• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

Aru

I'm in the last level right now. I did everything else on my own, but damn this level is just crazy.
Random
boss (can't run)
battles -_-'

I'll try a run through to the boss again tomorrow.

One of the most frustrating games I've played for YEARS. Well, it's rewarding, if you grind enough. DQ4 is almost a joke compared to FF4 DS.

But still, the SNES version is superior (faster battle, cuter graphics, and the music sounds less midi IMO).

Wasn't there supposed to be additionnal scenes in this version ? I didn't see anything new (I already knew everything before the
Moon
, but I stopped there on the SNES version)

Aru said:
Wasn't there supposed to be additionnal scenes in this version ? I didn't see anything new (I already knew everything before the
Moon
the scene with Golbez as a boy is new, at least for the US version...

Yaweee

Aru said:
I'm in the last level right now. I did everything else on my own, but damn this level is just crazy.
Random
boss (can't run)
battles -_-'

I'll try a run through to the boss again tomorrow.

One of the most frustrating games I've played for YEARS. Well, it's rewarding, if you grind enough. DQ4 is almost a joke compared to FF4 DS.

But still, the SNES version is superior (faster battle, cuter graphics, and the music sounds less midi IMO).

Wasn't there supposed to be additional scenes in this version ? I didn't see anything new (I already knew everything before the
Moon

The 'random' boss battles aren't actually random-- they're set to specific spots and only occur once.

Aru

Yaweee said:
The 'random' boss battles aren't actually random-- they're set to specific spots and only occur once.

Really ?
So, is there anyway to avoid that stupid head monstrer who casts mirror on everyone and super strong magics after that ?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Alright I need some help...

I just
got the new airship and decided to look around. Here are a few questions I have: 1. How do I defeat King Eidolon 2. What do I do with the Rat's tail 3. What levels should I be at for the final fight 4. How do I wake up Yang? My current situation is this: Cecil lvl 70, Kain 68, Edge 56, Rydia 64, Rosa 67. Are these levels adequate to beat King Eidolon? I beat the queen with ease...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
UltimaKilo said:
Alright I need some help...

I just
got the new airship and decided to look around. Here are a few questions I have: 1. How do I defeat King Eidolon 2. What do I do with the Rat's tail 3. What levels should I be at for the final fight 4. How do I wake up Yang? My current situation is this: Cecil lvl 70, Kain 68, Edge 56, Rydia 64, Rosa 67. Are these levels adequate to beat King Eidolon? I beat the queen with ease...

1. Leviathan? Either way Heal, Haste, heal more. Every turn if you have to. Levi is weak to thunder,

2. There is a little island with a guy who collects tails. Give it to him.

3. With a party that strong you should be good to go by the time you clear the final dungeon.

4a. His wife gives you an item to do so. Only happens if you haven't been to the Babil tower yet.

4b. Already answered but you are super overleveled for beating the king.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Man God said:
1. Leviathan? Either way Heal, Haste, heal more. Every turn if you have to. Levi is weak to thunder,

2. There is a little island with a guy who collects tails. Give it to him.

3. With a party that strong you should be good to go by the time you clear the final dungeon.

4a. His wife gives you an item to do so. Only happens if you haven't been to the Babil tower yet.

4b. Already answered but you are super overleveled for beating the king.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I've already
returned to the tower of babil.

-Winnie-

Finally beat this damn thing last night. Last section is horrible.
I can't believe they put you through all those mini boss encounters leading up the final boss without giving you a save point at the end! So damn frustrating! Had to grind for hours before I could beat the last boss as well.

Aru

Aeana said:
There are a few other new scenes, like the flashback with Kain at the very start.

Well, when the FF4 team said they had cut 3/4 of the original scenario (SNES version) and Matrix Software announced new content for the game, I was expecting much more than that :/

I hope we'll get a remake in a few years that include the rest of the scenario and be almost as beautiful as the opening CG :)
And a faster battle system than FF4 DS. I wouldn't mind an A-RPG version of FF4 :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FF4 DS battles fly by. Especially considering you can macro them. Set it and forget it!

Also FF4 last dungeon is easy mode compared to the horror of the the FF3 last dungeon. Harder final boss too. FF4's has better music though.

Aru

Zeromus
is hard >_<
I can't survive his big bang attack. All my party dies, except for Kain if he jumps.
How am I supposed to win ?

rhino4evr

I had no problem with the last dungeon in FFIV...At that point in the game, it's more about strategy then your hit points. Also it helps if you got the best "special" moves (cant remember what they are called) when certain characters left the party.

Each enemy you run into has a set strategy you have to use to defeat them. If you waiver, you will most likely die. This is was actually a disappointment to me, because it made most of the battles feel more linear with less of an ability of improvise.

For instance..one of the four fiends will murder you, unless you "steal" from him..then his guard goes down. It makes no sense, but once you know that weakness the boss fight is extremely easy.

sorry to be so vague its been a while since I finished it.

Aru

It seems that we can flee from the random boss battles (yes, they are random Yaweee and they occur more than once) in this version. It wasn't possible in the SNES version, IIRC (I tried to flee from a Behemoth but I couldn't. In this version, I can).
So I flee all the battle until the last boss, and I don't open any chest (because many of them contain a trap).
But I missed the last save point, and so I must start over again from the
Crystal Palace
>_<
Meh. They could at least put a save point near the last boss.

About the specials moves, I have some of them (the skills from Edward, Fusoya, Cid + counter attack and auto-potion).

Aru

Kenka said:
Level up, then see him shaking and then defend.

I tried to defend against big bang the second time.
Only Rosa and Cecil survived :/

But sometimes he casts big bang two times, I can't avoid that.
I guess I must get some of the side quests content to win.

What is the best place to level up ?
The
Moon
isn't really a good place to do so. Enemies are strong and the XP reward is low.

Aru

I level'd up to level 70.
But I still can't defeat the last boss :/

Meteor deals too much damage. I survive the first cast, but not the second (no time to cast Barrier again). Mirror won't work, since Meteor is a party magic.

Any help ?

Christine

Aru said:
I level'd up to level 70.
But I still can't defeat the last boss :/

Meteor deals too much damage. I survive the first cast, but not the second (no time to cast Barrier again). Mirror won't work, since Meteor is a party magic.

Any help ?

If he attacked you with meteor, You had him on the ropes. At that point you should just focus on healing and doing damage.

Also, use slow on him after every time he uses big bang.

You're about 10 levels higher than you need to be, so you just need a better strategy.

Aru

Yeah, I know that I'm about to win
when he casts Meteor.

I'll try to use slow then.

EDIT:
Damn, I give up -_-'

EDIT 2:
Finally got him !
I cast slow in the beginning of the battle and not after bless.
He cast Meteor once. I was lucky, but damn that was tough.

Red Scarlet

Aru said:
It seems that we can flee from the random boss battles (yes, they are random Yaweee and they occur more than once) in this version. It wasn't possible in the SNES version, IIRC (I tried to flee from a Behemoth but I couldn't. In this version, I can).
So I flee all the battle until the last boss, and I don't open any chest (because many of them contain a trap).
But I missed the last save point, and so I must start over again from the
Crystal Palace
>_<
Meh. They could at least put a save point near the last boss.

About the specials moves, I have some of them (the skills from Edward, Fusoya, Cid + counter attack and auto-potion).

...you could run from Behemoths in the last dungeon in the SNES version as well (as long as it was a battle from a chest, you could run from whatever). You could run from ANYTHING in the last dungeon (as long as it wasn't a chest/special weapon fight with actual bosses). But why run when it takes so long..cast Telepo/Exit/the dungeon warp out spell/or that spell that Edge has to escape battles. They were regular battles just with the boss music because you were at the end of the game and they were strong monsters..they weren't actually "boss" battles.

Bernbaum

Alright GAF, help me finish this bloody game.

I started playing this in Nov last year, and got up to the final dungeon resonably quickly, but have been putting off the final dungeon for ages- it's time to knock this one on the head.

Here's my party and key abilities/spells/summons:

Cecil lvl 77: Level lust, gil farmer
Edge, lvl 72:
Rydia, lvl 76: Autopotion (lol), Leviathan, Sylph, Bahamut, Tornado, Flare
Kain, lvl 70:
Rosa, lvl 75: Aim, Curaja, Arise, Holy

Yes, I am missing some powerful augments.

Right now I'm on Level B6 of 'Lunar Subterrane'. What I really want to is if there is a fucking save point in this dungeon before the boss or not. I don't have dualcast/twincast whatever, and really really don't want to fly back to the main planet to pick up any remaining augments.

If there is a save point ahead of me, I will likely just charge headlong for it and retreat from any random encounters I have along the way.

I loved this game a bunch until this last fucking dungeon, ugh...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There is a save a good five minutes from the final boss.

If you can't beat him with that party then maybe you should put the game down again for a much longer rest.

Just remember to heal every turn, and that the boss tends to react negatively when attacked. So if you have to just attack with Cecil and Kain and heal with Rosa.

Bernbaum

Woohoo, found the save point! Gonna do some backtracking and clear uncover the map for each level and get a few chests I skipped. Party is now at a level where I have no concerns about facing off against pairs of those blue, non-skeleton dragons. Haven't had too many confrontations with Behemoths, but the last two I faced I managed to survive. Cecil is now at lvl 78 :p

Looking forward to beating this game.

Ranger X

I have a question for people who finished this game.

I just started playing and they presented me that Eidolon character, the one Rydia owns. Can I skip this and not take time boosting this character? Will it get me in trouble later? I'd like the play the game like this feature was not there but I don't want to suffer from some difficulty level that would be ajusted because of this feature...

Yaweee

Ranger X said:
I have a question for people who finished this game.

I just started playing and they presented me that Eidolon character, the one Rydia owns. Can I skip this and not take time boosting this character? Will it get me in trouble later? I'd like the play the game like this feature was not there but I don't want to suffer from some difficulty level that would be ajusted because of this feature...

You can skip it. That summon can be useful at times, but it is by no means necessary and basically plays no role in the game's overall balance.

I finally beat this game for the first time last night. I seriously think I spent a solid 15-20% of my total playtime in the final dungeon, it was impressively epic. I must say, I got a sense of satisfaction from beating this game that I haven't experienced in a long time, probably because I really felt like it was me vs. the game. You don't get that feeling from many games these days, that is for sure.

Top Bottom