• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Draw Augment on Cecil + casting Reflect on Cecil, works wonders. The only problem is when Rosa doesn't beat them to the punch :(

Still love this game as much as I did when I played it on the snes. It's a lot harder in some areas (boss fights are a lot harder) but easier in others (like collecting tails :)). I just picked up my 5th adamant armor on my first playthrough, which is like unheard of in the original. Thank god for sirens.

Did anyone have a harder time getting red tails than pink tails? Red dragons are a pain

Gattsu25

Banned
Okay, this game is MUCH faster than FF3 DS (I can stand playing it)...I love this game.

The text is a bit....early 90s though :b

ronito

Dag nab it! And this whole time I was grinding in Bahamut's cave thinking I just wasn't high enough lvl to kill 3 dark sages....man.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ronito said:
Dag nab it! And this whole time I was grinding in Bahamut's cave thinking I just wasn't high enough lvl to kill 3 dark sages....man.

If it helps you might have been underleveled anyway. If Rosa is slower in casting than the Dark Sages you are screwed as I said. So perhaps it was worth it! :p

ronito

grandjedi6 said:
If it helps you might have been underleveled anyway. If Rosa is slower in casting than the Dark Sages you are screwed as I said. So perhaps it was worth it! :p
Well I just started the final dungeon with all my characters (except Kain) at at least lvl 70, Cecil is lvl 73. But thanks to the esoteric advice about Fusoya (thanks guys!) I got the omnicast augment. That make those battles cake, omniacast reflect, bless and wait.

Damn I'm getting owned in Dwarf Castle by the Golbez :( Retried fight like 2-3 times now, can't bring anyone back for the life of me, Golbez always gets me before Rose is healed :(
My guys are lvl 31-37 but I have missed quite some augments I think and perhaps a sword or two.

Any ideas?

Christine

Melhisedek said:
Damn I'm getting owned in Dwarf Castle by the Golbez :( Retried fight like 2-3 times now, can't bring anyone back for the life of me, Golbez always gets me before Rose is healed :(
My guys are lvl 31-37 but I have missed quite some augments I think and perhaps a sword or two.

Any ideas?

Have Cecil use a Spider's Silk on Golbez as his first action, if Rosa isn't fast enough to cast Slow before 'bez summons the shadow dragon. The best way to get Rosa back into action is to have Cecil and Rydia team up with Phoenix Down and Hi-Potion (or Elixir, if you feel you need it). Try to queue up the commands so that little to no ATB time passes between the actions.

I'm at the same point Melhisedek is at, although I've only attempted that battle once. I don't have any Spider Silk's so I may have to grind a bit to get some of my party members up to speed, like Rosa. Somehow she's managed to die on the final turn of the last two boss fights and thus managed to miss out on all the experience given, she needs it the most out of all my party members.

For that Golbez fight, one thing you can do is have Kain use jump at the correct time. If you time it right, he'll be in the air and won't die, so you will have three people to fight with.

Phew just beat the bastard, this time with no trouble at all... this time he cast bio before I revived Rosa and all was fine and dandy afterwards :)

How far along am I? How long till the end? Also what level were you folks when you finished the game?

mattso

I just got the airship that can fly over lava and did the sylph cave and passage of the eidolons.

Ashura was really easy to beat once I figured out the trick.

Dragona Akehi said:
Beserk + Slow + Blink x 3 + Mirage = Dead Red Dragon

(Just keep an eye on it because Berserk WILL wear off.)

You realize that in the time needed to do that (since Rosa is the only person who has 3 of the 4 listed spells), there is every chance of the Red Dragon using Thermal Rays twice, which will kill every member of the party except Cecil.

Pureauthor said:
You realize that in the time needed to do that (since Rosa is the only person who has 3 of the 4 listed spells), there is every chance of the Red Dragon using Thermal Rays twice, which will kill every member of the party except Cecil.
If you use Berserk first, there is no chance of the Red Dragon using Thermal Rays.

vareon

I've reached the Sealed Cave in the underworld. IIRC this is the time I quit playing the original version because I just can't beat
the damn door wall monster thingy.

Let's see how I fare tonight.

ronito said:
so wait, who do I berserk first?

You Berserk the Red Dragon on Rosa's first turn, this will have it only attack (for big damage, but not nearly as bad as Thermal Rays, plus it only hits one party member).

Have Edge use Mirage, and everyone else either Defend or use Decoys if you have a bunch.

Then on Rosa's second turn, cast Slow on the Red Dragon.

After that Rosa continue to cast Blink on herself and Rydia/Cecil/Kain.

Then smash!

Can't you just use Dragon Armor/Flame Armor + Curse Rings if you're really having trouble against the thermal rays? Also, if you're going to stick around for a fight with them, Slow + Cry will be helpful (they are also resistant to Holy, so Excalibur/Ragnarok/Holy Lance will not be as strong - though Wyvern Lance if you managed to get the drop will deal tons of damage to them)

greatestjediever said:
Can't you just use Dragon Armor/Flame Armor + Curse Rings if you're really having trouble against the thermal rays? Also, if you're going to stick around for a fight with them, Slow + Cry will be helpful (they are also resistant to Holy, so Excalibur/Ragnarok/Holy Lance will not be as strong - though Wyvern Lance if you managed to get the drop will deal tons of damage to them)

It doesn't really work. Thermal Rays is just über, and doesn't seem to count as "fire".

ronito

Damn you Zeromus! One big bang I can recover from, Two big bangs I can recover from, but the Third Big Bang followed by flare on the survivors is fighting dirty.

vareon

Going to the moon, brb :p

Whew, that Lair of The Father hard! Those damn Dark Sages, Gold/Silver Dragons, Behemoths...thankfully I'm well prepared. Back attacked by 3 Dark Sages was not nice. Thankfully Bahamut wasn't too hard.

vareon said:
Going to the moon, brb :p

Whew, that Lair of The Father hard! Those damn Dark Sages, Gold/Silver Dragons, Behemoths...thankfully I'm well prepared. Back attacked by 3 Dark Sages was not nice. Thankfully Bahamut wasn't too hard.

What levels are you at?

vareon

68-ish, except Edge who was 59. Perhaps a bit overleveled? I love to turn on my DS to grind a few minutes then turn it off to do something else.

vareon said:
68-ish, except Edge who was 59. Perhaps a bit overleveled? I love to turn on my DS to grind a few minutes then turn it off to do something else.

I think I'm about 10 levels behind you. For some reason I haven't grinded in FFIV nearly as much as I usually do. Sounds like I'll have to do some before finishing up.

Dragona Akehi said:
It doesn't really work. Thermal Rays is just über, and doesn't seem to count as "fire".

Ahh gotcha. I figured they'd just be fire based attacks. I never really went down to that pathway until I either had Safe Travel or plenty of Adamant Armors equipped, which usually cut it down to about 300-500 damage per time they use it (usually enough for a Pray to heal almost completely)

Chris R

Holy shit, tower of zot... These blue cat things DESTROY me, like INSTANTLY

What am I doing wrong? Don't think I'm under leveled

prodystopian said:
I think I'm about 10 levels behind you. For some reason I haven't grinded in FFIV nearly as much as I usually do. Sounds like I'll have to do some before finishing up.

In light of this, can anyone recommend a good place to grind? I'm currently at the
Giant of Babil
. If there is a great place after this, I can just try to beat that and grind after.

vareon

prodystopian said:
In light of this, can anyone recommend a good place to grind? I'm currently at the
Giant of Babil
. If there is a great place after this, I can just try to beat that and grind after.

My last grind spot was actually in the Giant itself, next to the save point and shop (so I can buy cottage and rest there). The Dragons give a lot of exp (Green Dragon gave 20k exp to each characters iirc) but you need to use Siren which is expensive. I haven't found a better place.

mattso

beat this today. missed some stuff along the way but I don't intend on doing any replays anytime soon so I'm ok with it.

vareon

Finished! Missed a few things
(I forgot to steal on Zeromus)
here and there but it's ok. I might replay the game in another few months when I don't have any game to play.

The final dungeon was long and hard. Damn even every random encounter is a hard battle. I'm a bit overleveled so there's no one-hit-kill from those monsters.

Final Party :
Cecil - Lv 84
Rosa - Lv 83
Rydia - Lv 83
Kain - Lv 80
Edge - Lv 81

I salute Dragona who finished the game at 60-ish without augments. Impressive o_o

Simply one of the best RPG on DS.

ronito

I ended up finishing it at around lvl 80. And while I lost the first time I still felt I was over powered. I wont be replaying for a long time. Really this just whets the appetite for a FFV, FFVI remake.

Volcynika

Square-Enix put up the first part of their Fan Q&A recently (fans ask the dev team questions):

—Shojo asks: Why did you choose to release FINAL FANTASY IV on Nintendo DS?

Tokita: When development for FINAL FANTASY III DS was completed, [Producer Tomoya] Asano expressed interest in remaking FINAL FANTASY IV. We recognized that not a lot of time had passed since the Game Boy Advance release, but FINAL FANTASY III DS's quality was impressive enough that we wanted to go ahead and remake the game with the MATRIX team.

—RealJoeCool asks: What was the reason for the decision to do a full remake rather than simply port the game to the DS?

Tokita: Because FINAL FANTASY IV has been re-released on so many systems (Game Boy Advance, PlayStation, WonderSwan Crystal), we wanted to challenge ourselves with a complete 3D remake in the same style as FINAL FANTASY III DS.

—Suave asks: With the continuing renewal and re-release of FINAL FANTASY games on specific handheld systems, what is it that most separates FINAL FANTASY IV from the other recently polished titles in the franchise?

Tokita: We aimed to make not just a remake, but one of the highest-quality RPGs that could be played on DS.

It is not a new game by any means, but its influential story featuring male and female characters of all ages has become a staple of FINAL FANTASY storylines, which gives this game its lasting appeal.

—ArchLawyer and Leon31 ask: What processes were used in redesigning the characters both for in-game and full-motion video scenes? How hard has it been to re-create the entire game, seeing the different graphical approach (the game's engine) you took?

Tokita: [Character & Event Art Director] Akira Oguro used [Image Illustrator Yoshitaka] Amano's original character designs as the basis for creating the redesigned super-deformed characters to be used in real-time events. Two models were made: a high-polygon version for voiced scenes and a low-polygon version for gameplay. Detailed illustrations were also made to create the realistic models for the 3D movie scenes.

—Automaton asks: Was it really hard to rebalance the characters and bosses to give more of a challenge without being absolutely punishing?

Tokita: The party members are set depending on where the player is in the story, so we came up with the Augment System to give players more flexibility and require them to use new strategies. Boss attack patterns and their reactions were also altered to make the battles more exciting and challenging.

—Artix, eupho and rembluish ask: It has been said that three quarters of the original script for Final Fantasy IV was left out of the original version of the game. Were you able to work the full script into this version? If not, how did you decide which parts of the script would be included this time and which parts would be left out?

Tokita: There appears to be a slight misunderstanding on this subject.
During development of the original game, the game text wouldn't fit, so it was revised to ¼ of its intended size, but the story itself was not cut. However, because of this restriction, unnecessary dialogue was removed which in turn improved the overall pacing of the game.

—Raizen asks: This question is for Junya Nakano, the music [arranger] on FINAL FANTASY IV. I was wondering how much freedom you had to create new sounds for this game, or if you had to stay very close to Nobuo Uematsu's original music.

Nakano: We first discussed the arrangement of the FINAL FANTASY IV DS music with [Music Composer] Mr. Uematsu to decide the overall direction, level of arrangement, which songs would have a Celtic feel, and so on. The arrangement process began once these issues were settled.

For the arrangements themselves, the songs were based on the original FINAL FANTASY IV tracks with an added Celtic flair to create a feeling of uniformity.

With the game's pacing and events in mind, many scenes felt more natural if the music was relatively unchanged, and the new arrangement tracks evolved into what they are now.

Chris R

So I finally finished with Zot, and went on to the dwarf castle... just saying that the 2nd boss there destroyed me about 10-15 times until I had cecil use a haste powder to be able to keep you know who up long enough to win :lol

grinding like a bitch now to get around 40ish or 45ish for the next dungeon

rhfb said:
So I finally finished with Zot, and went on to the dwarf castle... just saying that the 2nd boss there destroyed me about 10-15 times until I had cecil use a haste powder to be able to keep you know who up long enough to win :lol

grinding like a bitch now to get around 40ish or 45ish for the next dungeon

Don't forget to look around first, there is a crapload of stuff in the castle and the surrounding area.

Gruco

Banned
Thinking about picking this up soon. Has anyone done a no augment run? I thinking it would be a good way to kick it off.

Top Bottom