• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightmare Returns: Giant Eels are in Mario Odyssey

I don't know if this has been covered on GAF yet, but while watching Giant Bomb's Unfinished on Mario Odyssey I saw something I'd hoped we, as a society, had left behind in 1996.

They're back...
m64eelxkx3b.jpg

Maximo

I hate water levels they freak me the fuck out, reminds me of the snakes in Majora's Mask...was always on nerve.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
They were in the New Super Mario Bros series, actually, but this is the most photorealistic they’ve been depicted yet

RPGam3r

And i said I would go on a complete media blackout. Fuck. Game is going to be insanely good.

Can't do a media blackout when thread titles say the cool thing that would have otherwise been neat surprise only known by people who watched the videos mentioned in the OP.

Unagis have actually been in a few games since Mario 64. They're in New Super Mario Bros., and one large one is in Dolphin Shoals in Mario Kart 8.

800px-Mega_Unagi_MK8.jpg

Zubz

Banned
I always thought the eels'd look less creepy in a non-90's polygonal artstyle. Especially because, remembering thanks to the above post, they were not as creepy in other games they've appeared in since 1996. But... Holy schneikes, are they scarier.

I'm legitimately proud of Nintendo for pulling it off.

Kinsei

Banned
Eels are a 3D Mario staple at this point. If there's a water level then there's most likely going to be at least one eel.

The birth of my phobia for water levels. I was so scared of him that "Can The Eel Come Out To Play?" ended up being my last star in Mario 64.

He looks terrifying now; like, at least ten times scarier. Why, Nintendo?!?

Weren't they in Galaxy too?

Never got why people freaked out over these eels so much.

Those were Gringills. Still eels, but a separate species from Unagi.

(deepest lore)

Unagis have actually been in a few games since Mario 64. They're in New Super Mario Bros., and one large one is in Dolphin Shoals in Mario Kart 8.

800px-Mega_Unagi_MK8.jpg

He looks so dang goofy in MK8 that I wasn't too bothered. Can you imagine if Odyssey's version was in that game? I don't think I'd have the courage to finish Dolphin Shoals.

Considering his was in the direct from the photo mode section, it was known.
mario_odyssey_photo_mode.png

Given the information overload that comes with these presentations, I'm not surprised this slipped under the radar.

They were in the New Super Mario Bros series, actually, but this is the most photorealistic they’ve been depicted yet

Weren't they in Galaxy too?

Never got why people freaked out over these eels so much.

They're in pretty much every Mario game tho?

I admit to not playing every Mario game, so I wasn't sure. I never see people bring up the later revisions when talking about it, so I guess they slipped by me. Either way, the new ones still look freaky as hell.

I even did some research and found some examples in "newer" titles for comparison.

SM3D Land:

Galaxy (2?):

NSMB:

Dyle

Unagi was never as scary as this monster. Hopefully Nintendo kept him in 64 where he belongs, I was never able to play on a grand piano again

4958290775421055_l_5242.jpg

Someone needs to call Kirby.

RelievedHarmoniousGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

This was what finally showed the world that Kirby is a bad guy not a cute hero

Gorillaz

As a kid that level in Mario 64 was completely ruined by the eels, like I wasn't trying to get in the water at all because of that. I shit you not.

and it's sad because the music in that world was so great

Can't do a media blackout when thread titles say the cool thing that would have otherwise been neat surprise only known by people who watched the videos mentioned in the OP.

I understand this kind of feeling, but there really wasn't a way to title the thread without it and not make it extremely vague/nigh-on useless. If you are really worried about any possible spoilers for a property you enjoy, I highly recommend Unspoiler. I've used it to avoid hearing about things like UFC results and even about Episode VII when I couldn't see until months after its release. Works like a charm.

Luigi87

*curls into a ball*
No... please no... no more... no more eels Nintendo... no no no no no no.... No... please...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I love how its tradition in 3D Mario to have incredibly terrifying underwater sea creatures and eels

Cerium

Part of what made the original eel so scary was the vastness of that water though. Just wide open, nothing between you and the eel. You knew the eel owned that place. Here the space looks more more cavernous? I'm not sure the effect will be as intimidating.

Is it just me or does that eel not have any hat... Can we be that thing? I mean we can be a T-Rex...

Oh snap.

Honestly when I was much younger I was terrified of the Eely Mouth boss in Sunshine the first time I saw it.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The music didn't help.

Top Bottom