• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Xbox One Experience Beta |OT| Beta tested in the future

mike4001_

This will never* happen now that they are on x64 hardware and finally on the unified kernel. Not only does it make sense for them to continue to build on what they have, and there isn't really any limitations software wise building on the "OneCore" kernel aka Windows 10, but starting over with an OS has been a mistake consoles have made for generations: takes years for feature parity with the old OS, makes backwards compatibility messy if even possible, etc.

I really do hope they can just use their current OS on their Next-Gen console. If they stick to the CPU/GPU manifacturer can could even achieve full backward compatibility and feature parity right from the start and then continue to build on that.

On a + side everything will work fast right from the start because of the faster hardware.

danowat

Banned
A few things are still broken.

1) controller battery charge meter

2) external HDD support, always notifies that external storage is ready on every boot, sort by recently used doesn't work.

3) edge is terribly buggy, apart from the black screen issue, the context menu from which you select open in new tab etc doesn't work.

Surprised how bad this update is considering how close to final release.

In all my years of preview program I've never had this many issues.

derFeef

2) external HDD support, always notifies that external storage is ready on every boot, sort by recently used doesn't work.

3) edge is terribly buggy, apart from the black screen issue, the context menu from which you select open in new tab etc doesn't work.

That does not read THAT bad unless it crashes all the time, which it does not (for me).
Honestly the very first console OS this generation had more bugs.

danowat

Banned
That does not read THAT bad unless it crashes all the time, which it does not (for me).

You're probably right, I guess it's just the first time, in memory, that I've had issues with anything on the xbox OS.

SURGEdude

That's outrageous. Now I have this big camera on top of my tv that doesn't do crap? If it was just going to be mic stuff they should have just put a mic in the controller like the amazon fire or Apple TV.

Yeah that's crazy if they seriously aren't gonna bring back gesture support. I rarely use it but at least it being available helps cushion the anger I feel everytime I remember MS shoved that peice of shit down us launch buyer's throats. I actually don't think I ever even played a single kinect title other than D4 on my one.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Yeah that's crazy if they seriously aren't gonna bring back gesture support. I rarely use it but at least it being available helps cushion the anger I feel everytime I remember MS shoved that peice of shit down us launch buyer's throats. I actually don't think I ever even played a single kinect title other than D4 on my one.

I can't believe there are actually people using gestures with Kinect. Why? Voice is faster. Gamepad is faster and more precise. There is literally zero reason to navigate by gestures, instead they were a complete annoyance on the standard dash, popping up when you moved your feet while on the couch or when you were just drinking something.

Alx

I can't believe there are actually people using gestures with Kinect. Why? Voice is faster. Gamepad is faster and more precise. There is literally zero reason to navigate by gestures, instead they were a complete annoyance on the standard dash, popping up when you moved your feet while on the couch or when you were just drinking something.

One solution being faster or more convenient than the other varies a lot depending on the conditions. When you're not holding a controller, scrolling a list is usually more comfortable with the grabbing/pushing motions than by uttering "page down" several times. Also you don't have to disambiguate when there are several items with the same name onscreen.
Going to home is also much more natural with the dual grabbing motion. So is going back to fullscreen : with gesture, just raise your hand and push. With voice, you need to remember the right name of your application, or trigger the voice menus.

That's not even mentioning other situations like interacting with the menus while on the phone, eating, etc.
One of the major strengths of the Xbox UI isn't that it has one control method that is best for everything, but that it offers a wide range of differnt control solutions that you can choose at any time. Removing some of those degrades its quality.
If some users are annoyed by gestures, it would have been easy to add an option to disable the feature in the setting, without killing it for everybody.

Yoday

Ten people? They sold something like 7 million before they unbundled it.

I never used the gestures though. I use the voice commands all the time.
I got a Kinect a few months ago and I have been shocked by how much I use the voice commands. Honestly I wish they would make a new version of Kinect that ditched the camera and only provided the hardware required for voice commands. Just a small box with a microphone in it that could plug into the Kinect port. The voice commands are amazing for video and quickly launching games, and its a shame that more people won't get to use the feature because of the high cost of entry. Hell, they could probably just build the microphone into the console itself in a future revision.

Onto something else, I really want them to take the current disc inserted icon and put that on every game in the library that requires a disc to start, and then make a solid disc icon to represent wich disc is inserted. My games library is getting huge, and it is getting a little challenging to remember which ones I need a disc for and which ones I have a digital license for. Additionally it would be nice if after getting the message to insert a disc it would auto boot the game when you swap in the correct disc. Currently the only way to have this happen is to have auto play on at all times.

witness

I finally upgraded my pc to Windows 10 and wanted to try game streaming. It would connect to my Xbox but when I clicked stream I kept getting a message that said I need to update my Xbox or the Xbox app. The Xbox app is up to date. Is there an issue with streaming in the preview program?

Is there a thread I can check out, which shows me what this update brings to the Xbox One besides a new dashboard?

When you first upgrade to the new dash there should be a box below the GwG box to show you tips for the NXOE.

If you've upgraded awhile ago and want to see what's new, go to Settings-->System-->Console Updates(first box) And click what's new.

2) external HDD support, always notifies that external storage is ready on every boot,

That's always happened when you're using energy saver.

The only change is that previously it'd happen during the initial green loading screen, so you probably just didn't see it. The notification centre also makes it more noticeable.

danowat

Banned
That's always happened when you're using energy saver.

The only change is that previously it'd happen during the initial green loading screen, so you probably just didn't see it. The notification centre also makes it more noticeable.

Ahh, ok, that explains that, thanks.

Just got hit with a 3.5GB update. I think this might be the factory reset update even though I never opted out. I know it's not from previous updates because I got all those updates I just haven't downloaded the Nov. 3rd update yet which is what I was in the process of doing (I originally got a 400MB update) but it said there was an error then hit me with a 3.5GB update.

Took my Xbox offline and hope they fix it because I really don't want to download 300GB worth of stuff again :L

After every update I open my Games and Apps screen to find Jetpac Refueled reinstalled. Ironically it's the one game in Rare Replay I could never get to work, and now it doesn't wanna leave my HDD.

gossi

The last few updates have been very good for me stability wise. USB TV Tuner finally works perfectly, as does 50hz TV without stutter.

I've heard there are 2-3 more updates scheduled before "gold"/Go Live. So if you have outstanding bug reports log them kinda now.

Pachimari

November 12th.

When you first upgrade to the new dash there should be a box below the GwG box to show you tips for the NXOE.

If you've upgraded awhile ago and want to see what's new, go to Settings-->System-->Console Updates(first box) And click what's new.

Oh, I haven't even opened up my Xbox One package yet. ^_^

I'm still considering if I should keep it. But this new dashboard looks interesting, but I also sense, that it'll become expensive for me, if I am to buy a Kinect and a new Xbox One controller, as my 500GB version probably comes with the launch controller.

Kssio_Aug

Am I the only one who keeps getting NAT issues when I start the console?
It usually starts at moderated or strict, recquiring me to restart so it usually changes to open. Lilke, totally arbitrary...

I'm still considering if I should keep it. But this new dashboard looks interesting, but I also sense, that it'll become expensive for me, if I am to buy a Kinect and a new Xbox One controller, as my 500GB version probably comes with the launch controller.

I have to ask...why'd you even buy it? Surely you knew that it would be expensive before you bought it.

You don't need a Kinect, or a new controller unless you want them, so the cost can be kept down to what you have already spent. Also MS just lowered the cost of Kinect to $99.

Pachimari

I have to ask...why'd you even buy it? Surely you knew that it would be expensive before you bought it.

You don't need a Kinect, or a new controller unless you want them, so the cost can be kept down to what you have already spent. Also MS just lowered the cost of Kinect to $99.

It was an impulse buy, because some stores opened here and had huge sales on it. So I saved quite some money. I would just like a Kinect for the fitness and Dance Central, had so much fun with it. And also for chatting on Skype and controlling it all with my voice.

Akakage

Neo Member
Anyone have any issues with Windows 10 streaming recently? It won't allow me to turn on my Xbox one from my windows 10 of Xbox app. However, if the Xbox is on I can connect to it from the Xbox app.

Not sure what's going on. This wasn't a problem before.

I set a static ip on my Xbox to see if that would help and entered those details into my router with the MAC address. No luck.

This has been happening with me as well.
However, I have been able to turn it on remotely using my phone which then lets my desktop connect. (Using the Xbox one smartglass beta app) First attempt on my phone typically gives me an error but trying a second time seems to work.

This has been happening with me as well.
However, I have been able to turn it on remotely using my phone which then lets my desktop connect. (Using the Xbox one smartglass beta app) First attempt on my phone typically gives me an error but trying a second time seems to work.

I might try it that way until the issue is resolved.

Saw a few people on the Xbox Forums experiencing the issue as well with various different kinds of network setups.

Am I the only one who keeps getting NAT issues when I start the console?
It usually starts at moderated or strict, recquiring me to restart so it usually changes to open. Lilke, totally arbitrary...

even on the old dash my xbox likes to randomly change between open and moderate, I have no idea why.

shandy706

There was three updates in three days (oct-31, nov-1, nov-2), if you missed one, you have to download the whole system image as they are only differential updates.

Ah, this was it....thanks.

I have a glitch it seems now, where a number of my games under "my games and apps" are just blank grey squares. No image...and they're all clumped up at the beginning of the list of games.

Kssio_Aug

even on the old dash my xbox likes to randomly change between open and moderate, I have no idea why.

That may be for me one of the most annoying issues!
I'm kind sick of those NAT problems with XB1. Next year I will be moving to another house and will see if I can find a way to plug a network cable on the console rather than using Wi-Fi connection.

Edge is still buggy on Win10 too. They really should have kept IE on NXOE and included Edge as a beta or second option for the time being

Chorazin

Why didn't you pick up the new Halo edition? They definitely come with the new controller. And Kinect is neat for voice but it's definitely not essential to your enjoyment of the console.

Pachimari

Why didn't you pick up the new Halo edition? They definitely come with the new controller. And Kinect is neat for voice but it's definitely not essential to your enjoyment of the console.

It was not on sale. The basic 500GB was the one on sale. Which is why I bought that one.
I got it for $220, when it's normally $440 here.

That may be for me one of the most annoying issues!
I'm kind sick of those NAT problems with XB1. Next year I will be moving to another house and will see if I can find a way to plug a network cable on the console rather than using Wi-Fi connection.

My xbox is wired BTW, it's never caused issues online but the NAT does like to do it's own thing.

Virgin media router from 2013, worked fine on 360 always open NAT there.

Syriel

Does anybody elses Xbox turn back on after shutting it down. Has been happening to me last few nights.

Do you have a wired controller plugged in?

Blank tiles are back in apps for me.

Kinect commands don't work while browsing Groove Music collection. :(

I got allot of flack for saying i liked the gesture stuff, but i really did use every so often. It wasn't all the time like the voice stuff. But every now and then i would use it, and just the other day i went to go select something on the menu with my hand and it didn't work. At first i thought i hadnt set up my kinect post nxoe launch. But i guess its just gone for good now.

Theorry

A couple of weeks ago i wasnt sure if it was gonna be stable for release. But these last updates these last days made it very stable and smoother. Looks like its gonna be fine on release day. :)

Top Bottom