• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: Sean Murray/Hello Games and No Man's Sky

I wonder when we'll eventually get to see what the game actually looks like to play. I've been skeptical of this game ever since PSX. Just more hype, more promises, more impossibly lofty goals from a small studio with no real pedigree, and nothing to show but what are essentially mockups -- Choreographed scenes.

Given that you are essentially a one-man show for what is turning out to be a gorgeous game in its own right, I'm surprised you aren't a bit more forgiving on what a small studio (14 people credited on their site) is capable of.

Can someone start a No Man's Sky: Hype Ship that we can all board?

With NMS we can all have our own unique hype ship, mate :)

Pudge

The part about stuff being orchestrated for the demo makes this game seem like the ultimate Day-Z clone, a sandbox where cool things CAN happen if you have weeks of real time to fritter away gathering resources and cataloging bullshit.

I'll take a four hour CoD campaign over that, because at least that ends and some thought was put into its design.

Zomba13

With NMS we can all have our own unique hype ship, mate :)

Our own unique Hype Ship flying to our own unique Hype Planet that may even have it's own unique Hype Train :D

I'm so hyped for this game but will keep it cool until we get a release date. This E3 baby! Count on it! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

logo.gif

I wonder if this thing will be at the center of the universe. This game makes me very giddy.

Myggen

The part about stuff being orchestrated for the demo makes this game seem like the ultimate Day-Z clone, a sandbox where cool things CAN happen if you have weeks of real time to fritter away gathering resources and cataloging bullshit.

I'll take a four hour CoD campaign over that, because at least that ends and some thought was put into its design.

Now you just seem to be trolling here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope its not another destiny in terms of what they try and make us think this game is versus what it actually is upon release.

this thing is going to have to be absolutely amazing to not be a disappointment for a lot of people...

GeoramA

PSX was 6 months ago?? Man, now I'm excited to see how far along it is. Keep throwing money at it, Sony. And get it on Morpheus!

Sean Murray right now:
p6SKL38.jpg

Lol. Dude always looks under pressure too. Hopenhe gets to relax and enjoy his money

I wonder why we haven't seen it in so long and why they dont add some more folks to do some legwork? Guessing it's more complicated than I assume

The game does seem to get hyped and presumed to have things it doesn't though. For example, I was under the assumption you could gather resources like in Minecraft, but that isnt exactly the case. Hopefully people have a clear idea of what the game does and doesn't do

RexNovis

Banned
No Man's Sky |OT| Massive Cosmic Scale, Itty Bitty Gameplay Space

might as well have fun with the bullshit

Reposting for the new page

It's not every day you see a video game developer and his video game featured in The New Yorker and yet here we have a fantastic 4500 word piece on Sean Murray, his studio and his upcoming game.

Could this game have the potential to capture the curiosity of those who, in the past, regarded video games with hardly more than incredulity and disdain? I certainly can't recall any other game getting such universal attention and praise from so many avenues of non enthusiast media. What is it about this game that is captivating such a wide variety of audiences? Much of the coverage focuses on its ambitious scale and the technology that populates it but the breadth of coverage both the game and its creator have received is absolutely staggering. Here's hoping all this leads to significant mindshare and notable success. This is easily my most anticipated game and one that I foresee myself inhabiting for a very very long time. I can not wait.

It's baffling to me that people still don't understand that exploration is the core gameplay mechanic in the game. It's what drives you as a player. If you have no desire to explore an unknown galaxy then yes of course you would find the idea of playing a game built around exploration boring.

That penchant for exploration is the essence of who we are as a species. In a sense it's our soul. That desire to learn, discover and explore is the very ineffable spark which defines us as human beings. If we have no curiosity, no desire to solve the mysteries and dimensions of our existence then what separates us from the countless other animals that accept their lot in the universe without thought or question? I don't understand how anyone could not be at least somewhat enticed at the thought of a literal galaxy waiting for you to discover.

The game does seem to get hyped and presumed to have things it doesn't though. For example, I was under the assumption you could gather resources like in Minecraft, but that isnt exactly the case. Hopefully people have a clear idea of what the game does and doesn't do

But you can, in fact, Sean has made that exact comparison when talking about resource gathering. Where did you get that we couldn't?

But you can, in fact, Sean has made that exact comparison when talking about resource gathering. Where did you get that we couldn't?

Sorry, to emphasize, when people compare it to Minecraft, they think:

Breaking the environment, moulding the environment (and therefore building actual things from "resources")... From what I understand the world is static? You can't actually change anything.

But if someone were to say "resource gathering like Minecraft" people take certain things away from that, which wont necessarily be true. I can see a lot of people being let down like that.

Sorry, to emphasize, when people compare it to Minecraft, they think:

Breaking the environment, moulding the environment (and therefore building actual things from "resources")... From what I understand the world is static? You can't actually change anything.

But if someone were to say "resource gathering like Minecraft" people take certain things away from that, which wont necessarily be true. I can see a lot of people being let down like that.

But there is environmental destruction and you can essentially carve it with your multitool and plasma grenades. There's no using resources to build though.

This very article even mentioned the existence of rock avalanches.

Necro900

It may take a game like this to truly tell us how small we really are.

Billions of stars in our galaxy
Billions of galaxies in space.
Hundreds and thousands of planets in each one.
Stars 5x as big as our Sun
Dwarf Planets
Dying Stars
What's out there man!

mindblown.gif.

This guy, he has to deliver.
Here:

jvPSMI.gif

Gusy

Hello Games take all the time you need, but please get the technical aspect right! I worry about the LOD management, it seems a little rough so far. The transition from high altitude flying to on the ground LOD has to be a bit better. I think Just Cause 2 did this wonderfully.

This could be my dream game if they do it right...

geomon

Murray stopped at a star cluster and admired its density. Finally, overcoming his hesitancy, he picked a destination. “I can’t promise if this is going to be interesting,” he said. The map vanished. He was back in his cockpit. His hyperdrive kicked on. Then all of space blurred, and the ship hurtled into the unknown.

yeBjVkT.gif

I found a good canditate for the hypeship we can line up for boarding, but I can't photoshop anything. If someone with the skills wants to start one, I want a spot at the top of the line. :)

retroart.jpg

RedSwirl

Nice to see even small indies are getting into the AAA style of smoke and mirrors these days.

Worrying.

I think what this suggests is that actual gameplay will be very similar to what we saw, but much less eventful in terms of the scale of time. There will probably be much longer lengths of time between lifeform sightings and other events going on.

There's a bit of a demonstration purposes cop out at the end, but it confirms what I suspected all along. They've yet to show any footage of this game to the public that hasn't been doctored in some fashion. To which I must again ask, why? Do they think we couldn't handle it?

The article kinda already says this. The "real game" is on the operating table. All the components aren't really together yet.

You can't really do a vertical slice of the game consumers are going to play like most games. Murray in the article mentioned that with most games, a developer can show off one completed level to the masses while they work on all the others. With NMS they can't tweak a single thing without it affecting the entire rest of the game. You can't just slice out a piece of the game.

Jobbs

Banned
Given that you are essentially a one-man show for what is turning out to be a gorgeous game in its own right, I'm surprised you aren't a bit more forgiving on what a small studio (14 people credited on their site) is capable of.

I didn't headline the PSX event and get my own concert while still not showing gameplay. If you want to see the game, you can see it, you can even play it. I'm not making promises about something that is still behind curtains. Which is why I explained -- There's nothing wrong with a game not being ready yet. But it feels odd that it's been this hyped for this long and we still haven't, in my opinion, really seen it. You can argue that carefully choreographed scenes are "showing gameplay", but I just don't agree. The extent to which I care about cutscenes in any upcoming game is virtually zero. I had a similar reaction to the Battlefront 3 "unveiling", which was, again, a cutscene. My reaction to that event was fairly vicious even though I'm rooting for Battlefront 3 to be great.

I am very supportive of devs, anyone creative, especially indies -- But it's always been in my MO to really encourage the showing of the game if you are going to "go big", whether that's massive PR and having your own No Man's Sky concert, or whether that's a Kickstarter campaign. I'm usually very critical of any KS campaign that does not show any sort of gameplay prototype. I was extremely critical of Massive Chalice and its substanceless KS pitch. "Show me the game" is my mantra -- And if you can't, keep it to yourself until you can. I'm actually wrestling a bit with backing Bloodstained, because it's another substanceless pitch, but in this case they're pitching something that's basically a tour of some of my most private fantasies.

Anyway, back to No Man's Sky -- Often people seem to mistake my skepticism for haterism. I think the game sounds great, and I'd love for it to deliver. I'll be first in line to buy it if it does. That said, I'd be lying if I said their unrolling of this game hasn't turned me off a bit. The PSX event felt like a celebration of a game that is still unproven and, in my mind, still unseen. Make and deliver a great game, THEN bask in glory. Not the other way around.

edit: and thank you for your kind compliment!

Leb

I didn't headline the PSX event and get my own concert while still not showing gameplay. If you want to see the game, you can see it, you can even play it. I'm not making promises about something that is still behind curtains. Which is why I explained -- There's nothing wrong with a game not being ready yet. But it feels odd that it's been this hyped for this long and we still haven't, in my opinion, really seen it. You can argue that carefully choreographed scenes are "showing gameplay", but I just don't agree. The extent to which I care about cutscenes in any upcoming game is virtually zero. I had a similar reaction to the Battlefront 3 "unveiling", which was, again, a cutscene. My reaction to that event was fairly vicious even though I'm rooting for Battlefront 3 to be great.

Anyway, back to No Man's Sky -- Often people seem to mistake my skepticism for haterism. I think the game sounds great, and I'd love for it to deliver. I'll be first in line to buy it if it does. That said, I'd be lying if I said their unrolling of this game hasn't turned me off a bit. The PSX event felt like a celebration of a game that is still unproven and, in my mind, still unseen. Make and deliver a great game, THEN bask in glory. Not the other way around.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Elite: Dangerous yet? I kind of look at E:D as something of a leading indicator as to why I think many people will be ultimately disappointed with No Man's Sky (at least relative to the insane hype surrounding it).

I mean, E:D had a much larger team and presumably a much larger budget, but in the end, they created a universe that, while vast as an ocean, was nonetheless about as deep as a puddle. That's not to say that E:D sucks or anything, but after awhile, you get the impression that you've literally seen and done everything the game has to offer and you're just repeating minor variations of the same gameplay loop over and over again.

So, yeah, I guess I'm just unclear on how a smaller, less experienced team is going to improve substantially on the formula given the limitations of procedurally generated content. Also, Molyneux permanently broke my credulity capacitor.

I didn't headline the PSX event and get my own concert while still not showing gameplay. If you want to see the game, you can see it, you can even play it. I'm not making promises about something that is still behind curtains.

Which is why I explained -- There's nothing wrong with a game not being ready yet. But it feels odd that it's been this hyped for this long and we still haven't, in my opinion, really seen it.... it's always been in my MO to really encourage the showing of the game if you are going to "go big", whether that's massive PR and having your own No Man's Sky concert, or whether that's a Kickstarter campaign.

So.. your criticism is totally valid. When it comes to something that is not available for purchase or play (as a demo to beta test), the smart money is on skepticism. As for myself however, I have to say that having parsed through every bit of info, interviews, video, etc.. regard NMS since its initial reveal, I feel I have a pretty solid idea of what the broad strokes of the game will be, and I'm content with that. That just means I am comfortable with what has been shown as well as what Mr. Murray himself has said, as being indicative of how NMS' development is progressing. The core formula itself is enough for me. You want to see a more definitive proof of concept, and that's totally fine as well.

As far as their "free pass" in regards to the media attention given to it, and their presence at PSX is concerned, I feel there's a bit more to unpack there.

The narrative of Hello Games and No Man's Sky is effectively a David vs. Goliath type story, with NMS being this "giant" type of game that has been oft promised by more prominent, seemingly more competent, developers and in the end fallen flat on its face. The fact that a smaller independent studio like Hello Games is taking it on, and in such a fashion that those that are closer to the project than we are (e.g. those at Sony) have expressed such confidence in its vision that it is essentially (for now) a 'feel good" story for the video game industry being played out in front of an audience that has grown increasingly vocal in its (rightful) cynicism due to broken promises and deceptive marketing practices. That's not to comment on the veracity of Hello Games' claim as to what NMS is or will be, rather that is the place we find ourselves in currently and why the promise of NMS will, until proven otherwise, retain top tier billing.

As an aside, as far as the concert is concerned, that seemed to be little more than a happy accident that a song from 65 Days of Static was chosen for a trailer that ignited a lot of people's interest; and since they were subsequently tapped to score the OST for NMS, and Sony had locked up some form of exclusivity for the game, it made total sense that Sony would try to capitalize on that during a Sony exclusive event.

edit: and thank you for your kind compliment!

You're welcome! Like NMS, I've been a supporter of Ghost Song since its KS campaign because I believed in your vision and what you wanted to bring to the table.

Sorc3r3r

A couple of things by me.
First the fact that planets are ''true'' planets it's the best thing i've read about nms.
Two, the thrill of the exploration doesn't lie only on finding new wowsome vistas, but also in the potential dangers you can face abruptly, aggressive beats, poisonuos plants or air, or simply hazardous ground conformations.
Don't reduce exploration to a trivial experience, my hearth has to pump, my hands have to sweat, those are alien planets i need suspense together with great landscapes.
Don't fail me guys!

hypotc

We need an anticipation/discussion thread for No Man's Sky imo. Like a Pre-OT or something. Who's gonna do it?

Jobbs

Banned
A couple of things by me.
First the fact that planets are ''true'' planets it's the best thing i've read about nms.
Two, the thrill of the exploration doesn't lie only on finding new wowsome vistas, but also in the potential dangers you can face abruptly, aggressive beats, poisonuos plants or air, or simply hazardous ground conformations.
Don't reduce exploration to a trivial experience, my hearth has to pump, my hands have to sweat, those are alien planets i need suspense together with great landscapes.
Don't fail me guys!

I was thinking this too. I've heard it's not primarily a combat game, but regardless of what that means, I sure hope there are truly deadly places out there to explore.

Geez you guys are fast. I don't even have my issue yet.

Wow, a New Yorker profile long before the game has been released or even widely tested. This is unprecedented, right? I know that they wrote epic articles about Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft, but both games were well received as released games at the point when the articles were written. I can't wait to play No Man's Sky, but the fall from grace will be epic if the grand ideas espoused by Sean Murray don't translate into an exceptional game in the end.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/faraway-the-making-of-a-universe

The New Yorker has fantastic games writing, can't wait to give this a read.

As far as I can remember most game coverage has been on the website or blogs. Very few articles in the print magazine itself which is, by necessity, more selective. I can remember a god of war article, a gears of war article (by Tom bissel maybe ), and a recent one on esports. I'd wager this is by far the game made by the smallest team to ever hit the print version. Possibly the first "preview" I can't remember the timing of the gears article.

They are scheduled to finish at the end of this year; at that time, they will invite millions of people to explore their creation, as a video game, packaged under the title No Man’s Sky.
sooo... end of year release maybe?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've always took it that the multiplayer would work similarly to Journey - you'd meet people randomly if they were in a nearby location. Just my assumption of course.

Yes, that's how I've understood it.

I read this to mean, unless you are intentionally playing with someone, the chance of running into another user would be rare.

As far as I've been able to discern, you actually can't "intentionally play with someone". There are no parties or anything like that, you can't invite a friend to your game, etc. The MP that is there supposedly works much like Journey, where you randomly get put together with a nameless stranger who happens to be in the same location as you, so there doesn't seem to be any way to make sure that you end up in the same "instance" as your friend even if you manage to go to the same location at the same time. At least this is how they've been talking about it. It's not a game where you have fun space adventures with your buddy, it's one where you make the long journey through the galaxy on your own and might occasionally get a glimpse of another human being (except they've also said that when you do you won't even know if it's a person or AI, although I guess you could probably discern that based on how they act).

Socky

Add morpheus support and you've got a system seller easily

I think NMS is important enough that Sony should delay Morpheus if necessary to ensure NMS (and Morpheus) are ready to launch together. On it's own, NMS has the potential to be a big game, but as a launch title with VR it could create one of the first popular VR experiences. It would also be one that all the family could understand (flying in space, walking on an alien planet) and enjoy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
for how often people seem to complain about games being just about shooting people, they sure do like to complain about not shooting people too.

Lutherian

No Man's Sky |OT| Massive Cosmic Scale, Itty Bitty Gameplay Space

might as well have fun with the bullshit

Reposting for the new page

About your quotes from previous pages : this is exactly what I wanted to play for years. I bough Elite Dangerous and I'm borred like hell because, unlike previous Elites, you can't yet go to the surface of any planet. I absolutly understand why because it will cost a lot of ressources and need to be implemented perfectly but that's the ONLY missing feature that makes me feel like I'm doing nothing worthy in this game ; and I know it is a great game, it is just that I want to explore planets too.

No Man's Sky hit me in the right spot. I couldn't believe that finally, before Star Citizen would allow player to get outside the stupidly tiny Arena Commander zones, No Man's Sky could already do it.

Bluefoot

Banned
The only way expectations can be missed is for people who have done no reading into what the game actually is. We have been told many times that the game is basically:

Explore a planet, gather resources, hunt animals and continue to explore other planets while using gathered resources to upgrade your tools and ship. If you resource gather too much in a system the machine droids will attack you to try and protect the ecosystem.

Why this game deserved so much bullshit questions from people I will never know. The vertical slice trailer might have made it seem like everything was happening in close proximity but it would be a pretty terrible trailer if it either took ages between action or kept cutting to different sections. In fact, the whole trailer was needed to try and get across the whole point of the game, you explore and go on your space adventures with random shit happening along the way.

You're right, it would be a crappy trailer if it didn't sell it well. And that trailer did sell it well. But, there was also a demo of Sean playing the game and in Q&As he made it seem like that was all legit and its on the same stage as all the other massive AAA games, implying it's a fully formed game and those games have a known pipeline and are a known commodity.

No Mans Sky didn't even seem fully known to Sean himself. He didn't seem like he had a fully formed idea for what the game is. Exploration. Thats about it. Well, cool. It seems like a super neat bit of technology and great design, but so unconventional, lacking a narrative or perhaps any satisfying or meaningful gameplay.

All of that can be great, for an indie game. But, since the E3 demo, the expectations are far far larger, grander, and I think this game has painted itself into a corner. This profile proves it. Sony themselves, in their own words, think this is going to end up as one of the greatest games ever made, and that is what this newspaper is expecting.

It's procedural based, which many games are, but not quite like this. Getting it all to work will be incredibly challenging, and it might be impossible to Q&A since there are apparently millions of planets. I'm excited for this game, and anticipate on enjoying it, but I still think what looks like a cool game could be consumed by its own hype.

Only way it can avoid that fate is, if it actually ends up being as revolutionary and amazing as this profile thinks its looks like it will be.

Top Bottom