• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

Kinda looking forward to this.. FF4 is the only Final Fantasy I haven't played but I'm really not a fan of the Graphics :/ Will still pick it up though

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
MiloFoxburr said:
Kinda looking forward to this.. FF4 is the only Final Fantasy I haven't played but I'm really not a fan of the Graphics :/ Will still pick it up though
From what a lot of J-Gaf has been saying, you should look into it anyway.

Himuro, add this duckroll quote to the OP. :D

duckroll said:
I always felt that FFIV was one of the weaker links in the series. The story was silly and over the top without being actually dramatic or anything and the gameplay was kinda ho-hum being an early ATB game with very basic systems. It has to be said again though - FFIV DS is not just a visual and sound remake, but the game has been overhauled completely making it one of the best traditional FF experiences I've ever played. The boss battles strategies and game balance is completely retuned and not only is the game challenging, but extremely rewarding to play. It might be just a "remake" but there's no doubt in my mind it's the best traditional JRPG experience available on the DS right now.

Aeana

Hooray. I'll probably play through this again with you guys next week. I hope everybody enjoys it. It made me like FF4!

batbeg

Inheritance system. Because so many characters die in FF4, a new system was introduced which allows the abilities of fallen characters to be granted to characters who remain in your party.

Insert laughing emoticon here. The bitter type.

I really like FFIV in all of it's campy but serious glory, but now is not the best time for me to be buying new games :( Hopefully whenever PAL release rolls around I'll have more money! It looks so freakin' fantastic.

lyre

1. Edward is STILL a hottie and STILL prettier than Rosa.
2. One more week! (two for me unfortunately)

dacuk

Anxiously waiting for this.
FFIV is the game that made me an JRPG fan. It is a shame I couldn't get continue this zealous love from FF VII and ahead (no trolling, I was a Saturn-only gamer that time).

Jenga

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
From what a lot of J-Gaf has been saying, you should look into it anyway.

Himuro, add this duckroll quote to the OP. :D
Wow, that duckroll quote actually puts me over the top for a purchase. I'm in need for a good old JRPG too.

I'm in.

Although I think I'll have to bring in an armful of tradeins to walk out with it. My gaming budget this month is nonexistent. :lol

Teknoman

daCuk said:
Anxiously waiting for this.
FFIV is the game that made me an JRPG fan. It is a shame I couldn't get continue this zealous love from FF VII and ahead (no trolling, I was a Saturn-only gamer that time).

Heh same story for me...except I decided to get a PS1 after a few "mishaps" with my Saturn.

minor effort said:
I'm in.

Although I think I'll have to bring in an armful of tradeins to walk out with it. My gaming budget this month is nonexistent. :lol

Time to check my inventory as well. Soul Calibur IV might get in the way though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Counting down the days mofucks. That said, my GS seems to think that it'll BE in on Tuesday, not ship then for arrival on Wednesday. Here's hoping!

Chemo

FFIV is my favorite Final Fantasy. I've been waiting for this for so long. These last few days are excruciating.

Definitely, in. Haha, "win button". Well, I just played through the original for the first time... I actually thought it was challenging. This is a harder edition? btw I thought it ended abruptdly. Anyway yes i wanna see this remake! Having just played it so recently though, it'll be weird, that's for sure.

Johnas

FFIV is my favorite FF quite easily, but I'm not extremely excited for this remake. I'm not at all opposed to it being in 3D, but I'm not crazy about the new character designs, and the music I've heard sounds just the slightest bit inferior to the originals.

That said, I'll absolutely buy it ASAP and play it for myself. Hoping the overall quality overshadows those tiny issues I have at the moment.

Aeana said:
It made me like FF4!

I'm genuinely curious as to why you previously didn't like the game. There's just so much to love!

Aeana

SantaC said:
both rpgfan and rpggamer gave FF3DS a higher score than FF4DS =/

I can't possibly imagine why. That's so contrary to my own experiences. I vastly prefer FF4 DS to FF3 DS, and I actually strongly preferred the original FF3 on Famicom to the original FF4.

sw26

IV was the first Final Fantasy I finished (and that was the GBA version about 6 months ago) so I definitely want to pick this up. I think I might wait for the PAL release though seeing as I've got enough to keep me going at the moment, and the provisional dates I've seen suggest that the PAL date will be about a month after the US.

SantaC

Himuro said:
I haven't played FFIII ds yet.

FFIIIDS is great, however gaf say that FFIVDS should be improved in every way so iam surprised to see some lower scores from respectable review sites like RPGamer.

Aeana

Teetris said:
So Europe not getting this or something?

Europe is getting it sometime in September, which is weird, since the European localizations are all done, and are even being included in the NA release (you just have to change your DS's system language to access them).

sw26

Teetris said:
So Europe not getting this or something?

It was confirmed a while back that it's getting a 'summer' release, but there's no concrete date yet as far as I can tell. Most placeholder dates I've seen suggest late August/early September.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Aeana said:
Europe is getting it sometime in September, which is weird, since the European localizations are all done, and are even being included in the NA release (you just have to change your DS's system language to access them).
Whoa, guess I'm importing then. Haven't done that in a long time for a game, but this one's worth it! :)

Johnas

Chemo said:
...new character designs?

They redesigned (remade, whatever) everything since it's now 3D. I'm not particularly fond of Cecil's Dark Knight design (top-heavy look, tiny legs, etc.) not to mention Rydia's new "adult" appearance.

I know it's apples and oranges since they were previously sprites and not polygons, I just think some of the charm was lost in the transition. But maybe I'll change my mind after I play a while.

Also, am I the only one who's mispronounced Cecil the past sixteen years?

batbeg

Johnas said:
Also, am I the only one who's mispronounced Cecil the past sixteen years?

No :( I remember in a previous thread there was a shitload of us like "...what?" I got a big "ha ha told you so" from my girlfriend though :(

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Despite my general love for Final Fantasy (and the older ones more than the newer ones) I wasn't all that impressed with FFIIIDS. I found the graphics muddy, which was alleviated by the charming art design, but also bogged down with what felt like a sluggish graphics engine and long load times.

These issues make me wary about how much I'd enjoy FFIV when I can just play the original version on my GBA. Have some of them been ironed out in the few years since FFIII was released?

SOLDIER

Anyone know who's playing Rydia's dub voice? And if she'll be playing both young and older Rydia?

Also, are there any alterations or additions at all to the original story, maybe to explain or clarify things better? Or is it pretty much word for word with nothing new inbetween?

Aeana

SOLDIER said:
Anyone know who's playing Rydia's dub voice? And if she'll be playing both young and older Rydia?

Also, are there any alterations or additions at all to the original story, maybe to explain or clarify things better? Or is it pretty much word for word with nothing new inbetween?

There are a few extra story scenes, though most are pretty minor. There's one new major scene, though, as far as I can recall.

ghibli99

Nice OP Himuro! I can't wait for this, even though I played the Japanese version for a while (great voices!), and got owned a few times by the bosses. I don't remember FF4 bosses (even the ones in the J-version Hard Type) being this tough. Oh well, can't wait!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hell yeah, I am buying this on Day 1.

I also didn't preorder it, but I have a feeling that I could waltz into walmart or Best Buy and pick it up.

Teknoman

batbeg said:
No :( I remember in a previous thread there was a shitload of us like "...what?" I got a big "ha ha told you so" from my girlfriend though :(

How's it pronounced? Its "Sea-sil" right?

EDIT: :lol Well add me to the mispronouncement club.

Also Kain doesnt sound anything like I imagined him to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It's ordered but whether I play through it when it arrives I'm not too certain since I have the JP copy here too.

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise because I certainly was.

Teknoman said:
How's it pronounced? Its "Sea-sil" right?
Well the shortened term for Cecil is Cec and it's pronounced "Ses", so I always pronounced it as "Ses-il". I guess it's like Tidus though.. do you pronounce it like the Japanese do or do you say it other ways etc. Ultimately it doesn't affect the game.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Jamesfrom818 said:
Fuck it. I'm retiring my DS phat and buying a Lite for this baby.
My original DS will never be retired because I use it to play GBA games and the cartridge sticking out really bothers me.

On topic, yeah, I'll buy this, even though I do own every version so far, like the OP states.

Teknoman

speedpop said:
It's ordered but whether I play through it when it arrives I'm not too certain since I have the JP copy here too.

I think a lot of people are in for a surprise because I certainly was.

Well the shortened term for Cecil is Cec and it's pronounced "Ses", so I always pronounced it as "Ses-il". I guess it's like Tidus though.. do you pronounce it like the Japanese do or do you say it other ways etc. Ultimately it doesn't affect the game.

Yeah I think im going to stick with the way i've been saying it. Still doesnt sound right for me to say "Tee-dus" either.

Top Bottom