• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nerd Crew: A Pop Culture Podcast by Red Letter Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

At first i was confused at a 15 minute podcast then i became upset when i realized it wasn't a podcast and just expected it to be a half ass satire video but after those 30 seconds passed i just started laughing.

Geek Crate and nerd box slayed me.

I'm torn because I love this takedown of corny geek variety show stuff but god they're so, so mad people didn't like their Rogue One review and I really feel like they're digging the hole even deeper
It doesn't really seem like they're mad about their own review. If anything maybe they're mad at the way the rest of "geekdom" has taken to the movie? I dunno. Honestly I don't really care either way because this episode was hilarious. They can do as much Rogue One stuff as they want for all I care if it serves as a platform for more takedowns of similar things.
I applauded it for being different. It broke new ground.
Lmao.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
"I give it an 8/10, though it's a much much better movie than TFA, which I gave a 9/10"

Man this is great. XD

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Satire doesn't get much more perfect than this.

I also recognized Mike and Jay from online exclusive show Half in the Bag as well! Sometimes that giant pile of horseshit sometimes guest stars too!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
At which point do you think they realized Rich was going to hit the TIE fighter every few seconds while filming and decided to just roll with it?

Or was it deliberate?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's similar to their hate for Ghostbusters/defense of the man-babbies who already hated it before knowing anything besides it having women. They're obsessing over it. : /

I'll watch this later but haven't been too impressed with their output lately.

Or their Boyhood coverage.

They seem to enjoy egging on fanbases.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I adore RLM. I watched the first minutes of their original Rogue One review, disagreed with every word they said, turned it off and moved on with my life. I didn't watch the two Plinkett videos either.

This video was funny, though.

I guess I'm just glad I apparently am immune to getting played by YouTubers.

How do they stop themselves busting out laughing? Nerd box, haha. Perfectly done champ.
There were a few moments where Rich was either really close to laughing or having a stroke, but Jay's a master of the super serious face.

And that official Star Wars merchandise, what a beautiful vista!

God damn it, that sounds so familiar...

the-most-insane-my-little-pony-deviantart-piece-12619-1326149843-1.jpg
WTF?
At which point do you think they realized Rich was going to hit the TIE fighter every few seconds while filming and decided to just roll with it?

Or was it deliberate?
Knowing how Mike loves trolling Rich I think it was deliberate.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I totally agree with you. Me personally, I give it a 9 out of 10. Sure, there were tiny issues you could nitpick about it, but for the vistas alone, I'd say it's better and more important than every other Star Wars video.

Did you love the video? I'm not sure if you mentioned that already

Brakke

Banned
The secret best joke is dude constantly bumping his head on the TIE Fighter, even when the camera isn't on him.

The secret best joke is dude constantly bumping his head on the TIE Fighter, even when the camera isn't on him.
Somehow I missed that damn thing bouncing around the first time I watched it (probably laughing too hard). Now I'm rewatching it and just noticed it dangling around and I'm dying all over again.

munchie64

I don't even hate the types of "podcasts" they're making fun of, but they capture the fucking tone and overall blandness of those type of things to a T.

nomis

I'm torn because I love this takedown of corny geek variety show stuff but god they're so, so mad people didn't like their Rogue One review and I really feel like they're digging the hole even deeper

They're not "mad" that people watched their review and said "wow I don't know what movie they watched because I really was attached to the characters" or even "wow I acknowledge all their points as fair but still loved the movie by sheer volume of nostalgia", they're rightfully miffed that a bunch of automaton franchise fanboys in the comments tried to make out as though something was WRONG with them. Did I love my time watching Rogue One? Yes. Do I think it would have been a far better movie if it had incorporated some ideas the guys spitballed on Half in the Bag? Also yes.

Garou

I thought this video wasn't actually about Rogue One, but rather about Internet-fandom and online-backlash for potentially controversial opinions. And soulless podcasts!

Yukinari

Any video that has Rich Evans laugh at something automatically makes it worth watching.

Wonder what will happen when episode 8 is out.

platakul

Banned
I don't think they're mad about anything.

They like poking fun at sore spots.

Ya. Also its a fairly routine comic bit to push something way to far past the expiration date. IMO they should still be slipping in inappropriate ghostbuster digs for no reason

Stalk

Some of the statements like that were just so bizarre that I have to wonder if Mike was directly quoting a fan.

It was probably something from social media when they posted up the first Plinkett video. I saw some real doozers.

Then again that was nothing compared to the person at the pub that tried to argue that Jedha was a "perfect analogy for Syria" to me.

Need to rewatch this video since I put it on to do stuff and the more quiet audio made me miss most bits. Seems sound though, normally enjoy RLM stuff even if they can be a bit ott sometimes hah.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is this going to be a continuing series or just a one-off? There's so much to mine here and they barely scratched the surface but definitely had some amazing jokes in this one and they'd probably do an even better job if they stepped back a little to mock "nerd culture" media/consumerism in this format rather than just be more focused on Rogue One/Star Wars.

nomis

Is this going to be a continuing series or just a one-off? There's so much to mine here and they barely scratched the surface but definitely had some amazing jokes in this one and they'd probably do an even better job if they stepped back a little to mock "nerd culture" media/consumerism in this format rather than just be more focused on Rogue One/Star Wars.

But the satire in this video was already so dense, every frame just had so many things going on

I'm not sure if they could keep up this quality level over an extended series tbh

Kurita

That was pretty funny.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, but I agree with one of their complaints : I wish we'd move away from all the characters/lore from the past movies. I don't really care for the Empire/Rebellion/Vader/Skywalker etc... anymore. Give me something that's not tied to that.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
This was funny satire (even though, I, personally, loved Rogue One) but it's a dangerous hole to go down when YouTubers start spending their time talking to the most stupid part of their audience, so I hope this doesn't become too much of a thing for them.

Even if it's cathartic to see internet stupids getting dressed down, ultimately videos like this are an extended version of the embarrassing "remember, it's just my opinion, guys" line so many YouTubers feel obliged to say. It lowers the quality of the discussion and ignores the audience that's actually worth engaging with.

I'd much prefer if every critic I follow just acted like the people who don't understand the nature of criticism didn't exist. You don't see established critics outside of YouTube wasting effort on people who will never bother to engage with any thought. I get they're loud, any annoying, but it's just noise. Stupid, stupid noise.

They can keep on eviscerating Geek CultureTM though, I'll never tire of that.

Really? I think they're rolling with it just fine. They're playing to their audience and their non-viewers at the same time.

They're heelin it up and I think a lot of us love it.

Maybe there's a side I'm missing but what's wrong with having a sponsor as a YouTube channel?

Overall though, I've really enjoyed all of these Rogue One videos.

I believe its a dig at lootcrate who seems from the podcasts I listen to are like predatory about getting every "Nerd" show. also its a bit about the commercialization of nerd or geek culture

Geek crate, Nerd box, I've never gotten a lootcrate but I assume its big appeal is like with trading cards, where you don't know what your going to get and if it will even be good or worth it.

Maybe there's a side I'm missing but what's wrong with having a sponsor as a YouTube channel?

Overall though, I've really enjoyed all of these Rogue One videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom