• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

XNarte

I traded the Xbox copy of Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams and a loose duplicate Link to the Past/Four Swords GBA that I already own for a loose copy of Ogre Battle 64.

Good deal?

YES. I never played this game before but have always wanted it and I love it so far! It sounds odd saying this, but it feels like a PS One game on the N64, in that there are so few JRPGs and SRPGs on the system that it is a welcome addition.

What a lovely story. So nice that it's become a cherished memory.
Hear, hear! I own the game on the Wii VC from ages ago, but haven't really played it much (maybe 30 minutes). It's gaming memories like this that make me still appreciate gaming...nothing quite matches up to the experiences I've had with gaming as a child.

Dereck

What is this?

1175587_10151674665503087_954776035_n.jpg

I traded the Xbox copy of Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams and a loose duplicate Link to the Past/Four Swords GBA that I already own for a loose copy of Ogre Battle 64.

Good deal?

YES. I never played this game before but have always wanted it and I love it so far! It sounds odd saying this, but it feels like a PS One game on the N64, in that there are so few JRPGs and SRPGs on the system that it is a welcome addition.

Yeah, Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite N64 game. Nice trade in your favor. I think LTTP is better on SNES anyway.

Some of my interesting BS.
OP I saw you have this too.
Japanese Ocarina of Time 0.1
yms3P8c.jpg

Anyone know anything about this. It's a small Japanese Ocarina of Time guide book that came with it. Never knew these existed (for obvious reasons) but still....
yms3P8cl.jpg

ML8rLlbl.jpg

Perfect Goldeneye and Gold Majoras Mask
cmlIsAul.jpg

Japanese Pokemon Stadium 2(or 3). Huge box too.
4NqgwGTl.jpg

Goes well with my Japanese GameBoy Colour Pokemon: Gold and Silver
8xoGQQul.jpg

Love the N64

Coreda

Anyone know anything about this. It's a small Japanese Ocarina of Time guide book that came with it. Never knew these existed (for obvious reasons) but still....

Nice little collection there. Always feels more substantial when games come with all the extra pieces. As much as cardboard boxes aren't so great for casual storage they can feel a bit more collectible due to their delicacy I think.

I don't know anymore than you do about the guide but gave me an excuse to post some images I took of the OoT JP version a while back ;P. Came with a promo sheet for Link's Awakening DX for the GBC.

Dereck

Nice little collection there. Always feels more substantial when games come with all the extra pieces. As much as cardboard boxes aren't so great for casual storage they can feel a bit more collectible due to their delicacy I think.

I don't know anymore than you do about the guide but gave me an excuse to post some images I took of the OoT JP version a while back ;P. Came with a promo sheet for Link's Awakening DX for the GBC.
For a second I thought that was a reprint.

Anth0ny

What is this?

1175587_10151674665503087_954776035_n.jpg

That would be the Blockbuster Video Pokemon Stadium kiosk that would print pictures from the picture snapping mode in Pokemon Stadium. Getting some nostalgia chills right about now.

RIP in peace Blockbuster ; _ ;

Awesome pictures. Makes me want to import some Zelda games right about now lol

Some of my interesting BS.
yms3P8c.jpg

yms3P8cl.jpg

ML8rLlbl.jpg

Perfect Goldeneye and Gold Majoras Mask
cmlIsAul.jpg

Japanese Pokemon Stadium 2(or 3). Huge box too.
4NqgwGTl.jpg

Goes well with my Japanese GameBoy Colour Pokemon: Gold and Silver
8xoGQQul.jpg

Love the N64
Weird those MM and Goldeneye boxes look nothing like my AU PAL originals. Did the EU boxes not have the red/yellow side strip?

D-e-f-

Banned
Weird those MM and Goldeneye boxes look nothing like my AU PAL originals. Did the EU boxes not have the red/yellow side strip?

Australia got the US box designs (for the Zelda games at least, not familiar with the others).

look, this is what EU-PAL boxes looked like:
51W1M1BWXPL._SX385_.jpg

51N8ZGBZNTL._SX385_.jpg

51JA9MSB1HL._SX342_.jpg

51eAdm1k1uL._SX342_.jpg

51QV3SGR6ML._SX385_.jpg

41Lpc%2BvC8CL._SL500_SX450_.jpg

61256P16WHL._SX342_.jpg

Those "black box around the whole outside" PAL boxes are really awful looking... and is PAL Turok 2 even bumpy like it should be, or is it just flat? And RE2... :lol. Poor Europe, worst N64 packaging for sure.

D-e-f-

Banned
I want that resident evil 2 box haha. awesome

That's actually the general Japanese / European box art. Only the US got that dude looking around the corner design.

198458_10836_front.jpg

198458_94503_front.jpg

28kgrhqrqwe-y6dphphbpuwxr4.jpg

535837_44599_front.jpg

Later ports received a different box art design in Japan:
198457_15083_front.jpg

436972_15097_front.jpg

535837_5431_front.jpg

Never realised that but it looks like we got the better option based on those boxes.

Really? I disagree in most cases (esp. the Zelda boxes! Majora's Mask EU box stomps the US box into the ground!)

Those "black box around the whole outside" PAL boxes are really awful looking... and is PAL Turok 2 even bumpy like it should be, or is it just flat? And RE2... :lol. Poor Europe, worst N64 packaging for sure.

Yes, Turok 2 was "bumpy" (isn't there a proper word for that?). And see above re: RE2.

Though I agree that the US design looks the least terrible and it's the one I've always known

zaneiken

Neo Member
I've noticed a few people praising the analog stick on the Hori mini controllers - well there's another alternative.

3bqz.jpg

I'm sure most have seen these GameCube-style replacement sticks on eBay and other online stores. Although they seem over-sensitive, it's actually due to them having poor accuracy. There is a
guy in Germany who makes a replacement PCB for these stick replacements that rectifies these issues.

If you have some basic soldering skills, I can't recommend these enough. I have four of these kits and pulling off Link's spin attacks in Zelda OoT/MM, smash attacks in SSB, and general aiming in GoldenEye are perfect.

It feels like a stock controller, but without the durability issues.

Vexxan

Took a while but I finally got my matching Hori Mini Pad controller in the mail today, too bad the customs and the post office put a ridiculous fee on it which I had to pay to get the item so I ended up paying almost $90 for it.

Coreda

Took a while but I finally got my matching Hori Mini Pad controller in the mail today, too bad the customs and the post office put a ridiculous fee on it which I had to pay to get the item so I ended up paying almost $90 for it.

Love the sexy red glow.

Been playing a bunch of N64 games since I put the HBC on my Wii.

Of the ones I've put on there Tetrisphere has held my attention the longest with Rush 2 in second place (underrated IMO). Both have held up really well.

Coreda

Found this on Craiglist in Vegas today:

00000_3Rr3pS8nKmr_600x450.jpg

That's rad.

(EDIT)
But not $400 rad.

On the right is an iQue, which I don't think has been mentioned so far. I'm sure some have heard ot it, it was a kind of Nintendo 64 built for custom flash cart re-releases into a single controller, made for the Asian market in collaboration with Nintendo.

An interesting, if failed/half-baked idea. Only 14 games were released for it, including Zelda OoT, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, and Animal Crossing among others.

4308220795_4309b1721e12q8d.jpg

On the right is an iQue, which I don't think has been mentioned so far. I'm sure some have heard ot it, it was a kind of Nintendo 64 built for custom flash cart re-releases into a single controller, made for the Asian market in collaboration with Nintendo.

An interesting, if failed/half-baked idea. Only 14 games were released for it, including Zelda OoT, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario 64, and Animal Crossing among others.

4308220795_4309b1721e12q8d.jpg

Can you really call it failed though? It was released extremely limited in China (a market that bans consoles) after the GameCube had launched. What could you expect? And at the very least it appears as if it did well enough to warrant a 3DS iQue.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
$T2eC16dHJHQFFgue+ok6BSJbK!utJ!~~60_57.JPG

So I bought this last week.. PAL version...

for a ridiculous amount of money >_> but I had money and why the fuck not.

-KRS-

Cool! I've only played a little of it, but it was actually surprisingly playable from what I remember. Obviously you can't play as fast as on a PC with keyboard shortcuts and whatnot, but it's fun none the less. :)

Is a cart expensive? I'm guessing it is since I can't actually remember ever having seen it on the auction site I frequent.

Zalman

Here are some pictures I took when I got Universal Game Cases for my N64 collection. Maybe some of you are interested in what they look like.

UGC_zps4ebad761.png

This is my entire collection for this system. It's not nearly as big as some of my others, but it covers the most important games to me. A lot of you would say I'm missing classics like Goldeneye, but I have personally no connection to that game. It wasn't a part of my childhood. I think I covered everything I wanted for the N64 so I'm quite happy with it.

nkarafo

and is PAL Turok 2 even bumpy like it should be, or is it just flat? And RE2... :lol. Poor Europe, worst N64 packaging for sure.

Ι have a boxed copy of Turok 2 PAL and yes, its bumpy.

Dunno if we had the worst packaging. I was very busy being annoyed by the terrible 50hz PAL ports.

-KRS-

Ι have a boxed copy of Turok 2 PAL and yes, its bumpy.

Dunno if we had the worst packaging. I was very busy being annoyed by the terrible 50hz PAL ports.

And that awful image quality on PAL N64s. Yuck. It's a shame. :(
Somehow they managed to make S-video output look worse than composite on PAL N64s!

HolyCheck

how much exactly? I paid like $30-40 two or three years ago for my boxed copy. (NTSC import)

hahaha... try.. about $650USD

PAL wasnt released outside of AUS.. no euro release

Cool! I've only played a little of it, but it was actually surprisingly playable from what I remember. Obviously you can't play as fast as on a PC with keyboard shortcuts and whatnot, but it's fun none the less. :)

Is a cart expensive? I'm guessing it is since I can't actually remember ever having seen it on the auction site I frequent.

Yeh it's not too bad, i had a friend over and we played it and it was surprisingly good! obviously not as good as PC, but theres some neat little things such as the dpad can be mapped to certain areas on the map.

cart goes for about 150usd-200 or more depending on condition

-KRS-

hahaha... try.. about $650USD

PAL wasnt released outside of AUS.. no euro release

Yeh it's not too bad, i had a friend over and we played it and it was surprisingly good! obviously not as good as PC, but theres some neat little things such as the dpad can be mapped to certain areas on the map.

cart goes for about 150usd-200 or more depending on condition

Ah I was gonna ask about the Australian rating on the box. I guess that explains why I've never seen it on that auction site. And damn, that's pretty steep. o_O

Interesting that it only came out in Australia and not Europe. Was Starcraft big there at the time? They also got that collector's edition of Ocarina of Time. Are there other stuff for N64 that only came out in Australia?

HolyCheck

Ah I was gonna ask about the Australian rating on the box. I guess that explains why I've never seen it on that auction site. And damn, that's pretty steep. o_O

Interesting that it only came out in Australia and not Europe. Was Starcraft big there at the time? They also got that collector's edition of Ocarina of Time. Are there other stuff for N64 that only came out in Australia?

no idea why it was only released here, apparently it was going to be released in eu but got cancelled, it didnt sell much so most people guestimate theres no more than 5k or so copies.

dunno on the last bit.. only gotten into collecting recently and havent seen much else too noteworthy, snowboard kids 2 maybe, but that probably came out in euro

D-e-f-

Banned

I think we found out earlier that Nintendo Australia seems to have gotten their stuff mostly from NoA and not NoE like these days since they used the US-layout for the N64 box designs. Or it was mix of everything since they got StarCraft 64 (no EU release) and Terranigma (no US release). Or they switched to NoA after the SNES era and then switched back after N64 was over.

The second I get out of Uni and get a somewhat decent income,
however unlikely
i'm going to collect the shit out of N64 goodies - watch this space.

IrishNinja

^god, those boxes are gorgeous...but that may be the first time i saw the 64DD boxed, as well, and with the games to boot! seriously man, drooling over here

Seik

Banned
The Japanese boxes are way better.

I only have Zelda OoT and S&P and the boxes are made in shiny plastic and way more solid than the cheap ones we have. :/

Top Bottom