• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Conduit thread.

Amir0x

Banned
i hate Gamepro but that's someone's job, so i don't want them to go under. neither should you, since it's not like the company is fucking performing genocide. They just write terrible things.

time's are tough in the economy

KevinCow

Banned
Foxtastical said:
I just find it funny that there is talk going on about "oh, they don't realize a review is an opinion." No, most of us do. I'm fine with Kim's opinion on the Conduit. I'm just ripping on the writing (grammatically and content).

This is how most of these review criticisms go.

"You made a mistake in saying something that is factually incorrect, or not mentioning an important feature."

"NO SCREW YOU STUPID FANBOY GETTING ALL OFFENDED BECAUSE SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH YOU IT'S MY OPINION."

Eh, whatever. It's not really worth it to engage in such things.

Hey Deacon, or anyone else who has the game, a quick question: What happens if you turn the Horizontal View and Vertical View to max and make the bounding box really big?

JDSN

Banned
The thing that makes this clusterfuck hilarious is that the editors are making fun of "teh fan boys" because they state that their score was fair while the "fanboys" are just pointing out the contradictions and laziness of it, they just dont get it.

i hate Gamepro but that's someone's job, so i don't want them to go under. neither should you, since it's not like the company is fucking performing genocide. They just write terrible things.

time's are tough in the economy

I've been unemployed for over two years, so I know a thing or two about the tough economy. :lol

I'll still laugh if Gamepro goes down. The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down after all. If you're going to put out shit reviews, you better be prepared to go down in flames.

Ricker

Man this became challenging pretty fast hehe and Ive hit a spot with a checkpoint that`s a little far back...I need to adjust the movement again,it`s the spinning around that I need to improve,it`s like too slow and fast at the same time lol...hard to explain but i`ll get it(got to try and forget the dual analog feel,or try and replicate it ;) ).

comedy bomb said:
I've been unemployed for over two years, so I know a thing or two about the tough economy. :lol

I'll still laugh if Gamepro goes down. The nail that sticks out is the one that gets hammered down after all. If you're going to put out shit reviews, you better be prepared to go down in flames.

yeah man once their publisher finds out that they're putting out bad reviews of HIGH VOLTAGE SOFTWARE'S THE CONDUIT i'm sure the magazine will come crashing down like a house of cards

Taxman

Garnett Lee:
@MitchyD all that customization only amounts to a cry for help trying to adapt the Wiimote to something it just doesn't do all that well

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
taelurkim said:
@MitchyD Forget words. What i need is one of those Red Faction sledgehammers. And the addresses of everyone who bitches in our comments.
13 minutes ago from web in reply to MitchyD

So:

1) He's angry at readers for using the comments feature of his Web site — a comments section the Web site willingly chooses to feature, which is not necessary for the site to function; and
2) He's threatening to attack his readers with a sledgehammer.

Which word do I use to describe this display? Professional? Classy? Elegant? Man, just so many choices.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Despite the largely positive (so far) reviews, this thread was better off when everyone was still bitching about the lack of reviews.

MotherFan

Danthrax said:
So:

1) He's angry at readers for using the comments feature of his Web site — a comments section the Web site willingly chooses to feature, which is not necessary for the site to function; and
2) He's threatening to attack his readers with a sledgehammer.

Which word do I use to describe this display? Professional? Classy? Elegant? Man, just so many choices.

Gaming Journalism

AppleBlade

Taxman said:
Garnett Lee:
@MitchyD all that customization only amounts to a cry for help trying to adapt the Wiimote to something it just doesn't do all that well
What?
Buttons . . . Check!
Analog Stick . . . Check!
IR Pointer that is more accurate at aiming then an analog stick . . . Check!

What is Garnet talking about? He needs to go play RE4 on Cube and then on the Wii. Notice how much easier it is to headshot guys on the Wii? Yup, that's because of the IR pointer. The Wii's control method is actually pretty damn good for FPS's. The Wii's weak tech and weak online setup are it's biggest weaknesses as far as FPS's are concerned. The controls are not.

Arde5643

MrVargas said:
What?
Buttons . . . Check!
Analog Stick . . . Check!
IR Pointer that is more accurate at aiming then an analog stick . . . Check!

What is Garnet talking about? He needs to go play RE4 on Cube and then on the Wii. Notice how much easier it is to headshot guys on the Wii? Yup, that's because of the IR pointer.
Garnet's probably talking about the overall game itself rather than the controls.

AppleBlade

Arde5643 said:
Garnet's probably talking about the overall game itself rather than the controls.
I doubt it considering he specifically mentions customization and the Wii's controller in his comment.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It's possible Garnett is talking about the gestures, which if he is, he's probably right.

But I hope he's talking about the aiming so he can talk about how superior dual analog is.

KevinCow said:
Hey Deacon, or anyone else who has the game, a quick question: What happens if you turn the Horizontal View and Vertical View to max and make the bounding box really big?

The camera only turns when you hit the edge of your screen, then whips around.

Ysiadmihi said:
It's possible Garnett is talking about the gestures, which if he is, he's probably right.

But I hope he's talking about the aiming so he can talk about how superior dual analog is.

Can't you completely customize the gestures as well?

EmperorPalpatine.jpg

MrVargas said:
I doubt it considering he specifically mentions customization and the Wii's controller in his comment.

These people aren't exactly English professors here. Effective use of the language is not their strong suit.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
AceBandage said:
Can't you completely customize the gestures as well?

Apparently you can, but it might not be enough to make the gestures enjoyable or comfortable to use. I can't see any way to make thrusting your Wiimote for a melee attack anything but a pain in the ass.

But again I wouldn't be surprised if he's bashing the IR aiming too. A simple case of "THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M USED TO!"

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Taxman said:
Garnett Lee:

Garnett flip flops. Some weeks ago he said it was fun and that was enough.

OP edited with all the reviews I've seen. Looking pretty good so far.

MotherFan

kame-sennin said:
These people aren't exactly English professor's here. Effective use of the language is not their strong suit.

But I thought those with journalism degrees were able to use proper grammar when writing an article........

wait a minute......

I'm confusing gaming journalists with real journalists. My bad.

AppleBlade

Ysiadmihi said:
Apparently you can, but it might not be enough to make the gestures enjoyable or comfortable to use. I can't see any way to make thrusting your Wiimote for a melee attack anything but a pain in the ass.
Then map the melee attack to a button. You are not being forced to use the motion.

MrVargas said:
Then map the melee attack to a button. You are not being forced to use the motion.
I think you are.

I tried mapping it to a button and it told me no. I think you can only switch melee and grenade, not swap them for button commands.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
MrVargas said:

Yes, but he may be thinking people are trying to defend the gesture controls since the reviewer that everyone is going after said they suck but went on to say the aiming is good.

laserbeam

Banned
The dual analog shit is getting annoying. Even had a guy over at IGN trying to say Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 would be far better games if they had dual analog.

Theres a reason why auto aim and aim assist exist in dual analog shooters and it is not because dual analog is the greatest thing ever

joetachi said:
Ive seen some online matches and i noticed the maps are pretty darn big.
They have like 3 different map sizes depending on the number of players. The less players you have the smaller maps will be available so that you aren't just running around trying to find each other for 5 minutes. Have the max 12 people and you will get the big maps.

laserbeam said:
The dual analog shit is getting annoying. Even had a guy over at IGN trying to say Super Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 would be far better games if they had dual analog.

Assuming you took out star bits, the slingshot and bubble blowing parts, yeah, Galaxy 1 would be better with a second analog stick. The Wii remote is better for aiming and shooting, but 360 camera movement usually sucks in Wii games. Galaxy had camera mapped to the d-pad. Twilight Princess on Gamecube actually had camera control instead of using z targeting to center behind Link.

Galaxy 2, on the other hand, seems to use it a lot more if only for the Yoshi swinging parts. Galaxy 1 usage of the pointer was mostly throw away, as mentioned above.

Linkzg said:
Assuming you took out star bits, the slingshot and bubble blowing parts, yeah, Galaxy 1 would be better with a second analog stick. The Wii remote is better for aiming and shooting, but 360 camera movement usually sucks in Wii games. Galaxy had camera mapped to the d-pad. Twilight Princess on Gamecube actually had camera control instead of using z targeting to center behind Link.

Galaxy 2, on the other hand, seems to use it a lot more if only for the Yoshi swinging parts. Galaxy 1 usage of the pointer was mostly throw away, as mentioned above.

I hate controlling a fucking camera in games.

That and Galaxy's camera positions were godly.

Amory

wow, basically i just came in here to agree with....lots of people.

that gamepro review was a travesty. its not everyday you can contradict yourself 4 times in the same paragraph, but he manages just fine.

that said, i preordered this game and I kinda wish i hadnt. there's other games that are probably more deserving of my money

oh well

Top Bottom