• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Needle Drop pioneered music reviews. His other channel was for the alt-rights

Correct. That's not the point though. He is indeed doing more harm than good and should be held responsible for his shit decisions that no doubt encouraged the alt right despite it clearly being meant to mock them.
But as a person he isn't a racist.

I don't think the distinction is meaningful.

krazen

Getting hung up on whether he himself is alt-right is kind of missing the point, because factually he was creating videos which were basically indistinguishable from those created by alt-right people. Whether they were meant to be satirical, genuine or a cash grab doesn’t really matter - he made the videos and they propagated alt-right talking points.

Yup. And people bringing up his alt-right take downs believe they are defending him but its worse because he knows better. I have followed him around for years and to be honest, I am on the “not racist, he doing it for the clicks tho” side.

Problem is thats literally the MO that got us from harmless 4chan to today’s proudly triumphant nazi presense; something he knew but was like “Fuck it, lemmie get this money anyway”.

At least you can argue some alt-righters generally believe they are the “good” guys...this guy was intentionally trafficing in shit he knows is fucked up for cash.

Fevaweva

But my point is he has an audience who doesn't treat what he says as satire (and he does nothing to dissuade them). Which is exactly the same way you treated that post, only in their case it's much more dangerous.

That's why I was amused.

Like you literally took satire at face value while mocking the idea that anyone could take that satire at face value.
Does he though? Or is it people trying to emulate him but either taking it too far or just doing it poorly?

And it wasn't my intention to mock anyone.

Does he though? Or is it people trying to emulate him but either taking it too far or just doing it poorly?

And it wasn't my intention to mock anyone.

He hangs out with Sargon

He laughed why Hyde described his rape/abuse/disgruntlement/murder fantasy of Lena Dunham.

Yeah he does.

And again artists have responsibility, Chris Rock again saw that one of his routines was making things worse... so what did he do? He stopped doing the fucking routine.

m3k

im kinda surprised buttttt kindve not

i feel like the climate calls for a hard line on this sort of thing... you hang with the alt right you can get your work viewed in that light

his reviews on hiphop were unwanted and got too much exposure anyway

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The mental gymnastics people will use to defend their milkshake duck is fascinating.

Satire that can't be distinguished from what's it's allegedly making fun of is basically not satire.

It's like people seem to forget that the internet alt-right were almost all very left leaning before going extreme the other way. They don't hold the typical conservative views of most of the GOP. Their hot button issues are a completely different set than the christian right.

The mental gymnastics people will use to defend their milkshake duck is fascinating.

Satire that can't be distinguished from what's it's allegedly making fun of is basically not satire.

It's like people seem to forget that the internet alt-right were almost all very left leaning before going extreme the other way. They don't hold the typical conservative views of most of the GOP. Their hot button issues are a completely different set than the christian right.

It can pretty easily be distinguished from what it’s making fun of if you watch it and have a brain. Problem is most of the alt-right doesn’t.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I unsubbed.

Sucks cause nobody else on YouTube is really doing what he was doing to that extent for a lot of music that I like.

Yeah, I don't see the connection between a person who sincerely loves albums from Janelle Monae, Kendrick Lamar, Milo and other rather unapologetically black/feminist artists and some 4chan alt-right memelord. Like, he would almost necessarily have to be one or the other. I genuinely can't wrap my head around a person agreeing with an ideology that is basically generic brand white supremacy while also loving some very politically left-leaning albums and citing those political ideas as part of the reasons he appreciates said music. He regularly calls artists out for oversimplifying or generalizing issues to an extent that, on most topics, I'd say he has a solid grasp of the ideas and supports them. I really can't work out the ability for a person to be both who he is on Needledrop and the person he is on Thatistheplan.

I also don't want to be the person who gives a pass to someone just because I enjoy their content, but I honestly have a real hard time seeing the accusation here the way I do with someone like pewdiepie who's pretty obviously a racist asshole.
A white boy who used to try and bully and called me a coon a highschool loved ice cube, old school vintage ice cube so I'm lol'ing right now. African Americans are responsible for almost all mainstream vernacular traditions, we've always made music white people like, even back in the 60's segregation. Hang a negro and then go listen to Nina Simone.

Anung

Un Rama
"He's a liberal, he just panders to the alt-right, gets paid buy their ad-revenue and appears in videos and podcasts with prominent alt-righters"

That doesn't sound much better than if he was just alt-right. Hell, that might even be shittier.

I'm interested in seeing what he has to say. It would be nice if he addresses the points that hold weight but I imagine he'll double down like they always do.

Auctopus

He seemed like a fairly liberal guy based on some of his criticisms on how women are treated in music among other things. I think his opinions have shifted over the past few years at least a little bit. What matters more to me is if he still holds these views and supports them. Him deleting that channel without a second thought seems promising to me.

I'm not fully on board with what this article is spouting after following his main channel and smaller channels for years however, the reason that 'fantano' was deleted was because YouTube continually demonetised videos for seemingly no reason.

TheNeedleDrop and ThatIsThePlan are still active channels.

Ozigizo

Just another YouTuber with loose morals. I think we've moved past the point where calling something a joke suddenly makes it alright. I'm sorry that your YouTube hero is shit, but come the fuck on. Catering specifically to racists is as bad as being a racist.

The money was more important than whatever convictions he held, and that should say a lot about what kind of person he is.

nded

I see no functional difference between him personally having bigoted beliefs and being willing to directly profit from supporting bigotry.

Servbot24

Banned
OIEJVbM.jpg

Had no idea this guy had redpilled so hard. To immerse himself so deep in black culture and then go super hardcore alt-right is quite the trajectory.

No one ever loved Fantano though

(yes I'm sure there are people who actually do like his reviews)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No one ever loved Fantano though

(yes I'm sure there are people who actually do like his reviews)

Nobody else does comprehensive reviews like he does on YouTube especially in the genres he tends to lead into.

Wish there was someone else out there doing video reviews like he was doing. :/

I already bailed on him and unsubbed from the needle.

Eidan

If I had to guess, I’d say his response will simply discuss the reasons why he deleted the videos on the other channel (“YouTube monetization is making it hard for creators to get by!”) while avoiding discussing the content of that channel and the accusations of him pandering to, or being a card carrying member of, the alt-right.

If he mentions the content at all, he’ll say it’s all satirical, without actually saying who or what is being satirized.

Auctopus

If I had to guess, I'd say his response will simply discuss the reasons why he deleted the videos on the other channel (”YouTube monetization is making it hard for creators to get by!") while avoiding discussing the content of that channel and the accusations of him pandering to, or being a card carrying member of, the alt-right.

If he mentions the content at all, he'll say it's all satirical, without actually saying who or what is being satirized.

Whilst I don't want to be labelled some alt-right defender, how about you just wait until the video's uploaded before you try to word for word decide what it says?

Taking crime and punishment as an example, when I was growing up I got the impression that the right had a really stringent no-tolerance view of criminals. They should be dealt with people being locked up for as long as possible, possibly even killed, and no pampering or rehabilitation, everything is too good for them, they are criminal scum, they made their own bed type stuff. Traditional good vs evil, rooted in black and white and perhaps even religious values.

The left on the other hand were more about idealism, rehabilitation, rebuilding, tolerance, kindness, nuance, certainly not the death penalty. I always assumed this is a result of maybe a higher IQ and a better education to know that people weren't necessary good or evil so much, but more largely victims of circumstance, of upbringing, fucked up brain chemistry, etc. Think Tim McManus from HBO's Oz. Think Scandinavian prison model.

Of course the liberal left is generally what I'm going to side on with most issues, and being outraged, outspoken, indignant are all important tools, and apart of that. We don't want to wallow in a Trumpian nightmare for too long.

But I dunno, when I read all these people saying 'fuck that fucker, fucking piece of shit garbage, fuck him, ostracize him immediately, let him know what a cunt he is'. It's a bit of crazy over-reaction is it not? You think John Stewart says that to his conservative friends? Because I'm going to be John Stewart's conservative friends have more right wing leanings than this fantano guy doing meme-soup videos.

It all just reminds me a bit of the simplistic black and white logic of the baying ninnies spouting for mob justice that I would have always associated with the right. Where is the love, warmth, humor or shades of grey? Why all the bile and hate over the smallest transgression? If that fantano music review guy is now judged to be a piece of shit? Fuck, maybe I'm a piece of shit, maybe you are, are we all pieces of shit if this is the measure now?

Quixzlizx

I don't understand this. How can you stand for everything that is against the 'alt-right' and yet still be 'alt-right'?

As for Fantano, I always saw thatistheplan as a satire of the 4chan culture he was a part of and still has some connection to these days.

You're not doing your job correctly as a satirist if all of your fans are taking you at face value.

Because the article is trash and anyone buying what it's presenting is latching onto it because of the political climate or ignorance of his work and unwillingness to accept anything other than a hardline stance.
The legitimate points it has are obfuscated by a blatant personal issue with Fantano and deliberate misrepresentation of clearly satirical videos, and no, a video making fun of J Cole and playing into the anti-J Cole jokes and J Cole praise isn't obfuscated racism by any metric, neither is parroting irrational Xxxtentacion fan points.

Ekai

Because the article is trash and anyone buying what it's presenting is latching onto it because of the political climate or ignorance of his work and unwillingness to accept anything other than a hardline stance.
The legitimate points it has are obfuscated by a blatant personal issue with Fantano and deliberate misrepresentation of clearly satirical videos, and no, a video making fun of J Cole and playing into the anti-J Cole jokes and J Cole praise isn't obfuscated racism by any metric, neither is parroting irrational Xxxtentacion fan points.

No, Fantano clearly believes the shit he spews. I paid attention to his shit years ago. His continued pattern of behavior for spewing this bullshit is enough for me to confidently say he is all in on the alt-right. Or is okay with their money til YT "censors" him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4lFSq_Efzk

You're fine with this then, I take it?

Taking crime and punishment as an example, when I was growing up I got the impression that the right had a really stringent no-tolerance view of criminals. They should be dealt with people being locked up for as long as possible, possibly even killed, and no pampering or rehabilitation, everything is too good for them, they are criminal scum, they made their own bed type stuff. Traditional good vs evil, rooted in black and white and perhaps even religious values.

The left on the other hand were more about idealism, rehabilitation, rebuilding, tolerance, kindness, nuance, certainly not the death penalty. I always assumed this is a result of maybe a higher IQ and a better education to know that people weren't necessary good or evil so much, but more largely victims of circumstance, of upbringing, fucked up brain chemistry, etc. Think Tim McManus from HBO's Oz. Think Scandinavian prison model.

Of course the liberal left is generally what I'm going to side on with most issues, and being outraged, outspoken, indignant are all important tools, and apart of that. We don't want to wallow in a Trumpian nightmare for too long.

But I dunno, when I read all these people saying 'fuck that fucker, fucking piece of shit garbage, fuck him, ostracize him immediately, let him know what a cunt he is'. It's a bit of crazy over-reaction is it not? You think John Stewart says that to his conservative friends? Because I'm going to be John Stewart's conservative friends have more right wing leanings than this fantano guy doing meme-soup videos.

It all just reminds me a bit of the simplistic black and white logic of the baying ninnies spouting for mob justice that I would have always associated with the right. Where is the love, warmth, humor or shades of grey? Why all the bile and hate over the smallest transgression? If that fantano music review guy is now judged to be a piece of shit? Fuck, maybe I'm a piece of shit, maybe you are, are we all pieces of shit if this is the measure now?

What mob justice?

Nothing is going to happen to this dude.

And who gives a fuck who John Stewart hangs out with?

Besides Sargon and co aren't just run of the mill conservatives.

No, Fantano clearly believes the shit he spews. I paid attention tot his shit years ago. His continued pattern of behavior for spewing this bullshit is enough for me to confidentaly say he is all in on the alt-right. Or is okay with their money til YT "censors" him.
This article brings up his J Cole and Xxxtentacion video as some grand representation of racism and sexism, there's no possible belief that could be discerned from them, and the fact that this article claims that discredits it on every level.

Eidan

Whilst I don't want to be labelled some alt-right defender, how about you just wait until the video's uploaded before you try to word for word decide what it says?
If it makes you feel better, I hope I’m wrong. I did enjoy Fantano’s reviews.

Ekai

This article brings up his J Cole and Xxxtentacion video as some grand representation of racism and sexism, there's no possible belief that could be discerned from them, and the fact that this article claims that discredits it on every level.

....He does videos showcasing black men being lynched with Pepe's everywhere. RUFuckingSerious.Jpg.

LMAO.

This is the most elaborate "so much for the tolerant left" post I have ever read.

I'm actually not convinced you aren't trolling, but if this is genuine, then bravo.

You managed to squeeze in Crime and Punishment, Oz, Jon Stewart for some reason...? And mob justice. Whew. Was almost outta breath by the time I got to the end.

Yeah man, it feels wrong to label him a member of the alt-right, given his personal views are so far from that.

I don't know.

If you politically agree with 90% of what someone says and does but don't agree with that 10%, does that also put them in the same box as people infinitely worse than them?

And I watched that other channel, most of it is just dumb memes and ALL THE VIDEO EDITING.

This isn't like PDP to me simply because Fantano hasn't done anything even close to as awful as PDP, and Fantano and PDP have such drastically different political viewpoints on pretty much everything.

JKM78613

Neo Member
I'm not fully on board with what this article is spouting after following his main channel and smaller channels for years however, the reason that 'fantano' was deleted was because YouTube continually demonetised videos for seemingly no reason.

TheNeedleDrop and ThatIsThePlan are still active channels.

Wait, so you mean to tell us as someone who has followed him "for years" that you don't understand the difference between the "fantano" and "thatistheplan" channels? "fantano" is still alive and he posted a video on it 14 hours ago.

EVOL 100%

Is it really an overreaction though? It's not the same situation as in which James Rolfe is lambasted for making a video on why he isn't going to view the new Ghostbusters, it's a situation in which Fantano posted hours of alt-right garbage (whether it's 'satire' or not)

I'm not one for purity tests, and tend to take a more pragmatic view on politics - As long as it lets us win, shit, I'm not going to reject anybody for coming around and supporting a liberal cause.

But in today's political climate in which fucking Trump is in power, and where alt-right fuckwads are proliferating their garbage everywhere, somebody can't make a dedicated Youtube channel of alt-right bullshit and invite Nazis to just sit down and agree with whatever bullshit they're peddling.

At best, what Fantano is doing is grossly irresponsible. You can't hide behind the defence of 'satire' when the line is blurred enough that alt-right types flock to the channel, while liberals leave disgusted. If he was trying to make a point he was clearly failing at doing it.

Maybe the response video he makes would be an actual apology and a clear rejection of alt-right types. If he did that and went the extra mile to make a change, shit, at least he acknowledged he made a huge mistake and owned up to it.

But I'm not holding my breath. Time and time these people just end up doubling down and refuse to concede that they fucked up and take the L. Again, if he makes a clear apology, I'm back on board again.

Top Bottom