• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

Yaweee said:
It is elemental. It hurts him right when she shows up, but that causes him to cast the barrier shift, changing his affinities and restoring his HP on any subsequent casts of it.

It has an element icon, which I think is 'water'. When you fight
Barbariccia again, she
is weak against whatever element the Mist Dragon is, but is most certainly not weak against regular non-elemental attacks.
It's probably holy elemental.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yaweee said:
It is elemental. It hurts him right when she shows up, but that causes him to cast the barrier shift, changing his affinities and restoring his HP on any subsequent casts of it.

It has an element icon, which I think is 'water'. When you fight
Barbariccia again, she
is weak against whatever element the Mist Dragon is, but is most certainly not weak against regular non-elemental attacks.
No. It's Holy Elemental." *Mist is a non-elemental spell in the original, but it is Holy element in FFIVDS. The icon for the Dragon is a small diamond which is Holy Elemental (it's the same element used for Cecil's Paladin swords.)

Yaweee

Angry Grimace said:
No. It's Holy Elemental." *Mist is a non-elemental spell in the original, but it is Holy element in FFIVDS.

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. The little symbol is too non-descript to see, and by the time you get it you're past the undead-heavy parts of the game where it would be easy to notice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yaweee said:
For boss fights, you mean? How often do those things work? I used a slow item on one boss, but never elsewhere. Used bio on
the Wall
, but is there any way for me to be certain that the DoT effect applied?

You have to learn to control the OCD. Very few of the Map rewards are useful (Fumas and Elixers), and you can't even get all of the Augments in a single run anyways-- just calm down, take things at your own pace, and don't get too upset about missing things.

Oh, and the enemies in the last dungeon are harder than the final boss, so if you're having problems there just run past them.
It wans't the rewards, it was getting hte Treasure Hunt Augment. The worst part is I actually got a Pink Tail without it, but I "NEED" the TH augment to get the stupid Rainbow Pudding and then No Encounter, etc etc. It IS OCD.

As for level, my guys are lvl 72+ now, so I can kill everyone, plus Rosa has Adamant Armor, so I can kill them with ease.

You should be using Slow on EVERY BOSS. There isn't a single one to my knowledge that's immune to slow. Using Spider Silk/Slow on bosses and Haste on your party is one of the tactical advantages you pretty much NEED to use to progress through the game without significant grinding. Part or the misconception that the remake is extra difficult and requires level grinding is from people who aren't doing that.

Taurus

I've got my ass kicked pretty badly TWICE in the same f'king spot. :lol

It's the last dungeon, floor B5 if I remember correctly. There's a certain chest, and when you open it BAM! 2 dragons (red?) attack you
, and you can't run from the battle! It takes about 1-2 hours to get there from the last save point (outside dungeon), so it's kinda frustrating. :|

My party is level 60ish but the ray-something attacks are too much. I have to try the berserk+slow combo mentioned earlier in the thread.

Btw dark sages are very vulnerable to stop magic, it works every time. If you get attacked by 3 of them I use slow+stop and on the next turn silence all. After that you have every one of them slowed, 1 stopped and most likely at least 1 silenced. Easy piece of cake. :)

edit: added spoiler tags just in case

Angry Grimace

Taurus said:
I've got my ass kicked pretty badly TWICE in the same f'king spot. :lol

It's the last dungeon, floor B5 if I remember correctly. There's a certain chest, and when you open it BAM! 2 dragons (red?) attack you, and you can't run from the battle! It takes about 1-2 hours to get there from the last save point (outside dungeon), so it's kinda frustrating. :|

My party is level 60ish but the ray-something attacks are too much. I have to try the berserk+slow combo mentioned earlier in the thread.

Btw dark sages are very vulnerable to stop magic, it works every time. If you get attacked by 3 of them I use slow+stop and on the next turn silence all. After that you have every one of them slowed, 1 stopped and most likely at least 1 silenced. Easy piece of cake. :)
The only way to beat them, even with higher levels is slow+berserk, and even better, is having the right augments on Rosa. Dualcast+Omnicasting will save your ass 80 times over, because you're hitting everyone with berserk and slow in one turn, and basically doubling that slow effect by doing a Haste (all) on your own party, and you're pretty much invincible for the fight if you stack a "Blink (all)" with that second cast.

Stop will work on Dark Sages, but it's vastly inferior to simply casting TOAD on all three of them. Toad will do stop their casting, stop their attacking and reduce their physical attack defense to "0" all at the same time, meaning they'll die in one basic physical attack. It's also much cheaper MP wise and can be done in one spell to all three.

Taurus

Angry Grimace said:
The only way to beat them, even with higher levels is slow+berserk, and even better, is having the right augments on Rosa. Dualcast+Omnicasting will save your ass 80 times over, because you're hitting everyone with berserk and slow in one turn, and basically doubling that slow effect by doing a Haste (all) on your own party, and you're pretty much invincible for the fight if you stack a "Blink (all)" with that second cast.

Stop will work on Dark Sages, but it's vastly inferior to simply casting TOAD on all three of them. Toad will do stop their casting, stop their attacking and reduce their physical attack defense to "0" all at the same time, meaning they'll die in one hit from anyone, even Rydia.
Ok, thanks for the hints.

Where can I find Dualcast and omnicasting augments? Never heard of these and I guess I've missed quite a few things anyway. I didn't play Final Fantasies on Snes so this is my first time with FFIV. I beat the FFIII DS last week. :D

I really hope they make V and VI DS remakes too. Ya hear me S-E, make it happen!

Angry Grimace

Taurus said:
Ok, thanks for the hints.

Where can I find Dualcast and omnicasting augments? Never heard of these and I guess I've missed quite a few things anyway. I didn't play Final Fantasies on Snes so this is my first time with FFIV. I beat the FFIII DS last week. :D

I really hope they make V and VI DS remakes too. Ya hear me S-E, make it happen!
I missed Dualcast myself, and but not Omnicasting. It's probably too late for both; you get those by giving other augments to characters that left the party; in this case Palom/Porom and Fusoya.

But the same principle applies even without those augments; slow + berserk and blink if they're absolutely pummelling your leftover guys.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Bump for help!

Never played final fantasy 4 and I am loving this remake. Quick question though.

Where would one find top notch armor that wasn't composed of metal, if one was so inclined to do so?

Holy shit.

Loving this game so much. I just
completed the part where Polom and Porom turn themselves to stone to save us. Fucking brutal, only being kids!

Getting my ass kicked in this game.

Do you get more experience points playing on a faster speed level? Or any kind of benefit?

Rpgmonkey

Robbie Drums said:
Do you get more experience points playing on a faster speed level? Or any kind of benefit?

Just an added challenge and faster paced battles.

I like it myself, keeps you on your toes and I actually hate waiting for ATB bars to fill. :p

Red Scarlet

FootNinja said:
Bump for help!

Never played final fantasy 4 and I am loving this remake. Quick question though.

Where would one find top notch armor that wasn't composed of metal, if one was so inclined to do so?

You don't. They purposely do that to make you use weaker armor and weapons in that dungeon. I can't remember if it's any different in the remake, but I think the 'best' armor at that point for that cave is Mysidia for some equipment, and leather-type stuff/Ruby Rings for others.

Rpgmonkey said:
Just an added challenge and faster paced battles.

I like it myself, keeps you on your toes and I actually hate waiting for ATB bars to fill. :p
Damn. I've been playing on 3 and I always forget about the free flow battle system and put my DS down only to come back and see I'm getting my ass kicked.

Well that was disappointing.

After leaving and coming back to it repeatedly for a few months, I finally got past
Golbez's attack in the Dwarf fortress, right after the dolls
, only to find that at some point in the game I had gotten rid of all of my fire resistant armor, making the
Tower of Babil
just this side of impossible without a fair amount of grinding. To make matters worse, the R button on my DS has been screwy for a while and every time Square Enix puts an RPG on the system they want to make it the run button, instead of having an option to have it on the touch screen or something. I was really loving the game, and probably shouldn't have gotten rid of the fire resistant armor whenever I did that, but as it is now I'm not sure if I'll keep trying to press further. Gah, I hate games like this, especially portable ones, that have a definite point of no return where if you screwed up a while back there's no way to amend your mistake. Sort of hearkens back to the old adventure games that has similar issues, and it really makes me appreciate the Mole Cricket before each Chapter 7 boss battle in Mother 3, which I recently finished.

Red Scarlet

The Tower of Babel is where you get your first ice-elemental armors in the game. Fire armor is sold at the dwarf castle, and ice armor at the next "town" after where you are at. The tower should have an ice shield and ice armor inside it.

Red Scarlet said:
The Tower of Babel is where you get your first ice-elemental armors in the game. Fire armor is sold at the dwarf castle, and ice armor at the next "town" after where you are at. The tower should have an ice shield and ice armor inside it.

Hah, thanks! I had finally gotten past that point and felt I was cruising along just fine, but then hit Babel and it was like a brick wall.

Susurrus

Last Boss is easy.

Haste Kain, spam jump until battle over. I ended up doing this and everyone else died, Kain ended up almost soloing it. :lol

(The almost being because he didn't haste himself, and the other members did a little bit at the start before they got blown up by the DO LOTS OF DAMAGE TO EVERYONE ability that Kain was in the air for.)

Halp!

I just did the Troia escapade and now I'm supposed to find some
underworld?
Where is it. I've been flying around my ship for ages :lol

Also, am I near the end of the game? It feels like I am, despite only putting in 13 hours. Is that right?

Also, where can I find some weapons for
Kain?
I've still got him using his original equipment and he's pretty useless.

:

Robbie Drums said:
Halp!

I just did the Troia escapade and now I'm supposed to find some
underworld?
Where is it. I've been flying around my ship for ages :lol

Also, am I near the end of the game? It feels like I am, despite only putting in 13 hours. Is that right?

Also, where can I find some weapons for
Kain?
I've still got him using his original equipment and he's pretty useless.

:

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what you do, but it's something to do with the
bottomless well in the dwarf descendant town
, IIRC. Oh, and don't worry, you still have plenty of game to go :D

Llyranor

Alright, I've owned the game since the North America launch, but haven't gone around to really playing it until this week (no rush since I had played it before). Then I binged and finished it in a few settings.

Great game, excellent pacing, enjoyable gameplay (the new touches and changes are nice), great music, good challenge here and there, entertaining story and characters, and a fun adventure through and through.

The graphics are fine. Arguing whether it's better or worse than its 2d iteration is stupid. The cutscene direction overall was nice. Voice-acting was surprisingly adequate.

I don't remember the last JRPG in which finishing the game gave me a huge sense of satisfaction and enjoyment out of the journey (well, WEWY, I guess - though that was anything but traditional).

Love the game, top recommendation whether you're a SNES veteran or never played it before.

I'm at the tower after obtaining the earth crystal (as per Kain's instructions), and I'm concerned that I might have missed something --- a special item or perhaps a character.

I'm entering the tower with a party of only 4, including Cecil, Yang, Cid, and the old mage. Have I missed a character or something? I'm stuck on this goddamn continent since the airship will only go up to the tower and the black coo coo birds won't land any where else on the map.

I ask because the tower is giving me quite a challenge, despite all the additional hours I've put exclusively into leveling my characters.

Well, I'm now on the moon core, and I didn't expect to get my ass handed to me so thoroughly by the new cast of monsters I now have to face. I usually grind and pad my characters' levels pretty consistently, I've never avoided battles, but none of that seems to matter much at this point because I keep getting killed by a bunch of random cannon fodder.

Did I miss something here? All my characters are at around level 60-65. I need to bring that up to 99 or some shit? TF is going on here.

Yaweee

NintendosBooger said:
Did I miss something here? All my characters are at around level 60-65. I need to bring that up to 99 or some shit? TF is going on here.

The battles in the last dungeon are harder than the final boss, it seems. 60-65 is probably a bit too low, but I think Dragona beat it somewhere around there without Augments. Just run your way to the last save point, see how you are relative to the boss, and level accordingly. 70 is a reasonable level for it.

Man, this dungeon is busting my balls!

Right now, I'm attempting to secure all the treasure items before advancing ahead of the save point.

My characters' levels are in the 70s, but I can't seem to beat one particular nasty in the dungeon that is guarding the crystal gloves. It's an orange-colored dragon that has the thermal ray spell in its arsenal and it doesn't use it infrequently, unfortunately. It causes significant damage to my party and none of my defensive spells seem to be an answer for it.

Is this villain a joke?

Christine

NintendosBooger said:
My characters' levels are in the 70s, but I can't seem to beat one particular nasty in the dungeon that is guarding the crystal gloves. It's an orange-colored dragon that has the thermal ray spell in its arsenal and it doesn't use it infrequently, unfortunately. It causes significant damage to my party and none of my defensive spells seem to be an answer for it.

Cast Berserk on the dragons, then slow. If you have the 'Draw Attacks' augment equip it to Cecil and have him use a Decoy to cast 'Blink' on himself.

Yaweee said:
The battles in the last dungeon are harder than the final boss, it seems. 60-65 is probably a bit too low, but I think Dragona beat it somewhere around there without Augments. Just run your way to the last save point, see how you are relative to the boss, and level accordingly. 70 is a reasonable level for it.

It's fair to add that there's some enemies (or combos of enemies) that really aren't worth the effort to fight. I'm at level 70ish now and there are still a few combos where I just start running when battle starts. I won't lose right away, but but it's better to heal than to stick it out. (Particularly the big robot, ugh.)

Something else I find I need to do a lot is prolong the battles I can win. Rydia's paralyze attacks really help here (if she's not using the Stardust Rod); basically, stalling so Rosa can use pray repeatedly to boost MP.

And if you've run into that dragon with TIE or Booger mentioned, this goes without saying: exit and save after most major treasure pickups. Square isn't playing around on the last dungeon. :lol

Is there an accepted strategy for pink tail farming (providing I have a Crystal Armor/HP+50%/Draw-Attacks Cecil)? I don't seem to be able to survive the blob battle yet and I'd like to get an Adamant armor sometime...(or whatever it's called now.)

Christine

Crazymoogle said:
Is there an accepted strategy for pink tail farming (providing I have a Crystal Armor/HP+50%/Draw-Attacks Cecil)? I don't seem to be able to survive the blob battle yet and I'd like to get an Adamant armor sometime...(or whatever it's called now.)

The only way to really make it bearable is to give Cecil Crystal Armor/Draw Attacks/Counter, and to replace his fight command with the Stardust item.

Well, finished the game last weekend.

I have to give this game a slightly above average score of 7. There are many good things about the game, but I was annoyed by quite a few elements that made the overall experience of Final Fantasy IVr less than epic.

First and foremost, the storyline was decent (although a bit formulaic) up until the point when all the characters returned from the dead near the tail end of the game. Personally, I thought bringing the characters back, after having sacrificed their lives for the greater good and for the success of the mission, served to trivialize the awesome gravity of the threat that faced Earth and its heroes. Basically, if you can bring all the dead characters back, then what makes the enemy and the global danger he poses so...dangerous? They should have stayed dead. Fuck, this shouldn't be Marvel Comics.

Second, the augments. It's ridiculous how I wasn't explained the qualities and function of these things either via the game or the game manual. No information would be given as to their nature or their MP cost BEFORE subscribing them to a character, and by then it would be too late to detach the augment from the character in light of this new info unless, of course, you re-loaded a previous save file. How the fuck am I supposed to know what Cry On does, just by the name? How was I to know to whom to give it? It's bullshit.

Third, and somewhat related to the second point, is Square's "strike-the-iron-while-its-hot" item acquisition system. In other words, players not able to acquire certain key items after a particular point in the game has been reached. I ran into this problem in my attempt to secure an augment near the final stage of the game.

All in all, it was an average experience. I'm glad I finished the game, although I'm not proud of it. It seemed more like a chore than a fun experience, specifically in the last third of game. I doubt I will keep this one, much less replay it, but it helped pass the time.

Now, onto Bangai-O Spirits.

NomarTyme

Just beat the game today. Everybody were in the 60ish level. It kind of funny though, all those elixir and ether I save up, and I didn't even use much. I did use some for the last boss though. I love the augments, why I can't take out "item" ? damn such BS. Overall it was a good RPG, I did very little grinding. And I'm going for the second play through.

ltse1

I need a lot of help. I haven't played in months, and I know I'm close to the end.

I am entering the Giant's Mouth, and supposedly Fusoya is a great mage, but I'm not seeing it. His spells don't do much damage, and I get killed in two hits by the enemies within the Giant's Mouth. I know, they are weak to lightning but they kill Fusoya/Rydia quickly. I'm around level 55...what should I do? I have almost zero Augments.

ltse1

Ok thanks Scarlet, I was thinking that my battle strategy was too simplistic but if that's what I should be doing then I'll try to grind some. I'll update if I run into another obstacle.

ltse1 said:
I need a lot of help. I haven't played in months, and I know I'm close to the end.
20jfjhi.jpg

isnt it ironic that someone would put off finishing a portable game so close to the end when theyre avatar is of howl's moving castle -
it's portable!

Good luck with the rest of the game.

Kenka

Jesus, I am about to burst. This horrible CPU is pulling my lungs out of my body so much I scream everytime it blasts my party with its godammit Ray. How the hell did some of you pass this mofo ?

I though destroying Rubicante would be a milestone but god I was wrong. :lol

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I didn't want to LTTP something I haven't played yet...

Anyway, I just ordered this on Amazon, but my girlfriend is using the DS to play Chrono Trigger.

We do have another DS, but the touch screen is broken--does anyone know if this game can be played without using the touch screen? (The display works, it just doesn't respond to touch--even when I'm gentle.)

Yaweee

SnakeswithLasers said:
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I didn't want to LTTP something I haven't played yet...

Anyway, I just ordered this on Amazon, but my girlfriend is using the DS to play Chrono Trigger.

We do have another DS, but the touch screen is broken--does anyone know if this game can be played without using the touch screen? (The display works, it just doesn't respond to touch--even when I'm gentle.)

Yes, it is fine without the touch screen. Some optional minigames require it, but nothing in the main quest.

SnakeswithLasers said:

I don't remember needing to use the touchscreen...I can't be completely certain right now but your odds are good.

SnakeswithLasers said:
^^^

Thanks you guys! Now I'm not so worried about it arriving and me being stuck staring at the case art.

I remember playing the vast majority of the game while on an international flight (and the associated waiting in airports) and it was pretty damn low on the screen requirements. You can use the touchscreen to move Cecil but the dpad works better, arguably, and the only other thing I can recall needing the stylus was some of the weird little minigames which are so optional I can't remember trying more than one.

So yeah, you're good to go. Be prepared though, it's not a walk in the park like the SNES game. :lol

Crazymoogle said:
I remember playing the vast majority of the game while on an international flight (and the associated waiting in airports) and it was pretty damn low on the screen requirements. You can use the touchscreen to move Cecil but the dpad works better, arguably, and the only other thing I can recall needing the stylus was some of the weird little minigames which are so optional I can't remember trying more than one.

So yeah, you're good to go. Be prepared though, it's not a walk in the park like the SNES game. :lol

Man, you aren't kidding!

Great game so far though. I'm at
Tower of Zot/Zod(?)
I just checked out a faq because I was having trouble on a boss and saw a bunch of stuff about augments. Apparently I've missed a ton... I haven't used either of the two that I have--and apparently I missed like 20. Does it matter that much?

Red Scarlet

Some of them can make the game a bit or I guess a lot easier. I know I and Dragona went through the game without using any of them, and maybe a couple other people. So it may be a little bit harder without the ones you have now, but there are still some really good ones you can get.

Red Scarlet said:
Some of them can make the game a bit or I guess a lot easier. I know I and Dragona went through the game without using any of them, and maybe a couple other people. So it may be a little bit harder without the ones you have now, but there are still some really good ones you can get.

Well, I've gone through so far without using any...because I didn't really think about them. Maybe I'll just try to keep going this way and pretend I'm doing it to be hardcore.

Top Bottom