• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Golden Ticket, Gossip, and Scott's Tots

Similarly, this is why the Michael Scott Paper Company is by far the best storyline the show ever did. It's founded on a real and irreconcilable conflict (there's no way they can let Michael date the HR officer after what happened when he dated his boss, but at the same time you can understand Michael's anguish about it), it shakes up the status quo, a lot of characters get to grow (Pam's desire for more is nice here after she quit art school at the beginning of the season, but unfortunately they'll take it away again because the show hates Pam), and we finally, for the first and last time in the show, get to really see that Michael Scott is so good at selling paper you could easily imagine wanting to promote him to manage a bunch of other salesmen.

While I like the Michael Scott Paper Company series of episodes, I disagree that it’s a good display of Michael’s competence as a salesman. Isn’t the only reason they manage to get any clients at all that they offer paper at completely unsustainable prices?

We definitely see Michael’s selling abilities in other episodes, but the MSPC basically just irresponsibly undercut Dunder Mifflin and then got really lucky with their bluff to Wallace.

Jules

Neo Member
I just started watching the series about 3 weeks ago and I started season 6 Friday night. Gonna wait and read anymore of this thread til i'm done!

The Kree

Banned
While I like the Michael Scott Paper Company series of episodes, I disagree that it’s a good display of Michael’s competence as a salesman. Isn’t the only reason they manage to get any clients at all that they offer paper at completely unsustainable prices?

We definitely see Michael’s selling abilities in other episodes, but the MSPC basically just irresponsibly undercut Dunder Mifflin and then got really lucky with their bluff to Wallace.

That was Ryan's fault. But hiring Ryan was Michael's fault. They might have survived with a better business model.

Date Mike takes the cake for me as the most awkward and uncomfortable thing on the show.

IlliterateFloweryDingo.gif

datemike.jpg

LordRaptor

all of the office contributing to his Threat Level Midnight movie

The number of times they all goof off for dumb reasons - including when they find the script and sit around doing a reading - makes me totally believe they'd goof off to watch the final thing.

Plus its andy bernard theme song is so great

I hated Scott's Tots. It's one of the worst episodes of the office. It destroys Michael Scott's character.

It makes 0 sense for him to make that promise to 20 innocent kids and then completely destroy their dreams of going to college. It came out of left field. I didn't think the episode was well written or funny. Its cringe worthy, but not in a good way. That episode almost ruined The Office for me. Too mean spirited.

Dinner Party is the GOAT episode because the cringe worthy parts are hilarious and so awkward. Especially the dynamic between Michael and Jan. It was a legendary episode.

Season 6 was way past its prime anyway. Fuck Scott's Tots.

I hated Scott's Tots. It's one of the worst episodes of the office. It destroys Michael Scott's character.

It makes 0 sense for him to make that promise to 20 innocent kids and then completely destroy their dreams of going to college. It came out of left field. I didn't think the episode was well written or funny. Its cringe worthy, but not in a good way. That episode almost ruined The Office for me. Too mean spirited.

Dinner Party is the GOAT episode because the cringe worthy parts are hilarious and so awkward. Especially the dynamic between Michael and Jan. It was a legendary episode.

Season 6 was way past its prime anyway. Fuck Scott's Tots.

How did it "destroy their dreams" of going to college?

They can still go. Maybe not on a full ride, but if they tried as hard as they did to stay enrolled in Scott's Tots, their grades and scholarships should help them pay for schooling anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Halpert has far more of a black, awful soul than Michael ever could

Fuck Jim, he is a piece of shit for everything he did.

Syntsui

What about when he said if he was holding a gun with two bullets in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Toby, he would shoot Toby twice?

That was one of the best jokes in the medium and probably one of the meanest thing you could say to anyone.

Love it or hate it, people are still talking about Scott's Tots all these years later.

Halpert has far more of a black, awful soul than Michael ever could

Fuck Jim, he is a piece of shit for everything he did.

There was the time Jim let Michael fall into a decorative pond in a building lobby without lifting a finger to help him...and it was captured on videotape for the office to watch again and again in slow-mo.

Syder

Is this about how he did things with Pam, or am I missing something far more sinister?
He was always shaky morally, doing things to Dwight that would get you sacked or arrested in any normal workplace.

Personally, the way he just discards Karen after convincing her to move to Scranton was always kind of weird to me. I think the writers expected people to ignore this and other things because viewers would want Jim and Pam to get together so badly.

Beyond that the whole Athlead plotline kinda ruined Jim & Pam for me.

Tim & Dawn forever

Personally, the way he just discards Karen after convincing her to move to Scranton was always kind of weird to me. I think the writers expected people to ignore this and other things because viewers would want Jim and Pam to get together so badly.
I thought they were dating in real life and broke up and that’s maybe why she left the show kind of quickly?

He was always shaky morally, doing things to Dwight that would get you sacked or arrested in any normal workplace.

Beyond that the whole Athlead plotline kinda ruined Jim & Pam for me.

Tim & Dawn forever

The Pam and Jim story ended sitting in a car eating hamburgers ... listening to one of the best songs ever written.

You can’t judge Jim by later non canon spinoffs.

Syder

I thought they were dating in real life and broke up and that's maybe why she left the show kind of quickly?
Doesn't really excuse the shitty writing.
The Pam and Jim story ended sitting in a car eating hamburgers ... listening to one of the best songs ever written.

You can't judge Jim by later non canon spinoffs.
Well, Jim & Pam weren't the only characters ruined by the later seasons so yeah, I agree.

Doesn't really excuse the shitty writing.Well, Jim & Pam weren't the only characters ruined by the later seasons so yeah, I agree.
I agree, just trying to perhaps provide some context.

And, yeah, characters went to crap in later seasons. One of my favorite shows and I bailed completely when they hinted Pam was having an affair with a cameraman. Left and never looked back (except I was later exposed to the greatest “that’s what she said” joke in the finale)

pigeon

Banned
For me the “good ending” is Jim and Pam finding out they’re pregnant at the company picnic. I don’t think there’s an episode after that that you really have to see.

For me the “good ending” is Jim and Pam finding out they’re pregnant at the company picnic. I don’t think there’s an episode after that that you really have to see.
That's the Season 5 finale? I think I'm going to regret watching S6 but oh well.

The Kree

Banned
I rewatched Double Date. I think I overlooked this episode because I hate season 6 and rarely ever go back to it. This is worse than what he did in Gossip. My goodness, Michael is such a piece of shit to Helene. No human being could turn on a dime like this and not be admitted for psychiatric care.

Every time I revisit this show I walk away feeling like he doesn't deserve the fairytale ending he got with Holly.

I agree it is a good ending, but to get there you need to sit through the entire Dwight/Andy/Angela thing including the duel.

And fuck no to that.

EYEL1NER

Gossip is worth it just for the ending, when Jim is trying to tell Mike not to answer the phone when Stanley's wife is returning his call and he's like "No, I can handle this, I've got it." And then he immediately calls her by the name of Stanley's mistress. Jim has that horrified/mortified wide-eyed look, Micheal takes a moment to collect himself, and then he immediately does it again, before Jim reaches over and hangs up the call.
I never saw the ending to the series so I started at S5 a couple weeks back and watched through to the end. The ending of Gossip killed me, I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when that phone call happened.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I haven't realized until this rewatch how big of a pussy Jim Halpert is. He was scared to death of Roy and what pushed it over the top for me was the beach episode when they are in sumo gear and he completely pusses out facing Stanley.

Worst cringe in the entire show was them using bad camera work to make Pam a volleyball professional. Especially since that shit all over her earlier character moments where she specifically mentions faking being on her period to get out of volleyball in gym in high school.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I haven't realized until this rewatch how big of a pussy Jim Halpert is. He was scared to death of Roy and what pushed it over the top for me was the beach episode when they are in sumo gear and he completely pusses out facing Stanley.

Jim is a smug little bitch with the heart of a coward. Only takes easy shots at people who don't realize he's being an asshole.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Naw, Jim snatched Roy's soul on the basketball court in front of his girl. Alpha AF

Roy was a dick but Jim sucks. Most punchable face in television.

Somehow that face also got him Emily Blunt so I hate him for that too.

JettDash

People didn't like Dinner Party? That's my favorite episode. Yeah, it is cringworthy as fuck, but that's why it is good.

Lamel

Banned

To be fair, Roy is massive and could prob kill anyone in that office with his bare hands.

DietRob

Roy was a dick but Jim sucks. Most punchable face in television.

Somehow that face also got him Emily Blunt so I hate him for that too.

Yea, I was really surprised when I learned that he was married to Emily Blunt. He absolutely married WAY WAY UP.

I rewatched Double Date. I think I overlooked this episode because I hate season 6 and rarely ever go back to it. This is worse than what he did in Gossip. My goodness, Michael is such a piece of shit to Helene. No human being could turn on a dime like this and not be admitted for psychiatric care.

Every time I revisit this show I walk away feeling like he doesn't deserve the fairytale ending he got with Holly.

Glad I'm not alone in that opinion. That episode is when I realized the show was changing for the worse. I really liked season 5 as well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jim is awful and a sneaky piece of shit who sows seeds of discord and fucks with other people to amuse himself. Fuck Jim.

The Amy Adams episode always bothered me cuz I was sure she was a con artist, the way she just shows up and sets up shop in the conference room. Then she's Jim's gf on the booze cruise.

pablito

Damn people really hate Jim huh lol. He's not a favorite of mine or anything, but there are plenty of people in the show who'd be way more annoying to work with than him.

Durden77

Nah man. None of this betrays his character. You're talking about a dude that regularly makes racist/sexist/generally offensive comments as if they were a "hello" because he's that detached. A complete idiot that still desperately needs and genuinely cares about people liking him, and has no idea how to deal with it when they don't.

Yes in general it's safe to say that Michael's heart is in the right place 85% of the time, which is why he gets away with all of that bullshit. But the character is not just a lovable idiot, be has true flaws on top of that that merge with his other traits in such a seamless way that it's most of the time hard for him to even understand them.

That's what makes him so much more than your typical lovable idiot. And it puts him in situations that bring out his true character in that moment, for better or for worse. It leads to there being a lot more to Michael, because him trying to cover up his flaws with a smile and a funny quip runs so deep, that it typically leads to him being deconstructed in a way that many of these types of characters don't get in shows like this.

Scott's Totts in particular, is actually one of the absolute best episodes for this. Yeah fuck it's hard to watch, but the fact that Michael did this is totally believable in my eyes, which makes his character that much more amazing. In a, you know a horrible way of course. But still the Michael Scott way. You're supposed to hate Michael sometimes. Yes in the end we love him, but someone that dumb with that much responsibility is bound to make some legitimately bad desicions sometimes that his happy go-lucky naivety doesn't excuse.

DietRob

To be fair, Roy is massive and could prob kill anyone in that office with his bare hands.
What about Stanley in the sumo padding. How can we excuse him running away from a 50+ yo man when they are both in padding?

Wow, I didn't realize there was such vitriol for Jim Halpert. I just think he's a pussy. I don't really hate him. Some of the pranks are good.

I do understand the 'punchable face' thing. He makes some really dumb faces at the camera. Drives me a bit nuts.

I've never watched the source material. Was Gervais character as bad/worse than Michael Scott?

Top Bottom