• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

Gattsu25

Banned
There's no such image of a black person being lynched surrounded by Pepe faces in his videos or any screen cap.

You don't need to misrepresent the situation when there's plenty to criticize
I read that as two separate thoughts:

1. He does videos evocative of black people getting lynched
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/vteP54F.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/HMaFxmy.jpg[/img]

2. His videos are plastered with alt-right symbology
Code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/cKPK3el.jpg[/img]
As for Fantano's sanctimonious rejection of the n-word — while it's true that he doesn't say it out loud, it still figures prominently on thatistheplan. Case in point: a few weeks ago, Fantano released a video called ”DEEP FRIED MEME REVIEW." I won't try to explain the plot — something about summoning ”black meme magic" by burning a copy of Death Grips's album Exmilitary as an offering to Pepe the Frog — but the point is, several memes featuring the n-word appear throughout the clip. This doesn't require much complex analysis. Fantano thinks the n-word is funny, so he put it in his comedy video. His fans certainly got the message: dozens of comments on this video, and on many of his other videos, use the slur.

AESplusF

You've presented nothing to the discussion besides continuing to stan for a YouTuber.

Maybe you can explain the difference between being the alt-right and pandering to them.

People make mistakes and poor decisions, thatistheplan started before the term alt right was even coined, I wasn't a fan of the channel but I doubt you've watched much of it's content.

Maybe you should read the thread. Your argument is tired.

My argument is tired? Yours is non-existent.

Ozigizo

People make mistakes and poor decisions, thatistheplan started before the term alt right was even coined, I wasn't a fan of the channel but I doubt you've watched much of it's content.

It's almost like you keep making shit up. I'd think the image of a black man being lynched was universally racist before whatever term was "coined."

Try again.

AESplusF

It's almost like you keep making shit up. I'd think the image of a black man being lynched was universally racist before whatever term was "coined."

Try again.

Context "Try again"? I'm laughing, this is such a pitiful way to make an argument.

Gattsu25

Banned
There is a difference between being racist and making an offensive joke, if you don't understand that then you're not very smart.

PewDiePie is a different story.

To the target of that racism.. what is the difference?

To the racists in the audience thinking they have a new friend in solidarity.. what is the difference?

There is no difference is the answer.

AESplusF

Ah, and there's the "it's just a joke" line, right on time.

And a personal attack, oof.

And there's the sarcastic taunt and empty statement.

To the target of that racism.. what is the difference?

To the racists in the audience thinking they have a new friend in solidarity.. what is the difference?

There is no difference is the answer.

If we are talking about the inner workings of anthony fantano's mind and ultimately the nature of humanity, there is absolutely a difference. Why is everything so black-and-white?

Gattsu25

Banned

If we are talking about the inner workings of anthony fantano's mind and ultimately the nature of humanity, there is absolutely a difference. Why is everything so black-and-white?

We'll never know the inside of his mind. We'll never know the inside of most people's minds.

If we only determined what was racist by what the person's innermost thoughts are then we wouldn't even be sure if KKK Grand Wizards are really racist deep on the inside.

Instead, we judge people's actions.

We can measure that. We can determine that impact.

The results of his racist actions and statements emboldens other racists and puts down the victims of that racism. They're racist actions.

AESplusF

We'll never know the inside of his mind. We'll never know the inside of most people's minds.

If we only determined what was racist by what the person's innermost thoughts are then we wouldn't even be sure if KKK Grand Wizards are really racist deep on the inside.

Instead, we judge people's actions.

We can measure that. We can determine that impact.

Yes, but you're looking at just one instance among so many, if you actually watched any of his content you would know that his views, and the topics he chooses to discuss, are not that of a racist/alt-right person. Not remotely.

way to not answer the question

Be patient.

pigeon

Banned

What the fuck?

Why would I give a shit about the unknowable inner workings of a random alt-right guy?

Gattsu25

Banned
Yes, but you're looking at just one instance among so many, if you actually watched any of his content you would know that his views, and the topics he chooses to discuss, are not that of a racist/alt-right person.
What was the context for these?

Code:

Code:
As for Fantano's sanctimonious rejection of the n-word — while it's true that he doesn't say it out loud, it still figures prominently on thatistheplan. Case in point: a few weeks ago, Fantano released a video called ”DEEP FRIED MEME REVIEW." I won't try to explain the plot — something about summoning ”black meme magic" by burning a copy of Death Grips's album Exmilitary as an offering to Pepe the Frog — but the point is, several memes featuring the n-word appear throughout the clip. This doesn't require much complex analysis. Fantano thinks the n-word is funny, so he put it in his comedy video. His fans certainly got the message: dozens of comments on this video, and on many of his other videos, use the slur.

Ekai

Code:

2. His videos are plastered with alt-right symbology
Code:

I love how none of the people denying these facts have responded.

Honestly, I think he was just riding a trend like plenty of good hearted people sometimes do, you get on the bandwagon and then you realize you're surrounded by idiots and scumbags and you hop off.

tumblr_ncwc23Btg91tsunm8o1_500.gif

AESplusF

In what fucking context is lynching black people good?

I'm just asking a question I've only seen the one at the bottom, like I've said I wasn't really a fan of the channel. Also how about actually answering my question instead of assuming I'm trying to be snarky.

There is a difference between being racist and making an offensive joke, if you don't understand that then you're not very smart.

No. Jokes aren't meant to actually target the oppressed group. Jokes are funny when the oppressed group manages to get out of their oppression. Jokes are not funny when it's a regurgitation of things that actually happen to marginalized people. You punch up, not punch down.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
I'm just asking a question I've only seen the one at the bottom, like I've said I wasn't really a fan of the channel. Also how about actually answering my question instead of assuming I'm trying to be snarky.

if you ain't a fan of the channel why are you going to bat for it?

AESplusF

Having actually watched his videos on pretty much a daily basis for years, versus those of you who have only read the Fader article, I'm in a better position to make an argument than you.

if you ain't a fan of the channel why are you going to bat for it?

He has more than one channel, he had three actually before deleting thatistheplan (the channel in question).

Mutant

Actually I take it back, the youtube demonetization crisis is the perfect time to take down your problematic youtube channel right before there's media blowback.

Sianos

"not racist, but deliberately invokes and fosters racist attitudes for monetary gain"

HTown's quantum theory of racism strikes again

Vire

Didn't he attack that other alt right loser YouTuber and he campaigned for Bernie Sanders? His wife is also black from my undestanding.

I'm not going to stan for this guy, but this article seems like an unnecessary hit job.

Kusagari

He's not actually alt-right or racist, he was just fine making videos for all the alt-right, racist fans he had on /mu/ as long as he could earn money and have the videos themselves fly under the radar. Once he couldn't earn money and had a "hit piece" about it come out, he decided to stop making videos pandering to racists!

What a great guy, huh?

Ekai

Having actually watched his videos on pretty much a daily basis for years, versus those of you who have only read the Fader article, I'm in a better position to make an argument than you.

He has more than one channel, he had three actually before deleting thatistheplan (the channel in question).
Nah, have watched a lot of his stuff. Don't like him. Always expressed/gave off alt-right vibes.
That you're going to bat for videos featuring fucking lynchings says all I need to know about you here.

Sianos

Quoting my own personal heuristic for offensive jokes:

"here is my personal rule of thumb for offensive jokes

if the punchline of your joke is treating an offensive situation or caricature as inherently "funny", then you do not have a joke. i.e. an "asian joke" where the punchline is "lol asians have slanty eyes", a "black joke" where the punchline is "lol black people and their saggy pants", a "joke about women" where the punchline is "lol she got raped". you are not making a joke here, you are repeating a stereotype or hurtful situation as if it is inherently funny. this is mere regurgitation, the equivalent of comedic vomit.

(it's also fucking stupid, and usually the sort of people who make those "jokes" are the most sensitive of all whenever a stereotype involving them is invoked)

however, you can use offensive caricatures and situations in a joke to parody absurdity or make a larger point. for instance, key and peele have a skit about slavery where two black slaves up for auction who talked of how they refuse to be owned and will rebel so hard go on to become upset when they are passed up for what appear to be physically weaker slaves and insult the other slaves who were sold. the auctioneer acts haughtily apalled that they would say such rude things and then end the auction early. the two unsold slaves then take the fact that they were not sold as an insult and try to make sales pitches about themselves, finally resigning to "well i didn't want to be sold anyways". despite this skit being about an inherently offensive topic and having the potential to be taken the wrong way by shitty people to mean "lol look at these uppity blacks being mean to each other while the civilized white man disciplines them", this skit is funny because it subverts expectations and parodies an absurd situation. actual thought went into its construction, and it was funny before i explained it.

basically, an offensive caricature or situation should not be treated as inherently funny, but can be used to construct a joke that is funny."

Lois_Lane

Didn't he attack that other alt right loser YouTuber and he campaigned for Bernie Sanders? His wife is also black from my undestanding.

I'm not going to stan for this guy, but this article seems like an unnecessary hit job.
No!!!!!!!!!!
All because you have black spouse, friend, whatever does not mean you can't be racist. Milo Yianno has a black husband for godsake and Coulter, along with Tomi Fuckwad, have black partners.

Doomsayer

I mean, here's the thing. Whether he believed the things he said in those videos or not isn't the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that he was totally okay with making money off of people who actually believed them. Pandering to a terrible audience for monetary gain is a pretty bad look, especially when the assholes he's appealing to are alt-right fucks.

The dude isn't innocent.

I mean, here's the thing. Whether he believed the things he said in those videos or not isn't the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that he was totally okay with making money off of people who actually believed them. Pandering to a terrible audience for monetary gain is a pretty bad look, especially when the assholes he's appealing to are alt-right fucks.

The dude isn't innocent.

Thank you

Mutant

I don't think this article is enough to damn Fantano. Too much of it revolves around symbolism and stuff like not reacting appropriately at the terrible people he brought on the show. It's bad, but it rings as "second-hand" (even the imagery that's in his videos are not created by him but from some artist who goes by "Vaporrub Boy").) It would be a bad look for him if he was neutral everywhere else, but you got to remember that Fantano also has a "Leftist" youtube channel and on The Needle Drop has been respectful about music on LGBT and Minority issues. I don't think Fantano is a Nazi, but just a fake ass phony trying to appeal to as many people he views as "dogmatic" as possible regardless of who gets empowered or hurt, because as the article states, he values those types of audiences as viewers who'll keep coming back to his channels. There should be repercussions for his history with the alt-right, but I think it's too late now.

edit: I mean, the author didn't even point out that he LITERALLY SAID "N-WORD F-WORD" OUT LOUD WITH HIS OWN VOICE ON ONE OF HIS MOST POPULAR VIDEOS, DESPITE HIM SAYING HE HAS NEVER DONE IT BEFORE ON HIS "oh i'm a leftist now" YOUTUBE CHANNEL. And instead opted for "Well there's memes behind him that says a version of that word." Which, sure, adds to the overall palette of his shitty behavior, but it's "using a black person as a response image" tier evidence.

Dude makes videos with black people being lynched and you come in here and shit out a "his wife is black" excuse.

full

AESplusF

I don't think this article is enough to damn Fantano. Too much of it revolves around symbolism and stuff like not reacting appropriately at the terrible people he brought on the show. It's bad, but it rings as "second-hand" (even the imagery that's in his videos are not created by him but from someone who goes by "Vaporrub Boy).) It would be a bad look for him if he was neutral everywhere else, but you got to remember that Fantano also has a "Leftist" youtube channel and on The Needle Drop has been respectful about music on LGBT and Minority issues. I don't think Fantano is a Nazi, but just a fake ass phony trying to appeal to as many people he views as "dogmatic" as possible regardless of who gets empowered or hurt. There should be repercussions for his history with the alt-right, but I think it's too late now.

I agree with most of what you say here, I'd go further than say he's not a Nazi, because that much is obvious. I don't know if I'd call him a phony but he does try to maintain a neutral image by appealing to both sides. Politics aside, he's the most famous music critic out there and he's helped build careers for artists that he believes in.

Vire

Dude makes videos with black people being lynched and you come in here and shit out a "his wife is black" excuse.

full

I've watched enough of his videos on needledrop to know this dude is pretty progressive in all of his views pertaining to minorities, lbgt. But maybe this alternate channel makes him a bit of a hypocrite.He has "joke" characters on his main channel that consistently mock his music taste and I'm assuming that this character is another one of these charades.

But I mean the guy did MBDTF a 6, so maybe he is a dick afterall.

collige

Banned

Code:
"Evocative" is the keyword here. It's been a while since I've seen either of those vids and obviously we can't go back now since he's deleted, but the context was around parody the angsty/suicidal lyrics of XXXTentation and Hopsin specifically. We can argue whether that's in good taste, but I don't think referring to them as lynchings is accurate.

I ain't going to bat for anything related to Sargon though.

AESplusF

I've watched enough of his videos on needledrop to know this dude is pretty progressive in all of his views pertaining to minorities, lbgt. But maybe this alternate channel makes him a bit of a hypocrite.He has "joke" characters on his main channel that consistently mock his music taste and I'm assuming that this character is another one of these charades.

But I mean the guy did MBDTF a 6, so maybe he is a dick afterall.

That's the thing, just about everybody in your position agrees with you, the people you're arguing with you read the Fader article, don't waste your time.

MBDTF is at least a 7.

I honestly didn't realize this information... I can't mess with someone who can "joke" about this stuff. I've unsubscribed from his music channel.

Gutek

Doesn’t Mike Cernovich have a wife and a daughter? How can he be sexist?

Kthulhu

I'm not a fan of his reviews at all really, but if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the other channel just a tongue in cheek piss take of internet culture and memes?

Edit: read the article (shock), maybe I was wrong.

It was at first, or at least I thought so.

Top Bottom