• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: Sean Murray/Hello Games and No Man's Sky

Which is why I explained -- There's nothing wrong with a game not being ready yet. But it feels odd that it's been this hyped for this long and we still haven't, in my opinion, really seen it. You can argue that carefully choreographed scenes are "showing gameplay", but I just don't agree. The extent to which I care about cutscenes in any upcoming game is virtually zero. I had a similar reaction to the Battlefront 3 "unveiling", which was, again, a cutscene.

"choreographed" does not equal "cutscene". From the article:
The previous “builds” of No Man’s Sky that he had publicly shown—the ones that had generated so much excitement—contained choreographed elements. Features that might have been light-years apart were pressed closer together; animals were invisibly corralled so that they could be reliably encountered. Shifts in the weather that would normally follow the rhythm of atmospheric change were cued to insure that they happened during a demo.

Everything in the game is generated according to set algorithms. Adjusting the distribution/timing of generated elements so you can show variety in a quick amount of time hardly equates to a GGI trailer. Obviously showing off a vertical slice of such a game years before launch is an unrealistic expectation.

IMO, the exploration gameplay that they've shown is enough for me to know I'm going to get it at launch.

Thought this could be interesting, here are some objects created using the Superformula Murray is talking about:

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-20-640x360.png

supershape_compo5.jpg

future_transport.jpg

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-151-640x360.png

3D-Superformula-Reza-Ali-121-640x360.png

Super-Shapes_1.png

superformula-DirectX%20Renderer%2312.jpg

superformula-DirectX%20Renderer%231.jpg

dstrukt.jpg

If some flora/fauna shows up in the game looking like those, even if it takes me hundreds of hours of gameplay to stumble across a truly unique variant no one has seen, it would be fantastic.

I want my own Species 8472.

CHC

Just got this issue in the mail the other day. I forgot how beautiful game screenshots look in a printed magazine, makes me nostalgic for the days of hot new reveals in PSM...

v1lla21

I seriously hope we get to see strange living objects like those that the super formula created. Imagine landing on a planet to mine and collect resources. As you are doing this you hear something behind you and turn to find something you can't explain but you know it's a living creature that may or may not want to hurt you.

"WE ARE PUTTING THE FULL WEIGHT OF PLAYSTATION BEHIND NO MAN'S SKY"

layStation’s UK boss Fergal Gara says that some of the biggest budget indie games on PS4 will receive the same sort of support as its internally-developed projects.

Picking out No Man’s Sky as an example, Gara says these games have the potential to go beyond the usual expectations of an ‘indie’ title.

“No Man’s Sky has been treated as if it was from one of our internal studios,” he says. “We have been working very closely with the developers and bringing it into our release programme as if we had made it. We are not going to treat it any differently and we are going to put the full weight of PlayStation behind it. If it all comes together as well as expected, it will be treated like a first-party release; it is not a self-published small indie title on the platform.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/play...odborne-no-man-s-sky-and-black-friday/0149460

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same guy who did that brilliant New Yorker article posted an update today. This article isn't as meaty or insightful as the other, but it gives a sample of some of the creature sounds generated by the engine

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/what-a-dragons-mating-scream-sounds-like

https://soundcloud.com/newyorker/no-mans-sky-creatures

Getting some cool tidbits from the Raffi Khatchadourian AMA that's going on right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: lso did you try to interact with the wildlife you found to see their a.I. react and was their a.I. functinality described by Sean in relation to the procedural nature of the world?

A: The AI was being developed when I was there, and there were great advancements since the E3 build. In the E3 build there were certain things the creature would do -- like climb a 90 degree incline -- that they don't do any longer. I got to watch them add inverse kinematics to the creatures, and give them more logical behaviors. But still they were full of surprises. There's a story that I love. Grant Duncan had been working to give a hippo-like creature a rule to spawn in caves. He was doing this on a version of the game native to his machine and checked it into the master build. A bit later David Ream was exploring an underwater cave and found a pile of dead hippos in it. They had "drowned." There are so many factors to consider.

Q: Is there any combat in the game and if so what does it play like? A shooter? A first person brawler? Thanks !

A: Yes, there is combat in the game, and I was able to watch some of it. While I was in the studio, there was a great moment that i did not have space for in my story. I was hunkered down at a table opposite Sean, and suddenly David Ream who is focussing on gameplay jumped out of his seat and said something like "this is a game!" That morning he was working on laser cannons for a ship, and he was also working on ship handling. As a test, he shot at a freighter, and then descended to a planet. A few minutes later, police ships began firing at him on the planet's surface. At first he thought it was a glitch, but then realized that the police had tracked him down because he had fired at the freighters in orbit while testing the lasers. It was one of those moments where you could feel the many various aspects of the game coming together, and his excitement was really genuine. So yes, combat, yes!

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/35y3ne/im_raffi_khatchadourian_im_a_staff_writer_at_the/

damn, how did i miss this thread. what a great read.

this part though

Murray stopped at a star cluster and admired its density. Finally, overcoming his hesitancy, he picked a destination. “I can’t promise if this is going to be interesting,” he said. The map vanished. He was back in his cockpit. His hyperdrive kicked on. Then all of space blurred, and the ship hurtled into the unknown.

got me good, im hyped again

From the article:
When I first met with Murray, at his studio, earlier this year, he had just flown back from the North American headquarters of Sony PlayStation, in California. He had a long relationship with Sony. A few days before he unveiled the No Man’s Sky trailer, in 2013, he had distributed versions of it to people in the industry, and Sony had been immediately interested. “I sent Sean a barrage of texts,” Shahid Ahmad, a director of strategic content at Sony PlayStation, told me. “I said, ‘We need to get this on PlayStation. Tell me what you need.’ ”

This is one of the reasons that Sony has been hitting it out of the park this generation. From the beginning, Sony went out and courted developers and did it from a gaming-centric perspective while at the same time throwing tremendous support financially and, more importantly, support on a personal/emotional level to make it all about these indie developers and what Sony could do for them.

Handy Fake

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/play...odborne-no-man-s-sky-and-black-friday/0149460

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The same guy who did that brilliant New Yorker article posted an update today. This article isn't as meaty or insightful as the other, but it gives a sample of some of the creature sounds generated by the engine

That's outstanding. The whole thing is just so exciting. The end about bird-populated forests made the hairs on my neck stand up.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
It looks cool, but I'm still surprised that so many people are so caught up in this supposedly crazy open world game thats made by the fucking Joe Danger people. Sure Joe Danger was fine, but come the fuck on they are promising the world with NMS.

androvsky

It looks cool, but I'm still surprised that so many people are so caught up in this supposedly crazy open world game thats made by the fucking Joe Danger people. Sure Joe Danger was fine, but come the fuck on they are promising the world with NMS.
What exactly do you feel they are promising that is unlikely?

I'm surprised you don't know these developers were former AAA developers. This isn't their first merry go round on a big game.

Whenever people ask "what do you do in this game?" this screenshot should be posted. From what I understand and from what I've experienced recently with the old Elite games, it seems like NMS is basically Grand Theft Space Ship, just without any structured missions.

There's a lot more to it than that tho.

wapplew

I was not a fan of space exploration or random generated world, but the hype getting into me a little.
This game still sound too good to be true, but I like the visual and Dino.

I'm so excited for this game. I really hope it delivers. Sean Murrary's dreams are much like mine and this kind of game is something I have wished to exist for years. So here's hoping!

Hopefully we get a release date at E3 :)

*Edit* Wrong Thread!

But to still add to the discussion, I don't quite understand where the accusations of "they never showed any gameplay" come from. The New Yorker piece and numerous live longer demonstrations given by Murrary after E3 show him controller in hand demoing the build of the game. The E3 trailer was only more focused...that wasn't a slight of hand bullshot. In fact, there's footage of him showing him controlling the player character through the world at dev mode speeds so that he can show how the world is being generated in real time from a fixed point from the player character. I'll see if I can dig up that footage and add it as an edit (Check it out here, it's a neat demonstration: https://youtu.be/h-kifCYToAU?t=566)

As for the structure of exploration, I have a gut feeling that whenever a player reaches the core of the galaxy then a new seed will be generated and the map will begin anew, maybe for everyone.

Holy shit at those sounds, some of them are disturbingly convincing. So apart from seeing relatively weird creatures we might be even more shocked and surprised by the sounds they're making, something that hadn't even crossed my mind until now. Imagine landing on a dense jungle planet at night an hearing that almost human scream, not knowing where it's coming from.

Why would he be excited about police GTA'ing him after shooting at neutrals. To be that excited over something so basic makes me wonder how basic this whole thing is.

I would imagine there's a difference between being in GTA, and having cops chasing you, and being in Space, shooting at a ship, flying away into a different planet, and having interplanetary police chasing you down in their ships. Tad bid different.

Holy shit at those sounds, some of them are disturbingly convincing. So apart from seeing relatively weird creatures we might be even more shocked and surprised by the sounds they're making, something that hadn't even crossed my mind until now. Imagine landing on a dense jungle planet at night an hearing that almost human scream, not knowing where it's coming from.

Holy crap that'd be freakin scary man

Great article. While a bit wide-eyed in tone (and I'm sure Sony played a part in securing this interview), it's the kind of writing we don't see enough of in the games industry.

This is perhaps the most compelling part, and really should've been part of the main article (sound design is always getting short shrift). I came in expecting to read that they are manipulating tiger roars with their algorithms, but the fact that the developer digitally modeled vocal organs had my jaw on the floor, especially after hearing the sounds produced by the system. Surprisingly evocative and versatile.

rexor0717

I'm incredibly excited for this game, I cannot imagine what I'd do if there is morpheus support. How am I supposed to do real life stuff?

There's a cool new No Man's Sky forum that got put up recently, if anyone is interested.

It's gonna be poppin when the game releases. I love all of the different sections for documenting things.

RexNovis

Banned
There's a cool new No Man's Sky forum that got put up recently, if anyone is interested.

It's gonna be poppin when the game releases. I love all of the different sections for documenting things.

This is fantastic! Can't wait to start seeing people cataloging worlds, plants, animals and star systems once the game releases. Thanks for sharing

hohoXD123

Actually ended up reading all of it, a great article. This bit at the end in particular was pretty cool:

People at Sony wanted to issue a companion book, and, once he realized that it might be inevitable, he decided to get involved. One afternoon, he met with Dave Gibbons, the co-creator of the “Watchmen” comic series, to discuss his possible role as editor. In the upstairs lounge, they talked excitedly about Philip K. Dick, and about “Terran Trade Authority,” an old sci-fi series that Murray had loved. Then Murray turned toward the flat-screen TV and brought Gibbons onto a snowy mountainous planet, from a build that had been created after E3. “A living, breathing universe,” he said. “I can walk in any direction for days and days, and I will eventually walk the entire planet and come back to where I started.”

“So you could really explore one planet and map it,” Gibbons said.

“For some people, that will be all they do, and they’ll be able to have quite a nice game,” Murray said. He climbed into a ship, and flew through an asteroid belt. “The thing that we haven’t really shown publicly, but I think is really cool, is that if I press a button I can pop out to a galactic map,” he said. He pressed a button, and all of space shrank into a pinpoint of light, representing that solar system.

The galactic map—as bright and compelling as an image from a Carl Sagan documentary—gave the ship’s location by framing its proximate sun in a white square. A panel of text noted the solar system’s computer-generated name, Ethaedair; a diagram of vectors indicated stars that were reachable with the ship’s hyperdrive. “This has been in games before, but it has always been a fake,” Murray said, gesturing to the map. “Normally, it would be a painting that somebody has made, and there would be two little levels that you can go between, or ten levels, each set on a pretend ‘solar system.’ ” Like a magician working toward a showstopper, he added, offhandedly, “But it is quite nice to just pull around . . .” He manipulated his controller, and all of space rotated around Ethaedair’s sun. Stars and plumes of luminous cosmic matter arced past; what had seemed like a two-dimensional representation suddenly revealed itself to be full of depth. Gibbons gasped, and Murray began to speak more softly: “If I pull back a bit, you start to get a sense of the size of what we are building.” Millions of stars drifted by. Gibbons laughed softly. “It’s like a huge box of chocolates!” he said.

“Maybe I should just go a little faster,” Murray said. Light-years of space unfolded at a terrific rate. It may not have been the universe as it actually was, but there was nonetheless an awesome reality on display: the system’s vast mathematics. Murray turned toward a phosphorescent glowing orb. “That’s the center,” he said. This version of the game allowed Murray to leap to any solar system he wanted, but, drawing out the suspense, he moved deeper into the galactic map’s three-dimensional space. “This build was brought together so I could do a demo onstage. I chickened out, because when I press this button, basically, I don’t know what we’re going to see—and it can be a really weird way to end a demo. Something might go terribly wrong. Or we might find a planet that is quite boring. But I can see now that I should have gone with it, because even when it is boring it still is something new.”

Sounds like they're not entirely confident that they can make the 2015 release date, hope Sony doesn't pressure them into releasing it before it's ready because their holiday lineup isn't what they want it to be.

Gusy

GAF... has anyone heard anything about NMS lately?. Is it safe to assume that it will be shown again at E3? Is it realistic to expect it this year?

The radio silence is killing me. I'm becoming borderline obsessed with this game. I don't remember being so excited by a game in such a long time. I think I've already watched most of the important media that its related to the game.. but I need more... :(

GAF... has anyone heard anything about NMS lately?. Is it safe to assume that it will be shown again at E3? Is it realistic to expect it this year?

The radio silence is killing me. I'm becoming borderline obsessed with this game. I don't remember being so excited by a game in such a long time. I think I've already watched most of the important media that its related to the game.. but I need more... :(

Sean is going to be there, so it's safe to assume that NMS will be there as well.

Ferr986

Surely is going to be at E3.

Top Bottom