• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Xbox has a heavy Windows slant and will be a reference device for manufacturers making devices like the ASUS ROG Ally most likely.

Mobilemofo

Maybe

I still know people that simply wont game on a full blown PC as they just want that console like experience and not dealing with a PC no matter how easy they have become

Side note -

"the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation" = AI
I am one of those people. I left pc gaming decades ago, and fully intend never to go back. I'll stick with consoles until I can't. Then go mobile.

Buggy Loop

Maybe

I still know people that simply wont game on a full blown PC as they just want that console like experience and not dealing with a PC no matter how easy they have become

But consoles are now PCs. OS is making the hard work of hiding it.

I could make years ago my SFF PC boot immediately into Steam big screen mode after windows load. You basically need QOL OS and hardware such USB wake up feature to turn it on with a controller and it’s a console. SteamOS for hardware is outdated but the steam deck version kinda showcases this. OS that hides everything to user except the game interface, but still can boot to windows? Easy peasy for Microsoft.

Side note -

"the largest technical leap you will have ever seen in a hardware generation" = AI

Most likely yes. Or picking another supplier than AMD 😂

BlackTron

Gold Member
Nintendo stopped making consoles in 2017 and has dominated the gaming industry ever since. Valve is catching on. MS apparently is as well.

Yes, any day now Valve will discontinue their game console, the Steam Deck, making them more like Nintendo, who dominated ever since they stopped making consoles, and started making devices like Steam Deck.

What an exhausting word salad

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Yes, any day now Valve will discontinue their game console, the Steam Deck, making them more like Nintendo, who dominated ever since they stopped making consoles, and started making devices like Steam Deck.

What an exhausting word salad

Steam Deck is a handheld.

Buggy Loop

I know what he meant and I still stand by it. If you knew anything about Steam Machines you’d know what I meant. Steam Machines were heavily overpriced. You could’ve built an equivalent for more than $300 cheaper.

Goodluck if you think you can buy these OEM xboxes for cheaper than a PC.

Oh yeah, valve and Microsoft totally have the same pull, hardware manufacturing capabilities and experience. I see the parallels.

You got it Sherlock

university memory GIF

Stafford

Consoles clearly isn't working for them. So while I am a big Xbox fan this sadly makes sense. Them trying something else. I hope it works out.

I just wonder what I should expect. I don't want to go back to pc gaming because I am not a fan of the whole tinkering with tons of setting thing. So will this be a plug and play thing, still? Also, Idgaf about handhelds, it's about gaming on my big ass TV and I want my gaming devices to be powerful. Hopefully it is that.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Steam Deck is a handheld.

I think we have finally isolated your take: consoles are on the way out, but handhelds are here to stay. If that's the reason, why didn't Microsoft just make their own instead of license it out? Valve makes their own handheld. Also, someone at Sony must have forgot to send MS the memo not to stop selling consoles until after they stop raking in cash.

My friend, MS is not pivoting as some brilliant preemptive strike move to get out of consoles "before it's too late". They just stopped making money on it already, like yesterday. Sony has been selling more PS5s than 4s. At no point are they going to say "Oh no. If only we had known the console market was going to crater in 8 years, we wouldn't have made all that money on PS5. Whoops! Should have stopped sooner, like Microsoft!" Literally in your dreams buddy.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Another one for the history books.

landofmakebelieve.gif

Buggy Loop

Sir, I would highly advise you to read the title of this very thread

I suggest you read again

Nothing Jez Corden said alludes to that. Being a reference is not 3rd party licensing. The guy in the tweet asked the question because he’s not understanding. That guy asking questions is not the source that spawned this thread, Corden is.

Of course if it’s windows OS, nothing stops 3rd parties from competing, just like Surface has alternatives. But nothing about this says that Microsoft relegates everything to 3rd parties like Steam tried to do with Steam box.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Consoles clearly isn't working for them. So while I am a big Xbox fan this sadly makes sense. Them trying something else. I hope it works out.

I just wonder what I should expect. I don't want to go back to pc gaming because I am not a fan of the whole tinkering with tons of setting thing. So will this be a plug and play thing, still? Also, Idgaf about handhelds, it's about gaming on my big ass TV and I want my gaming devices to be powerful. Hopefully it is that.

It isn't much tinkering to be honest. And with physical media basically dead, I would rather do that than settle for a 30/60 FPS low quality experience.

Stafford

It isn't much tinkering to be honest. And with physical media basically dead, I would rather do that than settle for a 30/60 FPS low quality experience.

I have been good with consoles for many years now. I actually appreciate the ease of use. Just a box next to the TV and done. When I was younger I was fine with buying parts and installing them myself, but I also had a lot of headaches when it comes to games crashing for any kind of reasons or despite having the best parts available games still running badly. No idea how that is nowadays, but I don't want to go back to that.

Woopah

Why do you think Nintendo dominates the gaming industry in Japan? It's not because you can dock a Switch to a TV.
Because Japan prefers handheld devices due to their culture you mong. This isn't new.
Nintendo does well in Japan because Switch is the place where you can play most of the country's most popular games. Some of those games cannot be played in handheld mode and some of them put a lot of focus on local, same screen multiplayer

Does the Switch benefit in Japan from being a portable console? Absolutely. But it also benefits from being a home console.

wolffy66

The system wars will be even crazier on this forum. The birth of a new tier that's less than a super rig PC but way better than a $500 console. A lot of these guys are gonna get a taste of PC gaming through that Xbox then just go full PC down the line.
Cross play gaming is already causing the switch to pc. Let's face it, pc has the performance, the games, the options, the mods. It's just the superior platform. And the community.

I play with a lot of friends that are on PC thanks to discord and cross play, it's pretty easy now. More and more of us switch to pc. It's only money that holds people back at this point.

twilo99

Razer would sell it for $3k at least.

They are the company with the most overpriced products ever.

Besides the reference design from MS, which is likely to be the highest quality if the xsx is anything go by, who else can put together something like that which isn't made out of cheap plastic? Maybe Asus but they are hit/miss

This thing here can easily be transformed into an "xbox experience" box, getting rid of the screen and Win11 license should shave off ~$300 and since this hypothetical "xbox" won't be out for a year the price should dip under $1000.

but anyway I think looking at gaming laptops will give you an idea of what might be possible from the OEMs

Last edited:
Remember when nintendo asked sony to develop playstation, but scrapped it? Then sony was entering the console market and everybody was shitting that it doesnt have a mascot hero like sega/nintendo and sony and it would be doom for them?

It is my speculation that MS is working towards gaming where it is not limited by local hardware but tapping into computational power of AI through the CLOUD. Remember cloud gaming? Both AI and cloud is the future where developers can tap into almost unlimited computational power. A traditional console box form factor is going to be dead, just 2-3 generations more at best. Xbox branding-marketing is dead, but gaming isnt. We will see realism at a much-accelerated pace with MS.

ARM is also the future for mobile gaming with 5G connection and soon 6G.

OEMS can also contribute by releasing their own proprietary technology that can offer unique game experiences such as: controllers, VR headsets, Augmented Reality, etc.

The possibilities are all there, and being locked into comparing to Sony or even Nintendo is just constraining yourself. Things have changed and evolved drastically.

I think the future looks bright. Something must die in order to give birth to something new, otherwise it's going to drag and drown you.

Like D DeltaPolarBear was saying, server maintenance costs are going to negate any of the cost savings in making native hardware to sell to customers directly. For starters, MS would need an instance of hardware targeting native computation in their server for each buyer of a client device who is streaming it. Then they would need the networking backend to facilitate the stream in addition to the processing...for every single client device.

So yes maybe hypothetically some future where the hardware is cheap enough to only be streaming sticks gets them 100+ million clients, but then they're going to need 100+ million Series X+ levels of native hardware installed in their servers to ensure those clients can get the best possible stream quality they are paying a subscription to access. And that is on top of the maintenance costs not just to run the servers, but to repair whenever things break down due to wear & tear.

The only possible way it works out financially for a company like MS is if the customer subscription costs more than cover what they'd have to spend in server equipment, maintenance, and facilitation of streaming the content. But that would mean additional changes to the current Game Pass setup, such as going with fixed locked-in annual/2-year contracts to prevent drop in/out churn (which would negatively impact dependable revenue rates). It'd also assume those clients have some really good internet in their area, and high-quality stable, low-latency internet isn't too common in places like America.

And I don't necessarily mean high bandwidth; i.e a 50 Mbps down internet service would do just fine for 4K cloud streaming if the the network has excellent reliability in packet transmission and low latency, and the game streaming service has great compression at low latency with little to no artifacting or image quality loss. But how many people do you really think have that type of internet and how often or good do you really think something like xCloud is at delivering that type of streaming?

I think the future Xbox consoles would work better to showcase the latest DirectX features, like incorporating DirectStorage as standard to help grow an install base and increase adoption of technologies on the Windows side.

I mean, isn't this what Xbox consoles have been doing since the get-go? They were gonna be called Direct X-box for a reason :/

Valve will also release a "home console", like the did a portable with Steamdeck.
Then 3rd party will make SteamOS consoles lile they are gonna make these windows machines for xbox

Oh yeah, that's 100% happening. Won't be surprised if Valve re-introduce Steam Machines a couple years after the Steam Deck 2 launches. They seem to have learned their lessons from last time so the product should be a lot more successful next go-around.

That could really pose a challenge for this future Xbox hardware Microsoft want to do. Good news for Microsoft is they can theoretically release probably a couple years early. Bad news is, I don't think they can integrate Xbox OS features, usability, UI and stability (let alone emulator support for OG Xbox, 360, and XBO games) into Windows by 2026. I think they would need longer.

And the longer they'd take, the less time they'd have to get ahead of Valve likely re-launching Steam Machines to complement the Steam Deck. An easier option for MS, IMO, would be to "bring Windows to Xbox", but that'd require doing things I don't know are actually being considered right now. For example, designing a custom SoC & embedded spec, still manufacturing some of the hardware themselves, and adding some Windows functions to Xbox OS (like an Extended Mode) to natively run whitelisted Windows apps on Xbox OS.

Also that type of approach would entail something closer business model-wise to the current consoles, at least more so than what it sounds like they would be planning otherwise. For example, access to alt storefronts would need to be tied to a subscription (likely Game Pass), and maybe the hardware is priced for profit margins of 10% instead of 30% or 40%. They could still keep production of volume low, just not AS low as if they were making literal gaming-focused PC NUCs or other devices priced at much higher MSRPs.

Is the Xbox brand popular enough for the “Xbox experience” to be successful, or will it just get ignored?

That's the big question and it's gonna depend on how exactly MS go about this.

It sounds like they're going for a very decentralized approach. Maybe not even making the hardware themselves, but defining some spec (not even through a custom console SoC with purpose-made ASICs etc.) that OEMs build around. And that's in addition to possibly ditching Xbox OS as the primary OS and using some version of Windows instead with Xbox features integrated to it. In that scenario, I don't necessarily know what OEMs would be paying for outside of the Windows license (which they already pay for to include on their other devices) and an Xbox branded sticker.

Which I guess would satisfy things on the lowest possible end, though IMO might not be the most optimal way. And by "optimal" I mean encompassing everything. While I did think the idea of "bringing Xbox to Windows" would be the way MS went going forward, is it possibly too far away to realize that in a way that'd feel 1:1 to a current console experience, in time for the next 2-4 years?

So I'm really a bit at odds to which direction they go with hardware moving forward.

Astray

Besides the reference design from MS, which is likely to be the highest quality if the xsx is anything go by, who else can put together something like that which isn't made out of cheap plastic? Maybe Asus but they are hit/miss

This thing here can easily be transformed into an "xbox experience" box, getting rid of the screen and Win11 license should shave off ~$300 and since this hypothetical "xbox" won't be out for a year the price should dip under $1000.

but anyway I think looking at gaming laptops will give you an idea of what might be possible from the OEMs
Why are you assuming that Microsoft is going to make a reference version at volume?

Also that $1800 laptop is exactly what won't sell units at all. I think even 20m total across all OEMs will be tough to get to.

demigod

Oh yeah, valve and Microsoft totally have the same pull, hardware manufacturing capabilities and experience. I see the parallels.

You got it Sherlock

university memory GIF

I suggest you read again

Nothing Jez Corden said alludes to that. Being a reference is not 3rd party licensing. The guy in the tweet asked the question because he’s not understanding. That guy asking questions is not the source that spawned this thread, Corden is.

Of course if it’s windows OS, nothing stops 3rd parties from competing, just like Surface has alternatives. But nothing about this says that Microsoft relegates everything to 3rd parties like Steam tried to do with Steam box.

Re-read the OP, Holmes. 3rd parties are also making these devices, just like steam machines and the recently overpriced handhelds. These will be priced with high margins. Goodluck if you think these will be priced under $500.

Top Bottom