• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: Sean Murray/Hello Games and No Man's Sky

Bluefoot

Banned
I fear, this game is getting far too hyped. I mean, I hope Sony is not serious when they say they think this game could be one of the best ever made.

Even that really cool demo we saw was, choreographed, with invisible lassos, to ensure cool stuff came up.

It looks awesome, no doubt about it. But that E3 demo, I think is a double edged sword. Sure, it got the word out big time, but now the expectations have also been raised to something I don't know if this game can achieve.

I fear, this game is getting far too hyped. I mean, I hope Sony is not serious when they say they think this game could be one of the best ever made.

Even that really cool demo we saw was, choreographed, with invisible lassos, to ensure cool stuff came up.

It looks awesome, no doubt about it. But that E3 demo, I think is a double edged sword. Sure, it got the word out big time, but now the expectations have also been raised to something I don't know if this game can achieve.

The only way expectations can be missed is for people who have done no reading into what the game actually is. We have been told many times that the game is basically:

Explore a planet, gather resources, hunt animals and continue to explore other planets while using gathered resources to upgrade your tools and ship. If you resource gather too much in a system the machine droids will attack you to try and protect the ecosystem.

Why this game deserved so much bullshit questions from people I will never know. The vertical slice trailer might have made it seem like everything was happening in close proximity but it would be a pretty terrible trailer if it either took ages between action or kept cutting to different sections. In fact, the whole trailer was needed to try and get across the whole point of the game, you explore and go on your space adventures with random shit happening along the way.

semiconscious

Gold Member

agree. as much as i want this to be good, i need to see much more than what's been shown up till now before i start getting excited...

Jobbs

Banned
I wonder when we'll eventually get to see what the game actually looks like to play. I've been skeptical of this game ever since PSX. Just more hype, more promises, more impossibly lofty goals from a small studio with no real pedigree, and nothing to show but what are essentially mockups -- Choreographed scenes.

A mockup is nice, but at some point you need to actually show something real.

Thought this could be interesting, here are some objects created using the Superformula Murray is talking about:

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-20-640x360.png

supershape_compo5.jpg

future_transport.jpg

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-151-640x360.png

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-121-640x360.png

Super-Shapes_1.png

superformula-DirectX%20Renderer%2312.jpg

superformula-DirectX%20Renderer%231.jpg

dstrukt.jpg

I wonder when we'll eventually get to see what the game actually looks like to play. I've been skeptical of this game ever since PSX. Just more hype, more promises, more impossibly lofty goals from a small studio with no real pedigree, and nothing to show but what are essentially mockups -- Choreographed scenes.

A mockup is nice, but at some point you need to actually show something real.

Everything they have shown is real, they may have tweaked the game to make those examples happen closer together to fit into a 2 minute trailer but otherwise they have said/shown nothing that cant be done realistically.

You go mine planets and hunt resources, use said materials to upgrade your tools and ship at trading stations and you fly from planet to planet. All of this is somehow tied into reaching the centre of the Universe for a surprise.

If that doesnt sound like a good game for you fair enough, but dont start spouting shit like 'They havent shown anything' because that is factually wrong.

OneUh8

I just hope nothing is rushed and they are allowed to release the game when they feel ready to release it. While I can't wait to play this, I can wait for it to be right.

It's definitely on my list to buy. No out of control hype or worry, just sounds like a cool project to experience either as a game or life simulator.

Myggen

Now that is gaming journalism done right by a non gaming site.

Polygon, take notes.

Yeah, The New Yorker pretty much nails it every time they write about gaming (they're good on more or less every subject they write about, so no big surprise there). They seem to be writing more about gaming recently (a big profile of Scarlett and esports in general was some of the greatest games writing I've read). I hope Simon Parkin can somehow become a staff writer over there.

Elandyll

Banned
God ... it's really sounding like the game I always wanted to play since I started reading Asimov and Van Vogt around 10.

After three planets and five minutes, he handed me the controller, leaving me in a brilliantly colored dreamscape, with crystal formations, viridescent and sapphire, scattered in clusters on arid earth. Single-leaf flora the height of redwoods swayed like seaweed. I wandered over hills and came to a sea the color of lava and waded in. The sea was devoid of life. With the press of a button, I activated a jet pack and popped into the air. Fog hung across the sea, and Murray pointed to the hazy outline of distant cliffs. “There are some sort of caves over there,” he said, and I headed for them. The No Man’s Sky cosmos was shaped by an ideal form of wildness—mathematical noise—and the caves were as uncharted as any material caves. I climbed into one of them. “Let’s see how big it is,” Murray said.

The cave’s interior was rendered in blues, greens, purples, and browns, and the light filled it with warmth. Luminescent bits of matter, like inanimate fireflies, filled the air. Triple-A games are often self-serious, dominated by hues so dark they nearly seem black, but Murray favors vivid, polychromatic graphics. “I think that one of the reasons No Man’s Sky resonates is that, at a very reductive level, it’s bright—it’s colorful, vibrant,” he told me.

Also, one of the best and most concise summary I've seen about the game:
Every player will begin on a randomly chosen planet at the outer perimeter of a galaxy. The goal is to head toward the center, to uncover a fundamental mystery, but how players do that, or even whether they choose to do so, is open to them. People can mine, trade, fight, or merely explore. As planets are discovered, information about them (including the names of their discoverers) is loaded onto a galactic map that is updated through the Internet. But, because of the game’s near-limitless proportions, players will rarely encounter one another by chance. As they move toward the center, the game will get harder, and the worlds—the terrain, the fauna and flora—will become more alien, more surreal.

Also, one of the best and most consise summary I've seen about the game:
Every player will begin on a randomly chosen planet at the outer perimeter of a galaxy. The goal is to head toward the center, to uncover a fundamental mystery, but how players do that, or even whether they choose to do so, is open to them. People can mine, trade, fight, or merely explore. As planets are discovered, information about them (including the names of their discoverers) is loaded onto a galactic map that is updated through the Internet. But, because of the game’s near-limitless proportions, players will rarely encounter one another by chance. As they move toward the center, the game will get harder, and the worlds—the terrain, the fauna and flora—will become more alien, more surreal.

That passage makes it sound so awesome. I can already feel the sense of exploration and discovery being so amazing and overwhelming.

pager99

Tearaway Unfolded
Ratchet & Clank
Until Dawn
Rime
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Shadow of the Beast
Kill Strain
Drawn to Death
The Tomorrow Children
Alienation
Bigfest

Can we knock this untrue shite on the head please?
I stand corrected that's a nice list
don't forget to add no man's sky ;)

daveo42

Banned
Thank you for that. It was quite the interesting read.

I can understand Murray's worry and hesitation about this game and the hype it has generated since its reveal 1.5 years ago, though based on everything I've read and seen, it'll deliver exactly what they say it will deliver. I'm more worried that it'll get flak because it doesn't deliver what people think a triple-A game should deliver in this day and age, tons of action and set pieces. It's not that kind of game, and really not even a triple-A game, it just has that unfortunate distinction attached to it.

Edit: I expect a launch window at E3, though based on their progress I'm not sure if it'll make 2015 or get pushed back to 2016 at this point. Morpheus support right out of the gate would be absolutely insane and amazing.

Now that is gaming journalism done right by a non gaming site.

Polygon, take notes.

There is no such thing as gaming journalism as far as I'm concerned. I mean this quite seriously too.

I consider the cumulative presence of "gaming journalism" to be nothing more than a collection of sub-standard blogs by opinionated, sensationalist neckbeards that may or may not have flunked out while studying for their bachelors in journalism. The quality of writing is often terrible; standards likewise. This article is "gaming journalism done right" simply because it is primarily [real] journalism. It's not pandering to the crowd that it desperately needs in order to pull in add revenue.

But I digress...

NMS is probably my most anticipated game so far this generation. Not blinded by the hype though, I actually expect to be incredibly let down. There's something to be said here, though, of aspirations. Sean Murray most certainly has them, and whether or not the game delivers on the height of our expectations, it's certainly good for the industry.

I really do love the premise behind this game. My mind just explodes with questions whenever I read an article about the game and hear Murray say, " the game is about the wonders of exploration. When you begin, you will be at a random planet on the outer realm of the galaxy and will have to work your way toward the center, and the closer you get to the center, the more surreal the worlds will become "

I f'in love that idea. Me personally I wouldn't mind if the entire game was nothing but Exploration. I'm just that type of gamer these days. Spend 200 hours in Skyrim and never even get halfway through the storyline. Just exploring everything everywhere. And this is just a dream come true type of project. Always wanted to play a sci-fi game where I looked at a planet, and boom can go there and fly through the atmosphere and then land and then jump back in my ship and head back into the cosmos again. So, that is brilliant.

Sitting in the lounge, we began on a Pez-colored planet called Oria V. Murray is known for nervously hovering during demos. “I’ll walk around a little, then I’ll let you have the controller for a bit,” he said. I watched as he traversed a field of orange grass, passing cyan ferns and indigo shrubs, down to a lagoon inhabited by dinosaurs and antelope. After three planets and five minutes, he handed me the controller, leaving me in a brilliantly colored dreamscape, with crystal formations, viridescent and sapphire, scattered in clusters on arid earth. Single-leaf flora the height of redwoods swayed like seaweed. I wandered over hills and came to a sea the color of lava and waded in. The sea was devoid of life. With the press of a button, I activated a jet pack and popped into the air. Fog hung across the sea, and Murray pointed to the hazy outline of distant cliffs. “There are some sort of caves over there,” he said, and I headed for them. The No Man’s Sky cosmos was shaped by an ideal form of wildness—mathematical noise—and the caves were as uncharted as any material caves. I climbed into one of them. “Let’s see how big it is,” Murray said.

Like, this type of thing excites me. Exploration at its purest. See a cave, enter cave, find out whats in there, leave and find something else. The only thing Murray needs to be sure of, is that you don't have too much exploration without reward. That can get a bit tedious. Be it by finding some sort of picturesque scenery at the other end of the cave, or like new armor for your ship, or something like that. Not all exploration needs reward mind you, but enough of it to where you will constantly ask yourself, " hmm ... what could I find in this cave or around that mountain? ". If it is always pointless, then most people will just forego exploration outright and just hastily run to the center or do something else.

The design allows for extraordinary economy in computer processing: the terrain for eighteen quintillion unique planets flows out of only fourteen hundred lines of code.

mind blown

Edit: I expect a launch window at E3, though based on their progress I'm not sure if it'll make 2015 or get pushed back to 2016 at this point. Morpheus support right out of the gate would be absolutely insane and amazing.

I mean, if Sony wants Morpheus to be a success then getting this compatible seems like such an obvious thing to do. This, SOMA, Rapture, Ethan Carter, Edith Finch (although I think that won't be out until after Morpheus) would be a pretty strong line-up of early Morpheus software. Of course, the key thing is long-term support, and as an adopter of Move I'd probably be hesitant to invest in Morpheus without considerable evidence that its support will be worthwhile and long-term.

Mash83

That was a really great read. I have to say the scope and ambitious nature of this game seems like a lot to live up to. It also sounds like they are under quite a bit of pressure to deliver a mind blowing experience. Ill get it no matter what but Im hoping it does well.

A 2015 release would be surprising. I think it has to get pushed to 2016.

legacyzero

Banned
That was a really great read. I have to say the scope and ambitious nature of this game seems like a lot to live up to. It also sounds like they are under quite a bit of pressure to deliver a mind blowing experience. Ill get it no matter what but Im hoping it does well.

A 2015 release would be surprising. I think it has to get pushed to 2016.
Sean and company have stated that they are aiming for 2015 "the year No Man's Sky come out", but Danny O'Dwyer was on a Kinda Funny Podcast saying that 2015 isn't likely. Danny is good buds with Sean, so take that as you will.

Jobbs

Banned
Everything they have shown is real, they may have tweaked the game to make those examples happen closer together to fit into a 2 minute trailer but otherwise they have said/shown nothing that cant be done realistically.

You go mine planets and hunt resources, use said materials to upgrade your tools and ship at trading stations and you fly from planet to planet. All of this is somehow tied into reaching the centre of the Universe for a surprise.

If that doesnt sound like a good game for you fair enough, but dont start spouting shit like 'They havent shown anything' because that is factually wrong.

It's not wrong. I want to see actual practical gameplay, being played, doing things and seeing other people -- being that it's an MMO, that's not much to ask.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all there is to see are effectively cinematics (in engine or not is irrelevant) and an interview where we see the guy play the game running around through empty test environments with nothing in them.

I want to see authentic gameplay of the actual game. There's nothing wrong with it not being ready yet, but it is a bit weird to have hyped it this big for this long still without showing anything -- Combine that with the lack of pedigree and the enormous loftiness of the claims made about what the game is, and I'm really just skeptical as all hell.

It's not wrong. I want to see actual practical gameplay, being played, doing things and seeing other people -- being that it's an MMO, that's not much to ask.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all there is to see are effectively cinematics (in engine or not is irrelevant) and an interview where we see the guy play the game running around through empty test environments with nothing in them.

I want to see authentic gameplay of the actual game. There's nothing wrong with it not being ready yet, but it is a bit weird to have hyped it this big for this long still without showing anything -- Combine that with the lack of pedigree and the enormous loftiness of the claims made about what the game is, and I'm really just skeptical as all hell.

IIRC, haven't they said that seeing other people will be very, very rare? It's not an MMO in any traditional sense of the word.

Sounds like you need to read more.

It's not an "MMO" in the traditional sense. If you're heading into this game expecting to see other human players, then... lol. Your chances of encountering anybody from RL are exceedingly small, given the scope of the potential universe.

EDIT: ^Absolute wizard

I've always took it that the multiplayer would work similarly to Journey - you'd meet people randomly if they were in a nearby location. Just my assumption of course.

That's what I remember reading. But Journey, IIRC, specifically joins you and partner together, whereas this, presumably, only shows another player if you two happen to end up on the same planet (something that's fairly unlikely given the size they've suggested this game will be).

“It is a bit like it really does exist, isn’t it?” Gibbons said.

Murray stopped at a star cluster and admired its density. Finally, overcoming his hesitancy, he picked a destination. “I can’t promise if this is going to be interesting,” he said. The map vanished. He was back in his cockpit. His hyperdrive kicked on. Then all of space blurred, and the ship hurtled into the unknown.

I NEED to know what happened next. Probably nothing. Could have been something. Give me this game now.

Like, this type of thing excites me. Exploration at its purest. See a cave, enter cave, find out whats in there, leave and find something else. The only thing Murray needs to be sure of, is that you don't have too much exploration without reward. That can get a bit tedious. Be it by finding some sort of picturesque scenery at the other end of the cave, or like new armor for your ship, or something like that. Not all exploration needs reward mind you, but enough of it to where you will constantly ask yourself, " hmm ... what could I find in this cave or around that mountain? ". If it is always pointless, then most people will just forego exploration outright and just hastily run to the center or do something else. mind blow

I think you should be able to purchase some mundane equipment in the game for shits & giggles, TBH. I'm thinking along the lines of a camera that you can operate in order to take screenshots of any worthy sites/scenery that you come across. A simple function, largely unnecessary, but something that can add some flavor to it.

It has amazing potential, but it needs a few small elements of entertainment along the way to keep the steam going

IIRC, haven't they said that seeing other people will be very, very rare? It's not an MMO in any traditional sense of the word.

TNY said:
But, because of the game’s near-limitless proportions, players will rarely encounter one another by chance.
I read this to mean, unless you are intentionally playing with someone, the chance of running into another user would be rare.

This is perhaps the most entertaining read. Love reading about all the various little things this team is doing to create the overall product and how one simple change can have a myriad of effects. Also like hearing how they test their product throughout the day and then each day save the results in single " master file " universe program that is currently the completed NMS product of that day. Pretty cool.

Also liked the way it ended. A good feeling for how the actual game will be.

Murray stopped at a star cluster and admired its density. Finally, overcoming his hesitancy, he picked a destination. “I can’t promise if this is going to be interesting,” he said. The map vanished. He was back in his cockpit. His hyperdrive kicked on. Then all of space blurred, and the ship hurtled into the unknown.

Like, this type of thing excites me. Exploration at its purest. See a cave, enter cave, find out whats in there, leave and find something else. The only thing Murray needs to be sure of, is that you don't have too much exploration without reward. That can get a bit tedious. Be it by finding some sort of picturesque scenery at the other end of the cave, or like new armor for your ship, or something like that. Not all exploration needs reward mind you, but enough of it to where you will constantly ask yourself, " hmm ... what could I find in this cave or around that mountain? ". If it is always pointless, then most people will just forego exploration outright and just hastily run to the center or do something else.

BTW you can't upgrade your ship. You buy them and you have to stick with whatever stats/attributes that come with it.

If this delivers this can very well be the case. I don't see what's ridiculous about the statement. He's saying there's possibility it could be one of the biggest games of the industry, and the game does have huge potential to do so considering what they got going here.

As for the bolded, i'm not worried about that being a bad sign. When making a trailer for a game like this on fairly short notice, I'd imagine they'd want to script those things just to show off some of the features and what is possible, but of course the game isn't going to be packed to the brim with these events happening around every corner.

Other than this piece, I don't think alotta people have noticed but Hello games has been very quiet on their front. Probably hard crunch time~

Nafai1123

Banned
That was a great read. Sounds like it could very well get pushed to 2016, which is honestly fine with me. Take the time to make the game they want. Launching it alongside Morpheus could be an amazing opportunity anyways.

Myggen

Other than this piece, I don't think alotta people have noticed but Hello games has been very quiet on their front. Probably hard crunch time~

Yeah, I remember Murray saying that they would go silent for a good while some months back. Probably to concentrate on the work and get away from the hype for a little while.

Amir0x

Banned
But what do you actually DO in No Man's Sky?

Seriously though, what an incredible sounding concept. I really hope they nail the feel of exploration.

They said it could be one of the biggest games in the history of the industry. That seems like a pretty accurate description if it does live up to the hype. It's obviously a big if because of how ambitious the game is, but they're basically making the dream game for many people. Lots of people grow up wanting to explore space. And this is a game all about exploring space rather than constantly blowing shit up.

Yep

nmsmsl1k.png

He returned to Twitter last month, but he still doesn't tweet or retweet much.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thought this could be interesting, here are some objects created using the Superformula Murray is talking about:

puking_rainbows_gravity_falls_looped.gif

My God. Hype increased.

Also, one of the best and most concise summary I've seen about the game:

This actually sounds very good for the description for the OT.

-

Please, Hello Games, don't rush this. Delay it to 2016 if you must. I don't care, I only care for the end product. I know it can be done, if it stays in the oven for the right amount of time.

barit

Snip

Yep that´s the stuff I expect to see when coming closer to the middle of the universe. They say it becomes more surreal the further you go and I think we will see some crazy shit that no one predicted. This is not Spore 2.0 (I hope), Man this game can only be AWESOME why someone would deny that is beyond me.

They said it could be one of the biggest games in the history of the industry. That seems like a pretty accurate description if it does live up to the hype. It's obviously a big if because of how ambitious the game is, but they're basically making the dream game for many people. Lots of people grow up wanting to explore space. And this is a game all about exploring space rather than constantly blowing shit up.

It could be one of the biggest games in the industry, in the vein of minecraft. If the game is as they described, then it'll be something that's never been seen before. It's completely ambitious, but they seem confident that they're able to do it.

It may take a game like this to truly tell us how small we really are.

Billions of stars in our galaxy
Billions of galaxies in space.
Hundreds and thousands of planets in each one.
Stars 5x as big as our Sun
Dwarf Planets
Dying Stars
What's out there man!

mindblown.gif.

This guy, he has to deliver.

Top Bottom