• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The first episode was a little to much like the thing they were mocking. Episode 3 is great.

RLM goes after "fake nerds" and spent how many episodes discussing how the new Ghostbusters movie sucks? Oftentimes they're barely above what they mock, sometimes arguably below.

Wigdogger

Frankly, it's refreshing to just see them eviscerate half of the shill YouTubers out there. It ain't mean when you're calling it like it is. Not to mention: this is a side piece of content they're doing. They probably didn't even think they'd keep doing it, but then again, there's probably never going to be a shortage of YouTube channels with biscuits over-hyping stuff.

Draper

RLM are just mean now. They're mean spirited. So very, very mean. At first it was fun, but now it is mean.

Too true. Can you link me to your Lego Set 3000 piece set for Marvel's Thor 2: The Dark World: Thor's Hammer unboxing again? I'll be sure to smash dat subscribe button.

RLM goes after "fake nerds" and spent how many episodes discussing how the new Ghostbusters movie sucks? Oftentimes they're barely above what they mock, sometimes arguably below.

Gaf always wants to die on the Ghostbuster hill.

I'm not even sure how the 2 things conflict.

Sapiens

Ladybusters: Answer the Call and JJ's New LucasWars are very, VERY sore nerves around here. Thant's a line you don't cross. You can activate Jake Lloyds mental illness one by one, but god forbid you trash the sacred cows.

Cheerilee

There's nothing wrong with liking the stuff they're spoofing. It's all in good fun in the end. Stuckman doesn't need your defense on this.

It's not about liking the people RLM is spoofing, it's about taking issue with one factor of Film Gob's explanation of RLM's joke, specifically Film Gob's out-of-left-field inclusion of a target that clearly does not fit the profile.

I don't know how anyone can watch the Stuckmann video that was included in Film Gob's mashup and come to the conclusion that it (or Stuckmann in general) has anything to do with RLM's Nerd Crew videos (or the Rich Evans Star Wars Droid masturbation video, since that one seems to have been included for no reason solely because Stuckmann once tried on a toy helmet).

Jay did a trailer reaction parody video once where he included an excessive amount of mid-sentence cuts and I said to myself "LOL, that's totally Stuckmann" (although I'm sure there are plenty of other Youtubers who do that too).

Fisty

Wait, so hating Ghostbusters 2016 makes you a fake nerd? Or is it the opposite? I'm so confused, I need to know where I stand since the movie was a steaming pile of a remake of one of the greatest comedies of all time

Blobbers

I once back to back watched a nerd crew episode and a legit loot crate unboxing video when they both appeared in my feed. it was funny going from fake unboxing captain america wieners and batman pills to the legit loot crate unboxing that contained a Doctor Strange apron.

Real Hero

well it did suck and even if it didn't how would that make them 'fake' nerds

Chozoman

Banned

3 videos related to the new Ghostbusters:
1 - Trailer Reaction
2 - Half in the Bag review
3 - Science Man explains

Doesn't seem like an inordinate number of videos to me, but then again, I love RLM. *Shrug*

Fisty

3 videos related to the new Ghostbusters:
1 - Trailer Reaction
2 - Half in the Bag review
3 - Science Man explains

Doesn't seem like an inordinate number of videos to me, but then again, I love RLM. *Shrug*

For them, that is. But it's only because they were "accused" of being caught up in the hate campaign pre-launch. They were adamant about the reason for their cynicism, so when the movie actually came out and was a soft turd, they were quick to "told ya so" about it, which they'd earned imo

I just really don't care for their parody stuff. I just like them being themselves. BotW and HitB is basically all I bother with.

I probably would like pre-rec if iI had the time to get around to watch it.

Fisty

I just really don't care for their parody stuff. I just like them being themselves. BotW and HitB is basically all I bother with.

I probably would like pre-rec if iI had the time to get around to watch it.

I can't be mad at someone who's wearing their BIM mark. Gotta have SPEED!

nomis

RLM are just mean now. They're mean spirited. So very, very mean. At first it was fun, but now it is mean.

Awe did they make it so you get an existential crisis when you stare at all of your expensive plastic crap? That sucks

Ayyyyyy lmao you were being /s!

Anth0ny

I once back to back watched a nerd crew episode and a legit loot crate unboxing video when they both appeared in my feed. it was funny going from fake unboxing captain america wieners and batman pills to the legit loot crate unboxing that contained a Doctor Strange apron.

those comparison videos are incredible

I think on the RLM nerd crew Mike said you can get a nerd box for the low, low price of "$69.95 a month"

turns out there are actual $100/month Marvel loot boxes out there. it's fucked.

those comparison videos are incredible

I think on the RLM nerd crew Mike said you can get a nerd box for the low, low price of "$69.95 a month"

turns out there are actual $100/month Marvel loot boxes out there. it's fucked.

I had no idea how much I loved Marvel until it became commercially viable.

nomis

He was just being silly.

KOBoQG.gif

s_mirage

Googling Nendoroids, they are in fact just as ugly as funko pops.

Got to disagree with you. Nendoroids can be cute, Funko Pops are dead eyed monstrosities. Nendoroids have multiple faces for different expressions, accessories, and are somewhat poseable. They have some character and you can customize the way yours looks. That's why they cost more. Pops are usually boring and expressionless, and yours will look and be posed exactly the same as everyone else's.

Awe did they make it so you get an existential crisis when you stare at all of your expensive plastic crap? That sucks

Ayyyyyy lmao you were being /s!

It's hard to have an existential crisis when you have all of this expensive plastic crap that contains the also expensive medication for my CRIPPLING DIABETES!

They are going after corporate shills and compromised fan boys that gush over every little piece of material released. In episode 3 they are receiving texts and phone calls to post reaction videos of Spider-man Homecoming and Jay says shit there are already 36,000 reaction videos posted, we're too late.

From what I can see is they did a "serious" half in the bag review of Ghostbusters, which I feel like they are good at. They have one mock trailer reaction and the scientist man video. The scientist man video was about the whole trailer controversy where the Ghostbuster's producers attributed 100% of the down votes to misogyny.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just goes to show if you number your products and release them in a series, you will sell it to people who just collect useless cheap crap because of collectors mentality
I gave up collecting long ago. Too expensive. I buy what appeals to me. Only Amiibo of characters I care about when I can spare a few bucks. I only own a Toon Link Nendoroid because my brother bought it for me. I'd buy more if I saw a character I like (Luigi) and could afford it at the time. But I wouldn't touch a Funko Pop. Doesn't matter what character it is, they still look like boring ass shit. I'd rather collect Beanie Babies. Because at least they have character.

Me personally, I actually really like Nerd Crew so far. I think the joke won't run out for a couple more episodes, since if you look at all the episodes they've released so far, each one has pretty much covered and satirized a different element of "Nerd Culture".

Episode 1 satirized review shows that let their fanboyism and close relations with studios affect their reviews (a bit like paid review events in gaming).

Episode 2 satirized trailer hype at the start, before brutally ripping into Lootcrate and unboxing videos.

Episode 3 is my least favourite, since I think it's an expansion of the satire in the first part of Episode 2, and strays too close to familiar territory, focusing on trailer hype and over-enthusiastic reactions to trailers. It also criticizes DC and Zack Snyder, along with the constant rush of trailers.

Episode 4 satirizes the increasing commercialization of "Nerd Culture" by taking it to the extreme and presenting completely over-the-top "nerd" products like Nerd Coffin and Nerd Life, sort of like how GTA series does satire.

They're just mean for the sake of being mean.

I'm being sarcastic

I was actually going to ask you whether your previous post was satire when I first saw it, but I wasn't able to since I was at work at the time. I got the inkling there was more to it since you used the word 'mean' 4 times in 4 sentences, and there was the whole thing about them being 'mean' on the page before (And apparently they're hypocrites. How?) So your very cool, very cool satire wasn't lost on everyone.

Chozoman

Banned
why are you lying? that is a more than usual amount for them

Easy, man. I ran a search on their site and those were the 3 videos that came up. If there are more, they don't show up in search queries.

For example, there are 10 video related to "The Force Awakens". Again, 3 doesn't seem like an inordinate number of videos for what was supposed to be a major tent pole release. *Shrug again*

why are you lying? that is a more than usual amount for them
Oh what fucking ever

For boyhood they had like multiple videos they mocked them with the meme particularly after audience reacting negatively against them when it was nominated for Oscars. They even separated the "it took 12 years" and made it into its own video so people watched it separately.

For rogue one they also spend multiple videos mocking and having fun after fan reaction.

Same for Ghostbusters. You see a pattern? When they receive backlash they tend to double down and continue the jokes. Without the backlash they wouldn't do this. But their fans love the cynical shit.

The fact that people are getting worked up in this thread over satire is exactly why RLM should keep doing it.

I love that they are going after sell outs. Sassy RLM is the best RLM.

I mean no one had a problem when the did it to Adam Sandler. Plus Nerdalert and others are ripe for parody.

The fact that people are getting worked up in this thread over satire is exactly why RLM should keep doing it.

I love that they are going after sell outs. Sassy RLM is the best RLM.

I mean no one had a problem when the did it to Adam Sandler. Plus Nerdalert and others are ripe for parody.
I wouldn't mind if the sponsorship stuff took like a minute of people saying "this show is sponsored by Casper, go visit Casper and type in Boobies to get 50 dollars off your next mattress"

But no, so many fucking shows then need to spend like 5 minutes trying to make jokes or tell a long fucking set up/story for their sponsored content and I'm just annoyed and skip through a podcast until that shit is over. Either put it at the beginning or at the end, not in the middle.

I wouldn't mind if the sponsorship stuff took like a minute of people saying "this show is sponsored by Casper, go visit Casper and type in Boobies to get 50 dollars off your next mattress"

But no, so many fucking shows then need to spend like 5 minutes trying to make jokes or tell a long fucking set up/story for their sponsored content and I'm just annoyed and skip through a podcast until that shit is over. Either put it at the beginning or at the end, not in the middle.

Same here. It's tough enough to make money online, if you get a sponsor, go pimp it out, just don't spend a chunk of time talking about it.

So...no acknowledgment of the info I presented, or attempt to make amends for calling me a liar, huh? "Morally superior" indeed.

Wasnt worth acknowledging. Star Wars is what founded their channel. Of course it has the most videos. Ghostbusters received an unusual amount of coverage compared to most films that get a 1-and-done HitB review. One of those videos happened to include calling Leslie Jones racist harassment campaign a media exaggeration ... or not since its all ironic...or not because they're post-ironic and are criticizing through irony...or not Wait what

Or they have entire videos dedicated to unboxing shit which is basically just infomercials.

I was actually going to ask you whether your previous post was satire when I first saw it, but I wasn't able to since I was at work at the time. I got the inkling there was more to it since you used the word 'mean' 4 times in 4 sentences, and there was the whole thing about them being 'mean' on the page before (And apparently they're hypocrites. How?) So your very cool, very cool satire wasn't lost on everyone.
Very cool. Very very cool.

For me personally, I like the Nerd Crew because they are parodying the useless and seemingly endless speculation arising from the overanalyzation of teasers and trailers. So many want to be the one want to be the one who correctly predict the upcoming plot for whatever reason. They pore through every single frame of the teaser to get just to get more clues so they can be an expert on the lore of Star Wars.

Cheerilee

Wasnt worth acknowledging. Star Wars is what founded their channel. Of course it has the most videos. Ghostbusters received an unusual amount of coverage compared to most films that get a 1-and-done HitB review. One of those videos happened to include calling Leslie Jones racist harassment campaign a media exaggeration ... or not since its all ironic...or not because they're post-ironic and are criticizing through irony...or not Wait what

RLM pointed out that a terribly unfunny trailer which stepped on people's childhood memories became the most downvoted youtube video of all time, at which point Sony's marketing department jumped in and began deleting waves of mildly negative comments while leaving horrible misogyny untouched (sculpting and highlighting the comments section on a massively unpopular video into a wave of positive comments with some few sparks of misogyny), and created the narrative of the new Ghostbusters being hated for being female, throwing gasoline on a fire and calling feminists to come to the movie's aid.

There's no question that Leslie Jones was attacked by racists on twitter, but Sony is the one who emboldened them to do that, and those racists played right into Sony's hands. When you have Dan Aykroyd appearing on Entertainment Tonight explaining that she was attacked by millions of fat, balding Klansmen, then it's safe to say there was an element of media exaggeration involved.

Also, you need to look up "inordinate" in the dictionary and then apologize to Chozoman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom