• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Conduit thread.

laserbeam

Banned
XCell9200 said:
wow, basically i just came in here to agree with....lots of people.

that gamepro review was a travesty. its not everyday you can contradict yourself 4 times in the same paragraph, but he manages just fine.

that said, i preordered this game and I kinda wish i hadnt. there's other games that are probably more deserving of my money

oh well

Supporting High Voltage with The Conduit helps out The Grinder :D

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I really wish High Voltage would hire some new artists. :lol Or at least have them try something different. The art for the Grinder and Gladiator A.D leaves much to be desired.

Is it just me, or does is this game easier to grenade spam (not a bad thing)? I've played some other shooters and what not, but I don't recall people flinging grenades as often as this game. The bunny hopping I've seen a lot.

Cow Mengde said:
Is it just me, or does is this game easier to grenade spam (not a bad thing)? I've played some other shooters and what not, but I don't recall people flinging grenades as often as this game. The bunny hopping I've seen a lot.

Yes. I got four kills by throwing a grenade right at a sea of guys. It goes right were the pointer is.

The good part about it is that it encourages close gunplay, and negates the bunny hop.

KevinCow

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
I think you are.

I tried mapping it to a button and it told me no. I think you can only switch melee and grenade, not swap them for button commands.

I swear I've seen Melee and Grenades mapped to buttons in one of the videos I've seen. But I also saw that "Can't map this control to this function" thing before. Maybe there are just certain functions you can't map to motion controls?

ICallItFutile said:
I really wish High Voltage would hire some new artists. :lol Or at least have them try something different. The art for the Grinder and Gladiator A.D leaves much to be desired.

I think Grinder has some pretty sweet art design. Gladiator and Conduit are mediocre to crappy, though.

But Conduit has some pretty sweet guns. The Strike Rifle in particular looks pretty badass, especially its reload animation.

Meesh

Danthrax said:
So:

1) He's angry at readers for using the comments feature of his Web site — a comments section the Web site willingly chooses to feature, which is not necessary for the site to function; and
2) He's threatening to attack his readers with a sledgehammer.

Which word do I use to describe this display? Professional? Classy? Elegant? Man, just so many choices.
It's kinda sad, that so many work hard to reinforce game journalism as a legitimate and professional form of reporting...and this guy burns it all down with out a second thought...This example is why I find it hard to take game journos, that part of the industry seriously...

DeaconKnowledge said:
Yes. I got four kills by throwing a grenade right at a sea of guys. It goes right were the pointer is.

The good part about it is that it encourages close gunplay, and negates the bunny hop.

Yeah, I'm seeing grenade fights at point blank range. I don't ever recall seeing this that often in other shooters. It looks insane.

Wollan said:
Need to adjust his bounding box. He's more or less blind when turning.

I don't think it really matters where the cursor is once you're turning, but certainly scanning your view back and forth takes more effort on that setup.

JSnake said:
Will you be my conbro?

I now know why you pay people to write for you

EmCeeGramr said:
they said white men couldn't jump

they never had to deal with agent ford

but is agent ford just a man?

2hriweb.gif

Cow Mengde said:
Yeah, I'm seeing grenade fights at point blank range. I don't ever recall seeing this that often in other shooters. It looks insane.

Yeah, i've thrown a grenade at an enemy to try to kill us both when I knew I was a goner a few times.

Honestly why do people care what other people think about a game. It's just an opinion people. Game Magazines are pretty much useless unless they get exclusives, the only one I read now is Nintendo Power.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JSnake said:
I don't. I'm the one who gets paid. :eek:

This makes me want to end my life. In two months freaking JSnake is going to be making more money than me.

My God

JSnake

schuelma said:
This makes me want to end my life. In two months freaking JSnake is going to be making more money than me.

My God

Don't feel bad, I'm just that good.
emot-smug.gif

Sorry to hear, though. :(

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
are you getting fired?

No, my clerkship ends August 31st- its a one year gig and in normal economic times every clerk would have a good firm job lined up already. As things stand though...yeah, no one is hiring. I think I might start a gaming blog and make it my personal mission to put Jsnake out of business.

schuelma said:
No, my clerkship ends August 31st- its a one year gig and in normal economic times every clerk would have a good firm job lined up already. As things stand though...yeah, no one is hiring. I think I might start a gaming blog and make it my personal mission to put Jsnake out of business.
Don't worry, there's always prostitution. I hear IGN's hiring, as a matter of fact!

MotherFan said:
But I thought those with journalism degrees were able to use proper grammar when writing an article........

wait a minute......

I'm confusing gaming journalists with real journalists. My bad.
I think I fucked up. I mean, I went out and got a BA in Journalism to become an effective writer, reporter, editor and thinker. I should've worked at Gamestop for 4-5 years and wrote on Gamespot's user reviews section.

schuelma

Ok Horde, have at him!:

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8995921&publicUserId=5324853

If you're looking forward to The Conduit hitting stores tomorrow you've probably been following the reviews going up today and maybe wondering what's up with the 1UP review. I'm on it and have played through the full campaign. That's only part of the story, though. Multiplayer figures to potentially be a big part of the game and I want to see how it goes in real world settings before putting a score to the full package.

So, in the meantime, what about the single-player game? For all the promise it held in the demos we saw the final game turned out decidedly ordinary. Sure, the controls are super-customizable but that amounts to an elaborate workaround for making the Wiimote/Nunchuk setup usable for a first person shooter. All the control fidelity in the world couldn't save the Conduit from its mediocre core design anyway. The story lacks anywhere near the character development or intricacy to pull off its lofty conspiracy theory aspirations. The level design comes off equally mediocre with a stand-em-up and knock-em-down linear progression of rooms, corridors, roads, and tunnels. Neither does the game's signature All-seeing Eye orb (the thing Michael has in his hand in some of the shots) get used for much more than a magic flashlight to reveal things invisible to the naked eye.

It's that gap between where The Conduit comes in at versus what it could have been that will be the most frustrating part for Wii gamers who've been looking forward to it. That's another reason I'm anxious to see how the multiplayer works out. Based on single-player alone it's hard to give The Conduit a very strong recommendation. Standout multiplayer could help make up some of that ground.

Top Bottom