• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next RESIDENT EVIL: What character team-ups do you want to see?

None, please. The (arguably) best sequences in the history of the series are pretty much all solo affairs in my opinion. That sense of isolation is huge. Switching solo characters or occasional companions is fine with me though.

ezekial45

Banned
Speaking of Jake, I'd love to see a Resident Evil action-game starring him. Just go Metal Gear Rising with it, extrapolate the ridiculous aspects of RE for a TPS action game with Jake as the central character. That'd be really great.

As a spin-off, of course. Not main-line.

I really, really just want a single character focus, or at worst, a non intrusive two person team with RE6 style combat (along with some tweaks and enhancements), and more importantly, a return to RE4's gun upgrade and attache case system.

Throw in Raid mode and Mercs and it will be a golden dream game

Who the characters are isn't as much of a concern. I'd take anyone out of the major players.

It's weird, because even in your options given, you have forgotten one pair of characters, who if I am not mistaken, have NEVER interacted in the entire series.

Claire and Jill. They have never interacted in any of the games. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they haven't.

How weird is that? I'd love to see them team up for some monster killing action.

BadWolf

I really, really just want a single character focus, or at worst, a non intrusive two person team with RE6 style combat (along with some tweaks and enhancements), and more importantly, a return to RE4's gun upgrade and attache case system.

I'd rather it not unless they still implement instant weapon switching, otherwise gameplay elements like weapon canceling, reload canceling and just switching between weapons in the heat of combat will go out the window.

And after playing The Evil Within I can honestly say that I don't care for the old gun upgrade system. I much prefer playing with a good gun from the getgo in RE6 than starting with a gimped gun that requires grinding for basic elements.

I fucking HATE how they stuck in an AI controlled partner for the whole single player campaign. I was thinking, can't they just have them in the background, where they are just along for the ride like gears of war? Even fucking revelations 2 has AI controlled partners. Just give me a single player Chris or Leon game, with no partners.

Plasma

Banned
I'd like to see two new characters with no connections to anyone else in the series. It's starting to get a bit comical how many outbreaks these characters seem to witness first hand.

Mupod

I've wanted a Barry/Rebecca game for a long time.

The other two characters I'd like to see back are Billy and Sheva, but I don't think they'd be too interesting as a team. I just want to see Billy facetank more giant scorpions and shit.

Tomodachi

No more teamups ffs. Better yet, different intersecting campains just like RE1-2, each with a single character. Being alone is so much better for building tension, too bad they don't give a shit about that anymore.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Honestly, I'm hoping for new blood, inexperience in a biohazard of some kind.

Best post, it's gotten hard to feel sympathetic dread at this point, they are all way too competent. Bring the new blood!

Barring that, Rebecca probably. Especially if she stayed away from the BSAA & is just a doctor someplace

Reedirect

I'd like them to ditch co-op completely, but since that's obviously not going to happen, I can see two campaigns. One with Leon and Ada, the other with Chris and Jill. Just no more random newcomers that disappear after one game.

Although Moira is pretty cool in RER2. I wouldn't be against an eventual father/daughter team-up with Barry.

Pretty sure "team up" can be taken to mean two solo experiences/separate campaigns. Every RE game has featured at least two playable characters.

That said:

Billy Coen and Carlos Oliveira (the "Who Asked For This?" combo)

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
If by new blood you mean some noob that can't handle RE6 combat then no thanks.

I actually wish they'd get off the fence and make a separate game that fully embraces the gun-fu beat-em-up aesthetic of 6, instead of being only halfway in

Neiteio

Still working out what I want in my head.. How about another episodic structure, Rev-style, switching between multiple groups of characters, in one cohesive narrative...

- Chris and Jill
- Leon and Claire
- Jake and Sherry
- Barry and Rebecca

And they get split up and mixed together at points, I.E. Chris and Leon, Chris and Claire, Claire and Jill, Claire and Sherry, Leon and Sherry, Chris and Jake, Jill and Jake, etc.

Some interesting narrative potential:

- Friendship between Chris and Jill
- Friendship between Jake and Sherry
- RE2 reminiscing between Leon and Claire
- RE1 reminiscing between Barry and Rebecca
- Redfield siblings relate over recent events
- Claire relates to grown-up Sherry
- Leon relates to grown-up Sherry
- Chris gets to know arch-enemy's son
- Jill gets to know brainwasher's son
- Claire catches up with "dad" Barry
- Chris catches up with "dad" Barry
- Jill catches up with old friend Barry

(NOTE: Rev 2 highlights how Barry was like a adoptive father to orphans Chris and Claire)

And so on. If paced well, it would be one heck of a ride.

Honestly, I'm hoping for new blood, inexperience in a biohazard of some kind.

Then what excuse will there be for the Platinum-esque melee combat?
:p

I agree though. At this point there's few characters I would want the focus on given that there's little growth and the last few games the characters are the same cliche caricatures (Leon is whipped in every game, Chris is apparently always going through some new regret/PTSD struggle). As much as I would love to see someone like Rebecca return in order to catch up, I'm sure they'll fall back on what she was in RE0/1.

The sole exception I suppose would be maybe Billy, though again they'll probably just have him again a sullen and smart-ass wronged, on the run individual.

FLD

I don't care who's in it, I just want them to drop the whole multiple campaigns nonsense. It just plain didn't work in RE6, the story was a complete mess. I'd rather they focus on making a single polished campaign, like RE4 and RE5.

I mean, shit, even Revelations' constant jumping around to different characters felt more cohesive and coherent than the mess that was RE6's plot.

BadWolf

I actually wish they'd get off the fence and make a separate game that fully embraces the gun-fu beat-em-up aesthetic of 6, instead of being only halfway in

True but considering how RE5 and RE6 have sold, it's working just fine for the main line series.

Then what excuse will there be for the Platinum-esque melee combat?
:p

Funny you should mention that when the melee in RE6 completely destroys the one in Vanquish.

Neiteio

I don't care who's in it, I just want them to drop the whole multiple campaigns nonsense. It just plain didn't work in RE6, the story was a complete mess. I'd rather they focus on making a single polished campaign, like RE4 and RE5.

I mean, shit, even Revelations' constant jumping around to different characters felt more cohesive and coherent than the mess that was RE6's plot.
The plots in the RER series have been perfectly cohesive. It works especially well in Rev 2.

Corpekata

Banned
The multiple plots in the first Re: Rev are terrible and only served to hamper the game's pacing. It works a lot better in Rev 2 at least.

Neiteio

The multiple plots in the first Re: Rev are terrible and only served to hamper the game's pacing. It works a lot better in Rev 2 at least.
I thought it worked fine, but Rev 2 is an improvement thanks to the shared setting and the time gap between the two characters. Creates a lot of "gee whiz" moments when you see how the events of Claire's half affects the events of Barry's half (even allowing you to skip an entire boss fight, MGS3-style).

Fix 6's problem of the forgettable character like Helena & Piers.
Chris & Jill
Leon & Ada
Rebecca & Barry

Or

1. Chris & Jill together, Rebecca.
2. Chris & Jill together, Rebecca as HQ personnel.
3. Rebecca.
4. Leon & Ada together full time.

New and fresh everything. No returning characters.

Back to basics.

Solo campaign in an isolated setting. Maybe you can have some connectivity by picking up journal entries other players leave behind. Giving you hints or intentionally leaving false information to throw other players off. Maybe killed players will leave behind zombies in the area they previously died, or maybe areas with high player deaths will dynamically cause the zombies in the area to be more powerful.

FLD

The plots in the RER series have been perfectly cohesive. It works especially well in Rev 2.

See the last sentence of the post you quoted. Yeah, the Revelations games are fine. Revelations 2 might have two sides to its narrative but it still feels like a single campaign to me. Whether or not the format ultimately works remains to be seen, though. Halfway through Rev 2 and I kinda feel like not a whole lot has happened so far.

Neiteio

See the last sentence of the post you quoted. Yeah, the Revelations games are fine. Revelations 2 might have two sides to its narrative but it still feels like a single campaign to me. Whether or not the format ultimately works remains to be seen, though.
I read what you wrote. I was disagreeing with you on Rev 1 — I think it worked fine there — but I was agreeing with you on Rev 2, which you and I both like (so far).

Top Bottom