• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

IrishNinja

anecdotal but yeah, so many N64 systems/games on craigslist here looking like someone tried to smoke out of them or something, haha

and that's another point for camp sega: nintendo never sold a cart in a box worth a damn, thank god the disc era eventually forced the change

Teknoman

anecdotal but yeah, so many N64 systems/games on craigslist here looking like someone tried to smoke out of them or something, haha

and that's another point for camp sega: nintendo never sold a cart in a box worth a damn, thank god the disc era eventually forced the change

I wonder what made Sega switch the cardboard near the end?

Teknoman

Cost I'm sure. Cardboard is a lot cheaper than molded plastic.

Of course, but i'd think the quality of the plastic wasnt that high as to make a big difference in savings. Then again, maybe i'm underestimating the cost in bulk.

I kinda wish they at least kept with the way Super Famicom and original GB games were packed. Cardboard boxes with plastic insert trays instead of cardboard insert trays.

Funnily enough, Sega went back to plastic almost immediately after switching to cardboard... but I don't think anyone will claim that the Saturn's longboxes were particularly sturdy things.

IrishNinja

I wonder what made Sega switch the cardboard near the end?

cost effectiveness is always my guess...ill never forget buying Phantasy Star IV for like $100 and getting a cheap box and b&w manual. don't get me wrong, top 10 JRPG but still

N64 DD boxes aren't so bad; really wish they'd taken the same approach to their regular games too.

i never saw one, what're they like?

Funnily enough, Sega went back to plastic almost immediately after switching to cardboard... but I don't think anyone will claim that the Saturn's longboxes were particularly sturdy things.

no doubt...was it you or one of the other retro-GAF regulars that said saturn boxes were basically refitted Sega CD leftover ones?

Recall

mintHHeaven.jpg

Kainazzo

i never saw one, what're they like?

mbiKcA8Vuq4oZHPIo6Orjfw.jpg

simanddoshin.jpg

Proprietary plastic cases, much like PAL Dreamcast ones, but are actually pretty tough; the plastic's thicker than jewel cases. The disks aren't much smaller than the cartridges, so it's not hard to imagine slightly larger ones doing the same job. Would've been nice to have all N64 games in these, but I suppose the cost was just too high.

no doubt...was it you or one of the other retro-GAF regulars that said saturn boxes were basically refitted Sega CD leftover ones?
Probably somebody else, but it's totally true. I got Flink for the Sega CD and Dragon Force for the Saturn from the same eBay seller, and the boxes are identical (if you look past how Sega CD boxart favors blue while Saturn favors white).

IrishNinja

^ makes sense

also Kainazzo, never saw those before, but your'e right, i like the cases! stupid question but if i ever wanted a 64 DD id need to put it on a JP N64, or could i make it work with a US one? the carts are easy to work around the region (same as the SNES really) but i dunno at all about that

Kainazzo

^ makes sense

also Kainazzo, never saw those before, but your'e right, i like the cases! stupid question but if i ever wanted a 64 DD id need to put it on a JP N64, or could i make it work with a US one? the carts are easy to work around the region (same as the SNES really) but i dunno at all about that

Fully US compatible, just plug it in and it works. PAL systems can have issues however, and a JP copy of F-Zero X is required to use the Expansion Kit. Also, if it ever has trouble reading disks and you need to open it to clean the reader, know that it is a pain. They crammed a lot of tech inside the DD and it's all mechanical, couple that with a lack of tutorials and it's not easy.

Just for fun I sized up a DD box with a cartridge and they would fit perfectly if some of the plastic were shaved out; there's even room inside for the manual. Now I'm really disappointed they didn't use them :(

I wish there was a N64 emulator out there that was as good as Xebra is with PS1 emulation. I'd love to get my multiplayer Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on (reliably) without having to pull out the old 64.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Fun fact about Hybrid Heaven: The game was translated/localized by Agness Kaku, the woman significantly more known for her work on Metal Gear Solid 2 and I believe all but a handful of the most recent Katamari Damacy games. There are some interesting anecdotes on the making of the English edition of that game in an interview Hardcore Gaming conducted with her a while back that are tied to a larger story surrounding the politics of dealing with Konami as a client. It's interesting stuff coming out of what's largely believed to be a throwaway game.

Kainazzo

Fun fact about Hybrid Heaven: The game was translated/localized by Agness Kaku, the woman significantly more known for her work on Metal Gear Solid 2 and I believe all but a handful of the most recent Katamari Damacy games. There are some interesting anecdotes on the making of the English edition of that game in an interview Hardcore Gaming conducted with her a while back that are tied to a larger story surrounding the politics of dealing with Konami as a client. It's interesting stuff coming out of what's largely believed to be a throwaway game.

Fun read, thanks! I can't imagine all of the behind-the-scenes info that must be out there, and with Konami making them take down the files even without a NDA, we'll probably have to wait for the companies to fold before we ever see it.

DSXBoy

My favorite N64 games are:

1. Goldeneye 007
2. Super Mario 64
3. Wave Race 64
4. 1080 Snowboarding
5. F Zero X
6. Mario Kart 64
7. Excitebike 64
8. Starfox 64
9. Banjo Kazooie
10. Diddy Kong Racing
11. Zelda -- Ocarina of Time

Huh, this post taught me something.

Namely, that Hardcore Gaming 101 isn't a blocked site anymore. When'd that happen? It's a change I support wholeheartedly, I'm just surprised.

IrishNinja

Kainazzo - good to know, thanks man! gonna grab one one day, then revisit this thread to see if there's anything to hunt down beyond that Mario Paint 2 one, F-zero & AC

Pepsimi - nice link, reading soon!

Huh, this post taught me something.

Namely, that Hardcore Gaming 101 isn't a blocked site anymore. When'd that happen? It's a change I support wholeheartedly, I'm just surprised.

a while back when stumps got promoted to admin, we'd been going back & forth over him trying to resolve the issue and he was awesome about making a priority of it, it was a silly mess caused by what looked like a google error that was quickly fixed, just glad to have them back here.

VARIA

I've been aching to get an Everdrive 64 (N64 flash cart) to play the protoype Robotech: Crystal Dreams on it. Things sell for over 100 bucks, so I'm a bit hesitant at the moment.

Any one else familiar with some protoype/unreleased N64 games that somehow made it online?

Hrmm, was Xenoblade supposed to come with an artbook? I bought one of those "Vintage" copies, and it didn't. Pre-order bonus, or something?

(Yes yes I know this is the N64 topic not the Xenoblade topic shut up)

D-e-f-

Banned
Hrmm, was Xenoblade supposed to come with an artbook? I bought one of those "Vintage" copies, and it didn't. Pre-order bonus, or something?

(Yes yes I know this is the N64 topic not the Xenoblade topic shut up)

It was a first run or pre-order thing definitely. This "vintage" scam thing obviously won't have new prints of the artbook.

I've been aching to get an Everdrive 64 (N64 flash cart) to play the protoype Robotech: Crystal Dreams on it. Things sell for over 100 bucks, so I'm a bit hesitant at the moment.

Any one else familiar with some protoype/unreleased N64 games that somehow made it online?
First, I know of three complete but never-released games which have leaked roms. First, Mini Racers leaked a while ago; it's a top-view racing game that Nintendo (who was to be the publisher) sat on and never released, even though it was completed before its developer, Looking Glass's console team (they did Destruction Derby 64), went out of business. 40 Winks (3d platform/action game) is another unreleased game which seems to be complete, and which has leaked (the game was released on PS1, but not N64). It has to have been very close to release before being cancelled. And last (and certainly least), O.D.T. (3d action/platformer) also was to have an N64 version, but it was cancelled after completion, like these other two games. The game was released on PS1 and PC, but not N64. No loss; it's a quite poor game, I think, though I've only played it for PS1 and not N64.

As for games with protos, alpha/beta releases, and such out there as playable roms, there's Tommy Thunder (third person shooter or something; the game was moved to PS1 during development, but ended up cancelled), Wildwaters (another canned racing game from the Looking Glass console team, this was a wildwater kayak racing game, one race is playable), Toon Panic (3d arena combat fighting game; the multiplayer mode is playable but incomplete, and there's no single player), Glover 2 (you can run around in one area, I think), and perhaps some more. These are just prototypes though, not much gameplay there. Still, they're pretty interesting to look at. Robotech: Crystal Dreams goes in this category as well, of course.

Dwayne

There's translation patches for Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Earth and Wonder Project J2: Koruro no Mori no Josette as well.

Christopher

Pokemon Stadium, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 Goldeneye, Super Smash Brothers Zelda OoT, Zelda Majoras Mask, Donkey Kong 64, and Diddy Kong Racing

Opening and playing Mario 64 all week was the BEST Christmas I've ever had.

Appreciation x100.

Just bought a Pikachu Limited Edition N64, with the hook ups and Star Wars Rogue Squadron, what should I get next?

(I think 55$ including shipping was not a bad deal for the version in good condition)

I have so many great memories of that console. I would seriously pay 60 bucks for a perfect full HD remake of Mario 64. That game blew my mind playing it on a pre release kiosk at a Toys r Us

Teknoman

Why would you need an S&P translation patch? All the voices are in english anyway, and you dont need anything but your reflexes and get bonus.

EDIT: Gameshark 64 should work as an adapter too I think.

Dwayne

Why would you need an S&P translation patch? All the voices are in english anyway, and you dont need anything but your reflexes and get bonus.
Probably to translate the Japanese into English so people can read it? The point it doesn't have much text makes it a lot less work to translate, which might be another reason it got done.

Bar81

I have so many great memories of that console. I would seriously pay 60 bucks for a perfect full HD remake of Mario 64. That game blew my mind playing it on a pre release kiosk at a Toys r Us

For me, Wave Race's water effects did that. I have yet to see anything that comes close in a water racing game.

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm bored, so figured I'd show you guys one of my prized possessions. Paper Mario is my favorite game of all time.

When I was young, my grandparents would babysit me a lot. I would take my N64 over there and play some games. One time, my parents left the state to help with a funeral, and I stayed at my grandparents for a week. They tried to surprise me with a new game to play while I was staying there. It was the one in the photo above.

Alas, I had already owned a copy of the game when they bought this, it was at home with the rest of the carts I hadn't brought to play. But, I love this game so much that when they brought this out, I opened it and played through the entire game again during that week I stayed there.

When I had finished, my grandmother put the game back in the box and stored it away for when I would come back. I would play it from time to time when I went to the house, but mostly it stayed in the box untouched.

A few years ago when I got into retro collecting, I went over to my grandparents house to pick up some of my old game stuff that was left there, and lo and behold I found this. I was ecstatic. It's pretty much my most mint-condition 64 title. I'm pretty thankful it didn't get lost in a closet somewhere or something, or returned to the store because I already owned the cart.

It's not the most expensive game in the world or anything, but it is my favorite.

Top Bottom