• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYEL1NER

Speaking of space games, have any of you played REX (the "Dune remake")? I was listening to them talk about it on the SUSD podcast, and it sounded pretty cool. I've never played Dune, nor will I probably ever get the chance to, but like TI3, it seems to be one of board gaming's featured games (though it could just be that it's because the game is rare)
I haven't played it yet. A while back though a seller on eBay had a copy he was going to let go for a really good price and I started looking into the game. It looked pretty good; I definitely liked what I was seeing. That it plays in less time than Twilight Imperium is definitely a plus. The game and components look pretty; more than several reviews speak highly of the artwork and the attention to theme that the game displays. That it requires three people minimum, like Twilight, is about the only thing I see that takes it down a slight peg for me (but that is only because I really only have one dedicated person who will game with me, so I am all about games that play with two).
I am kicking myself for not getting it when I had the chance. After I get my hands on a third edition Alien Frontiers (or possibly second, I need to go to Firefly Games in Columbo, SC and see which edition their copy is, because I don't want the fourth edition) and Eclipse, REX will be the next space-themed game I pick up.

Karkador

Banned
Actually, looking at the game info for REX now, I did not realize it was a FFG re-theme set in the Twilight Imperium universe, lol. So that's why the talk of TI3 reminded me of REX...the space lion should have tipped me off.

Keasar

Whelp, I've ordered Twilight Imperium. And I've convinced people to play it soon. There will be all the bits on the table for all the hours.

Prepare lunch and dinner ahead and also make sure everyone got somewhere to sleep.

One of the best boardgames ever, just takes a really, really, really long time to play. Don't make the mistake I did and marathon it togheter with 6 other people. Took us 10-11 hours to finish (with me, Emperor of Humanity, victorious).

Speaking of space games, have any of you played REX (the "Dune remake")? I was listening to them talk about it on the SUSD podcast, and it sounded pretty cool. I've never played Dune, nor will I probably ever get the chance to, but like TI3, it seems to be one of board gaming's featured games (though it could just be that it's because the game is rare)

Really liked Rex, and yea it plays pretty quick and easy. Has little to do with TI outside the lore aspect but it fits kinda well with the type of game they created. The manual actually has a bunch of lore also.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Caveat: I haven't played them yet, but Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall are both full expansions with complete campaigns, four heroes each, and more monsters... but cost a bit more. Of the two, I hear Shadow has more varied and interesting encounters.

Lair of the Wyrm and The Trollfens are mini expansions with two heroes each and a couple new monster types each. They have rules for adding encounters into your base campaign.

The Dice Tower put out reviews of each expansion last week on YouTube, so I'd check those videos out to get an idea of the new mechanics, components, heroes and monsters.

Nice, will watch those reviews.

Whelp, I've ordered Twilight Imperium. And I've convinced people to play it soon. There will be all the bits on the table for all the hours.

Above all else, make sure you have a decent grasp of the rules and everythin is set up before they get there, lol. TI can be a long game that is like... triple the length if you are looking at ruling the entire time or take forever to set out.

ultron87

Most fun you can have on a table.

Prepare lunch and dinner ahead and also make sure everyone got somewhere to sleep.

One of the best boardgames ever, just takes a really, really, really long time to play. Don't make the mistake I did and marathon it togheter with 6 other people. Took us 10-11 hours to finish (with me, Emperor of Humanity, victorious).

I'm super excited for it. And everyone is well aware what they've signed up for. Starting a bit before lunch and we'll probably just order pizza or something and maybe take a break for dinner.

Above all else, make sure you have a decent grasp of the rules and everythin is set up before they get there, lol. TI can be a long game that is like... triple the length if you are looking at ruling the entire time or take forever to set out.

It is a few weeks till we're going to actually play because some people are out of town, so I'll definitely have time to run a solo game and get the rules down. It looks like there are some good reference sheets and whatnot online that will also help folks.

I haven't decided which of the strategy cards I wanna use. I definitely will at least be using the alternate Imperial card, because it sounds really boring that the original 'score two points' card is essentially an auto pick. But I've heard a lot of good things about the expansion strategy cards in general. I'm just not sure whether I should stick with the originals for a game with newbies and use those to spice things up in the future.

I'll probably also use one of the preset board set ups for the first game instead of having us build the galaxy. Because doing some big fundamental set up thing like that is the worst when you don't actually know the game.

sasimirobot

I seriously don't know what happened to me. I wish I had never seen this thread in my life. I have purchased the following games online, from only viewing this thread for the first time 3 weeks ago. Have only played 2 of them, because most are in the mail.Please stop me...

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic
Pandemic on the Brink exp.

I seriously don't know what happened to me. I wish I had never seen this thread in my life. I have purchased the following games online, from only viewing this thread for the first time 3 weeks ago. Have only played 2 of them, because most are in the mail.Please stop me...

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic

One of us! One of us! One of us!

(I recently got the microbadge on BGG for owning more than 100 games)

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic

If you are like me, you will reach a point where you reach critical mass for games in both space required to store them and time needed to play all of them. My purchasing slowed way, way down (especially after I stopped kickstarting things). That said I still have a boatload of games including ones I've never played (War of the Ring: I'm looking at you).

AcridMeat

Banned

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic
Sound like me around October/September last year. Thank goodness I did a major cleaning of my room and I've got nice room in my closet for storage of these games.

I'm close to buying Hanuk or Hanabi, whyyy.

sasimirobot

I'm buying expansions to games I don't even own though...It would be like buying a wii-mote plus before owning the game that needs it. This stopped me dead in my tracks from buying console games...I'm not ready dudes, hold my hand...

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm buying expansions to games I don't even own though...It would be like buying a wii-mote plus before owning the game that needs it. This stopped me dead in my tracks from buying console games...I'm not ready dudes, hold my hand...
Haha, well are they standalone expansions? I bought Ascension: Rise of Vigil without ever playing the standard game.

The problem now is having the people for these games.

Experien

Checked my local le target for Marvel Dice Masters Starter Sets...they had boosters but that's it. The lady who stocks that section said she doesn't think it has come in but they are getting product on Thursday so check then/this weekend.

felipeko

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic
I feel you. I started on january, and being brazilian it's kinda of an expensive hobby for me (i usually pay double or more of the price because of shipping, and some times plus $20-50 more because of taxes)... Still, i got more than 20 games (half are card games), and have more on the way.

I'm glad my job gave me a raise last month.

Faiz

Checked my local le target for Marvel Dice Masters Starter Sets...they had boosters but that's it. The lady who stocks that section said she doesn't think it has come in but they are getting product on Thursday so check then/this weekend.

Been checking here (Louisville, Ky) and haven't even seen the boosters in Target yet. Was hoping to get some games going at my comic shop on FCBD this week but probably giving up on that idea.

Neverfade

If anyone finds Marvel Dice Master sets locally and is feeling charitable enough, consider me on the list of persons who will pay you to acquire a copy.

joelseph

My 2 favorite dudes to date

fkIKxBl.jpg

African Priestess is good at keeping their sidekicks at bay on a early stalled board. She is also good at recovering from an unfavorable position in a pinch.

Tiger is to protect against Punisher type effects.

Experien

Been checking here (Louisville, Ky) and haven't even seen the boosters in Target yet. Was hoping to get some games going at my comic shop on FCBD this week but probably giving up on that idea.

My nearest le target didn't have anything but I went to a bigger one and their booster as pretty full. It was in the front by the registers on the long wall.

At least I got an uncommon Colossus.

Faiz

So what's the over/under on being too late to preorder a copy of Caverna from CSI? I'm betting they will be allocated and not be able to fill pre-orders.

On the other hand I've got a bunch of Amazon gift cards that would pay for it, but not sure I want the risk/wait for Amazon to actually stock it.

EYEL1NER

Ticket to Ride (have)
Love Letter (have)
Hanabi
T2R 1910 exp.
Targi
Jaipur
Pandemic
Tell me about it. Between seeing games here, the general forums on BGG, and the Hot Deals subforum on BGG, I am buying new games faster than I can open them, let alone play them. Here is my profile on BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/EYEL1NER. Everything on there minus Carcassonne has been bought since the beginning of the year.

Stopped at Minature Market again today on the way back to the East Coast. My adoration of Love Letter caused me to buy both the Five Rings and Kanai LE versions. The dent/ding section didn't have as much for me as it did last time, but the talk about K2 recently made me grab that for 80% off. Slightly damaged box and I walked away with it for $20.

Karkador

Banned
Saw some people at my local FLGS today opening entire booster boxes of Marvel Dice Masters. Gotta admit, I almost caught a little bit of the mania. Almost.

Icefire1424

Tell me about it. Between seeing games here, the general forums on BGG, and the Hot Deals subforum on BGG, I am buying new games faster than I can open them, let alone play them.

Wait, there's a Hot Deals subforum on BGG? This is news...

*Crosses fingers for something Axis and Allies, Descent or Star Wars minis...

Any experience of Escape: The Curse of the Temple?
I am very interested in their Big Box expansion Kickstarter since Shut Up & Sit Down recommended it so much. Kinda weighing between it and Among the Stars.

It's simply crazy fun, but you can get most of it already in stores at discounted price. Kickstarter is just for a few extras. All of which are just optional pieces like all the expansion materials. I wouldn't play the game also with everything, as it starts to over complicate what is a simple game. You essentially just want to use one or two extras at a time and swap out expansion stuff. Base game already comes with 2 expansion modules, and you get 4 more with the 2 already released expansions.

Keasar

It's simply crazy fun, but you can get most of it already in stores at discounted price. Kickstarter is just for a few extras. All of which are just optional pieces like all the expansion materials. I wouldn't play the game also with everything, as it starts to over complicate what is a simple game. You essentially just want to use one or two extras at a time and swap out expansion stuff. Base game already comes with 2 expansion modules, and you get 4 more with the 2 already released expansions.

The base game here in Sweden costs 374 kronor (~58 USD) at its lowest. So 89 USD (583 kronor) for the big box wouldn't be that much more considering what is included. Still got a week anyway to decide, but it just looked insane when being played so its hard to stay away. :p

Experien

Any experience of Escape: The Curse of the Temple?
I am very interested in their Big Box expansion Kickstarter since Shut Up & Sit Down recommended it so much. Kinda weighing between it and Among the Stars.

As pointed out to me, unless you are really hyped on all the extras for Among the Stars, Stronghold games will be doing pre-orders for the game in June I believe. Everything offered in the KS will be available and possibly cheaper with pre-order discounts.

Keasar

As pointed out to me, unless you are really hyped on all the extras for Among the Stars, Stronghold games will be doing pre-orders for the game in June I believe. Everything offered in the KS will be available and possibly cheaper with pre-order discounts.

Stronghold games was publishing in America, I am European. :p

Experien

Stronghold games was publishing in America, I am European. :p

Guess the yokes on my face...

If you are deciding between the two, just ask if you want/need a chaos driven game or not. My play experiences was pretty chaotic. I had fun but I didn't see it as something I'd replay a lot. Among the Stars seems like something with strategy and am very interested in...so I am biased.

ultron87

Escape is really great as a game to open with since it only lasts ten minutes and you can play it as people arrive. I don't think I could ever play more than two or three games in a row though, because it can be a pretty intense experience if you are really into it. I definitely like having it in my collection as an option for a great change of pace.

It isn't my favorite real time dice rolling game, that's Space Cadets: Dice Duel, but Escape is so much easier to get to the table.

Icefire1424

After perusing my Amazon wishlist, I think I need to make a move on one of the games that has been sitting there for entirely too long. Someone sell me on one of the following:

Axis and Allies 1942 Second Edition
Star Wars Minis
Descent (2nd Edition)
Tide of Iron
Star Wars LCG - Hoth Cycle

Analysis paralysis, not just something that happens in game anymore!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
After perusing my Amazon wishlist, I think I need to make a move on one of the games that has been sitting there for entirely too long. Someone sell me on one of the following:

Star Wars Minis
Descent (2nd Edition)
Tide of Iron

I'm a big fan of Tide if Iron. The series was on the ropes but 1A Games came in and licensed it from FFG. They recently released the Stalingrad expansion and are on the cusp of reprinting the core game set (although if you can find the original printing you will be fine, plus the big box is great).

The components in the game are excellent and it has a solid rules set allowing for lots of variety. One of the complaints is that some scenarios are unbalanced, but 1A is reworking a lot of the original scenarios.

Beyond the base game there are 4 big box expansions and a scenario book.

EYEL1NER

Star Wars Minis
Descent (2nd Edition)
Tide of Iron

If you want Tide of Iron, let me ask you: Are you located near (or do you know anyone near) St. Louis?
I ask because they had Tide of Iron at Miniature Market when I was there yesterday. It was marked either $90 or $100 but was on the 50% off wall due to a slightly dinged box. I think they had multiples copies but not sure.
I had never heard of it, so I didn't buy it. I did look at the box back and at the component list and thought that it looked pretty impressive and assumed that half off was probably a really great deal. Pretty big box too, I thought 'This game had got to go for more than ~$50 to be this big.'

Icefire1424

I'm a big fan of Tide if Iron. The series was on the ropes but 1A Games came in and licensed it from FFG. They recently released the Stalingrad expansion and are on the cusp of reprinting the core game set (although if you can find the original printing you will be fine, plus the big box is great).

The components in the game are excellent and it has a solid rules set allowing for lots of variety. One of the complaints is that some scenarios are unbalanced, but 1A is reworking a lot of the original scenarios.

Beyond the base game there are 4 big box expansions and a scenario book.

The lack of balance is actually a non-issue. War isn't fair, why should a wargame based on an actual conflict be any different. Excellent feedback, thanks!

If you want Tide of Iron, let me ask you: Are you located near (or do you know anyone near) St. Louis?
I ask because they had Tide of Iron at Miniature Market when I was there yesterday. It was marked either $90 or $100 but was on the 50% off wall due to a slightly dinged box. I think they had multiples copies but not sure.
I had never heard of it, so I didn't buy it. I did look at the box back and at the component list and thought that it looked pretty impressive and assumed that half off was probably a really great deal. Pretty big box too, I thought 'This game had got to go for more than ~$50 to be this big.'

Nope, upstate NY. Just from feedback and reviews, Tide of Iron for $50 is a downright steal. If I could find it that cheap, I probably would've had it already. After playing vanilla Memoir '44, was looking for something a bit more "involved" - hence the Tide of Iron and A&A interest. If I had the time / money / space Flames of War would have also been on the short list, but with a newborn at home, all my free time is at a premium. Will have to make do with boardgames that take up less real estate...for now.

Apenheul

I think Escape is a love it or hate it game. You REALLY should try it out if you have any chance before buying.
I agree, it's the most polarizing game my group has played. I personally dislike it because there's not enough 'gameness' in it for me, while a friend of mine thinks it's one of the most fun games he's ever played.

Mista Koo

Add me to the people who want to buy everything.
Although till now I have only been buying filler/super light games. My gaming group have a lot of bigger games and usually there is always something new to play.

Now I only have a gaming group while I'm here in the states for school and I'm graduating in a year. The only people who play board games back home are people I meet a few times a year, definitely not worth investing in more expensive games.
I was gonna get Castles of Burgundy since it was pretty cheap but I missed both BN and Amazon sales. Probably for the best :(

I agree, it's the most polarizing game my group has played. I personally dislike it because there's not enough 'gameness' in it for me, while a friend of mine thinks it's one of the most fun games he's ever played.

Find it hard to hate when its a ten minute game. Its simple quick filler.

sasimirobot

shutupandsitdown.com is a great board game site!

I have seen some videos on youtube about board games, and having 2 geeky dudes with half ass neck beards review them doesn't help our cause.

These videos are, dare I say it, made by cool and interesting dudes. Probably helps that they are British, but I mean come on, the dude makes a tasty and refreshing cocktail in this one!

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/the-opener-pandemic/

I find that their schtick gets really old especially when I just want a quick and dirty review of a game. They also like some really weird things for really weird reasons.

Karkador

Banned
I find that their schtick gets really old especially when I just want a quick and dirty review of a game. They also like some really weird things for really weird reasons.

I find them to be very fun and their reviews are more about the feeling of playing games rather than putting individual game mechanics on a scale and being really stuffy about it. Like with any reviewer, their opinions aren't worth much if you don't have something in common with them.

I find them to be very fun and their reviews are more about the feeling of playing games rather than putting individual game mechanics on a scale and being really stuffy about it. Like with any reviewer, their opinions aren't worth much if you don't have something in common with them.

I agree 100% with you, but you could have fun playing Candyland if you are with the right people. I want to judge a game based on the mechanics because I'm experienced enough to know what certain players like and what certain players don't like. Those guys are just too much hype for me.

Classic example for me is Tales of the Arabian Nights. They make it look really fun, but I know for a fact that just about anybody I would try to play it with would hate it because it's more of a framework for storytelling than a game. The problem is, they don't tell you that in the review. They just make it seem like the most immersive gaming experience of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom