• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next-Gen "Switch or Stay the Same" Thread

Are you going to switch or stay the same.

• Switch from Xbox to PlayStation

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Switch from PlayStation to Xbox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay with Xbox

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Stay with PlayStation

Votes: 66 68.0%
  • Buy both

Votes: 20 20.6%

• Total voters

Ok gaf, next gen is fast approaching. What's your plan? Are you going to switch from PlayStation to Xbox, Xbox to PlayStation, or stay on the same team?

Personally, I was Xbox this gen and will be switching to PlayStation next gen. I'll be able to play all Microsoft 1st party games on my PC so I won't need a dedicated console.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm afraid I'm gonna stay on Polystation.

They didn't give reasons to switch my console and neither I have problems with my current console(same case with GC, all my stuff are still working so far). In fact, Sony is the one giving me reasons to stay with it.

Can't say I will buy a PS5 because I'm already expecting to be stupidly expansive in my country. But I would buy if they gave me a chance. If not, stay on PS4.

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm afraid I'm gonna stay on Polystation.

They didn't give reasons to switch my console and neither I have problems with my current console(same case with GC, all my stuff are still working so far) In fact, Sony is the one giving me reasons to stay with it.

Can't say I will buy a PS5 because I'm already expecting to be stupidly expansive in my country. But if I would buy if they gave me a chance. If not, stay on PS4.
Even ignoring the exclusives advantage the digital library and promise of backwards compatibility makes leaving a tough proposition. I'm open to it just like I was every generation. But as of now there's been nothing shown to make me even consider it. Still can't believe we just had an E3 where only 1 showed up and I'm not even tempted to go with them.

Even ignoring the exclusives advantage the digital library and promise of backwards compatibility makes leaving a tough proposition. I'm open to it just like I was every generation. But as of now there's been nothing shown to make me even consider it. Still can't believe we just had an E3 where only 1 showed up and I'm not even tempted to go with them.

Yeah, Sony has a good formula down with PlayStation right now. As long as they don't have a major screw up close to or at launch, there isn't much of a reason to switch.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That’s depends entirely on which system has the games I want. If next Xbox do the same thing as they did this gen then I don’t see why I should even bother with them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This gen has been the first where I've owned 'em all, but assuming the following conditions are met...
  • Sony aren't BSing about BC
  • PS5 has a 4K disc player (surely there's no way it can't)
  • MS continue to put all their games on PC
... I'll be trading my Pro and X1X in for a PS5. There'll be almost no reason to own either of the old boxes at that point.

Boss Mog

I switched this gen from the 360 to the PS4, best decision I ever made. This time though there's 100% backwards compatibility from the get go so I will stick to PlayStation since I'm already so heavily invested and their first party titles are 100 times better than Microsoft's at this point, the only thing Sony lacks is more co-op in their first party titles.

Fbh

Unless MS really blow it out of the water with the next Xbox I'm almost definitely sticking with Playstation.

I still vastly prefer what Sony has to offer in terms of exclusives, and with backwards compatibility confirmed it would mean I can bring my rather large Ps4 library over to next gen which is a massive bonus

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
PlayStation will remain my main as I enjoy their exclusives mire thsn any other publisher’s lineup. Switch s d it’s successor will be the secondary Nd most played as I also love many of Nintendo’s games. MS games I’ll either upgrade my PC and play them there or eventually get a next gen Xbox too.

Isa

whynotboth.gif?

I'll be sticking with my Switch for sure, the library is quite large and I've still yet to play most of my games on it, and I'll probably take the wait and see approach with next gen. I think its too early to tell honestly with each company waiting for later reveals on tech, features, and launch window software. BC is nice but its not like current gen systems can't handle their own games (most of the time anyway). I have to admit I do want to chuck my Pro for a PS5 just to never have to hear that stupid jet-engine fan again. My girl and I have a long-running gag now where we jokingly shout at each other over the noise. Its partially why I play my X more now, save for all the Jrpg love the PS4 got.

tl;dr I'll probably just get everything eventually like I always do and then only play like 20% of the stuff I own because I don't have the time. Reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode with that guy who wanted time to read...

Vawn

Banned
I'll have all three, but I expect 95% of the games I want to be on Nintendo + PlayStation - like every generation.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I hope Microsoft makes it hard for me not to pick up their next gen console. This was the first gen I skip the Xbox, even though I have been tempted to buy a X1X.

Granted, I will likely buy a PS5 and I don’t have the space, or time for three consoles so it will likely be Sony.

juliotendo

I always have all consoles from the big 3.

However with Microsoft pushing simultaneous releases on Xbox and PC owning a Microsoft game console doesn’t matter anymore.

Evilms

Banned
PlayStation remains the only consoles in my eyes that have never disappointed me in terms of games library and this since the PS1.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be getting both without question. Dunno what to vote for 🤔

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna stick to playing old games if companies keep making 3rd person shooters with shovelware in between.

I always buy both out of the gate. This generation I sold my xbox after I played the Gears, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Titanfall, and Ryse... and I think there was a Halo in there somewhere. Aside from Ori and Sunset Overdrive the rest were pretty underwhelming and I sold it and basically got almost what I paid for it and never looked back. I always give all the consoles a chance out of the gate and as long as the exclusives keep coming I usually keep them. Hopefully Microsoft picks up their exclusive game next gen. :messenger_robot:

Texas Pride

Banned
I've been a customer of both brands but I've been with Playstation longer. My tribe is on Playstation so we roll together on there. No reason to change tbh.

Zannegan

I haven't seen the systems yet, let alone the games. How could I possibly say?

I guess I can say that an XBox console is less likely, because I plan on getting a PC sometime this gen, and I know I can access the games I want from their library there; but that makes the Xbox ecosystem more likely, so... *shrug* As for whether Sony will be worth a day one buy-in, or a buy-in at all, we'll have to see. Their latest big franchises have been hit-and-miss with me.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I’ll have to see what they’re doing, but I will probably go with PlayStation.

Main reason is that PC (my preferred platform) will get most or all of Microsoft’s first party games, so I’m not missing out on much by not owning an XBox.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Chances are that I will buy Xbox next year and the PS5 afterwards. At least for now that they said the next Xbox will launch next year and PS5 may not arrive untill 2021.

Orpheum

I was a Sony-Pony ever since the PS1 era and i'll continue to be one. The exclusives are just too darn good

Last edited:
Skipped the PS this gen but so im going to get both. Will main the Xbox though because I will never pay for Sony's online service, and the Xbox controller is better.

DonF

I went ps1>ps2>Xbox>ps4 so unless Sony fucks up like in the PS3 gen (pricey, bad third party support, not great game line up for the first years, lesser online) I imagine I'll stick with PlayStation.

Lone Wolf

I’m unsure of what I will buy. I’ve been mainly on Xbox this gen. Jumped in from the beginning because I couldn’t see myself without Halo, and was mostly disappointed with all the Halo offerings. I may just wait it out a bit. I also don’t have the time for every console anymore. I just bought a Mega SG and a Super NT, so I’m getting back into the retro scene. I’ll keep my OneX to try the next Halo on gamepass.

Pimpbaa

I really can't switch to the next xbox considering how many games I have for PS4 and that the PS5 will be backwards compatible. However I can totally see myself owning both eventually (particularly if the next xbox has an increase in exclusives). Hard for me to resist games like the Forza Horizon series.

Aidah

For the current gen, I have both. For next gen, as of now, I'm thinking neither. Both are giving me reasons not to buy them.

Top Bottom