somebody pointed it out he buried it in the internet graveyard. so. Why you gotta hide your skeletons if you're not ?

Watch this and tell me that you don't realize that this is a parody or joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpwqLa2s95o

You have to be purposefully daft. You may not think it's funny (I don't) and a complete and utter waste of time, but I can't imagine coming away from this video and saying "wow this guy is an alt right leader!"

Reading this fader article really disappointed me as I actually liked the needledrop reviews alot even if I didn't always agree with him. (fuck his the weeknd reviews).

but I can't front, this video was actually funny and didn't seem alt right at all.

"if a rap came out 3 minutes ago and it was 3 minutes long, I already heard it 4 times" had me dead

but if he really is about that alt right life then fuck him.

People seem to have a real hard time understanding that you can have a personal relationship with a black person and still be racist as fuck against black people. Even though the US has a long history of this shit and numerous examples of it.

And guys who have girlfriends, regardless of race, can still hold fast to some pretty sexist views. I have a friend who is extremely anti-feminist and is progressively getting more and more alt-right. I thought he would chill out with that stuff once he got his first girlfriend and became happier and more content, but he still hold fast to that shit claiming that men get the most shit as a gender and that companies only hire women in prominent positions to "virtue signal." Having a girlfriend, black girlfriend, or even a same sex partner isn't a magical get out of jail free card for shitty views and practices.

Taking crime and punishment as an example, when I was growing up I got the impression that the right had a really stringent no-tolerance view of criminals. They should be dealt with people being locked up for as long as possible, possibly even killed, and no pampering or rehabilitation, everything is too good for them, they are criminal scum, they made their own bed type stuff. Traditional good vs evil, rooted in black and white and perhaps even religious values.

The left on the other hand were more about idealism, rehabilitation, rebuilding, tolerance, kindness, nuance, certainly not the death penalty. I always assumed this is a result of maybe a higher IQ and a better education to know that people weren't necessary good or evil so much, but more largely victims of circumstance, of upbringing, fucked up brain chemistry, etc. Think Tim McManus from HBO's Oz. Think Scandinavian prison model.

Of course the liberal left is generally what I'm going to side on with most issues, and being outraged, outspoken, indignant are all important tools, and apart of that. We don't want to wallow in a Trumpian nightmare for too long.

But I dunno, when I read all these people saying 'fuck that fucker, fucking piece of shit garbage, fuck him, ostracize him immediately, let him know what a cunt he is'. It's a bit of crazy over-reaction is it not? You think John Stewart says that to his conservative friends? Because I'm going to be John Stewart's conservative friends have more right wing leanings than this fantano guy doing meme-soup videos.

It all just reminds me a bit of the simplistic black and white logic of the baying ninnies spouting for mob justice that I would have always associated with the right. Where is the love, warmth, humor or shades of grey? Why all the bile and hate over the smallest transgression? If that fantano music review guy is now judged to be a piece of shit? Fuck, maybe I'm a piece of shit, maybe you are, are we all pieces of shit if this is the measure now?
What's the overreaction, to stop watching Fantano's content? Like, that's the smallest thing. No one is going out wanting to punch him, doxx him, slander him, or other attacking tactics employed by the alt right. This "so much for the tolerant left" angle you're going for is out of nowhere.

Don't know if you're a piece of shit, why don't you tell us what you've done? Have you courted the alt-right, too?

IrishNinja

damn, his hipster shit got tired ages ago (but ranking on Cudis weak output was always a good time), the rest of this makes dude full on garbage

YT was a mistake

Does a progressive person say this and features in a video against "SJWs" with other alt-right figures?
ETUER0O.gif

He uses offensive and racial humour just like Jontron and Pewdiepie, I don't see such a big difference. Please defend this.

cKPK3el.jpg

NastyBook

Fucking white supremacist shitbags ingraining themselves in our culture. Fucking culture vulturing neanderthal parasites.

Ozigizo

Does a progressive person say this and features in a video against "SJWs" with other alt-right figures?
ETUER0O.gif

He uses offensive and racial humour just like Jontron and Pewdiepie, I don't see such a big difference. Please defend this.

cKPK3el.jpg

Don't forget he accidently had a show with 2 prominent alt-right members, one of which featured an ironic take on raping and murdering someone. I'm sure there was context that we're missing, though.

Wait, so Fantano is a white supremacist now? Dude went for the low hanging alt right fruit in some of those videos and rode that 4chan meme train hard for no other reason than money. Racist? Probably not. Opportunist scumbag seems more likely. It’s crazy that all of these YouTube/internet “influencers” never feel like this shit will backfire on them.

The mentality in this thread is corrosive and will win you nothing in the long run, this is just hyper-moralizing/othering to an extreme level.
What are you hoping to gain by acting as though a person with literal average views and humor is a nazi, when Fantano and people like him are allies and can easily be turned towards taking stances away from the poisonous "anti-SJW" narratives?
This is really the good fight?
Come on.
I'm convinced most people on this thread are ignorant to him and just want to latch onto the anti-alt right YouTuber train when he's far from that, latching onto the preset anti-Fantano sentiments, or don't want to see anything other than what's put before them because that would require introspection or acknowledging that while Fantano has issues (which I've expressed by my lonesome in threads long before this), there are varying levels of harm and intent.
Don't forget he accidently had a show with 2 prominent alt-right members, one of which featured an ironic take on raping and murdering someone. I'm sure there was context that we're missing, though.
Would love to see where I didn't point out his connections with those two figures as an example of issues with him, in this thread, and in other threads long before this.
ETUER0O.gif

cKPK3el.jpg
Someone already blantly addressed the jew thing above and I already pointed out an example of him calling out antisemitism/Jewish stereotypes pages ago.
Fucking white supremacist shitbags ingraining themselves in our culture. Fucking culture vulturing neanderthal parasites.
Calm down.

Wait, so Fantano is a white supremacist now? Dude went for the low hanging alt right fruit in some of those videos and rode that 4chan meme train hard for no other reason than money. Racist? Probably not. Opportunist scumbag seems more likely. It’s crazy that all of these YouTube/internet “influencers” never feel like this shit will backfire on them.
He rode memes, memes that anyone ingrained in leftbook or sinilar places from simple liberal communities to communist havens, could tell you is the average youth humor, there's nothing intrinsically alt-right about it but for some reason any out of the spectrum memeing is now associated with them.

Top Bottom