• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Var

I caved and bought a Marvel Dice starter off EBay for 30. I am sure I will regret it in a month or two when everywhere has them.

Phthisis

I'd love to hear a report/review about Star Realms if you don't mind! Supposedly it's a deckbuilder game in a sci-fi theme with combat involved, and compares favorably to Dominion/Ascension.

Since it's made by the guys who helped develop Ascension, it plays almost exactly like Ascension (except its combative rather than points based). I like it a lot. If you like Ascension, you'll like it. If you didn't, you probably won't. They copied a lot of the formula (four factions that specialize a certain play style and combo off their allies) while adding a lot of their own twist (some cards can be trashed for enhanced effects in addition to what they normally do; space stations can be used as defensive barriers against your opponent).

Haven't tried the multiplayer, multi-deck co-op raids or team play yet.

Was watching Concept being played on the Game Night Tabletop Day stream and it got me really interested to try it out. I feel like after the base game gets boring youcould just use Cards Against Humanity cards hah.

Neverfade

Thanks to Lurker Extraordinaire Bonethug, I got my Marvel Dice Masters starter. Traded away some unused shit taking up space to a guy on BGG for another starter which should be here tomorrow.

Also a CSI order incoming tomorrow with a MDM Gravity Feed, Lewis and Clark, Fairy Tale, Cheaty Mages (need to fill out that large group light game area of my collection!), and reluctantly, One Night Werewolf.

Then Thursday, I have an order from Game Surplus: ordered the party racer Camel Up and the card game Palastgefluster.

Going to be a busy game night.

Mista Koo

As a newbie in this thread, I think one thread is fine.

If you would like to advertise board gaming we can do an annual thread on the side. It would include best games of the year, GAF's top 10, any interesting board game related thing that happened that year, and of course a link to this thread.
Besides that I think a show like Tabletop or events like tabletop day deserve their own threads just for exposure.

But Carcassonne, Catan, TtR won't stop being recommended as entry-level classics
Would you still recommend Catan? A lot of people I know wouldn't :p

sasimirobot

"Hanabi" the game where your SO bitches to you for 30 minutes about how bad your memory is.

Such a weird game, the looks you get when you play it in bars...

fenners

Why in the world is that game $60?

Edit: Oh. Game Salute. /fart

Game Salute's new KS campaign... $45, for expected delivery in Fall 2015. It's a 108 card deck for the game BTW, expanding choices & offering up new actions/roles etc.

Yeesh.

Unrelated to GS, I haven't been able to get much gaming in thanks to life getting in the way (the joys of a funeral the other side of the Atlantic & E3). Did manage to trade away Twilight Imperium 3 locally to someone off BGG for a copy of Summoner Wars Master Set & some cash. Need to do something similar for Descent 1ed to get some shelf space back...

EYEL1NER

I myself have actually never played Catan. I just know that it is supposed to be one of 'those' games, the entry-level games the get people into the hobby.

Edit: Mista Koo, did you get two-day delivery in your Alien Frontiers? There are still 50+ copies and I am eager to see which edition you get.

Mista Koo

Just received Alien Frontiers (with the Factions expansion) and Forbidden Island. Can't wait to try them alongside Bang: the Dice Game this weekend (fun fact: I have a final exam on Monday :D).

Edit: Mista Koo, did you get two-day delivery in your Alien Frontiers? There are still 50+ copies and I am eager to see which edition you get.
Yep, 4th edition. The Amazon image shows a different edition.
Glad it's the 4th, these tuck boxes are sexy:

a5fMLYg.jpg

(Not my photo)

EYEL1NER

Just received Alien Frontiers (with the Factions expansion) and Forbidden Island. Can't wait to try them alongside Bang: the Dice Game this weekend (fun fact: I have a final exam on Monday :D).

Yep, 4th edition. The Amazon image shows a different edition.
Glad it's the 4th, these tuck boxes are sexy:

a5fMLYg.jpg

(Not my photo)

Thanks for the update on it. I started thinking it was going to be fourth and then spotted an auction on eBay for a fourth that I thought I should get (would have saved $10 over that Amazon price).
I might just pick it up and then try to beg/trade for the old pieces.

Icefire1424

Admission time - I've owned Catan for more than a year now, have yet to play it other than solo. Really want to get the wife into it, but as crazy as the last year has been, can never seem to find the time. Hopefully soon, it is pretty fun.

joelseph

Catan is worth owning simply because it is recognized by the non-gaming crowd. There is always a slim chance that someone will play Catan and nothing else. I do think that Ticket to Ride is coming close to the same cultural status and if you own TtR and are a good salesman or woman you can get by without owning Catan. The other game similar is Carcasonne, while an easy sell and teach, it can end flat.

Mista Koo

Catan is worth owning simply because it is recognized by the non-gaming crowd. There is always a slim chance that someone will play Catan and nothing else. I do think that Ticket to Ride is coming close to the same cultural status and if you own TtR and are a good salesman or woman you can get by without owning Catan. The other game similar is Carcasonne, while an easy sell and teach, it can end flat.
I don't own either, but I'm thinking of getting Ticket to Ride because it seems easier to teach to non-gamers and I think the theme would be more exciting.
Carcassone is a tricky one because it's super easy to teach but I still have trouble doing well in it.

ultron87

I think Catan is really good specifically as an intro to Eurogames. It gets you used to stuff like victory points, variable resources, and building up an economic engine as the game goes on. It is definitely more complex than Ticket to Ride though.

The base game of Catan is pretty dull for me at this point, just because I've played it so many times and there are only so many strategies, but I think it is still pretty solid with the Cities and Knights expansion.

I hate Catan. Like "I won't play it," hate it. It's so boring, and almost completely based on the dice roll once everyone knows how to play. There are literally hundreds of games that are just as easy if not easier to teach than Catan, and are more fun.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I think most of the AF chrome is pretty nice except for the ship dice. But ever since I got it I don't really play much AF anymore -- too much analysis paralysis especially in the lategame when you can do almost literally anything and it's just a matter of spending a few extra minutes on the puzzle of each roll in order to squeeze an extra point out.

Season 3 Zombicide teased, with so much CMON has yet to deliver to it's customers, but keep taking the money. Already said not going in on this one, I'm happy with the original base game.

Experien

Season 3 Zombicide teased, with so much CMON has yet to deliver to it's customers, but keep taking the money. Already said not going in on this one, I'm happy with the original base game.

I kind of wish I only had the base game. I bought a big nice box for all the editions so at least I have too many heroes to pick from and a TON of zombies to pile on the board!

I don't think there is a thing they could add to make it different...I mean I already got dogs and zombies dogs!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

More compelling maps could maybe get me into Season 3. Hopefully they are much better than the prison.

EYEL1NER

I don't know of any real problems with the updated components in Alien Frontiers. I just find those bubble pieces to be ugly and kind of cheap-looking. Funny to say that when comparing them to plain cheap wooden pieces, but I can't explain it.
I did see one other person who said they preferred the wooden pieces. He was on BGG and was saying he got the 4th edition and asked if there was a way to get wooden pieces because he preferred them. Someone related to the company or game I think came in and said provide his address and he would mail some out.

Karkador

Banned
There are several posts in there of people saying that stuff like Monopoly is still the best board game. I'm over shitting on Monopoly, but the point is that there are people on GAF who seem unaware that there is an entire world of games beyond those games, and I feel like the new thread should really try to reach out to those people.

There are several posts in there of people saying that stuff like Monopoly is still the best board game. I'm over shitting on Monopoly, but the point is that there are people on GAF who seem unaware that there is an entire world of games beyond those games, and I feel like the new thread should really try to reach out to those people.

But we'd still be in Community, not Off Topic.

ultron87

I'd think we could ask a mod if we can put the new thread in Off Topic for a month or whatever before it gets bumped back down to Community.

felipeko

My two cents about the new OP (being a newcomer):

I have entered this thread a few times last year, trying to find new games to play, and couldn't get past OP - mostly because of game names and cover - , it was only when i saw another thread (Best card games to play with friends?) that some games that sparked my interest (Bang, Saboteur, Avalon)... It looked like games i could play with my friends (i gather with at least 5 friends - and a lot of times around 10 - on the weekends), so i went on my quest to find more 'social' games like these, as time went by, i graduated from these games, as did some of my friends, and we are still working on the outer group.

Anyway... As i was looking for new games i had to learn a lot of new words used in boardgaming, but after checking a lot of games on BGG, i found that my pattern of liked games are: weight less than 3 with 5 or more players.

And i think that maybe, the OP would be be easier for newcomers if it had a simple classification of the games as light (containing time and player range), medium and heavy, with a brief description of what mechanics you can expect of the game. There's no need to explain the game on the OP, as it overwhelms the OP with text.

Mista Koo

We need to edit the OP regardless of whether we decide to make a thread or not. It's a bit outdated, too text heavy, and all the images are broken.
I would like to help whoever decides to make a new one. Also I'd suggest a group work on the games choices on categorization.

Angst

Maybe a game of the week feature would be helpful to newcomers? Discussions usually revolves around the current "hot" games and those are most likely not a good place to start a new hobby with.

After lots of research I got Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear! yesterday. Looking forward to playing it tonight! :)

Karkador

Banned
We need to edit the OP regardless of whether we decide to make a thread or not. It's a bit outdated, too text heavy, and all the images are broken.
I would like to help whoever decides to make a new one. Also I'd suggest a group work on the games choices on categorization.

I'm in the process of creating it. I've written some stuff, but yeah, help and input is very welcome. PM me

Ohnonono

Maybe a game of the week feature would be helpful to newcomers? Discussions usually revolves around the current "hot" games and those are most likely not a good place to start a new hobby with.

After lots of research I got Conflict of Heroes - Awakening the Bear! yesterday. Looking forward to playing it tonight! :)

That is a great game! Good pick!

Icefire1424

Thanks, one of the deciding factors were positive feedback here in this thread. Having read the rule book a few times now everything seems logical and it's not overly complicated.

Would love to read a write up if you were so inclined after you have a few games under your belt - always like to be aware of the wargames out there. :D

My wife stopped at a garage sale and found a slew of great condition board games for $1 each. Mystery Mansion, Survive!, Go For Broke, and lots more. Lots of cool stuff for the family to go over together later tonight.

Probably not the best time to do this, but here's a reminder for anyone in the bay area (or happens to be flying in to the bay area!).

A friend of mine is going to be hosting a prototype game hosting event called Protospiel San Jose for this coming Friday and weekend! Attendance will be free, snacks will be provided and there will be a chance to win prizes. The best part is 3 days to play some awesome games in development! Hope to see you there!

When: May 9th to May 11th

Where: Game Kastle (1350 Coleman Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050)

Also see: http://www.boardgamebuilders.com/

Probably not the best time to do this, but here's a reminder for anyone in the bay area (or happens to be flying in to the bay area!).

A friend of mine is going to be hosting a prototype game hosting event called Protospiel San Jose for this coming Friday and weekend! Attendance will be free, snacks will be provided and there will be a chance to win prizes. The best part is 3 days to play some awesome games in development! Hope to see you there!

When: May 9th to May 11th

Where: Game Kastle (1350 Coleman Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050)

Also see: http://www.boardgamebuilders.com/

See also: http://unpub.net/events/boardgame-builders/

There's one in my neck of the woods (East Coast) on June 21st: http://unpub.net/events/the-game-parlor/

Timeaisis

Hey, I never knew we had a boardgame thread! Hello, all!

Just played a new game yesterday, Cutthroat Caverns. It's Munchkin-like card-based dungeon crawl but borrows from MTG. Pretty fun!

Always on the lookout for some cool new multiplayer games. Currently on a Betrayal kick. Really want to try Puerto Rico, I keep hearing great things about it.

Icefire1424

Hey, I never knew we had a boardgame thread! Hello, all!

Welcome to the abyss. This is the where many lives and hundreds of dollars are lost in pursuit of gaming. A place where the mere mention of a new Kickstarter campaign or rarely played game result in an influx of purchases, often at the expense of ill-supported bookcase shelves already straining to carry the weight of a myriad of wargames, co-ops, and dungeon crawlers. We are the tortured, the obsessed, the passionate. And we welcome you among our ranks.

Chorazin

Played a game a Terra Mystica last night, pretty good worker placement game. It's heavy, but once you get the hang of it it flows pretty good.

A definite breeding ground for AP, so if your group runs into problems with that you might wanna bust out the egg timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom