• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The odor 1886 $19.99 bomba

Eggbok

The graphics are great but it looks really weird how the snow isn't collecting on the windshield and the wipers are basically wiping away nothing...

I've been watching vids on youtube of people driving through snowstorms to compare, I don't see snow collecting in any of them. Just looks like it's raining...

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
This game is at the perfect price at $20. I thought it was a great little thrill ride but not worth $60.

My Best Buy sold out but had to pm at Target, which had a few copies left.

Sucks I couldn't use GCU discount, but I used cash so no big deal.

DTU

Banned
My Best Buy sold out but had to pm at Target, which had a few copies left.

Sucks I couldn't use GCU discount, but I used cash so no big deal.

how's that just as good? are you paying a 20% fee when paying with not-cash at Target? and by paying cash, you also lost 5% with Red Card.

The biggest issue with the shooting segments is that you sometimes don't get to keep the neat weapons. I loved the enemy classes but it's hard to enjoy when you don't get thermite for certain encounters. Mechanically, it feels tight, and the AI for both the player's side and enemy's side are good enough that I rarely felt taken outta the experience.

Really though, this game isn't a typical third person shooter. Set pieces and controlling the player is more common than say Gears. It's not necessarily worse because of this, but I feel like some people didn't catch that, which is fine.

However, like I said, those shooting segments aren't the majority, and the story will be hit or miss. It's not complete garbage but it does leave much to be desired.

Gono

Banned
And I paid like 50 bucks for it.

Anyways, game is ok, IMHO. Though, could've been way better if focused more on the werewolves and less rebels gunfights. That was quite disappointing. I was so ready to fight hordes of werewolves in the middle of the night, through the fog and coming at me from every side. but no, they really limited the werewolves encounters..

Also, bearing in mind its cinematic approach I must say that the storyline sucked ass, they hyped it up as the ultimate cinematic game experience and it was a pretty average and underdeveloped plotline.

Walpurgis

Banned
I've been watching vids on youtube of people driving through snowstorms to compare, I don't see snow collecting in any of them. Just looks like it's raining...

Whenever it snows like that where I live, the snowflakes start covering the windshield noticeably and the wipers are on to wipe them away. I tried watching Youtube videos but they are all too far south and the quality is too low. Maybe the level is set somewhere warmer or the car is too fast.

olimpia84

This game came out like 3 months ago and it's already down to 20 bucks; what a fucking joke. So glad I cancelled my CE preo-order.

TomShoe

Banned
Order confirmed for meeting sales expectations guys

DKxP0gu.jpg

MSI

Banned
I don't get the black water and black sight yet. How do I get more black water? How often can you use black sight? I don't see it explained anywhere.

antitrop

I don't get the black water and black sight yet. How do I get more black water? How often can you use black sight? I don't see it explained anywhere.
Pretty sure Blackwater refills over time, and your Blacksight meter is replenished by killing enemies.

Blackwater is a straight up dumb mechanic for a single-player game. It worked in Gears, because that's obviously a co-op focused game, but it makes absolutely no sense shoehorned into The Order.

Blacksight is just a standard "Fill up the bar in the bottom right corner of the screen, then activate to go into super-power mode and murder everyone on the screen", like straight out of God of War or something.

MSI

Banned
Pretty sure Blackwater refills over time, and your Blacksight meter is replenished by killing enemies.

Blackwater is a straight up dumb mechanic, but Blacksight is just a standard "Fill up the bar in the bottom right corner of the screen, then push two buttons at the same time to go into super-power mode and murder everyone on the screen".

Thanks for the explanation!

I like The Order. I know I'm a minority opinion. But as a mid 30s gamer I'm really tired of everything being open world and 30+ hours. I can appreciate games for what they are.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Even though the design of the encounters felt lackluster, the shooting was satisfying, especially with some of the special weapons like the thermite or electro gun. It's too bad these are rare treats you only get a couple of times in the campaign. And even though the pacing was ruined by the frequent qte's, slow walking and handholding, I still had a pretty good time with it. Near the end the story really started to ramp up... and that's when you hit the end. Very disappointing, felt like things were just getting started.

I was baffled how the game had such polish in graphics and presentation, but felt really lazy in more important aspects. Best example: there's an early qte boss that they full-on copy paste into a later segment of the game. Decisions like that make the game feel rushed.

It really felt like a $60 prologue to a sequel that'll hopefully play on its strengths more.

Oh and at $/€20 I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up.

Blackwater is a straight up dumb mechanic for a single-player game. It worked in Gears, because that's obviously a co-op focused game, but it makes absolutely no sense shoehorned into The Order.

Blacksight is just a standard "Fill up the bar in the bottom right corner of the screen, then activate to go into super-power mode and murder everyone on the screen", like straight out of God of War or something.

I'm not sure about this, but I was under the impression that blackwater doesn't refill with time but only reaching your objective? Meaning that you have one charge for "mission" or whatever.
i also don't understand why is a mechanic that make no sense in a single-player game. It's just some sort of very limited "continue", don't you think?

antitrop

I'm not sure about this, but I was under the impression that blackwater doesn't refill with time but only reaching your objective? Meaning that you have one charge for "mission" or whatever.
i also don't understand why is a mechanic that make no sense in a single-player game. It's just some sort of very limited "continue", don't you think?

Because it's pure luck. You're not depending on the skill or awareness of another player to come help you up, you're literally just sitting there like a lame duck, hoping the enemy AI plays dumb for a few moments to let you back up.

Also, the loading screens in this game are like 2 seconds long, so just dying and sending you back to the last checkpoint is a non-issue.

Gears disabled the "downed" mechanic during solo play, and The Order shows exactly why Epic knew what they were doing with it back in 2006.

GCU + $5 reward points = I just paid about $11 for the Order 1886....I think I'll get my money's worth at that price

I spent about $9 on a redbox rental and felt okay about the value. I mean, it's a gorgeous game that oozes atmosphere. The best thing I can say about the gameplay is that it's competent. Like, everything works, so at least you won't be frustrated by broken controls or anything like that. It's pretty dull though. I think $11 and 3-4 hours to experience the visuals isn't a complete waste.

Yoroshiku

Banned
This reminds me of a dream I had a while ago.
In the dream, I went to the store and saw that The Order 1886 Special Edition plus a DualShock 4 was €20.00, so I decided to buy it, but for some reason people in the store kept telling me not to buy it and that it was a bad deal.
And just like in every dream where I attempt to buy something, I woke up before I could pay.

murgo

Gamestop in Germany had to get rid of all the Blackwater Editions last week. They sold it for 19.96€. I got the last available copy in my town :)
Now THAT is what you call a bomba!

DocSeuss

This game was not worth the $6 I spent to rent it last week. Truly one of the worst AAA games there is. I don't say this lightly--that metascore was well deserved.

And that SUCKS, because Ready at Dawn are amazing folks who've made some legit great games.

Dunan

I pre-ordered this game and played it on launch day and do not regret a thing
because I sold it on eBay a week later for more than I paid for it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nah brah. Sony still invested in this terrible ip, cuz engine and shit.

it's like they think Sony lives in a bubble like they do and can't see the larger conversation around this game. Whatever points this game gets is overshadowed by just awful the story, characters and encounters are, really stinkers.

There is a good game inside, trying to get out. less copy/paste QTE fights and more of the combat areas would be a good start. Tech and art is already glorious as we know.

Dunan

The recommended price of admission to the Metropolitan Museum of Art is $25.

If anything the price of The Order here is more than fair.

But everybody knows that those recommended prices are for people who really want to pay that much, and that you can pay whatever you choose. Nobody is going to give you the stink-eye if you, as a minimum-wage-earning college student, offer $5 or even $1. (Indeed, the museum was supposed to be free on certain days of the week so that even the poorest members of society could experience great art.)

Prices for physical goods like video games, OTOH, aren't as negotiable.

Deadstar

This game was not worth the $6 I spent to rent it last week. Truly one of the worst AAA games there is. I don't say this lightly--that metascore was well deserved.

And that SUCKS, because Ready at Dawn are amazing folks who've made some legit great games.

Really? I had the opposite reaction. I heard the game was terrible so I went in with super low expectations. Everyone said it was the worst video game to ever be released. Well I started playing and thought it was super slow for the first hour or two, then I got used to the pacing the world and the characters and it felt normal to me. The game really grew on me.

This game has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game. Even looking at objects and rotating around is amazing. I love the characters, weapons and the shooting. The lycan fight is such an amazing moment. The minigames are fun as well. I also like the combination of old technology vs new.

My one complaint would be the story. I don't fully understand what we're doing and why we're doing it. I also think the game could use some color. It's too brown and gray. I haven't finished the game yet but am already hoping for a sequel with more interesting set pieces and environments. I'd love to see these guys go into a temple in the jungle or a colorful place like that. Overall it's been a lot of fun so far.

This game is bad. Sony thought it would be a game to spotlight, and then they realized it was too bad and changed their mind. It was the loudest and then quietest AAA game, sent out to die in it's mediocrity.

What a dumb story, too. Pure crap.

I'm on chapter 13, 16 chapters total. It's definitely worth $20 (I payed $15.99 with GCU). Graphics are pretty mind-blowing, story is interesting enough, weapons are cool, cover system kind of sucks. I don't mind the linearity but it does get repetitive with the kill rooms of wave after wave of enemies

I can see people complain about spending $60 on this, no replay value... but the hyperbole of "it's not with $1 durr" is BS

RedAssedApe

Banned
Gamestop in Germany had to get rid of all the Blackwater Editions last week. They sold it for 19.96€. I got the last available copy in my town :)
Now THAT is what you call a bomba!

naw you got fleeced according to the people who say this game isn't even worth $1 ;)

Endo Punk

This game is bad. Sony thought it would be a game to spotlight, and then they realized it was too bad and changed their mind. It was the loudest and then quietest AAA game, sent out to die in it's mediocrity.

What a dumb story, too. Pure crap.

I really can't believe Sony hasn't said anything about the game after its release. It's like it doesn't exist to them, lol. Better that way.

Catdaddy

One of the few games that I see that both Collectors ($60) and Premium ($100) is still available from Amazon. Usually they are in the hands of resellers charging higher prices.

Top Bottom