• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official All-Encompassing Guitar Hero SUPER THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheGreatDave said:
Oh, it says on the little cardboard thing, you get Prodigal Son and You Gotta Move.

Prodigal Son is easily one of the worst songs I've ever played on plastic guitar, and You Gotta Move doesn't have a drum or bass part. Great job, Activision!

But... at least we get GH:WT for free and an "Exclusive Red Guitar" :lol

Although I'm reasonably certain that the new guitar is red as standard. Am I wrong?

You can ONLY get the new guitar from GAME. If you order a bundle from anywhere else, it's the GHWT guitar with GH5. The differences between the guitars aren't huge, but there's enough of a difference that I would be very pissed if I didn't have the new one.

Magik

TheGreatDave said:
The setlist is kinda weird. I don't think it's any worse than the other games (GH2 still has the highest consistency level, obviously), there's as many songs I like playing as there are in most music games. The choices are just weird though.

Looking back on the setlist, I think what makes a lot of the choices weird for me at least is that quite a few of the songs feel like they belong in Band Hero rather than Guitar Hero. Sex on Fire, Ex-Girlfriend, and You And Me come to mind. Nothing about those songs scream to be in Guitar Hero especially considering the Guitar parts aren't anything to scream about.

Hopefully GH6 goes further with more Guitar oriented songs.

TheGreatDave said:
You can ONLY get the new guitar from GAME. If you order a bundle from anywhere else, it's the GHWT guitar with GH5. The differences between the guitars aren't huge, but there's enough of a difference that I would be very pissed if I didn't have the new one.

Ah, ok... now it makes sense. The new one has some kind of rubbery coating to it, doesn't it? (man do I need that). Just as long as the strum bar's better I'm happy.

Magik; agreed. I guess they still want to make sure GH isn't completely alienating to anybody other than teenage boys and young men though.

Monkeylord, yeah, it's kinda rubbery. Easier to grip.

Magik

TheGreatDave said:
Magik; agreed. I guess they still want to make sure GH isn't completely alienating to anybody other than teenage boys and young men though.

Its strange that they are making such a concession when GH2 and 3 sold the most in the franchise even though the setlists were far and away more hardcore than either WT and GH5.

At this point, Guitar Hero has solidified itself as a franchise and is going to sell no matter what, yet they feel the need to cater towards "casuals" by toning down their setlist when they already have a game coming out that appeals to casuals.

On a side note, it still feels creepy as fuck having Avatars playing with the in-game characters.

Merino

TheGreatDave said:
What? Are you serious? Do you have any links to articles about that?

I thought the red thing was only a platecover. I had no idea that amazon and zavvi and others where actually selling the damn World Tour guitar.

But looking around all the shops in the Netherlands also sell the yellow/black guitar. So are you saying that only the Americans actually get the new guitar and Europe is being used to load off the old ones?

I have a feeling this whole GH5+WT deal in the UK is turning out more sour by the second. Had it pre-ordered at GAME untill they cancelled it due to not shipping items above 1kg outside of the UK and had to transfer to amazon. Now I'm reading on their website that they are failing to deliver the World Tour game to most people (giving random ass excuses) and also delivering a guitar I could have bought last year. Unbelievable...

They're offloading the old WT guitars to Europe. Only certain retailers are getting the new guitar. People on ScoreHero and GH.com are bitter about it.

DXPetti

Banned
Okay GAFers I haven't imported any PS3 titles in a while (thanks Wall Street :p) and was wondering if I can import GH:5 and DLC from the Aussie/EU store will work fine with a ASIA copy? Also will the Smash Hits import and older DLC (i.e. Death Magnetic album) work with the said copy?

Grecco

I like the set list alot. A few songs that have me scratching my head of course but alot of songs from the 90s era that i instantly recognize. Stuff like In the meantime by Spacehog.

Finally picked it up from the Post Office. Got the new Guitar synched and the game installed (360)... but I'm not allowed to touch it until the missus gets home from work.

I'm liking the feel of thr new guitar as all the buttons and strum-bar have a nice rubbery coating. The frets do not (which is good as you need to slide over them a bit). Was hoping the neck would have a better feel too, to stop my sweaty mitts from sliding all over it, but wotcha gonna do.

Looking forward to playing later. I need to pick up some points so I can import from GH:GH and GH:WT though.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I guess the code behind GHWT user manuals can only be used once, correct?
A friend of mine lent me his copy of GHWT and I'm tempted to use it to export its tracks for future use in GH5, but of course I wouldn't if this prevented him to do it for himself.

Porkepik

Jocchan said:
I guess the code behind GHWT user manuals can only be used once, correct?
A friend of mine lent me his copy of GHWT and I'm tempted to use it to export its tracks for future use in GH5, but of course I wouldn't if this prevented him to do it for himself.
Yep 1 time only, sorry guy

RoadHazard

Gold Member
DXPetti said:
Okay GAFers I haven't imported any PS3 titles in a while (thanks Wall Street :p) and was wondering if I can import GH:5 and DLC from the Aussie/EU store will work fine with a ASIA copy? Also will the Smash Hits import and older DLC (i.e. Death Magnetic album) work with the said copy?

The game and DLC need to be from the same region, or it won't work. This is true for all PS3 games. The games themselves are region-free, but you have to get your DLC from the PS Store which matches your game's region. NA game = NA DLC, EU game = EU DLC, and so on.

LakeEarth

Magik said:
Looking back on the setlist, I think what makes a lot of the choices weird for me at least is that quite a few of the songs feel like they belong in Band Hero rather than Guitar Hero. Sex on Fire, Ex-Girlfriend, and You And Me come to mind. Nothing about those songs scream to be in Guitar Hero especially considering the Guitar parts aren't anything to scream about.

Hopefully GH6 goes further with more Guitar oriented songs.
GH5 is the easiest GH ever on guitar. The second to last level is not difficult, and even Scatterbrain isnt THAT hard to 5*.

Turns out I'm kind of sick of these games. Too bad I didn't find out before purchasing GH5. Which I bought primarily because of the new guitar, meant to replace my old Xplorer. RB2 guitar bundles aren't available in Europe for some reason, so you're more or less forced to buy a Guitar Hero with your Rock Band. Pre-ordering GH5 got you that, a fancy guitar and WT, so that seemed like a good idea. In any case, the plan of purchasing RB2 has grown rather unappealing after my experience with GH5. So this has been kind of an ass backwards and pointless ordeal...

And now it turns out that...
TheGreatDave said:
They're offloading the old WT guitars to Europe. Only certain retailers are getting the new guitar. People on ScoreHero and GH.com are bitter about it.
So this just makes the whole thing an even bigger waste of money. Bought the GH5 bundle specifically to get the new guitar. If I wanted the WT guitar I would've gotten the WT bundle for €30 less.

Fucking Activision. Fuck them up their stupid asses. Well, this just further cements my commitment to actively avoid their products in the future.

PS2 version here. Big disappointment.

Look, I understand the PS2 version wont be like the next gen once...but the game continued to regress every year.

GH5 is technically inferior to GH3!

The technical pinnacle I think came with GH: Aerosmith (a refined GH:3 engine)

GH5 features:
-30 second load times before every song
15 second load times for a restart
20 second autosaves
+loading between menus and such

-No lip syncing. You know that Cobain "yeah boi" GIF? Not done on PS2. The game relies on camera angles from far away, over the audience, or close ups where the characters are behind the notes chart. I tried to recreate that GIF, but every time "yeah boi" was said, the camera was at its furthest point from the stage.

GH:3 and GH:Aerosmith both featured impressive lip syncing and singer movements. So those famous guest characters? You see them in the intro to their song...and then not again. Theyre either too far away or behind the note chart. Aerosmith had them in your face. Ugly? yes, but much better.

Similar to that, the bass character is never shown close up, ever. In fact, only the drummer ever gets close up time. I do not have a drum controller here.

It feels like "audience hero" (I do admit that theres less repetition in the audience)

Even worse, the arenas all look 90% the same.

-No audience singing. Aerosmith featured very entertaining, very fun audience singing during choruses. GH5 sounds like a CD. Even the live songs seem to go out of their way to reduce the audience feedback.

So WTF is bobcat doing? I know my PS2 isnt getter weaker, so why is the game?

Edit: Just wanted to add that I have all GH games except for Metallica. I have no idea if that engine is like the aerosmith one or is bad like this one

Edit 2: Party play is in the game....but its the exact same thing as quick play! No pausing your notechart, or changing difficulty or anything

elektrixx

Banned
I'm very disappointed with Guitar Hero 5. I play on drums and there's a lot of improvements here, but the most important part; the music, is TERRIBLE. There's too many cheap nobody teen seeking wimps with emo band names.

Also, what moron thought it was a great idea to have a live sleep-inducing version of Do You Feel Like We Do in there? I HATE that time-filler crap.

And what were the odds the all the GOOD songs from the other titles weren't able to be brought in?

I think GH5 is overrated.

I'm in a hard situation at the moment. I'm almost at a point where I don't want to play any music game. GH has brought Expert+, another cymbal pad, identical drum sounds in free fills (whatever they're called) and a better way to hit Star Power but there's not enough good music to work with.

In Rock Band 2 I HATE having every song butchered for Overdrive, especially because it just lays the same default sound effect over it... but all the good music is there!

In The Beatles: Rock Band they got rid of whammy noises (glad someone got rid of that crap) and made activating overdrive better, but even when you hit Green there's usually real parts to hit missing from that exact same time.

Well, at least I can still play Fallout 3.

The multiplayer achievements are also totally balls.

Baker

Banned
jamesinclair said:
GH5 features:
-30 second load times before every song
15 second load times for a restart
20 second autosaves
+loading between menus and such
Gross.

I made an hour+ set list on the 360 version (installed) and there wasn't a single load time.

alex1893

cheers.

Got my first hands on PS2 World Tour and PS3 Legends of Rock last weekend at a friend's house. I suck badly at them but I'm interested in this stuff nonetheless... :D just wanted to know if there will be PC version of GH Metallica in the future?

Baker said:
Gross.

I made an hour+ set list on the 360 version (installed) and there wasn't a single load time.

The 30 second loading in party mode killed me. That, and the fact that you cant pause the notes (just the entire screen).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just got GH5 for Wii, absolutely love the new UI. New guitar is great too, feels more durable, though the strum is giving me more resistance than I'd like...

Anyways, is there a way to play through an entire gig straight? Kinda annoys me they went the MK Wii route making you choose each time you finish.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I've been wondering, when you whammy on normal strings, does that increase your score any? Just curious.

Also loving GH5. <3 To me the track list is worlds better than World Tour, and slightly better than 3.

TheExodu5

Banned
Gave this a rent yesterday, since I haven't liked a GH very much since GH2, and figured I wouldn't waste my money a third year in a row.

Wow.

Wow.

The interface, the speed, the setlist (kind of), back to the glory of GH2! The fire animation when you hit notes is finally instant like it was in GH2...non of this slow animated crap that made GH3 laggy like hell. The quick play interface is pretty much perfect now...much improved over GHWT. I love having hyper-speed as a remembered option, and having the ability to set different speeds for different players.

My only real complaint is that the set list is a tad easy, but it's still awesome.

I think I'm going to have to buy this one.

I tried Aerosmith afterwards yesterday (since I got it 4 months ago, and it was still in the shrink wrapping), and it was awful. Completely unplayable. I'll never be able to play another GH3 based game again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally someone else who likes the setlist. I have like thirteen songs at least I really like in GH5, with Kyrptonite, Under Pressure, and Ring of Fire sitting at the top. :D

The Jer said:
whammy increases star power/overdrive on SP phrases, it does NOT increase score.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Stackboy said:
What do you really expect from the PS2 version? Obviously the focus is going to be on 360 and PS3.

Or if you believe IGN, Wii.

TheExodu5

Banned
Andrex said:
Finally someone else who likes the setlist. I have like thirteen songs at least I really like in GH5, with Kyrptonite, Under Pressure, and Ring of Fire sitting at the top. :D

I think it's the best we've seen since GH2 or RB2. GH seems to be a lot more fun on guitar though, mainly due to the hitboxes and note interface. RB, on the other hand, is a lot more fun on drums for me. Weird stuff.

The set list has a lot of unknowns for sure, but there's some fantastic stuff in there. My favorite is:

Young Funk

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TheExodu5 said:
I think it's the best we've seen since GH2 or RB2. GH seems to be a lot more fun on guitar though, mainly due to the hitboxes and note interface. RB, on the other hand, is a lot more fun on drums for me. Weird stuff.

The set list has a lot of unknowns for sure, but there's some fantastic stuff in there. My favorite is:

Young Funk

Eh that song's OK. I kinda feel I should get RB2 but I just can't force myself when I have so many games on the backlog... and I'm completely entrenched in GH5 and want to work on mastering that first...

Apparently Activision finally, finally put up the Death Magnetic album on the in-game Wii shop, but you can't download them and they were yanked. So they're coming soon. Are any of the songs worth getting?

Xevren

Death Magnetic is ok, really need to look at the charts to see if its something you'd like. I don't mind The End of the Line and My Apocalypse. Cyanide (I think?) has a fun solo in it too.

Also, if you guys sent off the Van Halen offer stuff when you picked up the game as it came out you should check your status because mine got updated. Should be here in 4-6 weeks, so yay.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Xevren said:
Death Magnetic is ok, really need to look at the charts to see if its something you'd like. I don't mind The End of the Line and My Apocalypse. Cyanide (I think?) has a fun solo in it too.

Also, if you guys sent off the Van Halen offer stuff when you picked up the game as it came out you should check your status because mine got updated. Should be here in 4-6 weeks, so yay.

Thanks.

I should be sending mine out tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom