• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy IVr NA release thread (Battle Speed 6 is slowest!)

Goddamn it, I'm at 99% in the
Lunar Subterrene, the third I think
and I cannot FOR THE LIFE OF ME see the pixel I am apparently missing. ARRGH

Johnas

Dragona Akehi said:

You probably know this, but did you walk close enough to the exit?

I finally finished this last night, good game but overall I prefer the PS1 version. It was cool to see a 3D take on FFIV though.

Johnas said:
You probably know this, but did you walk close enough to the exit?

I finally finished this last night, good game but overall I prefer the PS1 version. It was cool to see a 3D take on FFIV though.

Yeah I've definitely done that. I'm PORING over the map and there is NOT A SINGLE PIXEL OUT OF PLACE. I hope I haven't bugged my game... Arrrrgh.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Dragona Akehi said:

I ended up missing a single percent on that floor in the section where
you get the Murasame.

I was running around not even thinking to check that section for almost an hour, while a little bastard pixel was sitting there, mocking me, invisible. As soon as I took the correct staircase I took like two steps south and bam, 100%. I wanted to punch myself.

vareon

Cecil just transformed into a Paladin and now I'm leveling up a bit (a lot actually).

Game's awesome all the way, but I found two things that annoy me :

- 99% map because I missed a pixel.
- The way to get powerful augments is really stupid. I actually need to use a guide :(

I haven't died even once until now, probably because everyone else said it was difficult and I played the game VERY cautiously...it's like Etrian Odyssey again :lol

ronito

Man, I hate it when the game suddenly does a level jump. I finished everything on the
earth
Feymarch and everything rather easily I was a lvl 60. Now I go to the
moon
and keep getting my butt handed to me. Time to grind. Sigh.

2DMention

Banned
Finally beat it. I have to say that is the hardest RPG I've ever played, and I've played most of them. I don't think I'll be playing this one on my replays. I'll be playing the GBA version for replays. I didn't go after any of the augments or rare stuff.

Indrew

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:

I had the same problem in the exact same place. It took a few trips but I finally found the culprit: a tiny little pixel in the bottom left corner, south of the treasure. Odds are this isn't the same spot you are missing, but there is hope!

Cynar

Indrew said:
I had the same problem in the exact same place. It took a few trips but I finally found the culprit: a tiny little pixel in the bottom left corner, south of the treasure. Odds are this isn't the same spot you are missing, but there is hope!

I had the exact problem as well, it was also that pixel. Funny stuff. :lol

ccbfan

Just finished the game in a semi-no decant game (I didn't use any decants but did give crappy decants to leaving members so they left their good ones)

Didn't think the game was too hard. I thought the PS one was harder. Probably because it was so hard to run in this game, so I had to fight every fight and was much higher level than my previous ff4 playthroughs. I remember reaching the
moon
in my low 30s on the PS version. I was already low 30s when I reached
underground
in this. My Porom had more HP in this than my starting adult rydia usually did on the PS version.

The beginning was actually the hardest part imo. I got pertrified so many times at the start.

Now time for replay #1 and use all the decants.

With the no encounter decant, I'll probably need those decants since I'll never level unless I absolutely have to. Some of those decants are straight out sick though.

I mean imagine cecil with draw attacts, kick and counter, rosa with omnicasting and dualcast (full party haste/shell/protect/life2/esuna), kain with phoenix, ect.

So I finally got my copy of this game and started doing some research. I've just been made aware of a glitch that involves the
Lunar Whale
. I'll spoiler it just in case.

Apparently if you land it on Earth and then walk away from it causing it to go off screen than there is a chance it will disappear permanently. If you save after this happens you are screwed and will have to start over. I have the North American version by the way.

Now, has anyone here ran into this glitch? Considering it can be a game breaking glitch, and that there are also some other game crashing glitches in the game, I'm just wondering if perhaps Square Enix is going to do an exchange program.

I've been waiting for this game for quite awhile so I don't really want to start until I know if SE is going to address this.

ronito

wow that glitch sounds horrible.

As for my playthrough I've just defeated
the four fiends...again
I went and saved and then went up against the
CPU
and all it took was 2 attacks and my party was completely wiped out. My Cecil is at level 68. Any tips?

I've really hated the jump in difficulty instead of a slope. It really felt going through the game in the beginning that the difficulty for the most part grew at a good pace. Now it seems a jump from dungeon to dungeon.

Also what the hell is up with worthless
FoSoYa
this guy is a guardian and THIS is what they've left me? WTF? I mean even when you level up all that changes is his level number. What a waste.

ronito said:
wow that glitch sounds horrible.

As for my playthrough I've just defeated
the four fiends...again
I went and saved and then went up against the
CPU
and all it took was 2 attacks and my party was completely wiped out. My Cecil is at level 68. Any tips?

Kill the attack sphere with Ramuh first. Then kill the CPU, THEN the defense sphere. Do it in any other order and you will get owned. Your Cecil is WAY overleveled BTW, I was probably at level 55 when I killed CPU.

FoSoYa
this guy is a guardian and THIS is what they've left me? WTF? I mean even when you level up all that changes is his level number. What a waste.

You ought to give him your 2 crappiest augments before the battle. Just take my word for it.

Christine

ronito said:
FoSoYa

Kill him before the end of any major combat so he doesn't get xp. He is pretty worthless, but his decants are awesome.

ronito said:
ummm...okay.

He's right. Do it.

Gunloc said:
So I finally got my copy of this game and started doing some research. I've just been made aware of a glitch that involves the
Lunar Whale
. I'll spoiler it just in case.

Apparently if you land it on Earth and then walk away from it causing it to go off screen than there is a chance it will disappear permanently. If you save after this happens you are screwed and will have to start over. I have the North American version by the way.

Now, has anyone here ran into this glitch? Considering it can be a game breaking glitch, and that there are also some other game crashing glitches in the game, I'm just wondering if perhaps Square Enix is going to do an exchange program.

I've been waiting for this game for quite awhile so I don't really want to start until I know if SE is going to address this.

UGH.

Reminds me of the glitch in FF3 where you can walk around a certain mountain range and can't walk back. I lost my boat and about 10 or so hours worth of progress. =/

PepsimanVsJoe said:
UGH.

Reminds me of the glitch in FF3 where you can walk around a certain mountain range and can't walk back. I lost my boat and about 10 or so hours worth of progress. =/

How do you people find these glitches? And then save over all your slots before finding out you're stuck?

Woo-Fu said:
Hmm, I'm sensing a connection here. Game gets a heck of a lot easier if you put Draw and Counter on Cecil, for instance.

I'd say that Draw Attacks is the most useful augment in the game, followed by counter, Cry (which I missed), Fast Talker and Omnicast.

Death_Born said:
How do you people find these glitches? And then save over all your slots before finding out you're stuck?

Well it's not like I went around the mountain, saved all at once, turned around and went "FUCK".

I went around the mountain, saved, visited a town or two and a cave, saved some more, did a lot of leveling, saved over my other slots thinking I had my stuff together, then turned around and went "FUCK"

rhino4evr

Death_Born said:
I'd say that Draw Attacks is the most useful augment in the game, followed by counter, Cry (which I missed), Fast Talker and Omnicast.

The combo of Draw Attacks, Counter, and Kick on Cecil is full of win.

Also.. so far my favorite augment has been Dual Cast, but I havnet gotten Omnicast yet, I just landed on the moon.

I don't think the game is THAT diffiicult, it's more trial and error. Pretty much every boss can be defeated easily if you know what strategy to use. Some strats are a bit silly though..for instance
stealing from Rubicante to avoid Inferno makes no sense, but is almost required to finish him.

like EGM said, the game almost requires you to use a strat guide. Especially if you are going for all the augments.

ronito

rhino4evr said:
I don't think the game is THAT diffiicult, it's more trial and error. Pretty much every boss can be defeated easily if you know what strategy to use. Some strats are a bit silly though..for instance
stealing from Rubicante to avoid Inferno makes no sense, but is almost required to finish him.
WTF??? I had no idea you could do that.

Barrett2

ronito said:
WTF??? I had no idea you could do that.

Same here. For me the game has become a lot more fun since I spent an entire two days auto-battling to level up everyone, and also going to a FAQ as soon as I die at least 2x on a boss. Having to re-fight bosses over and over kills a game for me.

vareon said:
Cecil just transformed into a Paladin and now I'm leveling up a bit (a lot actually).

Game's awesome all the way, but I found two things that annoy me :

- 99% map because I missed a pixel.

This.

I just finished the quest
for the Earth crystal
and couldn't get to a pixel because of some strange invisible wall. Whatever.

Also, I almost got pissed when
the dark elf cast Fira and killed my whole party, only to see the cutscene and smash him right after

Really enjoying the game so far. I had a lot of fun with FF3 on DS, but IV is such a big leap in terms of variations in gameplay and my interest in the story.

I almost done with the game..

Im soaking it in..

im gonna play again after this play through and level my characters like no other with autobattle somewhere..

Probably get cecil really high after he becomes a paladin.

Also gonna start working on every augment.

prodystopian said:
This.

I just finished the quest
for the Earth crystal
and couldn't get to a pixel because of some strange invisible wall. Whatever.

If you get 99% you will be screwed later on. You should go back through the cave and try to find the largest point where you might have missed a pixel. It is completely possible to get 100%.

Death_Born said:
If you get 99% you will be screwed later on. You should go back through the cave and try to find the largest point where you might have missed a pixel. It is completely possible to get 100%.

How will I be screwed later on? Don't I just get items for 100%?

Edit: Good to know, thanks.

prodystopian said:
How will I be screwed later on? Don't I just get items for 100%?

There's an augment when you get 100% on all maps in the game, which increases enemy drop rate of rare items. It's the only way you can get the augment that stops enemy encounters or the rare equips (I didn't bother with those, too much of a pain, but they make NewGame+ a piece of cake)

tim1138

So did they change the levels at which you learn spells? I remember from the SNES version that Rydia learned Flare at 50 and Meteo(r) at 60. Just 50 with her and nada.

rhino4evr

tim1138 said:
So did they change the levels at which you learn spells? I remember from the SNES version that Rydia learned Flare at 50 and Meteo(r) at 60. Just 50 with her and nada.

think you just answered your own question.

ltse1

rhino4evr said:
The combo of Draw Attacks, Counter, and Kick on Cecil is full of win.

Also.. so far my favorite augment has been Dual Cast, but I havnet gotten Omnicast yet, I just landed on the moon.

like EGM said, the game almost requires you to use a strat guide. Especially if you are going for all the augments.

Didn't know that, I picked up on the reasonable catch on the fight without using Libra:
he absorbs ice with cape covered, but it becomes weakness when cape is behind him. I actually beat him with him doing Inferno regularly. It would kill all but Kain and Cecil so it was a Phoenix Down-fest with Shiva and Flood hitting him when he was open.

Plus, I relish the fact that the strategy guide is necessary for perfectionists, it's just like all the other FFs.

Christine

ltse1 said:
Didn't know that, I picked up on the reasonable catch on the fight without using Libra:
he absorbs ice with cape covered, but it becomes weakness when cape is behind him. I actually beat him with him doing Inferno regularly. It would kill all but Kain and Cecil so it was a Phoenix Down-fest with Shiva and Flood hitting him when he was open.

He's actually got another gimmick besides the
trick with steal - you can cast 'Fire' on him at any time (or use the bomb fragment item, purchasable in Troia and the Dwarven Castle) and Rubicante will cast Raise on your party because he's such a good sport.

ltse1

TwinIonEngines said:
trick with steal - you can cast 'Fire' on him at any time (or use the bomb fragment item, purchasable in Troia and the Dwarven Castle) and Rubicante will cast Raise on your party because he's such a good sport.

WAT! irony likes to slap my ass, wink then give me the finger gun omg

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TwinIonEngines said:

Really!? That's ridiculous :lol

Amir0x

Banned
boy time really helps you forget how ridiculous some games are

This game has more fake deaths and fake death scenes and real death scenes than any other RPG ever made. It's almost like a parody RPG, every other scene is some melodramatic soliloquy about seeking revenge or FIGHTING ON or NEVER GIVING UP HOPE as some absurd inconsequential character who you never had any time to even give a shit about takes his last breath.

Ancient RPG is ancient.

vareon

Amir0x said:

This game has more fake deaths and fake death scenes and real death scenes than any other RPG ever made. It's almost like a parody RPG, every other scene is some melodramatic soliloquy about seeking revenge or FIGHTING ON or NEVER GIVING UP HOPE as some absurd inconsequential character who you never had any time to even give a shit about takes his last breath.

Ancient RPG is ancient.

Agreed. Everytime I saw a cutscene I was instantly reminded that this is a 1991 game. It was filled with every RPG cliches imaginable. That was what made the game a classic, I guess.

Anyway, spoilers after you go underground, need some advice :

Golbez kicked the shit out of my party effortlessly. It's my third time trying already. I never knew how I made it past the double boss battle back in the SNES version with such difficulty o_O

ronito

Amir0x said:

Ancient RPG is ancient.
this is very true. Which is why I look forward to the possibility of FFV or FFVI remakes because really I see FFIV as the beginning of the evolution of Final Fantasy. I'd be interesting to be able to see the genre mature in remakes. But it's all very silly especially the end where
everyone becomes a king or queen that's silly
yet despite the silliness i'm still having fun.

Amir0x

Banned
vareon said:
Agreed. Everytime I saw a cutscene I was instantly reminded that this is a 1991 game. It was filled with every RPG cliches imaginable. That was what made the game a classic, I guess.

Anyway, spoilers after you go underground, need some advice :

Golbez kicked the shit out of my party effortlessly. It's my third time trying already. I never knew how I made it past the double boss battle back in the SNES version with such difficulty o_O

This is the battle in
Dwarf Castle, right?

My tips:

1. Cast "Slow" on Golbez right as battle starts
2. Learn the timing of the battle and after around two and a half, three turns Golbez will summon his creature and kill everyone... IIRC from the old version if you're on the money, you can have Kain jump and avoid this shit.
3. So it'd be Cecil, Rydia and Kain. Revive Yang and Rosa, taking care to ensure you have another character right behind you healing the revived characters. Cure your entire party.
4. Beat down on the mother fucker. Basically the strategy for me was this. Have Rosa cast shell if you're having trouble surviving the nukes, have someone cast Libra to check the weakness of Golbez, and immediately follow that up with Rydia summoning the corresponding Eidolon. Battle shouldn't end too far down the line.

vareon

Amir0x said:
This is the battle in
Dwarf Castle, right?

My tips:

1. Cast "Slow" on Golbez right as battle starts
2. Learn the timing of the battle and after around two and a half, three turns Golbez will summon his creature and kill everyone... IIRC from the old version if you're on the money, you can have Kain jump and avoid this shit.
3. So it'd be Cecil, Rydia and Kain. Revive Yang and Rosa, taking care to ensure you have another character right behind you healing the revived characters. Cure your entire party.
4. Beat down on the mother fucker. Basically the strategy for me was this. Have Rosa cast shell if you're having trouble surviving the nukes, have someone cast Libra to check the weakness of Golbez, and immediately follow that up with Rydia summoning the corresponding Eidolon. Battle shouldn't end too far down the line.

Thanks! I guess my main mistake is trying to revive my party members right at the start the battle, they just got killed the next turn. I'll try it right away.

Barrett2

Amir0x said:

Ancient RPG is ancient.

I have been thinking the same thing. While I am having a lot of fun with the game, and the 30 hours invested have flown by, it is funny to look at the goofiness of this game as a pre-cursor to the melodramatic, over the top productions that JRPGs would move ever-closer towards.

But at the same time, this game is yet another reminder of why I love RPGs. Like I said before, I can't believe I have already sunk 30 hours into the game, and have loved almost every minute of it. There is just something about these cheesy grind-fests that I can't get enough of.

vareon

Thanks to Amir0x's advice, I've finally gotten past that point. I misread the advice though :lol

I thought I must cast slow right after Rydia joins. Kinda freaked out since neither Cecil nor Rydia knows Slow, and I must frantically search for Spider Silk in my inventory. I'm in active mode so Golbez just attacked me continuously with magic :lol Everything turned out fine, though, then I spammed him with Eidolons and he was gone in three turns.

Now let's continue the journey in underworld, perhaps grind a bit since I have much free time. A very satisfying experience so far.

rhino4evr

just finished
CPU..think is hilarious that FuYoSoYouGoo tells you to kill the defense droid first, when it's the last thing you want to kill.
what an asshole.

vareon said:
Thanks to Amir0x's advice, I've finally gotten past that point. I misread the advice though :lol

I thought I must cast slow right after Rydia joins. Kinda freaked out since neither Cecil nor Rydia knows Slow, and I must frantically search for Spider Silk in my inventory. I'm in active mode so Golbez just attacked me continuously with magic :lol Everything turned out fine, though, then I spammed him with Eidolons and he was gone in three turns.

Now let's continue the journey in underworld, perhaps grind a bit since I have much free time. A very satisfying experience so far.
I did...

Get Rosa up immediately after he kills everyone.. then cast Libra.. see what his weakness is on the bottom DS screen (Since it changes) and have Rydia cast whatever that is.. dies fast

Top Bottom