• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Conduit thread.

minus_273

Banned
sdizzy said:
I think in general, this is what reviewers think of the Wii. Gamepro's review is how they feel about it, not the PS360 or PC and they don't delve into the game, they skim over it and not give games merit within its context. It's an article that is damn near a console war flamebait. I thought this was a professional magazine. Anyway the game is solid effort FPS game on the Wii. Buy it if you enjoy what it offers plain and simple.

it is interesting that the gamepro review would complain about the controls when they are completely customizable. It is almost as if he decided to ignore a feature that would negate his complaints so that he would have something to be negative about other than the usual wii graphics and FPS story complaints. If you can customize the controls to your liking and you dont like the controls, who's fault is that? I can already see the scribblenauts review from this guy:

"scribblenauts has the potential for compelling gameplay, but the general lack of focus results in wasted potential"

sdizzy

markatisu said:
Ironically enough thats along the lines of what Peter Moore said last week, many reviewers do not care or take the time to play through the game because they assume its all waggle and simplistic. While I do not agree with Moore's stance that more accurate reviews come from "mommy bloggers", professional reviewers have often laid a fat turd when it comes to accurately reviewing Wii games in general.

I agree. The "mommy bloggers" are reviewing out of enjoyment, while the professional reviews are doing it out of circumstance...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
minus_273 said:
it is interesting that the gamepro review would complain about the controls when they are completely customizable. It is almost as if he decided to ignore a feature that would negate his complaints so that he would have something to be negative about other than the usual wii graphics and FPS story complaints. If you can customize the controls to your liking and you dont like the controls, who's fault is that? I can already see the scribblenauts review from this guy:

"scribblenauts has the potential for compelling gameplay, but the general lack of focus results in wasted potential"

he probably won't even realize you can type anything you want. he'll die to the first zombie a half-dozen times before giving up and calling the game "unplayable."

No6

dyls said:
By that logic, I guess you would have no problem with a reviewer docking points for a dual-analog shooter because the y-axis wasn't inverted as the default and that happens to be his preference. Why should he have to go into the options menu to change something that, as it stands, makes aiming incredibly unwieldy for him?
I suppose that would be reasonable if changing that setting took more than ten seconds. But since it almost never does your comparison just looks ridiculously childish.

FYI, my local Gamestop manager drove out to get Fight Night Round 4 early, but The Conduit is coming in the normal morning shipment tomorrow.

dyls said:
By that logic, I guess you would have no problem with a reviewer docking points for a dual-analog shooter because the y-axis wasn't inverted as the default and that happens to be his preference. Why should he have to go into the options menu to change something that, as it stands, makes aiming incredibly unwieldy for him?

There's a huge difference between toggling something on/off as it is to setting up bounding boxes and all of the complex stuff you can do to configure The Conduit. That's why you need to give the gamer some great default controls if you're going to give them a ton of configurable options.

And for the record, you only have to change this one time on the 360 in your system settings, and then every game knows your setting ;)

laserbeam

Banned
ascully said:
I wasnt expecting to get it today, walked in Walmart at lunchtime and there it was.

Walmart has a policy to release new stuff on Tuesdays as that is their new release day. So Walmart is likely the best place to check for people who must get it today

dammitmattt said:
There's a huge difference between toggling something on/off as it is to setting up bounding boxes and all of the complex stuff you can do to configure The Conduit. That's why you need to give the gamer some great default controls if you're going to give them a ton of configurable options.

And for the record, you only have to change this one time on the 360 in your system settings, and then every game knows your setting ;)

I await the PC games that get bad reviews for this then.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
minus_273 said:

Honestly it sounds more like he didn't have time to try any customization. The review states pretty forthrightly that he raced through the game as fast as he could, skipping multiplayer entirely.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I await the PC games that get bad reviews for this then.

Core PC gamers are much more knowledgeable and patient than your average console owner. Even then, I don't think you could find a PC FPS with more configuration options just for viewing/aiming than The Conduit.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
dammitmattt said:
Okay, there's no problems with noting that at all. It is dumb if HVS doesn't give good settings in the beginning, but then going on to say that the motion controls are "terrible" is really stupid in my opinion.

Davey Cakes

People really shouldn't be worried about The Conduit. Most knew the game wasn't going to get blowout scores from the beginning, and it looks like even those who have tons of gripes with the game still give it decent scores.

Hell, Matt from IGN sounded impressed with the game (enough to give it an 8.0 at least) before even getting into the multiplayer.

Think of it this way: you can strip the game of its competent online mode and it's still a solid (if not good) game, that may be a tad overpriced since the SP tops out at under 8 hours. But, with the online, it's a pretty darn good package, and something that should mostly deliver for Wii gamers with a craving for a ground-up Wii FPS.

dyls

No6 said:
I suppose that would be reasonable if changing that setting took more than ten seconds. But since it almost never does your comparison just looks ridiculously childish.

So what, 15, 20 minutes to change melee attack from motion control to a button?

Gino

EmCeeGramr said:
Nice Videos. Seems like every time I see a video the person playing is using different control sensitivity. Kind of makes me feel like I can't trust when a reviewer says the controls aren't good because they could have just played with the defaults or just screwed up their settings.

Carlisle

Ever since GamePro bragged about being the only magazine to bash FFVIII as way to make them seem somehow more honest than other outlets, I've hated them with a passion that will only be quelled when I drink the blood of their children from a cup made from the bones of their wives.

KevinCow

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Took me a second to realize what was weird about these videos, but then I realized they turned off the option that makes the screen move a tad while in the bounding box. Makes the controls look like Red Steel's.

dammitmattt said:
Core PC gamers are much more knowledgeable and patient than your average console owner. Even then, I don't think you could find a PC FPS with more configuration options just for viewing/aiming than The Conduit.

Cut the bullshit dm. The reviewer didn't want to bother, and trashed the game for something that was easily customizable and fixable, but chose not to. Hell, he didn't even MENTION it.

I grant you that the average console owner doesn't have the presence of mind as in the know PC gamers, but that's what a review is for; to inform of quality. Hard to do when the reviewer can barely be bothered to tinker with the game for a few minutes, or even read the blurbs that are all over the damn net and assuredly in the press kits Gamepro received.

dyls

I do think this game will throw into sharp relief just how bad the piracy problem is on Wii. There seems to be almost an understanding in the hardcore community that you buy 360 games and steal Wii games. Both because of the incredible ease of piracy on the Wii as well as a sort of perceived lack of value of Wii games, a sort of "they're not next-gen, they're not really worth my money."

Something like this with a rather advanced online system could make it pretty clear if more people are playing online than actually bought the game. Who's going to follow the number of downloads on the torrent sites?

dyls said:
I do think this game will throw into sharp relief just how bad the piracy problem is on Wii. There seems to be almost an understanding in the hardcore community that you buy 360 games and steal Wii games. Both because of the incredible ease of piracy on the Wii as well as a sort of perceived lack of value of Wii games, a sort of "they're not next-gen, they're not really worth my money."

Something like this with a rather advanced online system could make it pretty clear if more people are playing online than actually bought the game. Who's going to follow the number of downloads on the torrent sites?

Popular consoles get pirated. The only reason it would be disproportionate to wii is because of its popularity.

minus_273

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Popular consoles get pirated. The only reason it would be disproportionate to wii is because of its popularity.

I think he is talking about PSP syndrome, where it is so incredibly easy to pirate that the game loses value.

Those three new videos looked awesome. I don't care that this game doesn't do anything new. Kevin Sorbo is hot and I'm ready to do whatever he tells me.

Amir0x

Banned
Danthrax said:
So this is his main beef. Motion controls for meleeing and grenade throwing.

I assume this guy, if ever caught in a real gunfight, will be super pissed he has to stop aiming at enemies in order to throw the butt of his gun into someone.

Also, he'll suck at throwing grenades since, you know, it requires more finesse than pressing a button.

Let me take some time away from Conduit to single out your post for a pet peeve of mine.

When people say "WELL THAT'S JUST LIKE THE WAY IT IS IN REAL LIFE", they kinda miss the point of games. In games, most things are not like real life at all. Even in the most fucking gritty, balls-to-the-wall reality simulation you can think of, most shit is never, ever going to be done precisely like it is in real life.

Can you imagine why that is, Danthrax?

Because a lot of regular shit in real life does not make for good gameplay. When people often talk up the benefits of 1:1 motion controls, the hope is that it transfers things in life which are fun. Not that it can accurately recreate terribly tedious every day activities, or the lame parts of gunplay.

This has nothing to do with the review. Gamepro sucks and they can suck my dick. I just thought I should point out that saying "THAT'S LIKE REAL LIFE" is a poor defense of anything in games in regards to quality gameplay.

P.S. My copy of Conduit shipped. yay!

Amir0x said:
Let me take some time away from Conduit to single out your post for a pet peeve of mine.

When people say "WELL THAT'S JUST LIKE THE WAY IT IS IN REAL LIFE", they kinda miss the point of games. In games, most things are not like real life at all. Even in the most fucking gritty, balls-to-the-wall reality simulation you can think of, most shit is never, ever going to be done precisely like it is in real life.

Can you imagine why that is, Danthrax?

Because a lot of regular shit in real life does not make for good gameplay. When people often talk up the benefits of 1:1 motion controls, the hope is that it transfers things in life which are fun. Not that it can accurately recreate terribly tedious every day activities, or the lame parts of gunplay.

This has nothing to do with the review. Gamepro sucks and they can suck my dick. I just thought I should point out that saying "THAT'S LIKE REAL LIFE" is a poor defense of anything in games in regards to quality gameplay.

holy shit, i agree with amirox

except for the fact that i actually think whacking someone with the butt of a gun would be rather fun

Amir0x

Banned
A Twisty Fluken said:
holy shit, i agree with amirox

except for the fact that i actually think whacking someone with the butt of a gun would be rather fun

i didn't actually mean my post to be a commentary on whether that specific action is fun or not. I think whacking someone with the butt of a gun is fun too, though I could see some issues with it getting in the way of fast, efficient gunplay.

I just wanted to get on my soapbox and discuss the issue of defending certain gameplay by saying "that's the way it is in real life." If you think the gameplay is fun, it's because the activity itself is fun to you.

A Twisty Fluken said:

You know, why hasn't anyone made a first person butt of gun whacker? With all the shooters, it would be refreshing to have one based around whacking someone with the butt of your gun instead. You get a gun, but no bullets. All you do is whack people with the butt of the gun.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Amir0x said:

I agree up until the point where I hate overpowered melee attacks in FPS's and often find them incredibly unbalanced and unfun. If it makes meleeing someone a little more of a risk and helps reduce the "running round in circles with each other hammering the melee button until someone connects dance" then I am all for it. I already know it doesn't eliminate it because I have seen the stupid melee dance in conduit videos already.

Cow Mengde said:
You know, why hasn't anyone made a first person butt of gun whacker? With all the shooters, it would be refreshing to have one based around whacking someone with the butt of your gun instead. You get a gun, but no bullets. All you do is whack people with the butt of the gun.

You can always play Halo with just the pistol.

Amir0x

Banned
Cow Mengde said:

well then why would this hypothetical lead character be so dumb to carry an empty gun to pistol whip people with? If he just wanted to hit people, maybe he should carry around a baseball bat?

Amir0x said:
well then why would this hypothetical lead character be so dumb to carry an empty gun to pistol whip people with? If he just wanted to hit people, maybe he should carry around a baseball bat?

Lack of ammo.

Amir0x

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Lack of ammo.

what...like...a worldwide shortage of ammunition?

Actually this sounds ridiculous, like a comedy game parodying FPSers or something. I'd be down with that.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Cut the bullshit dm. The reviewer didn't want to bother, and trashed the game for something that was easily customizable and fixable, but chose not to. Hell, he didn't even MENTION it.

I grant you that the average console owner doesn't have the presence of mind as in the know PC gamers, but that's what a review is for; to inform of quality. Hard to do when the reviewer can barely be bothered to tinker with the game for a few minutes, or even read the blurbs that are all over the damn net and assuredly in the press kits Gamepro received.

If you had read my original comment, you would have known that I was making a general statement about the response to the review, not anything specific about this game or this review. I even said that I'm sure The Conduit's defaults are fine.

Jon

ksamedi said:
Seems like the game is sold out at Amazon. Looks like the game will be pretty popular.

Haha easy there, Captain Hyperbole. Let's not jinx anything and hope for the best. Even if Amazon is sold out, there could be truckloads of unsold copies at every major retailer.

...like there will be.

Top Bottom